PDA

View Full Version : New forum: Piano & Keys

Guni
03-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Since the pressure has been mounting on us to unbearable levels through the demands of the iBreathe PDP (Piano Democratic Party) for instrument equality, we herewith announce a new addition to the iBreatheMusic Forums: The Piano and keys forum :)

Personally, I welcome this step to a great deal - although most of us are guitar players it is great to see that so many do see the importance of aquainting themselves with a key instrument. I think it's needless to list all the advantages of such knowledge.

Although not that obvious for iBreathe this is quite a big step. It always has been the idea to expand upon the offerings of guitar and stringed instruments. I really do hope we get the ball rolling and get some good discussions and articles - and for this we need your help.

How you can help?

- If you are a piano player or have some experience with it, please share your experiences and monitor the piano forum to help it gain momentum. Perhaps you have an idea for an article to share that we can publish on iBreathe.

- If you have a friend or band collegue who is into piano/keys, get him/her on board :-)

Over to you .. ;)

Guni

Koala
03-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Yup, lets get this place rolling!

Jamie FT
03-31-2005, 10:18 PM
Woo new forum! :D

I've always wanted to have a little mess about on a piano, maybe now I'll have the motivation to go through with it.........

=Bob=
03-31-2005, 11:30 PM
Cool! Piano is my main instrument, but I play guitar a little too. A one-stop forum!
=Bob=

Factor
04-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Excellent job! This may push me further into picking up piano again!

thanks IBMM (Ibreathemusic management)!

ashc
04-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Great! I seem to remember voting for this! I was a teenage synth player 20+ yrs ago.. eventually I turned into a guitar player but I still like a bit of keys...

rmuscat
04-01-2005, 09:00 AM
This is cool...

hope everyone understands the importance of this move for us guitarists to turn into better musicians. I don't want it to sound like "pro-guitar move". But i think listening to other instruments and getting playing ideas is crucial!

Besides piano is a cool instrument in itself!

Thanks again!

JailHouseRock
04-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Nice! I always thought of learning piano/keyboard. Perhaps, this forum will give me some ideas!

Adela
04-03-2005, 05:22 AM
Hello! I just registered in this wonderful forum, and may I address this question to Bob, the piano player? :D

I'm learning to play the piano (rather late in life) and I'm at the breginning stage of the theory. My question is:

How do you play the arpeggio in G Major, separate hands for now? I searched google, but the best I could get was RH: 123 123 41 and LH: 321 321 43. Which is good and well, but I need to know WHICH note goes with each number or finger? I know it must be a really dumb question, and my young teacher is now away and I'd like to practice this so I can go on with the other practices.

I do play some classical pieces but not with the correct fingering or theory...I just read them very slowly, then memorize and play them, but I want to do it correctly, hence my trying to learn this elusive theory...:o

Thanks ever so much! :) Adela

P.S. You made some good link referrals to someone (whom I can't find now). I went to that site and was able to get some info, but though they indicated one can download 2 pieces per day, they cut me off after downloading just the one...

=Bob=
04-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Hello! I just registered in this wonderful forum, and may I address this question to Bob, the piano player? :D

I'm learning to play the piano (rather late in life) and I'm at the breginning stage of the theory. My question is:

How do you play the arpeggio in G Major, separate hands for now? I searched google, but the best I could get was RH: 123 123 41 and LH: 321 321 43. Which is good and well, but I need to know WHICH note goes with each number or finger? I know it must be a really dumb question, and my young teacher is now away and I'd like to practice this so I can go on with the other practices.

I do play some classical pieces but not with the correct fingering or theory...I just read them very slowly, then memorize and play them, but I want to do it correctly, hence my trying to learn this elusive theory...:o

P.S. You made some good link referrals to someone (whom I can't find now). I went to that site and was able to get some info, but though they indicated one can download 2 pieces per day, they cut me off after downloading just the one...
The Hanon exercises 41-43 include the arpeggios in all 24 keys: http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/compositions_b/exc41_43.pdf

Right click and "Save as" to download.
=Bob=

Adela
04-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks so very much, Bob!!!!! Adela

=Bob=
04-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Sorry I didn't see your post until today. Did that link let you download Ok?
=Bob=

debaser
04-04-2005, 05:06 PM
This is really great. I have only started taking an interest in learning piano/keyboard over the last year, and it's going to be so helpful to have a place like this to compare notes. From what I can tell, there really aren't the same kind of online resources for keyboard that there are for guitar.

Bob, that site you have listed here is a really good resource - thanks for providing it. I couldn't believe the amount of variety that they have available. The only caveat that I would add for people who haven't been there is that they only allow 2 downloads per person per day, so if you download something and then don't save or print it, that's still one down for the day.

=Bob=
04-04-2005, 05:56 PM
I agree, but better than nothing at the moment. I have a copy of Hanon that I bought when I was in Jr. High. That was a lonnnnggggg time ago... It's rather ragged now.
=Bob=

Jamie FT
04-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Just wondering. Does having a piano & keys forum mean we'll have articles? I was just thinking as well as the picking/chords/practising/whatever sections we have on the main site, there could be one for other instruments. Just a thought. :)

SostenutO
04-24-2005, 03:39 PM
I think one of the IMB peoples said that anyone could begin submitting articles for piano. I don't know if they are going to make a new section for it though...

Piroteus
11-14-2005, 01:08 PM

hey Adela...it's no problem u don't play the piano very well. U'll learn. I've been playing for like 13 or 14 years. Then I dropped out. Now I'm 23 and I still miss playing. So sometimes I play my keyboard, but it's not the same. I can read very fast, but it's only a matter of time. I can say to you now; practice, practice and practice. Even if you feel like hating those stupid practice lessons.
I wish u good luck with it, because you will find out, it is delicious to play with your eyes closed and just enjoy the music you play!!!

greetz Laurien

axeman36
04-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi,
Bob you might be able to answer this one best, being a piano player.
I'm wanting to learn to play by ear.
My goal for playing piano at the moment is to be able to accompany myself while singing so I can play at school in my classroom. I am looking for some starting pointers. I can read music but don;t want to be encumbered with learning a whole lot of classical tunes and stuff or to be limited to the printed music. Have had 2 years of piano lessons at high school ages ago. Know heaps of theory too so can find the chords (slowly).
Lets take a simple tune like - Rock My Soul , or something. Where do I start?
All suggestions welcome.
Cheers,
Axeman:cool:

jade_bodhi
04-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Does it matter that much which fingers one uses for chording piano. Someone told me that major and minor chords should be fingered 1,3,5 or 5, 3, 1. I often use 1,2,3. Are there any fingering techniques that one should learn immediately. I play by ear and am a beginner. I use a lot of arpeggios with my right hand and flourishes when I can find them. Left hand usually does some kind of bass line. Suggestions?

Poparad
04-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Does it matter that much which fingers one uses for chording piano. Someone told me that major and minor chords should be fingered 1,3,5 or 5, 3, 1. I often use 1,2,3. Are there any fingering techniques that one should learn immediately. I play by ear and am a beginner. I use a lot of arpeggios with my right hand and flourishes when I can find them. Left hand usually does some kind of bass line. Suggestions?

Why force your hand to stretch so much for 1,2,3 when you can more comfortably play it 1,3,5? In the long run, 1,3,5 is more nimble and agile of a fingering for just about everything. You can also swtich between chords and scales without changing your hand positions at all.

jade_bodhi
04-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Why force your hand to stretch so much for 1,2,3 when you can more comfortably play it 1,3,5? In the long run, 1,3,5 is more nimble and agile of a fingering for just about everything. You can also swtich between chords and scales without changing your hand positions at all.

I'm persuaded! Thank you. All I need is a good reason to change (that ought to be my new signature!)

demcmillan
10-21-2007, 07:38 PM
I would like to buy a MDI keyboard for my computer system (software). I found that all the keyboards appear to have a defect. I found that A3 and B3 are Higher Frequencies than G3, and have MIDI number of 57 and 59 respectfully. This pattern is repeated until B7. Also some material suggests that middle C is c3 instead of c4.

I found a formula for calculating the frequencies of MIDI numbers on the web site

http://www.musicmasterworks.com/WhereMathMeetsMusic.html . I found no comfort in the formula.

I would like to buy a software keyboard that does not have this inherent defect.:confused:

priji
11-21-2007, 11:07 AM
PIANO is the great Instrument

Draven Grey
11-24-2007, 05:23 PM
So many keyboard enthusiasts, so few threads. Let's change that! I've been playing since I was 6! And as much as I would like guitar to be my main instrument, keyboards turned out to be. Awesome new sub-forum!

Bill Brown
11-29-2007, 02:32 PM
I used to play piano and I used to own a Korg Z1, which I had to sell unfortunately!! :( Right now, I've got a controller keyboard but it's a bit small and this means I've gotta record left and right hand parts seperately.

When I've got a bigger keyboard, I'll be utilising keys much more in my songs. I tend to come up with the best melodic phrases with keys.

leegordo
12-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi all buddies, Here is my 2 cents worth re' the piano type K/board. I have had nearly 70 Yrs' worth of playing K/ boards, and One fact stands out as being the outstandingly most helpful- to me at least-advantage of using the piano to study theory on is. Most of the top music schools use the Basic Major Scale of 'C' to illustrate virtually all of their lessons on. the result is that " One does become an expert on Key 'C'" So much so that complicated theories about stuff in other Keys can quickly be understood by using key'C' as the main referrence point, an then merely transposing to wherever you want. Finally One can 'see' what one is doing on a piano, which may even have as many as 88 different keys ready to study and play, whereas the guitar-brilliant machine that it is, never the less is not so good to learn theory on, having only 6 fixed tones, and needs to be strapped on or whatever in order to play anything at all

borge
12-04-2007, 07:30 AM
no wonder i cant play any songs on my guitar, it only has 6 fixed tones!!
damn it, time to get a REAL instrument! :p

Bill Brown
12-06-2007, 11:09 AM
...needs to be strapped on or whatever in order to play anything at allYou can't exactly carry a piano around with you though! :)

I agree, learning theory on keys is much easier. I'm sure when one knows the guitar inside out, things will become less difficult (obviously). Another obvious advantage of using a keyboard, is playing two parts. Coming up with song ideas is great because you've got one hand playing the bass (or chords) and the other playing the melody.

Antony Reynaert
12-09-2007, 11:28 AM
You can't exactly carry a piano around with you though! :)

I agree, learning theory on keys is much easier. I'm sure when one knows the guitar inside out, things will become less difficult (obviously). Another obvious advantage of using a keyboard, is playing two parts. Coming up with song ideas is great because you've got one hand playing the bass (or chords) and the other playing the melody.

I have a piano in my house, I dont practise it, but its really nice to get a grasp on theory like bill said.

I use the piano for songwriting purpose's as wel.

Antony

SimonB
12-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I have a piano in my house, I dont practise it, but its really nice to get a grasp on theory like bill said.

I use the piano for songwriting purpose's as wel.

Antony

Yeah, I've pretty much only have experience with guitar, but I still use my piano in my house to write songs occasionally.

I also find the piano very useful for better understanding theory that is hard to understand on guitar.

Flextones
12-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Guni of the administration, and readers of this forum.

The piano lays the musical universe in front of you to look at. If you are a visual learner and comprehender who understands that harmonic patterns are actually based on knowledge of cycles then you have an excellent tool that makes the mathematics of music comprehendible. I play other instruments but I can't see what's going on in the music like I can see it on a piano. The resonance of sympathetic vibration exists on the acoustic piano. No organ or keyboard known to man can boast of that sonic reality. Knowlege of this introduces your ear to the fundamental and the harmonics which make the overtone series upon which all music is made using the well tempered scale which we are working with now since 1650 to the present.

I didn't realize that you have ignored the KING of instruments. Indeed your light bulb just had a great intuitive idea. It turned on.

Bill Brown
12-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Guni of the administration, and readers of this forum.

The piano lays the musical universe in front of you to look at. If you are a visual learner and comprehender who understands that harmonic patterns are actually based on knowledge of cycles then you have an excellent tool that makes the mathematics of music comprehendible. I play other instruments but I can't see what's going on in the music like I can see it on a piano. The resonance of sympathetic vibration exists on the acoustic piano. No organ or keyboard known to man can boast of that sonic reality. Knowlege of this introduces your ear to the fundamental and the harmonics which make the overtone series upon which all music is made using the well tempered scale which we are working with now since 1650 to the present.

I didn't realize that you have ignored the KING of instruments. Indeed your light bulb just had a great intuitive idea. It turned on.Well said. :D

Flextones
12-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi Bill,

Thank you for the "Amen" brother.

I bought a book called "Let's Take Another Look at the Keyboard" by Dr. William Fowler. and all four of his other books on "Visual Keyboard". See www.fowlerbrothers.com/bill/vkcp1.htm ect...

The late Dr Fowler was a guitarist and college professor who used to present feature articles in "Downbeat Magazine" every month back in the 70's and 80's.

Fowler's premise is that guitar is easier to navigate than piano because you can move your hand position around and get automatic transposition, but unfortunately the looks and feels are different for each key (tonailty) on piano. This is true because the harmonic fifth does not divide evenly in the tempered scale. The split is an asymmetrical set of thirds which are either major or minor. Fowler provided me with a new look at the piano as a bunch of white and black buttons. I was already a proficent college graduated music student and teacher who did learn something about the look of the keys. If you are a visual learner I suggest that you read or get a copy of his first book.

I promise I will have more to say on the topic in the future.

Flextones

B.Bankz
01-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Question, how to distinguish bewteen pefect 4ths and 5ths...they sound to similiar...the 4 sounds a little flat..but at times...they sound just alike

Malcolm
01-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Adela -- ran across Dr. Wirth's paper on The Art of Fingering. Good basic reference material you might want to bookmark.

http://www.cmmusicschool.org/download/fingering.pdf

Malcolm

B.Bankz
01-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Will do, I will review this thanx again....

B.Bankz
01-11-2008, 07:19 AM
any other helpful tips or insight

Alexalin
11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Well,I am new here and i am a great piano lover.Even i am searching for the piano players who can explain me about piano.I will share my experience with and please share your experiences with me.

Flextones
11-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Alexalin,

My reply to you and to any others here who are interested in piano performance and music theory lend me your ears if you have any. I am interested in exchanging any thoughts or ideas that you might have on this topic. I am will to share my two cents as well.

If you show me yours. I will show you mines.:D

flextones

Alexalin
11-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Thank you mr.flextones.Really i am very happy with your Response and definitely we will exchange the links and ideas so that we can share the information on our intresting topic piano..I hope we can maintain the good conversations.

Thanks,
Alex

twinklemom
04-15-2009, 07:20 PM
After a year's hard work, my daughter has certainly earned my admiration. There are many piano-inspired gifts online, but I wanted something unique and not so "commercial-looking". Etsy has a reputation for showcasing artisans' work and I was thrilled to find this and wanted to share it with you:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23448199 (http://)

lemarquis
04-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Glad to see a new addition to piano forums on the web!

Philcwm
04-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for pointing us in the right direction Bob.

angel212
04-22-2009, 01:43 AM
practice makes perfect right?? :p

Piano_Piano (http://www.musicalinstrumentsetc.com/Categories/Keyboards%20and%20MIDI/Digital%20Pianos/Digital%20Stage%20Pianos.html):)

fingerpikingood
04-22-2009, 03:00 AM
practice makes perfect right?? :p

actually personally i don't find this saying accurate. i don't think perfection is attainable for anyone in anything. there is always room for improvement no matter how good you get. and thank god for that.

so for me, it's more like practice makes better.

Malcolm
04-22-2009, 12:39 PM
If you practice bad stuff, you get real good at playing bad stuff. We should practice correctly.

28lorelei
11-03-2010, 01:40 AM
By the way, what music is everyone playing here?
I just finished Chopin's Berceuse, am also playing a Brahms intermezzo and Beethoven D major sonata. Oh right and the Ab major Chopin etude (Aeolian harp).

pianoraven
07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
If you practice bad stuff, you get real good at playing bad stuff. We should practice correctly.

Does this forum have any practice techniques or articles?

moniquebliss
10-02-2012, 10:52 AM
I love to play instruments and guitar is the first instrument that I used to learn. Now, I am starting to learn the keys of piano and I must say that I am really interested to it. I have a few pieces that I know and I am enjoying to it.

Malcolm
10-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I love to play instruments and guitar is the first instrument that I used to learn. Now, I am starting to learn the keys of piano and I must say that I am really interested to it. I have a few pieces that I know and I am enjoying to it.
Keys are a great second instrument. Mine is right next to my guitar & bass practice chair. I use it for a click track and find it useful in working out melody riffs.

I especially like E-Z Play sheet music. E-Z sheet music - standard notation with the note name inside the standard notation symbols plus the chords are shown like you find in lead sheet music. Using this kind of sheet music jazz standards come together in about an hour. Piano music stores will have books of E-Z sheet music - just ask the clerks to show you where.

Yes love to relax on the keyboard.

Enjoy.

Adele Brooks
04-30-2016, 07:13 PM
What do you think about the expensive pianos, does it make sense to buy such grand pianos (for example http://europianosnaples.com/ (http://europianosnaples.com))? I play on the digital piano.

buysclikes
03-27-2017, 10:13 AM
To learn piano you need to work hard.

buysclikes
05-20-2017, 10:19 AM
I think it will be a good place to learn and know about the piano. Thanks for posting all this information.

Jason13
02-18-2019, 05:57 AM
Some piano have 61 keys and some piano have 88 keys.

sofialucas
07-24-2019, 06:55 PM
I always think about a usual question that how to remember piano keys for certain sound behind those keys?