PDA

View Full Version : Motivation !!

soulpumpkin1974
03-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on how ot motivate my bandmates.
A quick lowdown.Im a australian living in Holland for 18 months now and with a band for about the same amount of time.
Since coming on board I have worked hard on getting us into shape,writting the songs,teaching everyone the parts.And now am stuck trying to get the shows
as well,which I dont mind except for the fact I dont know the scene and a small problem I dont speak dutch :S
I have played in working bands in Australia for 10 years or so and worked for a production company for a number of years so I know what things need to be done.My bandmates talk the talk but dont walk the walk,if you know what I mean ?? They talk and have good ideas but then theres no action so twice a week its just rehearsal.
I even mailed our demo to a venue here and it gor reviewed as 5 out of 6 so I thought well we sould chase them up for a show,even as a support act.
But the other guys still havent even called them !!??

Im getting quite bummed out and frustrated.
Any advice on would be welcome.Thanks in advance
Marshall

rmuscat
03-20-2005, 10:05 AM
try to find out reasons why they aren't.

I play in a band, and don't look very motivated because i don't believe in what we do. I have always had high expectations so that works against me. So basically try to find if they believe in what they're doing. If they like the band's music etc

As for the gig. Get a mobile phone, grab one of your mates just before/after rehearsal and MAKE HIM call :)

Los Boleros
03-20-2005, 08:53 PM
This can be a big problem. without gigs, bands break up. At some point, some one has to say,"this is important enough to persue". that person may have to be you. It doesnt have to be but if no-one does it, you band will have problems.
What kind of music is it? is it some thing that can be played at a coffee house? are there open-mic nite clubs in town? got friends that need a band for a party. At first, you will have to practically give away your services. But the band will be happy playing. At least practice will have a purpose.

curiousgeorge
03-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Are they dope smokers? That can certainly feed laziness. :cool:

oRg
03-21-2005, 05:50 PM
I've run into this problem as well. What I normally do is sit them down just after a session and I would talk with them. I would say stuff like "I'm pretty serious about this band, and I expect the same from bandmates. If you don't want to be serious thats fine but there is really no room for sub-par dedication here". Basically I would tell them that you don't want to be a manager for the band and that you'd like the whole band to participate in booking gigs and such. Tell them they need to start carrying their weight.

soulpumpkin1974
03-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Cheers for the thoughts guys,

Those are all good ideas and my girl tells me that all time :)
I did have a sit down a few months ago with them all and they agreed and said Yes we understand,we want it too work too etc etc.And to be fair they have put in for awhile but then the enthousiasim fades.
I am in music because its what I do,and for the others they say its what they want to do but their other professions seem to come first,two of them are IT guys.
Ive been lucky enough to have been able to support myself for the last 10 years or so and have had some marginal success with a few bands.Of course we all have to run some sort of day jobs,I understand that.I have a bad case of GAS so boy do I know :)
But I have seen what the positives are of a succesful band and know how hard it is to get there.The others havent really played for the livelyhood,so to speak and on Monday they go back to the IT firms and I run around organizing things for this band.
Just debating if I should cut my loses and search for a new group ??

Just having a little rant,sorry.But thanks for your advice guys.
Later
Marshall

mantermite
03-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Sounds like you have a more serious thought and feeling towards what you are doing, it may be time to move on. Could be time for the big talk with the band about what the band is aiming for and where you as a musician is wanting to go. If the band answer and your answer don't point in the right direction, time to move on. If it can go amicably and you still get to play with the band on a part time basis will just be good for the variety as you go forward down your path.

No_Worries
03-31-2005, 03:27 AM
JUST BLOODY WELL GET IT DONE YOU LAZY GIT!!!!!

hows that?

:D

mantermite
03-31-2005, 10:45 AM
JUST BLOODY WELL GET IT DONE YOU LAZY GIT!!!!!

hows that?

:D Or in a nut shell as No Worries says. lol
http://sbd42.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/guitar.jpg.w300h239.jpg

whopwooper
04-01-2005, 08:17 AM
All or nothing. And as said 10 times tell them to stop worrying and to Get their act together...Otherwise in reality your not really right for eachother....I hate TV addicts and regular PUB wafflers who go on but have no reall commitment and it all says what I call A PIPE DREAM.....Stop dreaming and ACT 'thought follows feeling follows action`....?? or what ever that brilliant method acting Quote from Marlin brando was????

soulpumpkin1974
04-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Cheers again guys for your reply's.

I had the talk with them and again they have promised to do more and act on the things we plan rather than talking then leaving it up to me.
But I have been here before with them and told them that I have done this twice before this is the last time I can do it.My girl says if I spent as much time and effort on finding or putting a new band together with some dedicated people we would be up and running by now.
Its just hard out of convenice but also loyalty to my band to say well thats it see you later.
Will keep y;all informed,its like bloody Days of our Lives :D oh the drama....

Marshall

Gig-Getter
10-04-2007, 07:39 AM
I've run into this problem as well. What I normally do is sit them down just after a session and I would talk with them. I would say stuff like "I'm pretty serious about this band, and I expect the same from bandmates. If you don't want to be serious thats fine but there is really no room for sub-par dedication here". Basically I would tell them that you don't want to be a manager for the band and that you'd like the whole band to participate in booking gigs and such. Tell them they need to start carrying their weight.

If they're not comfortable trying to get gigs (and many people are not) talk about what they might be prepared to do to help get the band's name out. Can they help get a website up? Set up a demo-making session? (Maybe they're good at editing music on a PC or the recording aspect..) Or can they be the one to arrange a friend to come to any gigs and get some good publicity photographs?

Ultimately if someone's not prepared to do anything off-stage and you are, you have to face that there's an imbalance there. If they really won't change then it may be time to find another band member or band yourself.

bdemon
10-18-2007, 03:35 PM
IMO, if your mates aren't stepping up to the plate now they aren't going to step up in the future. I've been in at least three bands where I would be turbocharged in getting gigs, learning someone else's songs, doing all the things a good team player would do. But then I ask for help in promotion? Learn the changes in one of my songs? Let the foot dragging begin!

It's like relationship where you want to change your partner...can't change another person. I say move on if it's really that frustrating. There are too many musicians out there to waste time on a couple.

Gig-Getter
10-18-2007, 03:48 PM

It's exactly like struggling to change your partner's behaviour. Give them a chance to change. If they won't do it then move on as bdemon says. Plenty of other musos out there. Some will have the same goals as you. Your job then is to find them...

UKRuss
10-18-2007, 03:49 PM
After two and a half years since the OP...He might have sorted it out one way or the other.:D

LaughingSkull
10-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Yeah, he is smoking dope together with them, and now he doesn't care anymore.