PDA

View Full Version : Buying A Keyboard

javlopz
04-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Hey all, first post here, looks like a great site, looking forward to learning and discussing with you all!

Hoping to get some input: I'm looking at buying a keyboard and have come close to settling on the Yamaha PSR 295. The features (piano sound plus built in lessons) seem pretty good for a first time piano player, intermediate guitar player. My theory's ok and I'm hoping to use it to get me started with the keys. I want to make the right buy so would be great to hear what you all think of this keyboard. If you say nay, feel free to suggest other keyboards in a similar price range. Looking forward to those replies!
________
juggalos (http://juggalos.org)

SostenutO
04-07-2005, 01:18 AM
I don't really know the specs of that keyboard but when you are buying one, you should buy it depending on what you like. Test it out and see if you like how it sounds. I'd test out things like seeing if it has a nice powerful bass and a good bright treble. Also, test out the different tones etc. See how the honkytonk sounds, you know...

Mateo150
04-07-2005, 06:04 AM
before this thread gets scythed.... I'd recommend one that is touch sensative, one that conveys dynamics. And also weighted keys.... but thats quite a price jump... but without weighted keys, the dynamics just don't come through. I couldn't afford a weighted touch sensative keyboard... but I'd definetly buy one if I were in your situation and could afford it.

debaser
04-07-2005, 01:39 PM
I think that it depends on whether you want to use it as a piano or a synth. A good piano sound is hard to come by, and Mateo's points are well-taken about touch response, etc. On the other hand, if you want to use it as a synthesizer(ie. what it actually is), there are a few more options for lower-priced instruments. I wouldn't choose built-in speakers as one of my pre-requisites, though.

SostenutO
04-07-2005, 07:22 PM
I got my casio 88-key, weighted, touch sensative keyboard for $500 at Samash. That's pretty dam chheap. However, the piano sound aint too good, atleast I tihnk so, other people say it sounds exactly like a piano. Eitherway, I could always buy stuff to give it more tones.

Mateo150
04-07-2005, 07:36 PM
I got my casio 88-key, weighted, touch sensative keyboard for $500 at Samash. That's pretty dam chheap. However, the piano sound aint too good, atleast I tihnk so, other people say it sounds exactly like a piano. Eitherway, I could always buy stuff to give it more tones.
WOW. thats a deal... usually weighted keys are about $800-1500, and that was 5-6 years ago when I last checked. Did you buy it used?

SostenutO
04-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Nope, floor model, but it was only $50 off, so it was $550 I guess lol. This about 4 months ago.

edit: o yea, and I bought the New Model. The old one was only about $400. The only difference between them was one had more tones on it.

debaser
04-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Another good thing to think about when buying a keyboard, although this goes back to my earlier point a little, is how much access you have to editing the sounds. If it has upwards of two filters, oscillators, etc., then there's good chance that you can improve any presets by tweaking it a little.

DanF
04-08-2005, 01:48 AM
Debaser hit it on the head. Let's not use the term keyboard. Synthesizer a PSR is fine.

For a Digital piano you'll need 88 weighted keys. Anything else will not play like a real piano and will slow you down. The entry level standard against which all others are compared is the Yamaha P-80. They go for around $700. Other good manufacturers are Roland and Korg, but most will recommend a Yamaha P series.

On the otherhand I did a lot of research on this stuff debating making the piano move and I've decided not to. I'd rather focus on guitar. As a matter of fact -- if you decide you want a Yamaha PSR-280 (though like I said, if you're serious about building some piano chops you won't) I'll sell you mine cheap. PM me.

-Dan

=Bob=
04-08-2005, 02:02 AM
I have to say, I am really happy with my Yamaha P80. I've read that some people think the action is too stiff, too heavy. I love it, I love the heavier action. I've played some pretty big, heavy acoustics all my life and my touch only works well with a piano that doesn't fall apart when I play. I'm not kidding, I've broken strings, knocked pianos out of tune. I need the heavy action. And I think Yamaha has some of the best piano samples available in a digitial piano. I also have a Kurzweil K2500RS with the piano ROM (and some piano sample libraries), an Alesis QSR and a Roland GS54. I think the p80 sounds more real than any of them. Cost new was about $700 with stand and cover.
=Bob=

ashc
04-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Although it's been said, the issue is what the original poster really wants out of it. Seems to me like there are at least 5 ways you can go:

PSR type thing (typically made by Casio and Yamaha) : These are sort of the modern day home organ. Preset sounds only with some rhythm, chord accompanient and lesson thing built into it. Many kids learn on these now. If you want to go beyond learning and use this say as backing in home recording etc. then it could become cheesy and annoying. Maybe these have moved on - I'm not exactly current.

Digital piano: Good piano sounds and decent action, no other stuff. However, this offers the capability of being a quality master keyboard for PC based soft synths or midi sound modules. For someone who wants to learn piano on good action this is obviously a great option - but not the cheapest.

Dumb midi keyboard: can get ones with reasonable action and cheaper ones without. Can link to PC (soft synths) and/or sound modules. For someone with a PC already who is software savvy this can be a flexible and cheap option.

Cheap polyphonic synth: The low end of the polysynth market now seems to be lots of presets with a base of MIDI compatable GM/GS sounds in the first bank and then a bunch of other sounds (incl drums) in N other banks, with some limited editing capability. e.g.s Roland Juno-D (you can basically edit the filtering and envelope of the presets on this one) and Korg X5-D. Although the editing is limited not everyone cares (the Yamaha DX series scared a whole generation of people away from editing!) and you get PC/MIDI compatability and a whole load of recording quality sounds. Generally you get a touch sensitive keyboard but not weighted. These are amazingly cheap given that I could get a Juno D today new for the same price I paid for a Korg Poly 800 in 1984!! For me this a good option to learn on if you dont want/need a weighted keyboard and you might want lots of different sounds to use the thing for recording and playing out etc.

High end poly: Access Virus series etc. Only if you want to have full editing capability and spend more.....

All in all you have to decide what you want !

Anyway, isn't this a 'banned' gear thread :D

Factor
04-08-2005, 08:38 AM
I suggest that this thread be answered extensively, effectively answering any future piano/synth/keyboard questions, and then made sticky!

Some very good advice already in this thread, thanks to all!

=Bob=
04-09-2005, 12:41 AM
I agree, great thread, and civilized!
=Bob=

javlopz
04-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the replies. Lots of great info on whats best depending on the level of skill. Seeing its my first keyboard, I'll most likely follow the same path as with my first guitar, getting a good entry level, figuring out how it works, improve my technique and then step up. Most people say the PSR is good for starters so I think I'll stick with it.

Thanks DanF for the offer, I will have to pass though. Being in Australia, it will end up costing more than buying it locally. I can't think of a worse place to ship large items to and from internationally than here. Possibly the extremities (of which we're not too far from!)

Hope this thread keeps on going, I'm sure there's lots of people like me who want to hear others advice on whats out there and whats best. Thanks again!
________
n02 vaporizer (http://no2vaporizers.com)

Eccojedi
05-07-2005, 03:22 AM
If you can get ahold of one, though it is rare that you can (Still, I found one on HarmonyCentral and bought it not too long ago), go for a Technics digital. They were the best thing out before they stopped making them. I bought a Technics SX-P50 for about 800 bucks after playing my friend's, and he was going to sell me his before his mom fried the board with the wrong power adapter (The only problem with them, and an easily avoidable one if you're at all careful.)

The touch on it is superb, and the only time I can tell in recordings that it's not real is when banging it, which you can't get a good bangy sound out of a digi of any type... that's what I use my upright for now.

JailHouseRock
05-28-2005, 10:53 AM
I'd like to know, can we change the tune of the keyboard? Just like what we did with guitar where we tuned it to drop D or tune down 1 1/2 steps?

Eccojedi
05-29-2005, 01:08 AM
I'd like to know, can we change the tune of the keyboard? Just like what we did with guitar where we tuned it to drop D or tune down 1 1/2 steps?

Sure thing, almost every keyboard has a "transpose" function, even the cheaper radio shack models.

JailHouseRock
05-30-2005, 03:20 AM
Me and my keyboardist tried to search it on his keyboard but to no avail. I suppose the function only available in high-priced keyboard. The one that you can put 'disket' in it. Usually, where's the transpose function located at?

Eccojedi
06-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Me and my keyboardist tried to search it on his keyboard but to no avail. I suppose the function only available in high-priced keyboard. The one that you can put 'disket' in it. Usually, where's the transpose function located at?

Usually, you find it on a nice shiny button that says TRANSPOSE on the front of the keyboard. almost every keyboard I have, including my casios (but not the REALLY small one) have it.what kind of keyboard do you have, and why doesn't he just learn to play in another key?

MalignantX
06-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Gear thread

JailHouseRock
06-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Thanks @eccojedi. We found the transpose button. It's not my keyboard. It's my keyboardist.

SkinnyDevil
06-17-2005, 03:04 AM
I don;t understand all of this. What are all these brand names coming up? I thought only KURZWEIL made keyboards!!!!

Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Factor
06-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Gear thread

I suggest that this thread be answered extensively, effectively answering any future piano/synth/keyboard questions, and then made sticky!
(..)
(from page 1)

It seems we agreed on this one, although the mods haven't chimed in yet.

Eccojedi
07-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Gear thread

You have nothing more useful to do with your time?