PDA

View Full Version : piano super stable tuning

Terrafirma
04-01-2005, 05:01 PM
how do pianos stay in tune so long??

Mateo150
04-01-2005, 05:31 PM
meticulous care....

ever go to the music school's "general population" pianos.... errr... some of those have dead notes, most are out of tune, etc... but check out the grands n baby grands that they upkeep to a fault... woooww..

=Bob=
04-01-2005, 05:40 PM
I think it's because they are made very heavy and strong and out of pretty stable woods and the harp is usually made out of cast iron, so they don't change shape much. The tuning pegs are not geared, so the only way for the pitch to go flat is for the string to stretch. However, some older pianos will go out of tune fast if the tuning pegs get loose in their holes, this happens over time. Then you have to replace them with larger ones. The strings can stretch quickly too if your piano is too close to a heater or air conditioning or an outside wall. Stable environment helps keep a piano stable. And if you move them around, they tend to go out of tune pretty quickly too.
=Bob=

Koala
04-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Just stuck togehter these duplicate posts replies.

peace,

Factor
04-01-2005, 08:27 PM
I work at the Departement of Music at the university in my city, and we actually have someone employed as a pianotuner. He has a lot of work to do. Mostly it's routine work. He always has to tune the concert pianos (3) before any concert; he has to maintain the 6-8 teacher baby grands and the 20 something student pianos as well.