PDA

View Full Version : What'd I Say - Ray Charles - Help!

SostenutO
04-16-2005, 11:55 PM
I can't figure out how to play that little riff he does after the B7 chord. I know it slides up to a B using A and Ab as grace notes, then it hits a D and an E and then it does sometihng I can't figure out. I've tried slowing down the song and I've listened to it over and over again. Does anyone know how to play the riff??

Note: I'm going to buy a Ray Charles Sheetmusic Book soon, so don't reply telling me to lol :)

Also, I've seen the one they teach you on MagRack but its wrong.. :(

Help meeee!

=Bob=
04-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Not sure where you're talking about. Can you specify the location in minutes and seconds?
=Bob=

Bizarro
04-17-2005, 01:14 PM
I figured it out note for note, but for guitar... Minutes and seconds will help! :) Let us know!

SostenutO
04-17-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry, I was talking as if we all knew the song lol. It's at 28 seconds and finishes at 32 secs. He does it more times in the song later too.

cardello
04-18-2005, 12:53 AM
bizzarro, a tab would be tremendously helpful!

SostenutO
04-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I've almost got it. I'm going to put grace notes in parenthesis.

(G,A,A#)B D E (B,.A#)A G E E E

I think there are some grace note or something different before those 3 E's because it doesn't sound exactly liek the riff. I'm sorry I can't really write out any ryhtm for this rioff I just wrote, but if you listen to the riff you can figure it out. I told you exactly were it is in the song.

cardello
04-21-2005, 12:54 AM
does anybody know the chords/fingerings Ray uses on the turnaround?

SostenutO
04-21-2005, 06:15 PM
If you do not have "What'd I say" you can go to http://radio.terra.com.br/ The site is in spanish though, but al you gotta do is search under Artista (artist) or Musica (song) and it comes up with all of the songs.

SostenutO
05-05-2005, 11:53 PM
I've finally found a Ray Charles songbook that has the ORGINAL songs in it. Not changed one bit and thats how it should be. I'd like to reccomend it. it is called "Play Piano With...Ray Charles". "Play Piano With..." is a series and it has many other artists such as the Beatles and Elton John. It comes with the original sheet music, exactly the way he/she played the song and backingtracks so you can play along with a full band....which is FUN!!!

(however you can only buy it online and from the UK :) But shipping was very very cheap, cheaper than Samash shipping, and it came in less time than samash too..which says something weird).