PDA

View Full Version : Strictly Neoclassic

phantom
04-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Alright,

here is my contribution to the "most awesomish" strickly series!!

It is kind of 80's/90's neoclassical metal in the style of Malmsteen or MacAlpine.

The chords are:

Am | F/A | Dm | Esus4 E

So pull out those Arpeggios, those runs of doom and those sweeps from hell.

the tempo is 132 bpm and it's time to shred :D.

most important:
have fun ;)

-----
EDIT: THE BACKING TRACK (and some tab) IS ON THE SECOND PAGE OF THIS THREAD!
-----

kadse
04-18-2005, 11:01 PM
I love it. :eek: :D

Kadse-sticking-to-her-playlist :)

rmuscat
04-18-2005, 11:34 PM
super-mega good job ... i love it ... impeccable playing!!! especially the part starting around 00:38...

i'll give it a shot when i'm done with the pitch-axis one ... i doubt i'll post anything though lol ... 138bpms!? my metronome doesn't work at that speed.

sven, buddy, incredible job you always leave me awestruck, never let me down!

Len H
04-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Really good job Sven. I thought the arpeggio section from the 45 second point until just before the end was beautiful. Also very clean playing all around and you certainly show a nice finger vibrato. Can I ask what guitar/amp setup you used? Have you ever thought of making a demo neo-classical CD?

GtrvVampyre
04-19-2005, 03:41 AM
Anyway you could tab out those arpeggios at about 0:29, Loved the arpeggios and the overall take, awesome work and very beautiful man :).

satch_master
04-19-2005, 04:23 AM
wow! your a great guitarist, im very impressed. Judging by the hat i thought you were country music, boy was i wrong. lol.

would you mind explaining what the hell your doing. Are you sticking on the A minor/harmonic minor scale the whole time? i love that sweep part. im guessing that part around 0:26 is sweeping the A minor in all modes across the neck. if you could make a quick tab on a few licks id appreciate that alot. Nice drum machine 2 lol. when you upload the backing ill give it a go!

satch_master
04-19-2005, 04:25 AM
Anyway you could tab out those arpeggios at about 0:29, Loved the arpeggios and the overall take, awesome work and very beautiful man :).
dont get me wrong but i think there dimished arpeggies in the key of A. but yeah, a tab would be great!

Bizarro
04-19-2005, 05:39 AM
Sven, that kicks some serious butt! Awesome vibrato and muted picking!

That drum line is 100% Yngwie :)

Satch, you should try transcribing the licks you like the most and see if Sven can verify them for you.

JailHouseRock
04-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Nice take Phantom!!
Love the arpeggios part and also the rest of it.
Very nice! :)

kadse
04-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Can't stop listening to it! :)

Feels like breathlessly watching someone doing free-climbing on some glacier - but he doesn't slip!! :eek:

CaptainCarma
04-19-2005, 08:22 AM
autsch...!
so, this is what a well trained right hand is good for...

great job sven!

ashc
04-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Awesome stuff !!

I "strickly" can't keep up anymore ! - these are coming faster (in frequency and tempo) than I cope with :D Maybe there's some other forum where everyone is rubbish and I can go there instead... :rolleyes:

teachmeguitar
04-19-2005, 09:26 AM
AMAZING! i listened to it several times, very groovy man. do you mind me asking how long youve been playing?:)

rmuscat
04-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Awesome stuff !!

I "strickly" can't keep up anymore ! - these are coming faster (in frequency and tempo) than I cope with :D Maybe there's some other forum where everyone is rubbish and I can go there instead... :rolleyes:

lmao!! exactly my thoughts before i went to sleep. I was thinking of buying a triangle and join a triangle forum ...

Guess what ... woke up with an incredible urge to practice though, Guitar!!! Ah well will take a few years to get anywhere decent and if/when i get a job it will take 3x that.... bah...

hey kadse! your comments are not objective you know the guy :p :p :p :rolleyes: ... just kidding :D

phantom
04-19-2005, 10:00 AM
@Kadse

I love it.

Thanks a lot! Your opinion means obviously very much to me! I love YOU! :o

@rmuscat
You always have the kind words that.. erm.. make me play faster. lmao :D
Thank you buddy.

@Len H

Can I ask what guitar/amp setup you used?
I used my beloved Fender HM Strat (it is it's colour that makes me play 80's stuff :eek: ) i played it through a crate combo and miked it with a Rode nt-3.

@GtrvVampyre

Anyway you could tab out those arpeggios at about 0:29,
Thanks for the kind words! I make sure to tab that stuff out.
Might take a few days though since i'm strickly under stress these days.
Thanks anyway ;).

@satch_master

Judging by the hat i thought you were country music, boy was i wrong.
Never judge people by their hats, you see!? :D.
If i would judge you by your pic you would be... Satriani :eek:.
no, thanks for liking it, and i'll tab that stuff out. Thumbs up ;)

@Bizarro

Satch, you should try transcribing the licks you like the most and see if Sven can verify them for you.
Thanks for the comments! I have to heal my blisters today - thanks to exzessive vibrating.. duh.
that suggestion to the satch_meister is great - would be a good learning effect.

@JailhouseRock
Thanks for liking it. the arpeggiopart to me is the most obvious and i might say easiest one - the prob is to fill the spaces between playing arpeggios. *lol*.

@CaptainCarma
Ja, autsch.. Blasen geholt :D.
Thanks - and yes, the right hand had pretty much to do.
that thing was really getting me sweat litteraly!

@ashc
you know what i would really like to hear?
a synth solo of you in between 2 takes - in the old fashioned Malmsteen / Johansson manner!
could you do that? or maybe a Kraftwerk/Faltermeier solo? :)

@teachmeguitar

Hey i got your 1st post!! (or 2nd?)
Thanks a lot!
I've been playing 17 Years now.
I expecially like that fact that you say it's groovy! Honestly - that's quiet important to me.

THANKS ALL - and the backing will come tonight. since work is during the day and teaching in the evening *yikes*.

ashc
04-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Sven - OK, I'm in. Guitar - Synth - Guitar version in the pipe - could take a while as I'm a bit short on time this week. But it will come ! I'll try to avoid sounding too Rammstein.. :D

mattblack850
04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Awesome stuff !!

Let me know when you find it and I'll come with you!!!!!
Either that or we set up our own 'i BreatheSlower' forum!!!:D :D

mattblack850
04-19-2005, 10:49 AM
It is kind of 80's/90's neoclassical metal in the style of Malmsteen or MacAlpine.

Great job Sven!!!:D

Unfortunatly the only MacAlpine I can play like is in the construction business!!!:D :D (I think he had some Irish Fussiliers!!!!!!!):p

phantom
04-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Sven - OK, I'm in. Guitar - Synth - Guitar version in the pipe - could take a while as I'm a bit short on time this week. But it will come ! I'll try to avoid sounding too Rammstein..

ashc,
when i post the backing tonight, maybe we can have a traiding solo thing going on! you just pick every 2nd round, and we post it to let the others fill the gaps with guitar!
Personally i wouldn't mind a strickly rammstein thread :D. hmm.....

@mattblack850

:D thanks as well..don't worry about this one then.. i'll maybe do a strickly country one soon. a slower one. ;)

ashc
04-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Sven, OK sounds fun ! I'll try to make a me only multi-instrumental version and then cut my bad guitar playing out for the multi-instrumentalist head cutting version! :eek:

UKRuss
04-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Sven,

I thought it was ok...

Nahhhhhh, only kidding:D

Great stuff!

Question is...has anyone else got the balls to post a version???

ashc
04-19-2005, 06:45 PM
C'mon Russ you've got the chops! Unless you want to wait for the naff synth dueling version - I recommend you do it now :D

UKRuss
04-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Well, I'm up for having a go as always.:D

Can't promise anything on Sven's level though:(

...just waiting for the backing track.:p

phantom
04-20-2005, 07:10 AM
Finally here it is.
a bit late due to internet/telephone probs at home - so i had to burn it on cd and upload it now at work - and hope not to get fired for that :eek:.

There are a lot of scales and (odd) notes you could use!
Since every chord is two bars long, you have a bit time to experiment.
Try hearing the melody first in your head and then figure it out on the guitar, or just practice your pentatonic licks over it - whatever you do, i hope it will be usefull and makes you improve. :)

I used: A minor, A harmonic minor, A hungarian minor, and a bit A minor pentatonic with a b5 (blues scale).

I tabbed out the ending arpeggios for now, but will deliver a bit more soon (couldn't tab the whole thing out yesterday :rolleyes: ).

UKRuss
04-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Sweeeet. Right, wait til I get home!!

satch_master
04-20-2005, 12:27 PM
yeh, Thanks for the tab phantom, really great stuff, im learning the licks right now. didnt even realise there was 2 guitars playing the minor 3rd till i saw the tab, very cacophony! cant wait for you to tab out some more parts. BTW, is it hard to make power tabs, ive tried before in guitar pro and stuff, but i struggled making simple riffs, do you think it is because i dont know much about beats, rests and time signatures, some of this stuff looks impossible to transribe on a computerised program. For those people that transcibe YJM songs i praise them cause i believe its harder to tab it out on a pc than actually playing it. so help us out please.

UKRuss
04-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi Satch.

I suggest learning a bit of notation format. It's very helpful.

There may be some articles around here on it or you can certainly buy simple books showing you the value of notes and the like. Your minims, crotchets, quavers and so on.

It's not too hard to get your head round and once you get into it, it becomes much easier to transcribe.

A good skill to have.

I'm getting into it more now and enjoying it.

Mind you, there is a world of difference between me tabbing out a few of my basic runs that I have done on the strickly series and being able to tab out Malmsteen!:D

phantom
04-20-2005, 12:43 PM
do you think it is because i dont know much about beats, rests and time signatures

Yep, i think so satch_master.
hmm.. we should really have a rhythm article here on ibreathe.. that would help you out i guess.
as for being complicated: if the rhythm is steady it is easier to transcribe and tab out.
as you see in my tab, there is that bar of sixtuplets and the rest is straight 16th notes. that was tabbed in 5 minutes.
for other parts it is a bit more of a hassle cause i have to figure out the right note length, where i played it exactly within the bar and so on...

yeah the tab sounds a lot like cacophony - i realized that as well after i tabbed it out. in the recorded version i had the 2nd voice not that loud - i wanted to have just a slight harmony that is not overrunning everything else since it sounds pretty fat anyway.
after listening to it again for a few times i think i should have thinned the leads out a bit.. cut more bass frequencies and so on, then the harmony part could have been stronger. oh well. :D.

UKRuss
04-20-2005, 12:47 PM
"Strickly Mix Down"

phantom
04-20-2005, 12:50 PM
YEAH..lol

and "strickly pay my telephone bill to be able to upload stuff from home"

that's my next projekt. :(

Los Boleros
04-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Wow, Sven. Great playing! I am gonna edit your solo to keep looping and burn it so I can listen in the car!:D

phantom
04-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks Rudy!!

that's what i did as well...
then i got caught for speeding :D.

rmuscat
04-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Wow, Sven. Great playing! I am gonna edit your solo to keep looping and burn it so I can listen in the car!:D

always happens with this guy ... i have a song excerpt from him i downloaded when i joined ibreath and the "show and tell" was still around. I still listen to it ... we're talking 1.5 years ago or so!

UKRuss
04-20-2005, 01:39 PM
...and who can forget Sven's seminal piece "Herpes":D

We need a "PhantomThorstenEric" combo "Strickly":)

Thorsten
04-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Hey guys, couldntīhelp but participate here. ;) Sorry for the bad sound, was a quick shot...

Sven, awesome track there and a great solo, very melodic! Letīs hear some more from everybody!

Have fun
TK

mattblack850
04-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Whoa, awesome Thorsten!!!!:D

One day I shall awaken from this dream and be able to play at about 1/4 of that speed!!!!!!:D

rmuscat
04-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey guys, couldntīhelp but participate here. ;) Sorry for the bad sound, was a quick shot...

Sven, awesome track there and a great solo, very melodic! Letīs hear some more from everybody!

Have fun
TK

awesome stuff Thorsten ... lmao ... you guys make laugh in awe - your playing is awesome!

love it!

phantom
04-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks Thorsten!

If i could only listen to it... duh :( .
I'll check if i can download it at a friends house.

Thanks anyway for participating!

;)

Buebo
04-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Jesus this is some sickkk guitar playing. Lovely job both Phantom and Thorsten. This is one of the first things I hear from you Sven, and I'm mighty impressed. Gotta check out more of the stuff you posted here! And Thorsten as always crazy but cool guitaring, gotta ask what kinda style will your solo album be in?

Greets,
Buebo.

flathead
04-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Holy cow, that was sweet, Thorsten

UKRuss
04-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Just mind bending playing Thorstendude.

But not one to be scared off in the face of such professionalism, we amatuers post back with our nonsensical rubbish.

My ending's better than yours...err...so there...;)

well ok, maybe not better.:(

But I had fun anyway:D

rmuscat
04-20-2005, 10:02 PM
hey russ i really like it dude! its fine!
There are some really good musical moments going on in general. Some glitches here and there timing etc, but you know that.

Yeah i like it ... ends cool ... sorry guys russ gets the cool ending award lol

I'm working on mine sven you cost me burning fingers and a broken G-String :D won't make it today though i'm strickly overplaying through pain...

UKRuss
04-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Kind words Bobmeister! Thanks.

And thanks for the award. (Told ya, Thorsten LOL)

If we can't play as well, we can certainly make up for it by making funny noises with the stick attachment thingy on the guitar.:D

UKRuss
04-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Bobby, I have a solution to the broken G-String issue...

...wear boxer shorts instead when you play guitar;)

satch_master
04-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Thorsten is :D GOD.
need i say more...
great lightning YJM speed, your bends and vibrato are perfected.
I honestly thought that was YJM playing it.
blown away by your playing and technique, yet again!

Russ, good effort, i seriously should have listened to your take before Thorsten's take, for the simple reason that you always listen to the best last, otherwise everything sounds sub par . But it was still fun, i liked your metal jam take to lol.

oh yeah BTW, did i mention Thorsten is GOD? lol

UKRuss
04-21-2005, 07:31 AM
yeah...I played left handed though.. Just to give him a chance, you know;)

ashc
04-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Nice take Russ !

I was wondering about that left handed upside down stringing thing that Thorsten does.. if I could do that (and play like that). I might have to take a weeks holiday each year travelling round guitar shops, acting "dumb" letting the saturday boy show me his licks, then picking up the guitar the wrong way (guy thinks "oh oh") and then blowing him away... :D

UKRuss
04-21-2005, 08:04 AM
Cheers Ashdude.

Ah, the classic metal guitarists fantasy. "The Music Shop God Scenario"

ashc
04-21-2005, 08:15 AM
errm, yeah, must stop watching those Bill & Ted films.. :D

satch_master
04-21-2005, 08:19 AM
hahaahaha, russ.

i like the word nonsense. Its good euphemism for "mediocre" or "not as good at THorsten". here is my nonsense solo. strictly A minor and harm minor. didnt follow any chords on this take.
Maybe i should work my self into a YJM mood, then see what comes out.

THIS ONE IS BETTER, LISTEN TO THIS VERSION OF MY TAKE, OLD ONE GOOOOONE!

UKRuss
04-21-2005, 08:20 AM
It is only surpassed by the "Bedroom Wizard" fantasy.

This is where the player believes if he stays playing guitar in his bedroom long enough, somehow he will become the most famous guitarist on earth.

Pah, I moved on from that a long time ago.

...Now I am the "Front Room Sofa Wizard".

SeattleRuss
04-21-2005, 08:50 AM
I discovered this thread a little late but JEEEEZ!! Some great playing!!
I gotta say, that though I don't play in this style much anymore, listening to you guys got me motivated, so I started to have a go the backing. What's killing me is that I just switched up to .011s on my strat and for this style, it's absolutely killing my hands!

I just took this pic 5 minutes ago. The lighting doesn't really reveal how BLACK my fingertips are!
http://www.russletson.com/images/dirty_fingers.jpg

Maybe after some coffee in the morning I'll have another go and see if I can come up with something "postable" :D

And again - great playing guys!!!!

phantom
04-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Geeez!!

That looks like hard work Russ!!

My hands look like girlshands compared to yours! (wimpy 9's i play)
I should try 11's as well to get more masculin callouses going. :eek:

phantom
04-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Thorsten, my ears got litteraly shredded to pieces while hearing your version.
so much control and articulation - great great playing!
Hey maybe we can have a combined thing going on with ashc on the keyboards!! whatcha think? ;).
The three of us could have traiding solos, wouldn't that be cool!

UKRuss:
as i p.m.ed already - i'm astonished by your shred-abbilities! double thumbs up dudepuppet!

couldn't hear the others yet, but looking forward to more contributions!

SeattleRuss! Keep going and shredding those strings to the ground, im looking forward to your take!

SeattleRuss
04-21-2005, 09:15 AM
LOL!
The thing is, is with the .011s, my picking doesn't slow down really but the bendy, slurry stuff does suffer a bit.

BTW Sven - Nice take on that track. As a certain Swede would say, you "unleashed the fookin' FURY!"

phantom
04-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks Russ! ;)

you "unleashed the fookin' FURY!"

that's quiet a compliment!
- i have to play boring pop/charts stuff tonight so the fury has be bondaged and put back in the wodden chest again. duh..

UKRuss
04-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Whoooaaaa!

Russ, those aren't fingers...they're leather gloves!!

It makes me weep.

I'm sticking with me 9s.

ps. Thanks for the kind comments phantdude!

SeattleRuss
04-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Actually, they don't hurt now. But they were starting to ache pretty good whilst I was shredding!

Speaking of pain.....wouldn't this be kinda cool?

http://www.russletson.com/images/mavens.jpg

hehe....

phantom
04-21-2005, 10:10 AM
LOL..

Yngwie "the Bulldozer" Malmsteen will scallop his neck :D.

ashc
04-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Hopefully the "deathmatch" version of the backing track that Sven requested will be up tonight or tomorrow... don't expect anything too much of the synth bits :D

I don't know how many times you can decompress / re-compress / update the MP3 before the quality goes down too much...

phantom
04-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I don't know how many times you can decompress / re-compress / update the MP3 before the quality goes down too much...

cool ashc!

i have an idea: post your version, and aditionally for a little bit of quality savings, you could post the synth track without the backings so it can be assembled direclty to the original. know what i mean? :)

ashc
04-21-2005, 12:53 PM
OK, A couple of 8 bar .wav files coming too! I won't have sync for punch-in/out to your original click so you'll need to slide the files around a bit to get them in sync.

Then I was thinking... my "retro electro" is likely not going to challenge the ibreathe shredders in the right way for this track - well, maybe it does... But, anyway if the experiment works we should convince someone with real keyboard chops e.g. =Bob= to really give you guys something to go up against.

phantom
04-21-2005, 01:00 PM
I won't have sync for punch-in/out to your original click so you'll need to slide the files around a bit to get them in sync.

cool - no prob1

as far as style and speed concerns: it would be even better to have some other vibes in between than just nailing sixtuplets from start to end and following the guitarcliques.
Plays those synths as they flow out of your brain and heart, not as you think they would be expected by others - then you can't make a mistake!

ashc
04-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Much wisdom in you there is!

phantom
04-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Much wisdom in you there is!

Yep.. plus a lot of bullsh*t. :D

Did someone tell you before that you look exactly like Yoda from Star Wars? :eek:

mattblack850
04-21-2005, 02:34 PM
That photo of Yoda..........................
Add a Cowboy hat, the cocked head pose............
Remind you of anyone???:p

Thorsten
04-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the really nice words! Guess I just had too much coffee before I played it... ;)

Iīm definitely in for that solo trading thing, sounds like fun!

Later
TK

phantom
04-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Cool that is master Thorsten! *phantomtalkswithyodasvoice*

So we wait for ashc's synthstuff, i'll record a bit of guitars then i put it back here and you take it and do the same.. or vice a versa.
;)

Mateo150
04-21-2005, 03:44 PM
It is only surpassed by the "Bedroom Wizard" fantasy.

This is where the player believes if he stays playing guitar in his bedroom long enough, somehow he will become the most famous guitarist on earth.

Pah, I moved on from that a long time ago.

...Now I am the "Front Room Sofa Wizard".
Nice take btw... fav part was the driving off in the car bit ala Floyd.

But ermmm more importantly, Strange fantasies you guitarists have.... I'd hate to tell ya my bedroom fantasys.... but it does involve monkey bars, a tire swing, 23 gallons of KY, some "famous" people, the hall of mirrors in Versaille, and a magnatized belt & ceiling..... and a pastrami sandwich

mattblack850
04-21-2005, 03:50 PM
But ermmm more importantly, Strange fantasies you guitarists have.... I'd hate to tell ya my bedroom fantasys.... but it does involve monkey bars, a tire swing, 23 gallons of KY, some "famous" people, the hall of mirrors in Versaille, and a magnatized belt & ceiling..... and a pastrami sandwich
WHAT???? No Mars bar????

ashc
04-21-2005, 06:28 PM
The .wav files were huge, even zipped, (maybe I could .mp3 those), but in the meantime for keen "deathmatchers" here is a complete backing track with added synth breaks. Its in the 1.5MB limit at 128Kb/s should it be good enough for now!

Two ways to use it: 1) Like me, gives you a break from guitar to think of what to play next :D 2) change of guitarist.

The track has 6 * 8 bar progression repeats. Synth is on 2 + 4, you are on 1,3,5+6. I actually come in at bar 7 of pass with a sustained bass A, then G# in 8 to highlight the Esus4 to E so you can harmonise with that bit....

Anyway, I did it real quick before the supermarket run and now I'm back I decided it will do - apologies for weird phrasing, but it will get worse if I start trying" If tonight goes well I'll add my guitar (and get back to Hirajoshi!)

ashc
04-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Well the guitar didn't go well - this one is way out of my league! - but it was tonight or never..

Anyway, So now you get to hear both instruments I can't play in one shot!

satch_master
04-21-2005, 11:00 PM
asch- i can see you might not be the fastest or best guitarist, but you had some really kool licks i was diggin'. As for that synth solo, that was just pure EAR CANDY. great job mate!

I still listen in awe at Thorstens supercharged caffiene overdose shred lol.

satch_master
04-22-2005, 12:28 AM
here is my melodic take, with the synth solo. If you want full on shred listen to my other take. Ive been practising alot on this backing lately. Hope you like the crazy echo, chorus , delay and reverb effects. but it fit the sythn solo sound.

The start is just A minor tapping, second bit starts on a trill then fast AP with Harm. minor , then a malmsteen run i stole in A minor, then a sweep pick of the 2 chords. D minor and C#( or whatever it was). The last part is just a melody i made in A minor.

Schmaus
04-22-2005, 12:54 AM
Ashc, I thought your worked well. The synth was awesome and Im not really even a fan of synth :) . And your guitar parts sounded fine to me, just not at a million notes a minute. It was interesting how it contrasted the fast rythem guitar.

UKRuss
04-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Great work Ash!

Tasty Synth chown and some nicely worked geetar ideas.

Satch and Ash!

I believe....and I'm ready to be proved wrong but certainly in recent months...I believe you are the first two players to collaborate in a "deathmatch" type tune of soloing!

The first IBreathe Strickly collaboration!

Congrats guys!

Awesome work Satch and thanks for the explanation of what you were up to, i think it's important we remember we have to share and learn something from each other to protect the rules and spirit of IBreathe

Malmsteen would be proud of you man, nicely executed licks. You are a different lpayer to the one who first posted on a strickly all those months ago!

ashc
04-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks folks! And nice working with you Satch! :D

Before I get into this kind of thing again I need to cut back on the blues/rock/funk stuff and get up to speed on this tapping/sweeping nonsense and get to work on that great arps section tab from Sven :p

With the synth I just followed the chord tones and added a few passing notes - if I could do that on the guitar then...

phantom
04-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Great ashc,

i grabbed the file and will see what i can do to it :D.

For the single synth tracks, feel free to send them to my e-mail adress.
You can mp3 them as well if tooooo big.

ashc
04-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Sven-Phantom-Yoda-dude,!

OK, see how it goes...

I don't have the .wav files here today (not on the magic memorystick). The home connection is too slow for 2 x 3MB (zipped) .wavs so I think I should send you MP3's of those. I might be able to do that before I disappear for the weekend..

mattblack850
04-22-2005, 02:20 PM
before I disappear for the weekend..
Wow, you do magic as well?????:p

rmuscat
04-22-2005, 02:54 PM
LMAO ... i go put my hand in ice now i had to cut down on speedy attempts ... the tendon pains are moving from day to day now lol.

Messed up in some parts. timing is crap!:mad:

edit: i hate sweeping ... i love the sound and arps when its used perfectly but it took me 1.5 years to nail the basic movement getting it up to speed and making good musical use of is turning into nightmare... well guess i'll have to practice for a few more years bah...

kadse
04-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Since I am blessed with glorious ignorance concerning technique & timing, my comment might not be of much use... :D

At least, I've got these functional ears... :cool:
So: The first half was really cool! And in the second it's a shame that you stopped at ... well, the point you stopped - you should have gone on for another twenty secs or so. It just got interesting. :(

I like your overall sound. :) :) :)

mattblack850
04-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Nice one Bobby!!!

Nice tone, phrasing and note choice!!
I liked this a lot!!

satch_master
04-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Oh thanks for all the kind words guys. Ive came to realise that my passion is for metal/shred and i just wanna concentrate especially on this style of music and technique. I enjoy blues, some jazz, and classic rock but i want to concentrate on good, metal shred and not just wankerish "look how fast i can play type" shred, music and melody has to come first. My aim is to develop my shred technique, ie, tapping, sweeps, fast alternate picking, vibrato and bends, and make interesting phrases and lines like thorsten. How can i not solo good? lol, i mean when the backing is that DAMN GOOD, its almost impossible not to sound good. Yeah , if everyone could explain what there doing it would be benefitial for al of us, something i want to do more often. All the takes so far have been excellent. There is alot of tips on that YJM young guitar video or whatever that you could fit into this solo, ive heard alot of them used here already and i used some myself.

RTB_Chris
04-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Hey, I registered a while back, but this is my first post! I caught this thread and couldn't pass it up. :D

My take on 'neoclassical' is far different than that of most. I have a few mp3's of things I've written in MIDI. Warning: there's no guitar in any of this. :p

Canon: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000168971_000027190.mp3

Rondo: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000057646_000022401.mp3

Minuet & Trio: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000057646_000022400.mp3

Variation on a Bach prelude: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000057646_000023747.mp3

satch_master
04-22-2005, 11:23 PM
LMAO ... i go put my hand in ice now i had to cut down on speedy attempts ... the tendon pains are moving from day to day now lol.

Messed up in some parts. timing is crap!:mad:

edit: i hate sweeping ... i love the sound and arps when its used perfectly but it took me 1.5 years to nail the basic movement getting it up to speed and making good musical use of is turning into nightmare... well guess i'll have to practice for a few more years bah...
lol, watch youself rob, you dont wanna hurt yourself, sounds like you are practising your shred licks too hard!

I liked your solo, some nice licks and very melodic.
Just watch your fast runs, bit mediocre.
And dont worry about trying to sound like malmsteen, you truly got your own unique voice, I mean sure you could improve your technique, but its all good.
I wouldnt mind sounding like malmsteen myself, but not all the time lol. I think that would tick all my friends and family off.:D

UKRuss
04-23-2005, 08:22 AM
I liked your take Bobbydude. Your always putting thought into how your going to weave a melody and utilise arps to come up wth something different:D

:cool:

rmuscat
04-23-2005, 09:39 AM
@kadse
Thanks for your kind words! Of course at some point i was kind of loosing myself. It always happens to me, question of experience i guess. But i'm glad you liked it ... its means a lot after hearing thorsten and sven lol
As for the short take ... well i stuck to the backing, maybe its better like that at some points my fingers where shouting against me to stop lol

@satch
yeah my fast stuff is a bit mediocre but thats the stuff i'm relatively sure about so i stuck with that. Thats the cleanest stuff i could rip at that speed. I tried some cool pedal points at some points but i just couldn't keep up ... time to get hybrid picking seriously in the mix (or practice) :D

MattBlack & Russ thanks for your words of course. Russ we are pure lunatics posting after those previous wicked takes... We'll delete the posts when everyone forgets about the thread lol.

AshC i loved your synth takes i got shivers down my spine listening! honestly! Cool use of those bends too! I should give a couple of shots by transcribing your synth stuff on guitar should be cool.

ChrisRTB i guess i "know" you do i? My etude supplier lol. Your midi stuff is great compositionally. It would be really cool to have some thread started about this stuff, maybe some tips on classical composition, analysis of these pieces etc. Also, thinking about it, it would be cool to have a strickly compose etude thread! :eek: :rolleyes:

JailHouseRock
04-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Whoa!! I was a bit late and there were like 3-4 pages going on.:eek: Screw the internet service at my area. I haven't got it for like 2 and a half days!! :( Thanks god, the prob was fixed now.

Nice take everybody. I really like it especially the one from Thorsten!! *jaw dropped*..
@Ashc, nice take on synth+guitar. Really cool sound.
@Rob, nice phrasing, melodies. Keep it up!
@Satch, very nice intro at the Satch_synthmelodic. Pretty similar to RR solos in Mr Crowley.
@phantom, thanks for the tab. I really dig the stuff.

I thought it would be cool to make some keyboards/synth solo battle with guitar solo. The stuff like Janne Warmen and Alexi Laiho (children of bodom) , Jens Johnson and TimoiTolkki (stratovarius) made. That would be awesome. ;)

Anyway, I'd just sit, watch and listen lol , since I don't have distortion pedal. And the small amp's distortion don't sounds *distort* though. But I'm happy to listen and learn some new licks/melodies from you guys. Keep it coming! :D

Bande
04-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi again!

So here's my take for this cool backing. The only thing that made me angry that sweep picking and pedal tone are things that are often used in neoclassical shred, but these two techniques rrreally beat me. (Actually one of my friends who's a big shredder told me that learning sweep picking was way easy for him) well, I can't manage to sweep pick an arpeggio accurately even at 100bpm!!! I just don't feel it maybe?

So my take lacks sweeping and pedal tones, and it's really what my playing is usually like - many notes, but no sense in it.

RTB_Chris
04-23-2005, 04:51 PM
ChrisRTB i guess i "know" you do i? My etude supplier lol. Your midi stuff is great compositionally. It would be really cool to have some thread started about this stuff, maybe some tips on classical composition, analysis of these pieces etc. Also, thinking about it, it would be cool to have a strickly compose etude thread! :eek: :rolleyes:
:eek: Yeah...that's me...the cat is outta the bag. :D I saw 'neoclassic' and couldn't resist the thread. One specifically aimed at classical compositional stuff would be cool, although I'd probably end up spending way too many hours in it. :D

satch_master
06-13-2005, 09:20 AM
i have been learning learn alot of YJM,cacophony. so my chops and speed have improved abit. especially my APicking.
this is a good take. has tapping, AP, sweeping. nice and melodic and fast aswell.

Bande- Your AP is on par man!
However you could improve your tone greatly and your variety of notes you play, try and make it a bit more melodic or creative.

Apple-Joe
06-19-2005, 09:51 PM
i have been learning learn alot of YJM,cacophony. so my chops and speed have improved abit. especially my APicking.
this is a good take. has tapping, AP, sweeping. nice and melodic and fast aswell.

Bande- Your AP is on par man!
However you could improve your tone greatly and your variety of notes you play, try and make it a bit more melodic or creative.

You've got a very interesting style. I thought I was listening to satch-great, but I was listening to satch-good (your first recording). And in that recording, you sounded out of tune. I noticed it very early. However, you style is something on it's own. You can play fast, and you are able to come up with interesting and original licks. It also sounds like you get carried away and enjoy the playing very much.

Listening to the newest recording now. Sounds like you been working a bit on your technique. I even liked it in the first recording, but now you've progressed. Nice harmonies too. I am getting more and more into neo-classical guitar music, so this is good considering my inspiration.

Do you got any tips on the style? I have been practicing the alternate picking technique heavily lately. I have also focused somewhat on sweeping. What seems to be my problem is playing longer runs. Especially if I'm going to use the whole neck. I haven't thought out "one certain" way of moving up.

EDIT: And if I get to mention one negative side from your recordings; how about including a little bit more distinct vibrato's and focus on feeling? There's a great gap between players like, let's say Stevie Ray Vaughan and one or other neo-classical guitarist who sometimes forgets about feeling. Even if there's a gap between them, doesn't mean that the styles can't be combined. I was about to mention Malmsteen as a representant for the neo-classicals, but I wouldn't use him as an example on a player without feeling, as I think he has got feeling in his playing. And by this I don't mean that I couldn't find feeling in your playing, but how about throwing in another vibrato here and there?

satch_master
06-22-2005, 11:01 AM
well to tell you the truth my bending and vibrato suck. There my weaker points so i tend not to use them much. Man, im pretty ordinary guitar player, but thanks for the kind words. If you think im good just listen to Thorsten Kohene's take on the strictly neo, it is INSANE and rips mine to shreds(no pun intended). He is a good guitarist.

Basically i just learnt a few patterns and scales which means i know pretty much all the neck once i connect them, then i just fly up and down then and do all sorts of variations. I often play very familiar patterns and just go up and down and up and down all over.

If u want inspiration listen to Cacophony, that is some of the fastest, most creative shred arranged for 2 guitars that ive ever heard. Friedman and Becker are a deadly combination. The music is also great aswell, its really nice 80s speed metal influnced with great riffage. Good luck learning it but, some of Beckers sweeps are so bloody fast and it can almost be overkill at times, in terms of shredding/soloing.

in my humble solo, my feel was just to go crazy and fly over the fretboard, hence that how it probably sounds. Not all my solos that i make are fast and emotionless, but since this is a shred piece i felt obliged. :)

JailHouseRock
06-22-2005, 11:15 AM
That was nice Satch! It's like you have improve a lot since the previous one. I was playing it when my friend came to me to see who's playing that. I said it was from a dude on the forum. He was impressed by your playing and so am I! Keep it up!

*off to practice.. :D

Apple-Joe
06-24-2005, 05:22 PM
well to tell you the truth my bending and vibrato suck. There my weaker points so i tend not to use them much. Man, im pretty ordinary guitar player, but thanks for the kind words. If you think im good just listen to Thorsten Kohene's take on the strictly neo, it is INSANE and rips mine to shreds(no pun intended). He is a good guitarist.

Basically i just learnt a few patterns and scales which means i know pretty much all the neck once i connect them, then i just fly up and down then and do all sorts of variations. I often play very familiar patterns and just go up and down and up and down all over.

If u want inspiration listen to Cacophony, that is some of the fastest, most creative shred arranged for 2 guitars that ive ever heard. Friedman and Becker are a deadly combination. The music is also great aswell, its really nice 80s speed metal influnced with great riffage. Good luck learning it but, some of Beckers sweeps are so bloody fast and it can almost be overkill at times, in terms of shredding/soloing.

in my humble solo, my feel was just to go crazy and fly over the fretboard, hence that how it probably sounds. Not all my solos that i make are fast and emotionless, but since this is a shred piece i felt obliged. :)

OK.

When connecting the patterns how do you move up the neck? Do you include many slides? Do you aim for the entire neck or just? I think about this issue quite often, because you will have to find out which method to use when playing in a more horizontal direction. When playing, let's say, the A Minor scale from 5th fret low E to 5th fret high E, you don't need to think that much about it, as your fingers will more or less lay on the strings. However, when using the entire neck you should have a couple of ideas.

Could you give a few words on your habits on this area? I am able to play horizontal, I'm on my way out of the box patterns, but I can't play many fast long runs yet, that uses most of the frets.

EDIT: You were right, satchmaster. I just listened through the rest of the strictly neo-classical takes and there were quite a few impressive attempts. A couple sounded very similar to the professional sound that Yngwie Malmsteen and Vinnie Moore, for instance, provide.

As I've been playing classic rock mostly, this is quite new to me. I have never really decided to learn this style, but now it is about to happen. The harmonic minor scale, which is common in neo-classical music, sounds so strong and it's refreshing to hear another sound than the good-old pentatonic atmosphere.

EDIT II: To any of you shredders out there; do you focus on strict alternate picking, or do you combine with legato where you think it fits? Or maybe you do like guitarist Dave Murray of Iron Maiden and focus mainly on legato wherever it's possible?

satch_master
06-26-2005, 12:12 PM
ok, its hard to explain, i just do simple 3NPS patterns most of the time and because they diatonic you can learn a pattern say.

A ------3-5-6
E 3-5-6------

then just go up octaves to make it more of a run. i think in patterns mostly , and octaves are the easy way to remember scale runs cause its the same pattern repeating and cause its diatonic when you just change keys you move the pattern like wise whalla! no magic indeed.

Glad you like the other takes, mine is humble crap.

Alternate VS Legato , well that a good question. I probably do AP 80% of the time, legato 15% and sweeping 5%. For me, when im soloing i dont think , "ok this next lick has to be legato" it happens automatically when it feels right. I cannot say the same thing for sweeping but, i have to pre think before hand and train myself to get it to sound right up 2 speed(which i still struggle with). so learn AP,legato and Sweep so you got more weapons of mass destruction in your arsenol , but youll tend to use AP the most and you should just play legato when it sounds and feels good, without thinking about it.

Apple-Joe
06-29-2005, 12:05 PM
ok, its hard to explain, i just do simple 3NPS patterns most of the time and because they diatonic you can learn a pattern say.

A ------3-5-6
E 3-5-6------

then just go up octaves to make it more of a run. i think in patterns mostly , and octaves are the easy way to remember scale runs cause its the same pattern repeating and cause its diatonic when you just change keys you move the pattern like wise whalla! no magic indeed.

Glad you like the other takes, mine is humble crap.

Alternate VS Legato , well that a good question. I probably do AP 80% of the time, legato 15% and sweeping 5%. For me, when im soloing i dont think , "ok this next lick has to be legato" it happens automatically when it feels right. I cannot say the same thing for sweeping but, i have to pre think before hand and train myself to get it to sound right up 2 speed(which i still struggle with). so learn AP,legato and Sweep so you got more weapons of mass destruction in your arsenol , but youll tend to use AP the most and you should just play legato when it sounds and feels good, without thinking about it.

Sounds fair. I like to practice AP as much as possible, as it seems that when my AP improves, my general playing improves.

Apple-Joe
09-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I listened through all of the entries to this strictly again tonight. I noticed that there were many professional and original sounding attempts.

I noticed a specific detail in one of the entries, in "Neo Geo Nonsense". I have a feeling it's UKRuss' entry? It had the characteristic sound. Anyway, what I'm aimiming for is what was going somewhere between the middle and the end of the song. A great effect. An effect I asked how to perform a while ago.

I am not 100 % positive, but it sounded very much like the "purring cat" effect, where you hit a note and slap the whammy bar lightly with your pinky? It was that effect which was incorporated in that recording, wasn't it?

At any rate, a great detail in one of several really good attempts.

UKRuss
09-02-2005, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I tend to do it one of two ways:

First I've picked a note and then while it's ringing I quickly flick the bar, doesn't really matter which finger you use and you get that cat purr effect.

The other way to do it is to have your middle finger on the bar, gently so as not to effect the tuning of your note, and as you pick you flick at the same time so that the cat purrs as soon as you pick the note. That takes a bit of practice but it's a nice effect when you get it right.

I think you get a bigger and longer purr if you have the bar extending down away from the bridge down towards the bottom of the guitar and flick the bar as you hammer one and pull off.

So three different ways to the same end.

Glad you noticed it though:D

Apple-Joe
09-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I tend to do it one of two ways:

First I've picked a note and then while it's ringing I quickly flick the bar, doesn't really matter which finger you use and you get that cat purr effect.

The other way to do it is to have your middle finger on the bar, gently so as not to effect the tuning of your note, and as you pick you flick at the same time so that the cat purrs as soon as you pick the note. That takes a bit of practice but it's a nice effect when you get it right.

I think you get a bigger and longer purr if you have the bar extending down away from the bridge down towards the bottom of the guitar and flick the bar as you hammer one and pull off.

So three different ways to the same end.

Glad you noticed it though:D

The last tips about heading the bar downwards sounded risky, but it all come down to certain level of control I assume. When you know how to perform it, you will do no harm.

Steve-0
10-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Sorry, hope it's not too late to post this.

http://rapidshare.de/files/6171712/solo1.mp3.html

It's all improv except for the harmonized parts so go easy on it.

Far from Thorsten quality but I think it's okay for a improv shred.

I compressed everything after recording.

I'm a little out of practice, and I know I could do better if I wrote a solo, but I don't want to put that much effort into a solo over someone else's jamtrack.

This took two takes, plus one for harmonizing.

I just faded it out a measure before the end instead of soloing all the way to the end.

Hope you like it.:rolleyes:

Steve-0
10-12-2005, 01:29 AM
Also, it's rapidshare hosted so click it, hit free, and scroll all the way down. There's a little twenty second counter and when thats done you can download it.

Sorry, it's the best hosting I know of.

Steve-0
10-12-2005, 01:58 AM
I just realized you can attach files.

I feel like an idiot. :rolleyes:

Thorsten, how long have you been playing?

I started playing metal in March of last year after my punk band split, so I haven't developed much skill yet. I practice consistantly so I am making (SLOW) progress.

UKRuss
10-12-2005, 07:53 AM
Got some nifty chops there Steve!

It did sound a bit disjointed in places as a coherent solo but it was still fun listening to all your licks!

Thorsten
10-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Hey Steve, thanks man! I liked your playing alot! Great licks, great harmonizing!!!

Itīs funny, for me itīs the exact opposite. I started with metal and now Iīm more into punk (the old stuff: Pistols, Clash, etc.) But generally I would say I like all kinds of music!

Keep playing!!!
TK

Steve-0
10-12-2005, 10:17 PM
I started with metal and now Iīm more into punk (the old stuff: Pistols, Clash, etc.) But generally I would say I like all kinds of music.
TK

What other stuff is there? :cool:

Good:

Ramones
Clash
Sham 69
Pistols
Damned
Devo
Costello
many others.......

If you want to hear a great old punk band that has an AMAZING guitarist check out the Toy Dolls. His name is Olga and he has been praised by EVH among many others. Definately not a shredder but he has a quirky original style and amazing note choices. The band is very different from anything that has happened in punk from '79 'till now.

I'm not hugely into neoclassical but I like a lot of it. My alt pick is getting better. I discovered fusion guitar about two weeks ago and have been focusing on legato since then.

Any suggestions of good fusion guitarists? (besides the obvious, DiMeola etc.)

Thorsten
10-13-2005, 04:47 AM
Hey good list there! Yeah, everybody likes the Ramones, theyīre great! I like Blondie, Iīm also a big fan of Gary Numan. Donīt know if he`s considered punk but heīs amazing!

Well, fusion? Hard to define what that is but I like Allan Holdsworth, Scott Henderson, Frank Gambale, Brett Garsed...people who have more of a rock tone.

I heard of the Toy Dolls, thanks for the tip. Iīll check īem out!

furiousnewf
11-02-2005, 02:20 AM
My off the cuff take

Steve-0
11-19-2005, 06:49 AM
Thorsten, is this familiar?:D

Also is there any chance of a tab of the sweet run that's right after this?

Thorsten
11-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Wow, that was really great!!!

Thanx man, I feel honoured that youīre trying to learn one of my solos! (specialy since most of it is improvised and I donīt know what the heck I played...)

So hereīs part of the run I think youīre refering too (as far as I remember).
I use the notes of the G mixolydian scale over the A min root chord and alternate picking throughout.

Let me know how you progress!

Cheers
TK

Steve-0
11-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks alot! I've almost got the run after that one learned and I'm getting that one up to speed (did you have to play it so fast?):D. I probably won't transcribe the whole thing but just peices that I like alot/make good practice for me. Learning by ear is a good exercise.

Thorsten
11-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Learning by ear is a good exercise.

Exactly right!

Let me know when you need some more info.

Looking forward to hear your playing!

Schmaus
12-01-2005, 06:39 AM
What other stuff is there? :cool:

Check out Johnny Thunders as well, he had some great songs.

BigBagBill
12-08-2005, 02:00 PM
!!!!!.....yea..just found the thread.....On a scale from 1 to 10...I would be 1...you guys would be 10..BUT! i just started learning this type of stuff and without the use of a Metranome...I don't really play neo classical..but i love to listen to it, and its too cool not to learn...GAH you guys make me...unhappy lol..bastards!

TonyDas
03-09-2006, 07:15 AM
I happily recorded this, my third strickly piece, and as usual, I save my listening for after I've recorded, so as not to unconsciously pinch ideas from anyone else. But whats the point now :(
I mean, we normal people here are all doing good jobs, I think.
Then along come Thorsten and Phantom, and I sigh...Sigh.. Wow guys!!
Anyway here's my contribution. I wanted to have a little fun with it, so see if you can recognize the main melody ;)
I have no class at all:p
Then after that, I wanted to do a SlowGuy Vs FastGuy duel, just for fun, so I panned them a 50% to either side, using the bridge+mid single coil for the slow guy, and the neck humbucker for the fast guy. I had fun anyway.
Cheers

phantom
03-09-2006, 08:34 AM
I had fun anyway.
Well that is quite something!!!
This isn't about being better than someone else - the point is developing ideas within the given limits (--> striclys)

Great that you participated! Are you going to go through all the striclies? :eek:? That will certainly teach you a lot!!
That's what iBreathe is all about.. progress, not competition. :cool:

Cool to have you around! ;)

--------
p.s.: i couldn't listen your take right now, but i shall try as soon as possible..

TonyDas
03-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Hey Phantom.
Please don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to imply that this was a competition. Only that any hope of competitive spirit is crushed when either you or Thorsten post :p (I haven't listened to everyone's posts, so I don't know if I should be including more names here)
Anyway, I do post with the intention of receiving criticism, and so far EricV has been quite generous :) Thanks Eric.
Oh I forgot to mention though, the string skipped tapped arpeggios I did in the end of this song kinda got away from me and you'll hear a coupla bum notes.
Think of them as passing tones ;)
Thanks again for the great work Phantom
Oh and I'm kinda new here so..what is Thorsten? I mean WHAT?

phantom
03-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Think of them as passing tones
LOL..
That is a cool way to excuse mistakes in general. :)

You know, if one plays those kind of "passing notes" with conviction nobody will blame him for the mistakes and will rather says "hmm.. strange note choice.." :D

Thanks for the comments!
And about the Thorsten.. hmm.. i guess he is a mean machine. :eek:

Apple-Joe
03-09-2006, 04:36 PM
I happily recorded this, my third strickly piece, and as usual, I save my listening for after I've recorded, so as not to unconsciously pinch ideas from anyone else. But whats the point now :(
I mean, we normal people here are all doing good jobs, I think.
Then along come Thorsten and Phantom, and I sigh...Sigh.. Wow guys!!
Anyway here's my contribution. I wanted to have a little fun with it, so see if you can recognize the main melody ;)
I have no class at all:p
Then after that, I wanted to do a SlowGuy Vs FastGuy duel, just for fun, so I panned them a 50% to either side, using the bridge+mid single coil for the slow guy, and the neck humbucker for the fast guy. I had fun anyway.
Cheers

That was a great track! I think I heard a Steve Vai influence in the very beginning, even if I'm not 100 % sure. I am, however, sure about the playing. Great dynamics, I was a little surprised by the speed level which appeared at one point. Quite impressive. I definately need to get more dicipline regarding the picking. This was another reminder.

phantom
03-10-2006, 07:50 AM
For the love of neoclassical! ;)

Tony,
that was really good!!

Love your take on it - very well played and many many cool ideas i heard there!! I really enjoyed listening - several times.

The energy comes across very good, good accuracy, good feel, good vibrato.. all in all the way to go!

Thumbs up dude!!

Apple-Joe
03-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Seconded. TonyDas; Keep on working your way through the rest of the strictlies. I'm eager for more.

UKRuss
03-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh that was sweet TonyD, very sweet. great idea with slow guy vs fast guy.

I liked fast guy more though, thats just cos I like the shreddery. Great licks in there. I love the Vai quote at the beginning it set me off in the right frame of mind.

As for Phantom and TK. Don't worry, they are here to inspire us not demotivate. It fires me up when I hear them play...and believe me, yours did too so no worries!

:D

TonyDas
03-12-2006, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.
@Apple Joe - I'm gonna try as many stricklies as I can. It's already helping so much.
@UKRuss - Thanks for mentioning me in the same line as Phantom and TK :p
@Phantom - Thanks. It was a little sloppy, as was my Strickly Outside work, but like I said, we're not doing studio work here.
Cheers.

Thorsten
03-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Hey Tony,

thanks for your PM! So I checked out your take and your playing sounds really good! You have feel, a musical ear for melody and a good tone. About your fast playing: I donīt know how long youīve been playing but I think youīre on your way to developing a real good technique. I think your problem right now is that youīre trying to rush things too much. Donīt try playing faster then your hands can keep up with and just work a bit on your synchronisation. Fast playing should always be just an extension of your slow playing so it should sound homogeneous and musical otherwise itīs good for nothing.

But all in all really good playing dude! Keep it up!

Cheers
TK

TonyDas
03-14-2006, 04:47 AM
Hi TK. Thanks for the great critique. I woulda said the same thing about the speed. But it's weird, it's kinda psychological ,coz when I'm rehearsed, I can usually handle at least the tempo I played in. But when I'm improvising, it's like I don't always know where I'm going, so I think that hinders the synchronisation. I just hve to get more practice I guess. In the end, that's what it always comes down to huh?
Thanks for taking the time TK

Apple-Joe
03-14-2006, 12:09 PM
TonyDas; Ionian, Dorian, Minor, Hirajoshi - check out these strictlies too. I'm eager for more.

Apple-Joe
03-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Thorsten, listened to your recording again, and your picking is something on its own. Do you stick with diciplined alternate picking, or do you use economy picking?

Thorsten
03-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey thanks Apple-Joe,

itīs mostly alternate but thereīs a few licks that I economy pick...whatever works best! I usually prefer alternate picking cause I feel I have more controll over the strings and I can pick hard and get a more aggressive tone. Itīs hard to get that same sound with economy picking but thereīs certain licks where economy just works easier but like I said, for me itīs just a few...If you really wanna get good at economy (like e.g. Frank Gambale) you almost have to use it exclusively cause it really is a whole different approach to playing. For me alternate just works easier and it simply sounds better...

Apple-Joe
03-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey thanks Apple-Joe,

itīs mostly alternate but thereīs a few licks that I economy pick...whatever works best! I usually prefer alternate picking cause I feel I have more controll over the strings and I can pick hard and get a more aggressive tone. Itīs hard to get that same sound with economy picking but thereīs certain licks where economy just works easier but like I said, for me itīs just a few...If you really wanna get good at economy (like e.g. Frank Gambale) you almost have to use it exclusively cause it really is a whole different approach to playing. For me alternate just works easier and it simply sounds better...

Yes, I understand. I have started working on the picking myself, and I find myself using alternate picking almost exclusively. It's a great practice playing what ever you're playing at the moment - alternate picked. Just alternate pick anything - no matter what. Even avoiding legato - especially in my situation, as I have had a tendency of using legato too much (as in using it instead of picking, which might lead to a less developed picking technique). Legato comes much easier anyway.

Well, that's my outburst of tonight. Keep on playing.

rasputin
06-22-2006, 02:06 AM
How can I get the tab of the entire work as played by the illustrious Thorsten?.

Thorsten
06-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey rasputin,

thanks for your interest!

You mean the solo in Strictly Neoclassical? Most of it was imrovised so it would be quite a hazzle to tab it all down.

I think whatīs more important anyway, than just plain learning a solo note by note, is getting a feel for the vibe of the song, work on certain technical aspects (like alternate and sweep picking, pedal tones etc.) and then come up with your own ideas for it.

Anyway, if thereīs a specific lick you wanna know I can try and tab it down for you, no problem!

TK

Mcbane
06-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Had a bit of time on my hands so here's my shot at it

rasputin
06-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Hey rasputin,

thanks for your interest!

You mean the solo in Strictly Neoclassical? Most of it was imrovised so it would be quite a hazzle to tab it all down.

I think whatīs more important anyway, than just plain learning a solo note by note, is getting a feel for the vibe of the song, work on certain technical aspects (like alternate and sweep picking, pedal tones etc.) and then come up with your own ideas for it.

Anyway, if thereīs a specific lick you wanna know I can try and tab it down for you, no problem!

TKThank you!, that work has become my new "track of inspiration" for listening to, right before I practice. I appreciate it very much, the part I'm mainly interested in the fastest parts, thanks again, Stan

UKRuss
06-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Had a bit of time on my hands so here's my shot at it

Hey McBane, some nice ideas in there. Really got to nail those bends though, get them right up there!

Over this one it really is begging for some shred of course and it's a tempo at which I think, other than TK and Sven, we all struggled at.

But one way of apporaching it might be to pick one short lick and repeat it at speed, just to nod the hat in the shred direction, after all it is Strictly neoclassic eh?

Thorsten
06-24-2006, 05:56 AM
Thank you!, that work has become my new "track of inspiration" for listening to, right before I practice. I appreciate it very much, the part I'm mainly interested in the fastest parts, thanks again, Stan

Thanks a lot rasputin, glad you like my playing!

Hereīs a lick I play at around 0.56 to 1.00. Itīs a typical Yngwie-style ,3-string arpeggio, sweeping lick. I indicated the picking pattern for this because is important to keep it consistent.

Macbane, cool playing there dude, keep it up!

Cheers
TK

rasputin
06-24-2006, 06:23 PM
You're welcome!, I listen to quite a bit of neoclassical guitar, but anything that has intense passion and fire gets my attention. Thanks very much for the tab, now it's off to the woodshed.

eastwood
07-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Bit heavier than the 1st one and again theres half of the tune missing....

But theres some alt picking at the intro so hence why its here

Daz

psycotap
07-06-2006, 03:38 PM
my take (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A1A83B9E110BD760)

Mistakes everywhere but hey, i'm only 14 (i use that excuse far too much)

Mainly harmonic minor with some natural minor over the c to avoid clashes. Some arps, poorly executed near the end trying to create a "climax". not sure how well it worked.

Be as critical as you think is nessecary.

Mark

Kinoble
07-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey mark.

Thought your take was great-brimming with idea's and melody. ;) The bit at 0/33 reminds me of abba for sum reason :confused: ! (i dont listen to abba, i promise!)

Could do with smoothing out, but you have ages to practise.

Thumps up,

Ben :cool:

Steve-0
09-08-2006, 02:37 AM
I haven't dropped by here for a long time... I stopped in to check and see what's been going on in my absence, and I rediscovered my old take on the neoclassical thing and I decided to fire off a new one to see if I've improved at all. I did a couple takes improv and picked the better one, and then I added a harmony at one little part but I didn't really try to harmonize anything else. I left all the mistakes in because I'm lazy.

Notice I just had too much shred in me for the backing track, so I ended a bit late. :D

Anyway, I'll let you compare it to my old one and you can be the judge. The old one was only half improv but I haven't listened to it again so forgive me if I accidentally cop a lick or two from the old one without noticeing.

Thorsten, I'd like to know what you think as well if you don't mind.

Enough jibba-jabba:

Thorsten
09-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Hey Steve-O,

wow man, you really play great here! Good tone, awesome licks fast and slow and some cool ideas note wise. I also like the harmonized part...very, very cool!

Maybe you could show us how you played the licks from 0.47 to 0.51. I particularly liked those ones!

Thumbs up dude!

UKRuss
09-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Nice as always Steve, love the licks but...

didn't dig the timing:(

Kinoble
09-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Nice one steve, you really have those licks down.

But i can see russ's point of timing. Nothing some hard practice with a metronome couldnt sort out ;)

Dont know how you wangle the 'alternative' lick at 1.02 but it works :D

Really dig the variation though, thumbs up

EDIT: Really liked the small motif at 0.20

Ben :cool:

Steve-0
09-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Yar... the timing was a little off, especially on the last licks few lick before the song cuts out.

Thorsten, those licks you're talking about are just string skipping taps, 3 fingers on the left hand and then one on my pickng hand, moving around the C major position, but I'll probably just tab them out for you.

hafftaplay
09-27-2006, 05:32 PM
nice variety of licks, great stuff

Russpick
09-17-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm not massively into neo-classical but i have to say i loved phantoms version
the most...especially the parts 0.23-0.32, 0.38-0.43 & 0.47-0.58 ! Awesome AND musical !!

Any chance of some tabs for these sections !?

phantom
09-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Hey Russpick!

Thanks for liking it ;)!!

Have to recheck what happened at those seconds though. :eek:

Thanks again!

Sven

phantom
09-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Oh.. and tabs, yes sure - i'll see what i can do. :)

Russpick
09-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Nice one !

Russpick
09-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Ahem !
I should of said 'Cool..i'm looking forward to it !'

not "nice one!"....that makes me sound like a berk :rolleyes:

phantom
09-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Lol Russpick.. it's all good. ;-)

Se attached a ptab for the arpeggio-section of my take.
I posted it somewhere in the thread before, but anyway here it is.
Have fun!

Russpick
09-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks Sven i got that bit already cheers, the bit i really want tho is between
0:23 and 0:32 any chance you could do a rough tab of this part ?

Russ

Doctor Gee
04-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Hi all! So I'm SUPER late to this, but here's my contribution...

Darkman
02-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Phantom, that was great, especially the last third. You say it's at 132bpm, so are what speed are the fastest parts you play? Sixteenths at 132, or something else? I'm guessing the last third is straight sixteenths, but before that there may be some "wild" improvising that doesn't strictly follow the beat tempo?

Anyway, really great playing.

phantom
09-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Hey Darkman,

long time i haven't been here - don't know if this is still of interest, but the fastest part is sixteenth note triplets (6 notes instead of 4) at 138bpm - from 0,45 till 0,47 minutes. :D
I'm not good in math.. but that would equal 16th notes at 207 bpm (i guess).

meritonemusic
10-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Great stuff!!!!

Here's another backing track, perfect for that A minor and E spanish phrygian vibe as well! It's more acoustic and Spanish, but suits the same type of scales and licks... thought you might enjoy this as a little twist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-eemB1jjA