PDA

View Full Version : Becoming Successful

SostenutO
05-03-2005, 09:20 PM
How does one become successful as a musician. I mean, what made very famous piano players very famous? I'm sure there are tons of piano players that are exceptionally great but they may make it no where whatsoever.

Los Boleros
05-03-2005, 09:27 PM
How does one become successful as a musician. I mean, what made very famous piano players very famous? I'm sure there are tons of piano players that are exceptionally great but they may make it no where whatsoever.Boy I wish there was a good answer for this one because even at the age of 42, I still aspire for world recognition. Why do so many Andre Segovias out there go un-noticed while the Beastie boys make millions. I am shure luck has alot to do with it. Being connected with the right people has got to be a big factor. If that is all there was to it, I would have to say that it is just not fair. Success should rightfully go to persevearance, integrity and genious above all other coinsidences.

SostenutO
05-03-2005, 09:31 PM
I guess it matters if you take some risks yourself. You can't become successful if you never try to get yuor name out there.

Len H
05-04-2005, 12:07 AM
How does one become successful as a musician. I mean, what made very famous piano players very famous? I'm sure there are tons of piano players that are exceptionally great but they may make it no where whatsoever.

I define becoming a successful musician as someone who has command of their instrument and their music. This doesn't mean playing faster than the next guy, it really is all about being able to channel sounds into music. Notice how this has nothing to do with how much money one makes in the music industry. It is a shame that the two don't go hand in hand.

Eccojedi
05-12-2005, 02:38 AM
How does Ashlee Simpson sell a million albums when I can't even sell one? One would probably be save to guess that it has to do with what they call the "casting couch."

delicious
05-12-2005, 08:36 AM
innovation.
image sells.
appeal to the masses (may not be good, but thats what makes one famous)

ChrisJ
05-12-2005, 03:33 PM
If I have to summerize business in general (not just the music business) I would say this: It is easier making a product than selling it. You could make the greatest music ever heard but if you don't market it, it will never find its way into anyones home. Why did Beta fail and VHS dominate? Microsoft/Macintosh? Marketing and a good business plan.

I don't find it unfair that the music industry doesn't recognize talent over salability, after all,they don't force anyone to buy CDs. The record industry for the most part wants to sell CDs rather than promote art. It is not a strange idea.

To be successful in the business means you have to be willing to bend, try anything, accept any work offered, wear some different hats, be a decent guy, go where there is work. A good education helps as well as dedication. Being a good player is a plus. Teaching others is too.

When you have these things together, you can try your hand at your own brand of music. Write it, practice it, record it, market it and sell it. It is not as hard as you might think. Focus on what you can do rather than what you can't.

Success is in the eye of the beholder. I have made a living as a guitarist for 22 years and although most people don't know my name I feel successful and greatfull. My clarinet teacher told my mother when I was eight that I was not suited for music but I have done nothing else for over half my life. I say he was not suited to be a teacher or a judge of talent or motivation.

The famous people who I know all have one thing in common and it is not raw talent, it is simply determination. They refuse to do anything else.

I wrote an article for IBM on the subject, read it if you have a little time:
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/150

-CJ

Koala
05-12-2005, 03:37 PM
I
The famous people who I know all have one thing in common and it is not raw talent, it is simply determination. They refuse to do anything else.

-CJ

This is exactly where I was going. Chris nailed it straight. I think itīs all about determination and being able to overome any obstacles (of whch there will surely be many). Hard work, determination, and the will to live for music will get you there.