PDA

View Full Version : pitch tricks

Mateo150
04-14-2005, 02:57 AM
I've been doing the ear training thing for a little while....

Some things I always get, such as a maj 6th... cuz I relate it to the NBC melody
perf 5th = first 2 notes of "London Bridge"... etc...

Are there any other little relative pitch tricks for certain intervals that are out there or that maybe you use? I tend to not get minor 7 for some reason, dunno why, I'm only about 40% with that one... pissin me off...

phantom
04-14-2005, 07:06 AM
hey mateo,

there is a thread about that issue with quiet some hints and tricks..
if i only knew where it was.
check the search function.. or maybe rmuscat (the linkwizzard) will join sometime during the day and might be able to help.

back to the barn ;)

rmuscat
04-14-2005, 10:15 AM
there's one here (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4424)

There were at least a couple more somewhere. Obviously problem with these lists is you have to know the songs.

I remember when i had a teacher until a few months ago one of the exercises was to find a song for each interval maybe you should try that out. Its just a one off exercise ;)

The LinkWizzard ;)

Mateo150
04-14-2005, 04:00 PM
thanks...get you an apple next go round link librarian.

some weird song selections, but some good stuff in there.... really hammers those intervals home.

Simpsons = tritone... genius!!!

anyone have more suggestions for a min 6th, and the 7th intervals, I don't know those songs.

P.S. - perf 6th = first 2 notes of the NBC theme.... thats more accessible than what he wrote (but its a great list)

oRg
04-21-2005, 01:36 AM
Simpsons = tritone... genius!!!Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Danny Elfman write that song. If so it only further proves that Danny Elfman is awesome. I haven't heard anything yet by him (compositionally speaking) that I didn't like. The theme to Batman is great, as well as the theme to Beetle Juice.

Mateo150
04-27-2005, 05:01 PM
decided to do a little update...I like the old list, but I use different songs and stuff to clue me in... really helps to get the feet wet so to say:

Peft 4th = here comes the bride??? I'm too young.... I use Auld Lyne Sang - "may old aquantance be forgot".... may - old = perf 4th

Minor 3rd - a kid saying "na-na-na-na-na".... i got ice cream... works for me.

Major 6th = Nbc theme

debaser
04-27-2005, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=oRg]Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Danny Elfman write that song. If so it only further proves that Danny Elfman is awesome. I haven't heard anything yet by him (compositionally speaking) that I didn't like. The theme to Batman is great, as well as the theme to Beetle Juice.[/QUOT

He did write that, as well as a huge number of movie scores. I was just looking at his filmogrpahy, and it's pretty impressive. I think he's done every Tim Burton movie ever, not to mention many others.

oRg
04-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I knew he worked with Tim Burton alot. It's one of the main reasons why I like the Batman, and Beetlejuice Theme music he did.

mattblack850
04-28-2005, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=oRg]Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Danny Elfman write that song. If so it only further proves that Danny Elfman is awesome. I haven't heard anything yet by him (compositionally speaking) that I didn't like. The theme to Batman is great, as well as the theme to Beetle Juice.[/QUOT

He did write that, as well as a huge number of movie scores. I was just looking at his filmogrpahy, and it's pretty impressive. I think he's done every Tim Burton movie ever, not to mention many others.

And how can you forget the Seminal score to..............................................

PeeWee Hermans Big Day Out!!!:D :D :D