PDA

View Full Version : Piano: R/L hand independence and Fingering Patterns

snufeldin
04-01-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm a guitar player, but wack away on the piano as well. I mainly just play chords to back myself singing. Anyway, I've struggled at being able to play counter rhythms with the two hands. Basically all I do with the left hand is octaves. Any advice or exercises you'd recommend?

Also what are the fingering patterns for every scale? I know that C for the right hand is: 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5 (thumb being 1 then just progressing along the hand); and for the left is: 5 4 3 2 1 3 2 1... I think this is the same for G major as well.

Mateo150
04-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Well, I learned classical and its a bit different in mental aspects than say improvising jazz... much different. But I did start to learn some jazz... for starters... try the Bill Evans tun Peace Piece. Semi-Rubato and a very simple left hand progression. Lots of fun... Its also the basis for some of his other more normal songs such as Minority Report and a couple other tunes I can't remember right now. I believe Peace Piece is Cmaj7 on the home position minus the fifth, into F... umm...errr, you made me go set my keyboard... notes are g, a, c, f.... the c is on the home position. Then its G bass-note, and C bass-note. I just keep learning stuff like that, blue bossa, some rag time bass lines, good ole blues bass lines mixed in with chords, and so on - it progresses, just keep learning new tunes. Or if you just wanna sing and play ala Billy Joel type of vibe... a have a buddy whos been playing keys for 10 years with no lessons... he plays a lot of Ben Folds Five, he basically plays like how a drummer would use his hands... similar vibe err... ya know... skill set

finger pattern for left hand = 543213214321.... you have it correct for the right hand... patterns change for some keys such as the flats/sharps, but in simple practical ways, such as going 1234123... so you don't have to reach out to the black key with your thumb...

=Bob=
04-01-2005, 06:10 PM
The Hanon exercise book has all the fingering for scales and arpeggios, plus the exercises start pretty easy and work their way up. Here's a link to some PDFs of the book: http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_listing.cfm?composer_id=7

You can gain some independence that way, but for especially good independence, learning 2 and 3 part Bach inventions is tops. Here's alink to some PDFs of Bach works, including the inventions: http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_listing.cfm?composer_id=2

For walking bass, practice the bass separately until you can do it with your eyes closed. Then try adding some simple chords over the top. Here's alink to scale fingering, I gave it a cursory lookover and it seems accurate: http://www-student.furman.edu/users/r/rkelley/scalfing.htm
=Bob=

Mateo150
04-01-2005, 06:20 PM
For me Bob... and I wasn't too experienced when I made the change... I learned classical, then decided I wanted to be able to improvise, or wanted to play improvisational music. The classical stuff didn't seem to cross over too directly in terms of playing chord vamps in the left hand while playing with the right. I mean, general comfort and skill crossed over, but it was very different for me.

=Bob=
04-01-2005, 06:37 PM
For me Bob... and I wasn't too experienced when I made the change... I learned classical, then decided I wanted to be able to improvise, or wanted to play improvisational music. The classical stuff didn't seem to cross over too directly in terms of playing chord vamps in the left hand while playing with the right. I mean, general comfort and skill crossed over, but it was very different for me.I can understand that. Alot depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Gaining hand independence for me only required learning to play things that needed that independence. The 2 and 3 part Bach Inventions helped me alot. And they are available for free in those PDFs. Sometimes when you're training the hands, it's nice not to have to compose or improvise something just to practice.

You could also try some Scott Joplin or any other ragtime. Here's a link to some free PDFs and they have some Joplin there: http://www.free-scores.com/free-sheet-music-search.php
=Bob=