PDA

View Full Version : New prospective student

Gitboxer
03-02-2005, 12:58 AM
I'd like to say hello to this new world of music lovers. Once I discovered the articles on this site and read some of the threads, I knew I had to sign up. Anyway, I've been playing guitar for about a year now, and I've got a solid foundation of music theory and can get around pretty easily on the fretboard, so don't expect me to ask any amateur "what's a chord" type questions. I'll start off by saying that I'm one of those kids who loves music- I played piano for over a year and I feel this has helped a ton- and I want to know everything there is to know. It's just sometimes I get bogged down in theory, even though I want to learn as much as possible, especially Jazz theory. Should I take it easy and just play or go head first? Your vast wisdom is appreciated.

P.S.- Gitbox is a term my friends and I use for guitar.

Zatz
03-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Welcome to IBreatheMusic!

It's just sometimes I get bogged down in theory, even though I want to learn as much as possible, especially Jazz theory. Should I take it easy and just play or go head first?

I would say that unless you're aiming to become a pro it's a good idea to find a balance between setting goals and having fun.

Good luck and meet you on the forums ;)

Zatz.

RohanJM
03-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Yup take it easy dont jump into too much theory, I would suggest start traning your ear and take in the theory slowly and as you need it, set goals to complete all your scales, modes and arpeggios those really help in the long run. Also keep an eye on your fingering!

RO

Koala
03-03-2005, 03:58 AM
Yup, balance is the key. remember it HAS TO be fun!