PDA

View Full Version : Not looking at frets seems to be working well

Sage
04-06-2005, 01:40 PM
I haven't been consious lately that I usually look down or at the bass drum when I do a solo during our practice. It seems that I get the best sounds when I'm not conscious of what frets I'm going through. I have observed myself that when I look at the frets I create a mental image of what type of run I would go. It's the rut type of feeling

In addition to that I seem to do my best solos when not planning what to play.

Just a little thing to share. I guess this is one solution to get me out of the pentatonic rut.

whopwooper
04-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Yes I know this penotonic rut...Blus bluse Da da dah ad adh Nah na nahh na nahna nH DUh dh d dhhh...

Gee it was difficult to get out of.....I'd advise to learn all your MAJOR modes all back to back mode1
1=Ionian
2=Dorian
3=Phrygian
4=Lydian
5=Mixolydian
6=Aeolian
7=Locrian
You should see here and there similaraties with the penotonic Stuff you can't here anymore....(warining I worked alot of that order out myself but am 99%sure that's right?....Hoops! Profis forgivnes if wrong but They work for me.
Then learn all your Melidic minor modes also 7 modes
1=melodic minor
2=Dorian
3=Lydian augmentd
4=Lydian dominant
5=Hindi (My fave)
6=Locrian#2 whatever the #2 means??
7=Super Locrian
Somewher in the internet you should after a bit of effort find those.
Once you know all them the penatonic Trap RUT dread 12 bar blues indulgence should finnaly pass over as if it never happend.

UKRuss
04-06-2005, 07:29 PM
I still don't subscribe to the pentatonic rut even existing...

But learning your major scale and modes is never a bad thing.

Los Boleros
04-06-2005, 10:05 PM
In addition to that I seem to do my best solos when not planning what to play.

Just a little thing to share. I guess this is one solution to get me out of the pentatonic rut.Welcome to the world of improve. You have finaly boarded!:)

You have taken the first step toward letting go and feeling it.:eek:

Now here this, we all have good days and bad days.:confused:

whopwooper
04-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Hey Russ MAN UK Russ MR ...Your right in certain ways.....In the sense that It can be a stereotype of this RUT thing......I was just thinking back to the first year and a half of pratting about on a guitar.......Art college jamms sessions.....around about 1985-ish...

..I remember thinking how to diversifiy or improve what I'm dooing........Blues seemed all a bit the same after a while.....
untill I went to Australia and discoverd the really ancient mega original blues guitar players such as Mance Lipscome and Missisipi John Hurt set the blues thing on fire again
.....Mance lipscomes "Shake shake Mama buy you a diamond ring", Is so old but ....Grooovy and foot tapping .....Whack in the Guitar......
But all in all I think the rut feeling gets begginers and thank god at some time
you realize You have to put more feeling in to it......

If you are anyone in who needs to see the blues in a differnt way I suggest looking at the mega mega crusty oldies.....Blind lemmon Gefferson and who I've already mentioned.........That helped put the passion back in to dooing 12 bars right back on the order.....

Grungy sounding Gutsy Mega original Accustic Sounds nothing like anything from the 60s or 70s........"Dave Van Ronk" is another although much more modern...Which I'd call really Gutsy use of Blues stuff...Not to say HOWLIN Wolf......But hey there are thousands......?? Just a few really Brilliant and original.

oRg
04-07-2005, 06:44 PM
being able to not look at your hands while your playing is the first step in trying to get to play guitar and sing at the same time. I recommend it to everyone becuz I think that it does help your playing but more in a mental nature than a physical one. I think this is becuz when your singing and playing and looking up at the audience after awhile it builds your confidence. It does mine anyways. Just a thought.

Gombakgitar
04-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Hello, I'm not a sophisticated musician, so this question may sound silly to most of you all. But why is it important to learn all these scales and modes ?

I've always improvised based on 'feel' (that intuitive sense of just knowing which notes are right). Maybe this only applies to Blues and Country.

btangel
04-10-2005, 05:10 PM
You can only improv. based on your gut instinct for so long. Eventually you'll hit a limit where you'll start repeating yourself. Knowing modes broaden your horizon. It's a "tool" to use. You don't need modes to create a amazing rift or solo, but it helps you find melodies you never thought of before.