PDA

View Full Version : harmonics

jamesandrews84
01-03-2003, 12:28 AM
hey guys, i'm a newbie here so be patient with me ;) anyway, i'm trying to learn the beat it solo (jacko) and i'm struggling with the harmonics part of it?? sometimes i can pull it off, sometimes i cant. has anybody got any tips or excercises that i could do so i could pull this off everytime??

p.s. if you dont know what i'm talking about, check out the tabbed beat it solo be EV on here

szulc
01-03-2003, 03:05 AM
Take some simple thing you know how to play in open position and tap every note on the fret exacly 12 frets higher, then try 7 or 5 frets higher. Keep doing this until you can nail it every time. Use your right hand index finger to tap, it is jus tlike tapping arpeggios except you hit at the fret and you move your finger away quickly.

d7th
01-03-2003, 10:29 AM
I had the same problem a few months ago... and what I can say is : it comes with practrice.

It seems difficult at the begining but it's not that hard.
Do what szulc told you .The easier is to do it on the open low E 12th , 7th, 5th frets higher, you can also do it on the 4th or 9th frets (same pitch) or on the 3rd (this one is the most difficult). Try this on the other strings and on other frets and you will see it's more difficult on the thiner strings.

You may have noticed that it is also easier to play t.h. with a lot of trebble. You should also try to do some without an amp.

If you have a good internet connexion I ought you to download some Van Halen vid. I learned a lot ;)

Hope this helps

jamesandrews84
01-05-2003, 05:26 PM
cheers guys - thats been great - i'll give it a go!!!!