PDA

View Full Version : Strictly Dorian?

Pages : [1] 2

UKRuss
02-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Really? Is it?

I just dunno anymore...

Anyway, I've left a funky type backing track on a Dmin G7 type thingy.

It came out with a funky feel and as usual I've done me bit in terms of putting a line over the top, hopefully plucking some Dorian flavour over the thing. Accentuating the b3 b7 where appropriate of course..

It's arguable that it is of course Mixolydian over the G7...and pentatonic in places...and theres some other stuff in there but not too much I hope. In the sense of trying to stay Strictly...err that should be Strickly whatever, I haven't been too crazy..

But there are those that might say it's because I can't be more creative anyway LOL:D

Anyway, I'm sure having the extra chord available might open it up for the cleverer musicians amongst us to demonstrate some niiiiice stuff. Just one additional rule if you stray from the "strickly" path, please explain what you done, to us mere mortals, cheers.

Dorian, or whatever you fancy and try to explain, in Dmin.

Enjoy!

Poparad
02-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Check out Pat Martino's writtings about soloing. He likes to 'minorize' everything so he can take all his dorian licks and reuse them over all the other kinds of chords.

satch_master
02-14-2005, 08:38 PM
hahah u make me laugh russ, thanks for this, ill definately post something up today. so whats this the 3rd instalment in the "strictly series"?. lol. sweet backing. so its a Dorian in the key of D, flat 3rd and 7th. so thats a minor key, duh and it must be a minor 7th chord. and then you say iut goes to G7. well i think ill be safe in Dorian in the key of D see if i can even do that first! but for now striclty dorian. whats with all the random stops man, its gonna put me off time bad, i better remember where they are! your version wasent bad, nothing great but im being plain. this stuff is pretty hard to solo over so mines probably gonna be worse lol.

Mateo150
02-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Now thats some gooood stuff. Love the backing and what you do with it Russ, sounds fantastic. Maybe i can give it a try if the local music store ever finished fixing my guitar. Sounds really nice man.

Great backing, I had fun just learning that...

satch_master
02-14-2005, 09:19 PM
heres my take, i absoloutly love it. for me its pretty good. recording still a bit ****ty but im working on it. mines is kinda penta dorian but the notes in dorian are in pentatonic(most of them) so im not cheating. thanks for the unexpected stops throughout the song russ. it gave me space to delete sections with mistakes or part i werent happy with, so it came in handy lol. i love the start with the legato however my legato needs work.. i was gonna use clean but im more of an overdrive/dist player. i tried to replay notes over and over and licks this time cause i have a tendancy to run upo and down scales and play stupid shred. its like if i dont incorporate the whole scale of dorian of all the modes across both octaves of the fretboard it aint good enough. .. ive kept it simple, and pretty much boxed in around the 10th fret. simple but sounds good. id love to hear more takes. if i do another definatly funky wah is cryin' for this song man.

Moonchild
02-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Wow, these threads are loads of fun! :p
I tried to come up with some funky lead-playing that would suit the backing-track. Not sure if it's "dorian" or not though, I just played whatever I though sounded good.. It's mostly pentatonic anyway, and it's not completely improvised (I had to do a couple of retakes..).

MattW
02-15-2005, 12:06 AM
UKRuss, I like that! Funkaaay! I like the phrasing on your take, suits the backing really well. Satch, nice but perhaps you could try with a little less distortion, it masks alot of the dynamics and your playing loses a lot of definition because of it. Moonchild, some cool pentatonic stuff going on there.
I'll have a go at recording a version tomorrow when I get back from lectures, should be fun!

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 12:47 AM
hey satch, lotsa good stuff goin on but im not sure (i remeber you said you plugged in a certain way) but the distortion is really one sided and its probably cause of your line in.(dont know how to explain it) but an alternative is using a mic. That buzz i hear that you get when your guitar picks up sounds like from the line, i had that problem till i used a mic and it doesnt do that anymore. Moon, your take was awesome as well, had that funky blues. Both of them were great. Mines taken forever but im already liking it and i hope you all will too. I already know its gonna be way too big for ibreathe so it will be posted on my site when i get it done.

satch_master
02-15-2005, 01:18 AM
yeah i just went and bought a mic today for a measly $8 . in the future i will be going mic to record cause line in just sucks man. my lead tone is terrible. i might do another take with a funky wah. moon child i love teh funk brother. nice. simple playing( not to many notes) but thats all you need for an effective solo. my prob is playing 2 many notes to quick. like up and down whole scales. and thinking that in every solo if i dont do legato, sweep picking and big scale runs than its 2 simple and everyone will hate it , but ive came to realise it all about emotion and sound not technique or speed. i love the phrasing and your licks. later

Los Boleros
02-15-2005, 01:46 AM
It came out with a funky feel and as usual I've done me bit in terms of putting a line over the top, hopefully plucking some Dorian flavour over the thing. Accentuating the b3 b7 where appropriate of course..
Enjoy!Hey Russ, You remind me of one of my all time favorites, Peter Frampton. Nice. MoonChild, Tasty also, great tone. Satch, well, ahh, can't wait till you try it with your mic set up:p I can't record with now cause my daughter is in the Computer room with me and she cranks her music. You guys ever heard of Muse? Well she plays it all the time and I have really grown to like it.:D

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 02:07 AM
muse? do you mean fuse? or is muse a band. I know fuse is a channel that plays music.

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 02:31 AM
Without further adue. Here is my take. I recorded a my keyboard over the drums and a organ solo not to mention little tid bits here and there. I took a jazzy feel at the begining and the end and in the middle gave a twist to the things. Lengthened the song too (the drum pattern). Im actually proud to post this one on the board (i wasnt with the others x.x). It sounds best when turned up loud but not TOO loud =P ;) . Comments and advice welcome. BTW, thanks a bunch for that awesome backing track, it really spured alot of inspiration. All these modes are making me more comfortable with playing 3nps and such and i already can tell im getting better in relation to where notes are on the fretboard and such while improvising with modes. Thanks alot russ, YOU ROCK MAN! lol. Its gonna take a LONG time to download even with DSL but i promise its worth it! 2.08 MB

as usual go here-------->
http://www.angelfire.com/music6/gtrvvampyre/

and click ---------->Dorian D (Proud of this one).........enjoy =P (hopefully :rolleyes: )

i think i really got the groove of this song and thats why i did better and im happpy with it :)

Russ, what do you use to create those drums, im not sure if you mentioned it but theres one part when i cut the drums i would have loved to have them kick back in really hard.

satch_master
02-15-2005, 06:08 AM
really nice gtr vampire. something refreshing and different to listen to. love the organ solo 2. your playing aint sloppy unlike mine. i like the dynamics from soft to loud. nice melodies man. good tone aswell.

SeattleRuss
02-15-2005, 08:01 AM
OK - Here's my take on the Dorian backing. Hope you don't mind Russ - I kinda took out the stops & starts....

Anyway, this is just me going off after having a Valentines Day Korean Bar-B-Q Eating Fest with enough bloated gut action to last the rest of the....the....day!

ashc
02-15-2005, 09:08 AM
They should rename "dorian" to "Carlos" - give 10 isolated guitarists Dm7 / G7 and they all sound like Santana :D

Everyone did a good job so far. Pro-efforts from everyone called Russ! (great backing track from the UK one as well).

Moonchild - Nice again. I think you said you've been playing just 1 1/2 years - you are someone we are going to have too keep an eye on!

Satch - you sound a bit Carlos'ish like also - Death Santana with all that distortion maybe, better tone than the Ionian take. Hope you can fix the recording setup to lose the hum soon.

Vampyre - nice, there was a hendrixy legato bit in there, so you broke away from the Santana curse for a second.

Los B - I know Muse - great live band, he's a very talented and intense performer. Looking forward to another pro job from you

I'll give it a go, I can't see a way to cheat on this one - grab the stick on mustache, put on the aviators, neck pick up, roll off the volume knob, dial in a boogie amp setting and......flop.

How about strickly jeopardy (in honour of the TV show) - someone posts a solo and you have to put on a rhythm track ;-) Seriously, it would be good to do this for rhythm work too - maybe styles? e.g. RHCP funk, Led Zep riff, Hendrix chord embellishments... input could just be a key or progression.

UKRuss
02-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Wow, great response guys. I'm glad your liking the idea!

Exactly what The Bash was saying at th4e end of the Ionian thread, in fact I believe he actually mentions a I IV, so we get a i IV7!

I think it's gonna pay dividends to what we start to hear, I'm looking forward to hearing all the tracks later when I get home. Answering some of the queries etc.

But thanks for all the feedback!

ashc
02-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Hey folks, some mention of b3 and b7 in respect of dorian, but don't forget the real difference between dorian and aeolian is the natural 6th vs b6!

UKRuss
02-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Hey Ash, that's interesting. So your saying you think of the minor modes changing in relation to the minor scale rather than to the root major scale?I've never thought about it that way but of course it actually makes a lot of sense to do that.

Rather than me doing any work:rolleyes: What's the other defining relations between Aeolian and Phrygian and Aeolian and Locrian?

Grovesy
02-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Sorry to jump in and answer it for you Ashc, but while i'm here to add my $0.02 i may as well answer. Learning modes relative to the minor scale has helped me a lot; simplifies things greatly since i'm very familiar with aeolian, i probably know my minors better than my majors.

Phrygian = Aeolian with b2
Locrian = Aeolian with b2 and b5

ashc
02-15-2005, 10:36 AM
b2 for Phyrgian, b2 and b5 for locrian - deathly stuff :D

satch_master
02-15-2005, 11:28 AM
They should rename "dorian" to "Carlos" - give 10 isolated guitarists Dm7 / G7 and they all sound like Santana :D

Everyone did a good job so far. Pro-efforts from everyone called Russ! (greating breaking track from the UK one as well).

Moonchild - Nice again. I think you said you've been playing just 1 1/2 years - you are someone we are going to have too keep an eye on!

Satch - you sound a bit Carlos'ish like also - Death Santana with all that distortion maybe, better tone than the Ionian take. Hope you can fix the recording setup to lose the hum soon.

Vampyre - nice, there was a hendrixy legato bit in there, so you broke away from the Santana curse for a second.

Los B - I know Muse - great live band, he's a very talented and intense performer. Looking forward to another pro job from you

I'll give it a go, I can't see a way to cheat on this one - grab the stick on mustache, put on the aviators, neck pick up, roll of the volume knob, dial in a boogie amp setting and......flop.

How about strickly jeopardy (in honour of the TV show) - someone posts a solo and you have to put on a rhythm track ;-) Seriously, it would be good to do this for rhythm work too - maybe styles? e.g. RHCP funk, Led Zep riff, Hendrix chord embellishments... input could just be a key or progression.
i dont get all this santana stuff man! what are you talking about. i really dont wanna be compared to carlos santana. do you mean cause i do alot of pentatonic solsing that sounds like santana? whats the santana curse? hendrix plays the same type solos as santana. sorry im just confused with your terminology could you be more specific.

satch_master
02-15-2005, 11:36 AM
hey seattle russ, your the man! that was insane.

UKRuss
02-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Satch! No disrespect but I'd think you'd have to be over the moon to be compared to Santana! The man is the daddy and, as Ash says, the Dorian king!

It's because of that and his amazing use of that Dorian sound that whenever any Dorian playing occurs it just ends up sounding like Santana! Which in my view is no bad thing. If I can pick up a guitar and sound like Santana at any given time I'd have to be happy with that!

Thanks Grovesy and Ash for the minor relatives to the aeolian, yes it is very helpful to look at them that way!

One of my main problems as a player has been the inability to see for myself different way of looking at things and different ways of doing things...prolly cos I'm just downright lazy:D

UKRuss
02-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Ash! btw, yeah you've hit on something there, a demo of styles of playing and the chord progressions, modes they utilise, types of chord, voicings etc.

Or of course it could be the style of a certain player...like Santana, although we may have covered that one already as you say:D We'd have to throw in a bit of harmonic minor too though...

UKRuss
02-15-2005, 12:07 PM
...and I just read through Los B's earlier comments. Just to say I'm honoured I could draw any kind of Framptonesque parallels, that's very kind. I saw him supporting Deep Purple a couple months back and he is great to see live...now wheres my vocoder?

Now Muse would make one hell of an exercise, has anyone analysed some of that stuff? Mind bending changes and scales, he is one hell of a player/songwriter the singer/guitarist.

About the drums GtrvVamp: Just stock loops from the onboard Boss drum machine I'm afraid,step programmed. They're actually pretty good and of course you can program manually and write your own patterns but I just don't have the patience!:D

ashc
02-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Hey Grovesy, I hear what you are saying, looks like we were posting in parallel!

Satch - don't worry man, your not gonna complain if Mr Smith starts sending you free axes :D

Another thought on these Strickly threads is that it's getting people recording themselves which is cool because 1) it's v. important to hear yourself play 2) people are developing their recording chops as well at the same time!

rmuscat
02-15-2005, 01:37 PM
people are developing their recording chops as well at the same time!

like 4hrs and around 200 crappy takes for the dorian one (i am calling them "Funky Dorian - Cow In Heat")

:( :mad:

ashc
02-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Rob - go easy on yourself man, you're more self-critical than I am. Your Ionian was a nice mellow partner to the phantom mellow one.

I just noticied a weird typo in my earlier post in Satchs quote. I wrote "greating breaking track" when I mean't "great backing track" :D

UKRuss
02-15-2005, 01:55 PM
LOL, I just read that too and you know my brain read it correctly...but then I looked back and thought, that's wierd someone has edited your post:p

I have been working on my greating breaking though...coming on a treat.

Rob, I wanna hear the HotCow mix!!

...I'll shut the Dorian on my way out:D

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 02:06 PM
So any spoilers to what the next installment will be?

rmuscat
02-15-2005, 02:12 PM
still am not happy with it ... it feels like i'm trying to play beyond what i physically can, i hate when that happens. its like something is trapped inside of me!

i'll give it another shot sometime though, unless i am consumed by my inner me (lol that makes sound like i'm a martyr lmao)

haven't heard all of them them yet ... russ i really liked your version (as i already said) you put to good use those fast runs too IMHO in the other version i felt they were just put in to be there, here they were much more at home to my ear. Good structure too. Good stuff overall!!

Satch dude ... i like some of the rhythmic things, you did with those double stops/partial chords, good use of syncopation & muting. those legato things you did in the very beginning (you did them in the other version of ionian too) well in my opinion you need to put them in context and in time, otherwise you're better off not putting them in at all.

Overall pretty ok for me though satch, ignoring the extra recording noise, thats not your fault anyway and we're not here to learn about our recording ability. That said it would be more usefull to everyone (esp yourself) if you keep trying to remove the noise so everyone concentrate on the music and playing! Much better than the ionian one though lol.

ashc
02-15-2005, 02:12 PM
If we are doing them all it would be phrygian next...

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 02:20 PM
I can already hear the malmsteen sound in phyrgian. ALSO I learned depending on where you place your mic near your amp speaker determines alot of the sound. If you want, take off the little weaved part to get the mic to pickup more directionally and not just in a open area. Furthermore elevate it to point straight into your amp speaker. The closer to the middle you place it facing the more trebel you get and the more to the left or right towards the edges of the speaker you move it to, the more bass you get. Some people place it kinda in the middle at an angle to get the right sound they want. Just experiment to get the balance you want. Some people may not have thought to move their mic around to get their right sound. Thanks for the good comments and everyones tracks sound awesome!

ashc
02-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Yes, phyrgian is very metal. I think malmsteen is famed for using the phyrgian dominant which is a mode of harmonic minor (5th or something) but I wouldnt know 'cos I've never heard him.

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 02:29 PM
You should listen to him wether you like shred or not. He does perform some awesome slow paced classical songs if you know what to look for but he mainly shreds fast as hell. He even has a song called "Heavy E Phyrgian" =P. Oh and just wondering, how long has everyone been playing guitar? 2 years here.

Mateo150
02-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Thats insanely good if you've only been playing for one year and 1/2 Moonchild. Awesome tone and all. And Vamp, you wrote somewhere you'd only been playing for 2 years, thats great for 2 years. You guys are prodigial, really. Really good sounds. Great stuff Russ.

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the kind words mateo :). Your ionian improv sounded awesome, when can we expect another improv in dorian? =P. Only thing wrong with your ionian improv is the volume is kinda low on the guitar but that cant really be helped and isnt your fault. I'd love to hear your dorian improv though.

Mateo150
02-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Check out my "recording questions" thread to help. I only have a half-body acoustic, and the amp plugin broke off. I have a $20 computer mic, and *wink* Cakewalk. I'll try to put one up, but I have to force the volume up on my play which makes the tone bad (out of my comfort range), and I have that problem with the mic recording me hitting the pickguard which is annoying and sounds bad. Vamp, since you directed me to CakeWalk, you know a website where i can find out how to use it? My version doesn't have a help file.

Currently, I hit record, then start the backing track (I set the volume at 3 out of 100 since this is the volume that its recorded at), then play. But the recording is with me and the backing track. Is there a way to have it just record what comes thru the mic and add in the backing later, so I can pump up the volume on what I play but leave the backing unedited?

UKRuss
02-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Whooooaooaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Hold your funky Dorian horses a moment!

Guys you have blown me away!!!

Satch, what an improvement! Yeah it's a shame about the tone and your addiction to playing all the notes all the time;) But there is some great ideas in there man, really nice stuff. Once you get that recoprding problems resolved you'll be flying (In a blue dream:D )

Moon, are you Dave Gilmour? What a tone!!! Stunning stuff.

GtrVamp, awesome funkadelia my man, and the organ stuff? What a touch of genius!! For you guys to have been playing for such a short period of time is astonishing and if you're learning anything at all by working your stuff over my backing tracks than I'm proud to have helped!

Russ of the Seattle, as I would expect my man, top quality funkadelics. veeeeeeery nice. Now where can I get me some of that Korean BBQ you was talking about?:D

As for speculation on the next installment...mmmm, who knows?:cool:

Where's Factor? He'd love this vibe I think and we haven't seen Loveguitar for a while...and we're still waiting for Rob of the Muscat to get his geetar sorted!

Not to mention Los B!

This one far from over yet guys!

SeattleRuss, I detected a bit of outside playing in there,,,go straight to the bottom of the class:D No seriously any words on what was going on there? What's the shift? Where did you go and how did you get back to the resolution? Would be good info. for us all!

PS. Mateo I really loved your groove on the Ionian take BTW, checked out and it is mellow and fiiiine. Really hoping you get your stuff together for this one too!

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 08:58 PM
I just remembered i have a awesome techno program that can produce some awesome drums. I added it to it and put it back up. Nothing major, just did it to add the effect i wanted during the heavy solo :). I hope you dont mind russ, me adding organ and other instruments and all (i may do it on further "strickly" threads"). Im trying to become for profficient with keyboard and such.

UKRuss
02-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Go for it. You just have to make sure you explain what you're doing if you go outside the strickly guidelines...

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Alright, will do. I pretty much followed the D penta and Dorian mode so nothing new. BTW if anyone plays piano or keyboard critsism is more than welcome on what i can improve. Same goes with guitar of course. Still trying to get use to double stops (think thats what its called) cause when i bend a string cause of my floating tremelo it pulls it forward and so im use to putting alot of stretch to get the 2 pitches on the 2 strings the same but with this floating tremelo i dont need to use as much pressure and i overdo it alot.

Moonchild
02-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. You're too kind :p

GtrvVampyre: Love it! You've got some really good ideas there, and you displayed some cool chops towards the end too :)
Really nice!

SeattleRuss
02-15-2005, 10:21 PM
UKRuss wrote:

SeattleRuss, I detected a bit of outside playing in there,,,go straight to the bottom of the class No seriously any words on what was going on there? What's the shift? Where did you go and how did you get back to the resolution?

Thanks for the kind words, Russ! Oh and BTW - nice name! :D

You know, I don't think I went out much at all except for the b5s, which are just part of the "blues scale" anyway...sometimes the way you approach or lay on a b5 will make it sound more "out". I also hit a few natural 7ths and there is one place that I actually hit a major 3rd, but just in passing.

One thing to do on a D Dorian vamp like this is to try other pentatonics - like Em pentatonic. Notice that it contains no notes that are outside of D Dorian but can force you to phrase differently.

If there's any place in there that you want me to get more specific about, just let me know.

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks a bunch moon. I loved the melody yours had. It sounded wicked :) .

PS: UKRuss would you mind tabbing out the begining of your take? Where you kinda repeated 4 times i really loved the sound it has and i cant quite get it.

(Wow, these threads sure to get alot of hits and replies)

Just for reference cause i sure know im just learning these modes so if you dont know what the scales for the mode is and such this site is a real help.
http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html
They have about every scale for every key, its a life saver sometimes.

ashc
02-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Here I come, I decided to post this now because by morning I wouldn't. I made lots of jerky phrasing mess ups. General plan was to try and work that natural 6th into some of my usual pentatonic nonsense, oh well... If I dont put this one up I'll be spending tomorrow on it as well.

satch_master
02-15-2005, 11:15 PM
recorded with a mic this time lol. with wah and LP. not as happy as the first one but get away with it. sorry if u hear wierd noises in the background its my dad being annoying. lol.
first part is funky wah, second is shredding, third is a mad melody thing that i really like, and last part is mindless pentatonic let rip shredding.
this is pretty much testing how i can record properly and not have humming or gay noises.

satch_master
02-15-2005, 11:24 PM
recorded with a mic this time lol. with wah and LP. not as happy as the first one but get away with it. sorry if u hear wierd noises in the background its my dad being annoying. lol.
first part is funky wah, second is shredding, third is a mad melody thing that i really like, and last part is mindless pentatonic let rip shredding.
this is pretty much testing how i can record properly and not have humming or gay noises.

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Nice ash, sounds like you know what your doin but it kinda sounds like you hesistate some. I do it too unless i really feel the song and i usualy keep consistent and do really well. I'd just work on consistence and maby moving around the pent/dorian scale. But it sounds great and i love the bluesey bends =P. (Being a zep fan myself i'v always been a sucker for penta blues.). Hey sach wheres your recording? cant wait to hear it without the line in buzz of doom. nvm you got it up now.

Rizla
02-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Some really great playing, I'll take part as soon as my arm is better and I get my new recording device that Russ recommended.

GtrvVampyre
02-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Lots better satch!! Sounded much much better without that hum. Nice technique and your tone sounds alot better. Like that you put a wah to use =P. Just gotta watch out for those stops, lol.

ashc
02-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Vampyre - yeah, you caught me. There is a lot of hesitation in this one, thats why I thought about dropping that one and having another go later... I didn't really have a clear idea of what I wanted to do with this and it shows! Normally, I'd like to take a bit longer and have some motifs and overall structure in mind, I can't really just improv straight out well at all - well I can't play well at all, but anyway.....

Satch - the recordings are getting better every time!

Factor
02-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Whooooaooaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Hold your funky Dorian horses a moment!

Where's Factor? He'd love this vibe I think and we haven't seen Loveguitar for a while...and we're still waiting for Rob of the Muscat to get his geetar sorted!
Thanks for missing me :P

Argh, damned be my internet supplier! They inadvertantly discontinued my service, so now I'm stuck without internet at home, for like five to six working days!

I'm loving the vibe of this track though, I sure wish I had an electric guitar and an amp right here at work!

I'll try to record something cool though. Hmm, how to avoid the obvoius funkness ... :)

UKRuss
02-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Looking forward to it!

GtrvVampyre
02-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Vampyre - yeah, you caught me. There is a lot of hesitation in this one, thats why I thought about dropping that one and having another go later... I didn't really have a clear idea of what I wanted to do with this and it shows! Normally, I'd like to take a bit longer and have some motifs and overall structure in mind, I can't really just improv straight out well at all - well I can't play well at all, but anyway.....
The last 2 (ionian and the brathe tracks) i didnt improvise well but this one, when i added the organ and piano rolls in places i just really got into the song and did the solos in one take! (surprised me i actually liked them within one take). Then again when i heard it i knew exactly what i wanted to do with it. Still sounded great and im sure you will get the hang of improvising with the more practice and you can play good too so dont be so harsh on yourself =P.

ashc
02-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks Vampyre, I have been at this a while already though ... :mad: Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I'm a jack of all trades - I can play all styles badly :D

GtrvVampyre
02-16-2005, 04:28 PM
well some days are good and some are off days. Maby it was just one of those days.

btangel
02-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Once I get help to get cakewalk recording right I'll post mine. I guess this will be my first improv. I started jamming to this yesterday and have a pretty good idea of what I'm gonna do when I record mine. Hopefully mine would be as enjoyable as the rest.

I'm really impressed with vampyre and moonchild's take on this one. I couldn't believe they've been playing for less than 2 years! Vampyre's got some really cool ideas with the organ in it and tied it with the guitar part together really well. Moonchild's just sounded so cool and I must say awesome tone there. :D

UKRuss
02-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Ash, I liked it! But why so staccato? You could let some of those notes ring on!

Satch, Most Impoved Player Award goes to...good job man. My one comment, (since you didnt like my take;) ) would be, think about playing with the effects more subtle, you can still have distortion and wah but use them in a less extreme way. You know how to use them, no question, but perhaps you want it all, all the time?:D You know what I'm saying.

UKRuss
02-16-2005, 08:39 PM
SeattleRuss, Nice name right back at ya:D

Its the little section between 0.35 and around 0.39, can't quite figure what your dong there but it sounds slightly outside...

UKRuss
02-16-2005, 09:18 PM
GtrVamp,

Heres the powertab for the opening bit, basically its a Dmin arp which skips the 2nd string ascending. The descending I just add in a couple of scale tones. And a little up bend and hold at the end!

Hey presto, instant hook!

satch_master
02-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Ash, I liked it! But why so staccato? You could let some of those notes ring on!

Satch, Most Impoved Player Award goes to...good job man. My one comment, (since you didnt like my take;) ) would be, think about playing with the effects more subtle, you can still have distortion and wah but use them in a less extreme way. You know how to use them, no question, but perhaps you want it all, all the time?:D You know what I'm saying.
yeah i do tend to go overboard with distortion and effects. i crank my gain up and all the wah and get the most scraziest wah sound. but yeah ill be careful to not go overboard with it or use it to much. i didnt mind your piece russ, not at all, its just a very different style to how i would play a solo. im an agressive player, if u like and i never use clean as much as i should...:(. whats the next installment? strictly phrigian? keep em coming russ , this is great and i want to do more solos.lol.

satch_master
02-16-2005, 09:40 PM
my fav version has to be gtr vampire. seriously best tone, best melody lines, great organ solo, then a killer overdiven solo and then back to the catchy melody. its really impressive playing man. my second fav gotta be seattle russ, there is so many mad licks in there that it makes u wanna cry. again , great blues tone . the reason i liked grtvampires more is cause he had a structure and yours was more or less just noodling around making licks off the dorian mode. but both were exceptional.

ashc
02-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Russ - on the stacatto thing, that always seems to happen when I don't have a plan or I'm apprehensive - it's a really really annoying part of my playing and I don't do it playing solos I know already. Here I was trying to overlay A aeolian shapes onto D minor pent as a way of accessing the modal notes around the D minor pent bones. Once I start thinking (like that) I start cutting the phrases off - I wish I knew why but I certainly got one thing out of this experiment - don't think! :D

SeattleRuss
02-16-2005, 10:00 PM
UKRuss wrote:

Its the little section between 0.35 and around 0.39, can't quite figure what your dong there but it sounds slightly outside...

Aaahh.....I wish I could take credit for that lick but it's one that I learned from Richard Hallebeek's website. I just went there to check which one. It's the 6th one down and I just used a portion of that - you'll recognize it right away and it's right there all tabed out for ya! :cool:

So yeah, that's the one that has the F# in it (major 3rd).

I'm glad you reminded me - I think I'm going to have to learn a few more from his site!

We guitarists are a shameless lot - stealing licks from each other with abandon! Well....at least I gave credit to Mr. Hallebeek!

SeattleRuss
02-16-2005, 10:03 PM
I wish I knew why but I certainly got one thing out of this experiment - don't think!

http://www.cool-merchandise.com/acatalog/bruce_lee_desktop.jpg

"Don't think - FEEEEEEEEEEEEL!"

:D

UKRuss
02-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Satch, I agree I liked GrtVamps Organ solo, thats a really new thing! Brought a smile to my face.

But I liked the ease with which SeattleRuss blew his lines over the top, easy, funky, stylish. nice. He's edging it for me this time round! My kind of playing.

AshC, Yeah, I hear what your saying, It's almost like your cutting it off in case it isn't a valid tone. This is where i think thinking of it as the second mode of C major would help more, rather than as overlaying A aeolian.

That way you can play the C major scale but really focus on flatting the 3rd and 7th.

Remember earlier you guys were saying about thinking in terms of relation to the minor scale rather than the major?

But now I'm thinking, perhaps sticking with thinking about 2nd mode of the major scale kinda helps you "see/hear" the defining tones more. I dunno...

Maybe its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

UKRuss
02-16-2005, 10:10 PM
SRuss! Nice one! LOL.

"see da finger pointing away to da moon"?

TSHH!

"Arrgh"!

"Never take your eyes off your opponen"

Now having waxed lyrical about focusing on the flatted 3rd against the major scale...I'm off to steal that riff with the major 3rd in it:D

Cheers dude and respect for the credit!

Zatz
02-16-2005, 10:12 PM
"Don't think - FEEEEEEEEEEEEL!"

:D
LOL :D

Would Bruce Lee play Dorian most of the time? :D

SeattleRuss
02-16-2005, 10:25 PM
"see da finger pointing away to da moon"?

LOL!!!

What I've always found kinda funny in that movie, is that the writers decided to name Bruce's boss "Mr. Braithwaite" - I mean, c'mon! Why couldn't he be called "Mr. Jones" or something that Bruce couldn't have pronounced easier?

GtrvVampyre
02-16-2005, 10:26 PM
my fav version has to be gtr vampire. seriously best tone, best melody lines, great organ solo, then a killer overdiven solo and then back to the catchy melody. its really impressive playing man.
Wow thanks alot man. I have to agree with yours being the most improved though. Every take is better and better man =P. I just wish i got so inspired about all the backingtracks or songs i hear. Dunno why i liked this one so much. Thanks again UKRuss for the awesome tracks :)

GtrvVampyre
02-16-2005, 10:28 PM
See UKRuss, i need to learn more about arpeggios cause i love that bit with the string skipping. That has to be the catchiest stint =P. Great job once again man =P.

UKRuss
02-16-2005, 10:33 PM
LOL, Zatz, Bruce was definitely a Dorian kind a guy:D

"Mr. Brayffway' " Lollllll.

UKRuss
02-16-2005, 10:42 PM
No problem for the tracks and stuff GtrVamp, I'm really enjoying myself!

The next one's gonna be a leeetle trickier but just as much fun!;)

While we're in the business of crediting I just have to pass my thanks on again to EricV for switching me on to the string skip arps!

But check out some of the articles on them here, David's recent one is excellent!

I also threw in a couple of major arps too in my piece, have a listen again. There is a bit where I play an ascending string skip arp based on the b3 and then more or less straight after that another one based on the 4th.

So from D minor that would be F maj arp and Gmaj arp.

Both work a treat over the minor chord.

Strange but nice eh?:D

Slaindude
02-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Hey guys great impros, ive got nothing bad to say! I don't know if i am gonna do this one neither the aeolian one cause i really dont think my playing's ready. I dont know how you guys do, but im not able to produce something good cause i just dont feel it. My improv are just runs and scales, no feel at all. I'm gonna practice more and more, but if you guys got any ideas on how to develop more my improv it would help me a lot.

satch_master
02-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Hey guys great impros, ive got nothing bad to say! I don't know if i am gonna do this one neither the aeolian one cause i really dont think my playing's ready. I dont know how you guys do, but im not able to produce something good cause i just dont feel it. My improv are just runs and scales, no feel at all. I'm gonna practice more and more, but if you guys got any ideas on how to develop more my improv it would help me a lot.
practice, need i say more, if your worried that your playing sucks so much that you r to ashamed to post here, do it anyway. if you wanna get better you should keep recording and posting , no matter how good or bad.

satch_master
02-17-2005, 12:12 AM
No problem for the tracks and stuff GtrVamp, I'm really enjoying myself!

The next one's gonna be a leeetle trickier but just as much fun!;)

While we're in the business of crediting I just have to pass my thanks on again to EricV for switching me on to the string skip arps!

But check out some of the articles on them here, David's recent one is excellent!

I also threw in a couple of major arps too in my piece, have a listen again. There is a bit where I play an ascending string skip arp based on the b3 and then more or less straight after that another one based on the 4th.

So from D minor that would be F maj arp and Gmaj arp.

Both work a treat over the minor chord.

Strange but nice eh?:D do you actually think about that when your playing. before you even recored the solo you thought about it or just the post solo stage where you analyse everything. personally when i play i dont think about theory and stuff i just play and hope it sounds ok.

Mateo150
02-17-2005, 01:25 AM
GtrVamp,

Heres the powertab for the opening bit, basically its a Dmin arp which skips the 2nd string ascending. The descending I just add in a couple of scale tones. And a little up bend and hold at the end!

Hey presto, instant hook!
Thanks for the hook, I really liked it and tried to figure it out, had most of it right. added a seventh as the 4th note instead of the 8th rest and a 6th note instead of the third to last note (the seventh).

If more people could do this, it would be cool. Just tab the main motif.

GtrvVampyre
02-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Hey guys great impros, ive got nothing bad to say! I don't know if i am gonna do this one neither the aeolian one cause i really dont think my playing's ready. I dont know how you guys do, but im not able to produce something good cause i just dont feel it. My improv are just runs and scales, no feel at all. I'm gonna practice more and more, but if you guys got any ideas on how to develop more my improv it would help me a lot. Well i didnt feel the ionian or the other one too (somthing about this one i liked). Not saying the ionian was bad but i guess it just wasnt my tea. Maby its the same for you. Besides all you need to know are scales. Just dont play the scales top to bottom over and over. Play different parts of it bends/slides. If your new to it and you know your scales you will catch on fast. Even if you dont think its good enough still attempt it and you can always post it so we all can give posotive input on what maby you need to work on or tips. :)

Los Boleros
02-17-2005, 01:52 AM
do you actually think about that when your playing. before you even recored the solo you thought about it or just the post solo stage where you analyse everything. personally when i play i dont think about theory and stuff i just play and hope it sounds ok.Theory is something you will spend the rest of your life on. It could be something that you have a name for, or something that there are no words for. Never the less, it is a theory. It is that I do this because of that. As you travel down the path of music, you will acquire much theory and it will be reachable in real time, But it may take some time. Any musician that is well known for good style has theories for why he/she makes the choices. Some people can explain it with words like Arps and Modes while others may say" I am following the Chords man". Some people just know that when they hear a certain sound, they can grabb the Whammy Bar and go ito convultions. What ever it is, you will spend your lifetime perfecting your own explainations for things and always learning new things. Using your theories in real time will someday (as long as you don't hang it up) switch on like a light bulb. Trust me on that. The only real questions is, how long will that take? That would only depend on how you spend your time listening to and thinking about music. If you can become very good at the most basic musical concepts, the rest will be alot easier.

btangel
02-17-2005, 04:45 AM
Alright here's my take on it. Recorded with my RG550 with a cheap PC mic. :rolleyes:

I had night to think about what to do with it so only took me 2 takes to get it. Other than the first section the rest I improv. Hopefully this is up to par. Enjoy! ;)

special thx to gtrvampyre for helping me get cakewalk working :D

UKRuss
02-17-2005, 08:58 AM
I'll check that out when i get home tonight btangel, glad you managed to sort your recording out!

@Slaindude. I think you should post something. That's what I'm trying to encourage here, keeping the mode basic and so you and anyone who wants to learn about the "sound" of a mode can pick it up.

Try thinking about it in terms of the C major scale, even just playing the C major scale up and down starting on the D rather than the C. You'll then begin to hear the flavour of Dorian over the Dm7.

From that you can start skipping around the scale tones and perhaps come up with a hook.

But Satch is right, keep posting. Don't worry about the quaility versus what you've already heard. I know we banter a bit about whose we like best etc. but really it isn't a competition, it's about learning.

Take your time, but do try to stay involved, I'm hoping your exactly ther kind of player this should be targeting. You're at that stage, the crossroads if you like, assimilate and move forward and take away the basic understanding of the mode.

If you want to PM or e-mail me to discuss I'm happy to help!

UKRuss
02-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Satch, yes I do think about the arpeggios as I'm playing, I'm really working on building an understanding of which arpeggios can be used over which type of chords and why, i.e. what's the theory?

In time it will become an intrinsic part of my playing and I probably won't think about it (but I will be thinking about something new) I'll just know that over minor chords major arpeggios based on certain scale tones will work, I'll see the notes and build the arpeggio from there.

Next stop: Augmented arpeggios over minor chords!:D

But, there are other areas of my playing where I used to think theory, but now I don't need to...it's kind of plugged in my brain.

I guess in terms of what Los B is saying, you are continuously building on your knowledge to expand the improvisational tools you have in your armoury.

I would think where you are with your playing this could become a crucial point for you. Because, thinking about your theory and inclusion of new stuff into your playing will reduce your dependance on sticking with the tools you currently use. They're no bad thing of course, but sometimes if you have more alternatives you might find a whole different area and style of playing opens up for you. Making us all more of musicians as well as guitarists. Think about Satriani! Yes, he plays stuff you like to emulate but he also knows music and could probably play in all sorts of different styles too.

As some wise man who has been quoted on here many times said, "Practice the things you can't play"...but really! When you practice, stop yourself from going into stuff you know you can play, theres no point in it. Only play stuff that's new and that you need to practice:D

UKRuss
02-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Ps, Mateo thanks.

Yeah, you get the idea. Use the arpeggio "bones" but add in scale tones of your own to embellish:D

All sorts of options begin to open up!

UKRuss
02-17-2005, 08:19 PM
btangel, some nice licks in there! I really like the rolling type licks you were doing at one point, nice.

One area of food for thought would be nailing your bends. If you're gonna go a half step, get up there and nail it! If you're going a whole step, get up there and nail it!

Cool stuff though, and I'm looking forward to hearing some more!

Barking Pumpkin
02-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Okay, I finally recorded mine. One clean and one dirty. I'll go through the topic and check out some of the others. I'm really having fun with these topics, I'll go post my Ionian now.

btangel
02-17-2005, 10:59 PM
btangel, some nice licks in there! I really like the rolling type licks you were doing at one point, nice.

One area of food for thought would be nailing your bends. If you're gonna go a half step, get up there and nail it! If you're going a whole step, get up there and nail it!

Cool stuff though, and I'm looking forward to hearing some more!
thx Russ :P yea I know what you mean. Sometimes I didn't get my finger on the string very well so I barely bent it up there. I'll improve on that in the future.

GtrvVampyre
02-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey BTangel, glad to see you got your recording stuff to work and got your take posted. Loved your take btw :). And i loved the hook too and also the same part UKRuss mentioned. Cant wait to hear more from ya . Hey barking, glad to see someone new is taking interest in these forums more and more everyday. Couple suggestions, you have great speed but in your clean solo it seems you may need to working on timing a bit with the picking action so it sounds cleaner. Trying to get that kinda speed and get it accurate is very hard though through a clean channel. Also some times your playing sounded a bit off from the backing track as in timing and tone here in there. Its great to go off on a ranting solo but be sure when you come back to the basic beat your still on time (can be hard sometimes not to come back in the middle of a beat or somthing) Besides that, great job and i'd like to hear more of your stuff posted.

Awesome job from both you guys and hope to hear more from you 2 =P.

satch_master
02-18-2005, 06:35 AM
barkin pumpkin,nice dirty but i think your playing too many notes. i can play as fast as you if not faster but its not necessary to shred the fretboard out in this scenario. so i reckon just slow it down a bit and let the music breathe(no pun intended). try more bending and sustain notes. just my 2 cents.

btangel
02-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Thx guys for enjoying my improv. I'll try to crank out something better next time. :D

barkin pumpkin,nice dirty but i think your playing too many notes. i can play as fast as you if not faster but its not necessary to shred the fretboard out in this scenario. so i reckon just slow it down a bit and let the music breathe(no pun intended). try more bending and sustain notes. just my 2 cents.

I second that opinion. Barkin, you definately have some skills technique wise. But note choices aren't doing much in terms of contrasting with the backing track. Basically the solo and the backing track aren't communicating very well. Sounds like two entities doing it's own thing in the music, instead of working together.

BUT! Since you have the technique you're in a great position to improve. Try figuring out some catchy licks and rifts that go well with the song. A way to do that is to figure out the chord progression being played and figure out which notes harmonize or "ring" well with the progression. CAGED works very well in figuring out these things. If you don't know what that is I could explain it. There's endless possibilities! So experiment! :) good luck!

UKRuss
02-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Actually guys, I think Barking Pumpkin is a veteran from the thread that made me kick off the the "Strickly" series...the "Breathe" backing track.

Good to see you back Barkin'. I'll check your post later and your Ionian if you've posted one.

I now have two ideas for the next installment:

First, the obvious next in the series, "Strickly Phrygian"

The second is a piece which will blend Phrygian Dominant possibilities with Mixolydian. Just thought we might crank it up to the next level and show a slightly more exotic scale and a change of modes during the piece. To brush up on Phrygian Dominant refer to Jorge Maldonado's articles on exotic scales part 3.

Any thoughts?

Ps, Doing this is really making me focus on my transcription skills too, something I've always been scared of. So thank you for that guys! I would encourage all of you to have a go at powertab and try to notate your hooks and licks. It helps.

NP: Greg Howe: Introspection
NPDVD: Satriani live in San Francisco

Hugowin
02-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Hope I'm not to late with my pathetic try! I messed up one part pretty badly :S

Thanks alot UKruss for these threads, they have been fun to follow!

Until now I didn't dare to try :S Cause' I don't know much about modes and the theory behind them. But I have learned alot from these threads!
My attempt might have alot of outside playing :P I don't really know what I was doing I tried what you said to start on the D in the C major scale.

When it comes to improvising I have since I started tried to listen to chords and find notes that fit into those chords, and by memorising how they sound I could use certain notes(scales) over certain chords. But when other guitarists asked me what I was doing I just couldn't explain it with words :P "Hey what scale do you use??" "Sorry I don't know the name of it" lol :P

I'll give the other Strickly threads a try if they aren't dead and it's to late? :P

Barking Pumpkin
02-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Okay.....I haven't really gotten into modal improvisation much yet. With my lessons I'm in the processing of learning all the various seventh chords and things. So when I did this I was thinking that Dorian should be something different and not sound like the pentatonic scale. Then I listened to some of the other jams and noticed that that's how they used it. So I guess I need to let the feel of the backing track dictate the feel of the solo more.

So here are my two redone clean and dirty jams.

UKRuss
02-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Good stuff guys, definite Dorian flavourings going on there. I like the trills Hugowin...maybe a bit more confidence with those bends?

Barkin' nice stuff, liked the dirty version better the dynamics were better, getting a little too much picking attack on that clean version for me. Now, work yourslef out soe standard licks and focus on your phrasing and your going off!

UKRuss
02-18-2005, 07:24 PM
ps. Hugowin, now you can tell 'em! Dorian mode!:D

Hugowin
02-18-2005, 07:35 PM
thanks Russ :D yeah I know the bends wore totally wrong :S I kinda messed up the clean to distortion part and forgot what I was doing!
I will practice my bending in improvisation alot more because they just don't feel natural to do.

Can't wait for the Phrygian :D

MattW
02-18-2005, 11:01 PM
I hope I haven't come into this one too late, but here is my attempt anyway. It's fairly rough, a few mistakes. Not too happy with it, had to do a second take for the repeated melody at the end (messed it up!).
Anyway, Be nice.:p

(Ahh, noticed the file limit!):D

SeattleRuss
02-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Nice solo MattW!

Some of your legato and whammy-inflected hammer-ons and pull-offs remind me of a certain lad from Yorkshire.... :D

satch_master
02-19-2005, 02:38 AM
mattw that was cool. a bit louder next time but plx. i like your style very unique and your tone is well different. barkin poumpkin, i didnt mind your solo, better than last time, thats for sure. i find your playing quite sloppy and your solos dont always flow with the music if you know what i mean. but keep at it and youll get there. for a beginner your playing is getting good.

MattW
02-19-2005, 03:27 AM
Nice solo MattW!

Some of your legato and whammy-inflected hammer-ons and pull-offs remind me of a certain lad from Yorkshire.... :D Thanks! You could say that I quite like that ale drinking guy from up North, but I need to get the mannerisms out of my system.:D

Cheers Satch, I usually put myself lower in the mix, I hate hearing myself playing, lol.

btangel
02-19-2005, 08:09 AM
cool stuff mattw ;) real soulful licks there.

UKRuss
02-19-2005, 08:11 AM
OOoooooo, that's nice MattW.

Great tone and some lovely legato delivery, great to hear that. Some nice phrasing in the middle part really holding the interest.

Tidy work for a northerner ;) :D :D

Mcbane
02-19-2005, 02:22 PM
here's my shot at it, hope you like it. Think i've prolly used a few non-dorian things and also its got a few cock ups

Hugowin
02-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Awesome playing MattW!
I love your tone and phrasing :D

Cool playing Mcbane! Nice distortion tone and sound :D

I tried again cause' I felt I pushed myself to hard last time and was probly to tense.
Recorded somewhere between my legato/left hand excercises and alternate pickin' :rolleyes:

Bizarro
02-19-2005, 04:07 PM
MattW, nice job! Great playing w/ a nice sense of melody, tone, and phrasing. Obviously you've got great chops, and I like how you stay "in the pocket".

UKRuss, you need an MVP award or something. These "strickly" threads are great! :)

Mcbane
02-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Cheers hugoWin, funny you should mention the tone as it was recorded using a crappy pc mic and I was using the first guitar at hand which was my squire strat.

MattW
02-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the comments (Good or bad)!:D
I'm not entirely sure what staying 'In the pocket is' though.:p
Are there any obvious things that sound like they need improving? An impartial ear is often the best thing to judge. There was a bit of extraneous noise on occassions that I will work on eliminating for the time being.

HugoWin, I think you really captured the essence of the Dorian mode, especially in the intro and outro. Good Work:D

Hugowin
02-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks MattW :)
Just keep playing like your doing and you will improve cause' it's already very stylish and beautiful. I Can't really tell you any way to improve cause' I've only been playing for a year!

McBane by tone I mean the way you play ;P I also used a crappy Pc mic and played on a strat :P

Mcbane
02-19-2005, 05:43 PM
cool hugoWin, yeah wasn't sure, had a hunch you meant that, but wasn't sure, so many ppl confuse the two.

UKRuss
02-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Matt, ignore the Notherner jibe I'm actually from Durham originally anyway...but I suppose a soft southerner now really.:D

Your take was awesome, I think Bizarro's reference is perhaps just that your staying "strikcly" within the scale and as such adhereing to the rules of the game but at the same time coming up with some real free flowing sounding improv.

I have no comment on your take other than...If you get time tab out somne of the stuff there sure is some licks I could do with stealing!!:D

Hugowin, much better dude. Proper Dorian flow better bends!

McBane you've confused me!! I can't make up my mind if you are a beginner or a veteran...

Your theoretical knowledge of what your going to do is clearly very good, advanced even and I really liked some of the stuff you were doing, great melody!

But at the same time your technique seemed somehow to let you down, do you know what I'm talking about? And if you do whats the reason? I'm intrigued:confused:

And thanks for the kind words Bizarro, I'm really enjoying myself and I hope everyone else is learning and enjoying too!

mattblack850
02-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Matt, ignore the Notherner jibe I'm actually from Durham originally anyway...but I suppose a soft southerner now really.:D
Oh, so a Northern INFILL TRAITOR!!!!!!

Should have caught up with all my versions by the end of this week!!

An absolutely outstanding job by everyone again!
Although I haven't managed to post anything yet, you guys have no idea how inspiring and entertaining these threads have been!

Mcbane
02-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Yeah, UK russ i know exactly what your talking about, i've been playing about 3 years neither a veteran nor a begginer i spose. I'm pretty sloppy in general with my playing. Also if you saw the action of the guitar i was using to record the clip you'd laugh, I mite record somthing again with another guitar. Hopefully that clears some of that up. Also for some reason i kinda skipped the whole pentatonic stage o improvising and went straight into scales, appegios that kinda stuff, and on top of that 2 of the licks in that solo came from steve vai's solo on david lee roth's ladies nite in buffalo.

UKRuss
02-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey really?

I love that track...well I love the whole album. I'll check that out again!

I like your stuff McBane it'll be good to hear some more as we go onwards!

get your Phrygian practicing shoes on, we're going there next!

How do Matt! Thought about you today as I was strumming a few custom teles in my local guitar shop, theres a luthier out the back and he's got some crazy custom axes....some nice stuff! If you've got a spoare grand you could land an awesome custom tele he's built.

An, don't worry about the northern thing! I can talk posh and everything, you'd never know:D

Mcbane
02-19-2005, 07:05 PM
well heres another shot at it, its still pretty sloppy in places tho :(

MattW
02-19-2005, 07:32 PM
HugoWin, you've progressed pretty fast in a year! Keep it up!

UKRuss, no worries you southern softie!:p Ahhh so that's what 'In the pocket' meant, I normally have a tendancy to play outside a fair bit (no, not like in the garden;)) and it was refreshing trying to do it purely within the scale (Let's not mention the b5, Shhh!). I still dislike the way I play and hate hearing myself recorded but I suppose that is what drives me to practice.
"How do!" lol, Northerner at heart.:p Oooh, custom Teles! If only I had a grand...
I've never tried tabbing myself before, are there any particular bits that were less worse that you might like? (I'll try and get round to it if I can)

UKRuss
02-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Thats gonna get confusing...2 Matts with a love of the tele!!:D

McBane...strange to say probably but I liked your first take better, somehow it was more free and sounded improvised. All good stuff though.

mattblack850
02-20-2005, 12:59 PM
An, don't worry about the northern thing! I can talk posh and everything, you'd never know:D
You can't be a proper Norv'ner if you can talk posh!!!!

mattblack850
02-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Thats gonna get confusing...2 Matts with a love of the tele!!:D

My real names Neil, Mattblack850 is the colour and size of my chopper!!:D :D

GtrvVampyre
02-21-2005, 02:55 AM
eagerly awaits phyrgian and warms up his diminshed arpeggios and harmonic runs just in case.

btangel
02-21-2005, 07:54 AM
eagerly awaits phyrgian and warms up his diminshed arpeggios and harmonic runs just in case.
YEA! BRING IT ON! >:D

UKRuss
02-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Coloured choppers? Harmonic Runs? Diminished Arpeggios?

None of which sound..."Strickly (sound...@strickly) Phrygian" to me...

Still, it can be done but you must remember to highlight the areas where you are not playing Phrygian and explain what it is you are doing.

It would have been up last night actually but I have corrupt flashcard trouble...maybe this evening!

GtrvVampyre
02-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Yeah with this one i will prbably go out a bit but cmon! I'v been so strict with the others not to go outside of the mode X.X. Of course if i do go out i will explain. At the end of all the modes will we do Harmonic Minor and stuff like that too. I know we arnt gonna go through ALL the scales cause there are some pretty wierd ones but do you plan to go through some exotic stuff though? Not as exotic as "Mela Vagadhisvari" of course but you know.

Sir Speedy
02-22-2005, 05:11 AM
Not as exotic as "Mela Vagadhisvari" of course but you know.
That sounds like a rare earth metal , or something ??:cool:
It has a ring to it , "I'm going on Vacation to "Mela Varadhisvari" Just got ticket's.:D

Awsome tracks ,guy's ,very inspiring .
________
Live Sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

GtrvVampyre
02-22-2005, 05:19 AM
I would never had known it existed was it not for http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html
Seriously, any scale imaginable is on there. I dont know how they have half the stuff they do. Lol your right though. On that site though theres about 30 of those mela scales.

mattblack850
02-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Oooh Bugger,:mad:

there was I hoping to add all my efforts to all the 'Strickly' series, when what goes and happens on Sunday night?
I'm helping a mate after an acoustic jam session in his local pub, carrying a speaker out to his van when he decides to trip me over from behind, (accidentaly, of course :p ), so being the proper Roadie that I am, I don't want to be damaging the gear, right? I decide to go A-over-T down the front steps and break my fall with the right side of my face and right arm!!!
My right eye is completely swollen shut and I have a very, very badly sprained right wrist, so, no playing for at least 3 weeks!!:( :(
Hey ho, it'll give me time to catch up with reading some more theory I suppose!!

mattblack850
02-22-2005, 11:50 AM
How do Matt! Thought about you today as I was strumming a few custom teles in my local guitar shop, theres a luthier out the back and he's got some crazy custom axes....some nice stuff! If you've got a spoare grand you could land an awesome custom tele he's built.
My next 'Special' is hopefully going to be a Warmoth bodied 'Thinline', but probably not 'til a bit later this year!!

GtrvVampyre
02-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Omg dude. That is awful x.x. I know how you feel though (kinda). I blew up my hand once and had 2/3rd degree burns on my right hand and part of my wrist so i was bandaged up for a long time and couldnt really play. I just moved my whole arm and elbow to pick while i had the bandages and couldnt move my wrist. It really sucked. I hope you get better soon man. True though you could still study theory and stuff but still its just not the same x.x.

mattblack850
02-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Cheers GV, luckily my left hand is still OK so at least I can be practicing stuff with my fretting hand!!:D :D

Still sucks though!:(
Best news is that the Fender Bassman I saved still works, I think he owes me one for that!!:)

Mateo150
02-22-2005, 06:51 PM
drinks on him for a while hey...

sometimes these playing breaks are blessings in disguise, you'll have to learn theory, ear train, go to shows, and so on. One bit is all i'll add, transcribe all the songs you want to play or can already play onto sheetmusic or powertab. I have a memory problem, I forget songs really quickly and easily if I don't play them periodically. So I have all the songs I know on sheet so I can quickly relearn them. This sort of this goes a long way for the non-physical part of playing.

rmuscat
02-22-2005, 11:12 PM
after around 200 takes in total spread over 2/3 days (LOL does it not sound pathetic?) i managed to come up with some clean playing (relatively) just in time for Mega-Phrygian .... There's no reason why it took me so long (like i was coming up with something special lol) ... i couldn't get one damn take right :mad:

a bit of time freakiness in the backing track ... but was ok - my timing sucks by itself. not much structure (too many licks) ... much less breathing space than i hoped ... i liked the start. I barely utilised any arpeggios except at one point (just Dm) - i believe it was at the rests. Lots of bends between the semitones - i like doing that (too much maybe).

the double stops in the beginning (and end) are ...
C + F (C and a 4)
C + E (C and a 3)
C + D (C and a 2)

if anyone has names for them please let me know ... i guess if C5 is a C plus a 5th ... then they're called something like C4, C3 and C2? or this doesn't exists? would be good to know.

oh and at the very very end i put in a Ab (b5) ... well i didn't put it in the guitar did.

strickly speaking it has no educational value lol.

thanks to mr. joe satriani for bringing my mood for guitar back up and russ for kicking my butt to work :D

(oops usual monologue...)

Sir Speedy
02-23-2005, 06:48 AM
after around 200 takes in total spread over 2/3 days (LOL does it not sound pathetic?) i managed to come up with some clean playing (relatively) just in time for Mega-Phrygian .... There's no reason why it took me so long (like i was coming up with something special lol) ... i couldn't get one damn take right :mad:

a bit of time freakiness in the backing track ... but was ok - my timing sucks by itself. not much structure (too many licks) ... much less breathing space than i hoped ... i liked the start. I barely utilised any arpeggios except at one point (just Dm) - i believe it was at the rests. Lots of bends between the semitones - i like doing that (too much maybe).

C + F (C and a 4)
C + E (C and a 3)
C + D (C and a 2)

if anyone has names for them please let me know ... i guess if C5 is a C plus a 5th ... then they're called something like C4, C3 and C2? or this doesn't exists? would be good to know.

oh and at the very very end i put in a Ab (b5) ... well i didn't put it in the guitar did.

thanks to mr. joe satriani for bringing my mood for guitar back up and russ for kicking my butt to work :D

Nice note choice :cool: How did you get such a good tone , was that Direct ?
________
HARMED BY ZOLOFT (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

rmuscat
02-23-2005, 07:58 AM
tone - fingers :p :eek:

effects - guitarport ... i'm not an effects freak (in fact i hate setting effects) so it saves my butt for now. I have to get this effect issue out of my way if intend to ever get a decent sound.

NP Surfing with an alien - JS

ashc
02-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Rob, great job - worth all the takes, great lines and nice tone.

I wish I'd put more time into my effort - I worked out one little riff for the first 20 secs and then "winged" the rest in 2 takes, As I'm obviously not Jeff Beck the result was not good - so I learn't that 2 takes is not enough for me and I have work to do - but not much else. For you, by taking time you not only got a good result you no doubt got some improvement out of it - and that is the point, right?

satch_master
02-23-2005, 09:48 AM
goddam! 200 takes and 2 - 3 days. if i dont get something first time i get pissed off at myself( even though i usually need at least 2-3 takes). cuase if your playing live you only get 1 shot and if you bodgy up your gonna look stupid. but nice recording. try and nail it in less time , please for your own wellbeing.

rmuscat
02-23-2005, 09:49 AM
AshC thanks man you're so kind ...

thing is that over those neverending amount of takes it just forged itself into a general structure, since i was keeping track of relatively good recordings i could extract some good parts and learn them etc ... first take has nothing to do with the last. My playing got a bit better for the track as well (thats a good thing). I really think it is possible to do it with MUCH MUCH less IF some thinking and planning is done beforehand ... possibly even without a guitar (discipline?).

All those takes are probably good for practice purposes ... but i don't think anyone should aim for that amount. Less trial and error and more thinking/feel i presume.

oh btw it did rip my moral big time.

@satch: you're right if i were live i would have been in trouble. I keep that in mind too. having said that ... if i'm not happy with what i do, i don't really care if people like it or not ... or if they think i suck or not. AT least i have to be happy with what i do ... if people like it ... thats an added bonus. also live i wouldn't play something like that - i try to push my limits when i practice - live i'd go with my trusty "One Solo fits all progressions"

phantom
02-23-2005, 10:07 AM
if i dont get something first time i get pissed off at myself( even though i usually need at least 2-3 takes)

repetition is the key to successful practicing. you know that satch don't you.

as we are in no hurry here, and we don't have to record the next britney spears album, i suggest to do as many takes as it needs to be satisfied with the result.
this thing is for learning and you will definately learn more if you have as many tries as possible.
record - listen - judge - decide what went good and what went wrong - get rid of the "wrongs" by doing it over and over again.
one thing that made my playing drasticly cleaner, tighter and more interessting ins doing hundreds of takes while homerecording.
being careful with every detail will sharpen your ears and your playing.

ashc
02-23-2005, 10:09 AM
But, don't forget a lot of "pro guitarists" don't sound all that great on out of the box improv all the time. . . I've heard some live stuff from some highly rated guitarists where they've definitely temporarily lost the plot...after straying from the recorded solo into something more improv.

But, yes if you have a mental plan you can save a lot of takes, my Ionian thing went better than the dorian thing in the same amount of takes because I had thought about it before touching the guitar.

Insert usual, ignore me I'm s**t anyway disclaimer...

UKRuss
02-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Well, I liked it fine Bobmeister! Good job sah!

Absolutely right to take your time. If you ain't happy with it, you gotta practice and make it right.:D

Great NP btw, the man at his best IMHO.

Mateo150
02-26-2005, 10:56 PM
I got my guitar electric guitar refretted and finally got it back about 3 days ago. Didn't want to attempt this with an unplugged acoustic. I got some questions/powertab requests for ya Russ, but here's something to get an Idea of where I'm coming from. Thanks for the backing and the help, sorry for butchering your opening.

Edit: forgot the explanation part... stole Russ's opening, best part of the song. Rest is mine, mostly minor pentatonic stuff, used the 2nd and flat five a lot, a wrap around on the flat third or seventh for resolution sometimes. Wish it was a longer backing track, one more section would have been nice to break out a little more of the Stash of tricks so to say ;) ... Could of went a different way on the last section, but I think a melodic part like that really helps move the music. Last part has a minor sixth in there, in the intro/outro phrases, familar to some of you I'm sure :p

Mateo150
02-26-2005, 11:26 PM

C + F (C and a 4)
C + E (C and a 3)
C + D (C and a 2)

How did you get that tone at about the 1:20 sec mark?
It sounds cool

UKRuss
02-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the quote with the opening Mateo, good stuff. I bet your glad to have that geetar back in your hands!

I liked your take, had some nice ideas in there!

UKRuss
02-27-2005, 09:18 AM
Heres an idea of a funk type chop I employed plus a chromatic style run that I use from time to time. I attach my version of the Josie song from the other thread as it has relevance to both these powertabs.

Hope you can get summat form these.

Sir Speedy
03-03-2005, 09:18 AM
well guy's i've been following this thread , and it's quite inspiring .

i made a track . The tone is not great , i have to get me one of those Line 6 Guitar Port , direct Boxes , to get that Full bodied sound .This tone is kind of slim.. . Gotta get a new reed for my horn :cool:

i'll post it any way

i'm using 6th, 5th, and 3ed intervals from dorian, here and there in this clip, D minor Pentatonic Blues (1 b3 4 b5 [nat]5 b7) , and a D minor 7th arpeggio.
________
Nichosexy cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Nichosexy)

UKRuss
03-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Nice one Sir Speedy, I'll check that out when I get home this evening!

UKRuss
03-03-2005, 07:58 PM
I nice mix of techniques and stuff in there Sir Speedy, you worked round a simple set of scale rules you imposed on yourself for the piece and you then had to keep reworking the techniques to create the improv., that really came through.

I didn't think the tone was too bad considering the recording techniques we have to use.

Neck pick up as well? I think it's funny, we all had the same idea on that front I think.

Dorian seems to kinda equal neck pick up! :D

UKRuss
04-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Another proxy post on behalf of MattBlack 850!

A Strickly Dorian take this time. I like this one, niiiice flavour!

Enjoy!

EricV
04-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Making up for it, Russ, making up for it... 2 beers later, found the "wacky auto-wah-like sound" ( consider it a hats-off to Bizarro...or Buckethead ), hereīs the Dorian jam...

Eric

UKRuss
04-09-2005, 07:39 AM
LOL! now that it is one crazy sound!!!!

Cheers Eric, fun stuff, that beer is sure working it's magic!:D

Mateo150
04-09-2005, 04:39 PM
LOVE THAT INTRO ERIC... OMG, were you drinking Red Dog beer? bow wow wow wow wow.... grrrr..... Made me crack me. I had to start the clip over cuz I was laughing so hard. Really nice to hear your takes...

EricV
04-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Mateo,

Thanks a bunch... glad you liked it ( or found it to be amusing =) )
That effect I used is kinda cool... reminds me of a talk-box, or some of those sounds Buckethead likes to use
Eric

steve0192
05-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Here you go...

Let me know what you think.

Regards

Steve

UKRuss
05-16-2005, 08:43 PM
A true improvisation there Steve, again nice bends and a ncie Dorian flavour.

Mateo150
05-17-2005, 02:15 AM
Like your playing Steve, fantastic tone, good guitar sound, and great bends. Would have like to hear more of those sweet bends rather than the shred, but thats just taste.... the bends hit my spine a bit more.

steve0192
05-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Like your playing Steve, fantastic tone, good guitar sound, and great bends. Would have like to hear more of those sweet bends rather than the shred, but thats just taste.... the bends hit my spine a bit more.

Thanks Russ and Mateo.

Mateo, I'll bare you comments in mind. I have my eye on the slow phrygian one next. I listened to it last night, but havent tried to play anything against it yet. Let's see how that develops.. :-)

Regards

Steve

mattblack850
05-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Whoa, Steve, great stuff dude!!! Love the tone and those bends!!

Factor
06-03-2005, 03:45 PM
At long last, I bought myself some cables and recorded this.

Just ignore the hissing at the start

Any comments whatsoever appreciated!

Apple-Joe
06-03-2005, 08:20 PM
At long last, I bought myself some cables and recorded this.

Just ignore the hissing at the start

Any comments whatsoever appreciated!

Listening to it right now. When you say it, I can hear the jazz style you mentioned. Very clean, melodic and nice. Timing is on, the Dorian atmosphere is there.

I have been browsing through the IBreatheForums for a while, and seen a couple of your posts, and you write good, so I feel a little strange 'judging' your music now, but I am just commenting. That's always an interesting job, and I suppose people want feedback anyway.

Well, back to the song. Wow. 00:20 - 00:25, I really liked what was going on there. The song got an impressive 'flow', it's very fluent. It's very satisfying to the ear, opposed to many of the attempts where people tend to play X notes / second sloppily and slightly out of tune.

Factor
06-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the praise! I appreciate the feedback - I really do. That is why I posted these clips.

Hehe I too liked the part from 00:20-00:25, might just have to tab it out ;)

UKRuss
06-04-2005, 09:11 AM
For me....just kinda lost it's way at the end there a bit.

But YES PLEASE Tab out the part from 0.20 but extend to 0.28 please, love that line veeeeeery nice.

Good stuff Factor!

Factor
06-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Wow!

Yeah I agree that I kinda fell back on noodling there towards the end.

Here's the lick by the way. I think it is how I played it, but I botched it towards the end. You get the idea anyway. ;)

MattW
06-04-2005, 01:51 PM
I replaced the strings on my guitar today and for some reason decided to record a widdly widdly take on this, I shall upload it in a bit. It is in a very much different style to my last take, and due to the complete lack of taste also not as good. I don't usually play like this, but you know how it is, every now and then you just have to get the widdly widdlyness out of your system.;)

@Factor, Cool take, tastefully done. I'm not normally a big fan of standard clean jazz type tones but it did sound good, although it did sound a bit buzzy in places, is your action very low? It's good that you didn't take a linear approach too, playing melodically as opposed to running up and down a scale, but still used scale fragments where it was appropriate. All round good take!:cool:

Factor
06-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks for listening.

Yeah well I play this on an acoustic steelstring, Martin, with 012 flatwound strings. The string buzz is because I strike it harder than the guitar will allow :p

I'm planning to get an electric soon though. Want to bend a bit more, which is nigh impossible with this guitar.

MattW
06-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Ahhh, it does sound like an acoustic now you mention it! I can imagine bending 12s on that might pose a bit of a problem.;)

Factor
06-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Yup :)

Still waiting for that clip of yours Matt! Anxious to hear

MattW
06-04-2005, 02:24 PM
It'll be a while yet ;) technically I'm revising for exams which start on tuesday, when I take a proper break (as opposed to the half arsed time wasting I'm so good at) I'll mix it and export it, there is a mysterious buzzing that started half way through, if I can't get rid of it I'll probably do another take anyway. Gimme a couple of hours, I guarantee it wont be worth the wait lol.

Maarten
06-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Since I did a mixo and lydian one as well, I also took a shot at this one. The sound quality on all of them is not very good, but I'm glad I've finally found a way to record direct in without horrible latency problems, and instead of wasting my time why not record some strickly's eh? Enjoy.

Apple-Joe
06-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Interesting bass approach. Great intro, and I liked the rhythmic parts which occurs when the backing track stops for a second or two. It also sounds like you are able to bring on the Dorian flavour.

The ending was also great, without the backing track.

MattW
06-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Well, here is the new completely tasteless mess..
I feel embaressed to post something so pointlessly widdly so I'll include my old slightly more thoughtful take to try to keep things musical incase people think I am a fool.;)

Here (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2560) is the old one which at least has some musical merit.

The new rather pointless widdlefest is included below, comments are still appreciated, if there is any technique I am obviously messing up consistently or if something sounds sloppy then please tell me, I'm not a very good judge of myself (except I know that this one was a bit silly) but be nice and bear in mind I was just testing out some new strings and was messing about with no intention of a composed lead, well that's my excuse anyway.:p There! Got it out of my system...:D

Edit: I've over dubbed the intro because the buzzing was really getting on my nerves and a bit later on when my amp made a 'Pop' noise, which worried me somewhat..

UKRuss
06-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Well, I enjoyed both takes, some nice trem effects in the first one and some nice speedy licks in the second.

My only comment on the second is perhaps a very closed tone and too much reverb fugging the sound, but my headphones a re****e too so it might be bot of that as well.

All in all though, very nice!:D

Apple-Joe
06-04-2005, 11:03 PM
MattW, I just listened to your first take, and it sounded great. I admire your technique, I heard a couple of fast passages in there.

Now I am listening to the 2nd take, and it's even worse (read: better!). Especially when it comes to the fast playing. It sounds tight.

I'm quite sure I hear a vibrato bar-touch from time to time to.

This was really great.

MattW
06-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks! I wasn't expecting any positive comments! I didn't like the tone at all on the second one either, I think that's why I chose to hide a bit under the reverb. The tone I usually use is more like on the first take.
On reflection I think one thing I definately need to work on is my groove and general timing which was a bit off, I'm hoping that is something to do with re-analysing my technique and changing to completely floating picking over the last few weeks and will be something I get used to (I hope!).
Also, I've decided my vibrato sounds weak in places and needs more authority (for lack of a better word). I better get working on those things then!

UKRuss
06-06-2005, 01:54 PM
We are our own worst critics!

But the areas you mention probably apply equally to every player I know so I shall get working on those too!:D

Los Boleros
06-07-2005, 01:42 AM
I have been called the Rude-Meister. I think this solo is pretty Rude.

It includes D Aeolian over the i and D Dorian over the IV7. Some diminished stuff and some cromatic stuff.

Ragman
06-07-2005, 10:23 AM
ok so i turned down the volumes of the tracks so there isnt so much distortion, i used the backing track and improved this little solo thing here.

lemme know what you think

why must cooledit put in bells!! i messed up a lot too. too bad the bells didnt cover those up. heh.

Ragman
06-07-2005, 10:36 AM
i love that second one MattW, i wish i could sweep like that!

i just recorded this one, pretty random stuff i guess, i just hit notes

id really like to know what people think of it, i think its pretty neat, i didnt even know what i did till after i listened to it, hah.

NO BELLS! WOO!

Mateo150
06-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey Rudy, wanna be a good nice guy and tab out that favorite lick of yours you do at around 1:22
You started off your latin music strictly with that as well, I hear it a lot in your play. Maybe it'll translate to a normal guitar, maybe not.

Los Boleros
06-08-2005, 04:19 AM
Hey Rudy, wanna be a good nice guy and tab out that favorite lick of yours you do at around 1:22
You started off your latin music strictly with that as well, I hear it a lot in your play. Maybe it'll translate to a normal guitar, maybe not.No problem, Its a cromatic lick that revolves around the b5,5,b6 of a minor key.

Rudy's Cromatic lick in Dm
|---5-6-5-6-5------5-6-5-6-5------5-------
|---------------9---------------9----------
|------------------------------------------
|-------------------------------------------This was also the lick that I started off in my take of Strickly melody. That one was in Am.

Apple-Joe
06-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Do I have an issue, or is it quite hard to come up with a decent piece of music using the Dorian mode? I looped the Dorian backing track and played for quite some time tonight, without coming up with something I want to record. I mostly just went with the flow, and improvised, but even when I slowed down, and focused on the correct notes, I had problems making it sound good.

After a while, I just got tired of the whole thing, and didn't want to play anymore. I got especially tired of the Dorian mood.

Anyone who has been 'there'?

I listened to a couple of the tracks. Russ' track had the Dorian sound. EricVandenberg's was a great recording providing great technique, and a special tone, but I didn't hear the natural 6th note that much or did I hear wrong?

Los Boleros
06-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Anyone who has been 'there'? ?I think you need to start out by copying someones elses dorian licks. Try mimicking others. That dorian sound will come to you. Its pretty simple.

UKRuss
06-19-2005, 08:01 AM
I have been called the Rude-Meister. I think this solo is pretty Rude.

It includes D Aeolian over the i and D Dorian over the IV7. Some diminished stuff and some cromatic stuff.

tasty stuff the rudemeister!

i love that!:D:D

UKRuss
06-19-2005, 08:04 AM

id really like to know what people think of it, i think its pretty neat, i didnt even know what i did till after i listened to it, hah.

NO BELLS! WOO!

Not unpleasant, but a great way to improve you phrasing and technique would be to lose al the effects and try some clean takes. I think it'll highlight the areas in technique that need work.

UKRuss
06-19-2005, 08:06 AM
Do I have an issue, or is it quite hard to come up with a decent piece of music using the Dorian mode? I looped the Dorian backing track and played for quite some time tonight, without coming up with something I want to record. I mostly just went with the flow, and improvised, but even when I slowed down, and focused on the correct notes, I had problems making it sound good.

After a while, I just got tired of the whole thing, and didn't want to play anymore. I got especially tired of the Dorian mood.

Anyone who has been 'there'?

I listened to a couple of the tracks. Russ' track had the Dorian sound. EricVandenberg's was a great recording providing great technique, and a special tone, but I didn't hear the natural 6th note that much or did I hear wrong?

Ditto to Los B really, listen to lot's of Dorian stuff and then feel your way into it, once you've got the sound in your head it's pretty hard to get away from it.

Apple-Joe
06-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Ditto to Los B really, listen to lot's of Dorian stuff and then feel your way into it, once you've got the sound in your head it's pretty hard to get away from it.

Can you, honestly, say that if it was up to you, you'd rather improvise using the Dorian mode instead of the Aeolian mode?

After listening to your strictly Dorian recording I wouldn't see any reasons why you should avoid using the Dorian mode, but now I am just wondering what you prefer.

Apple-Joe
06-19-2005, 09:45 PM

NO BELLS! WOO!

I think you should be quite happy with your own technique. This was an interesting recording. I liked the tone, I like the playing, and also the note choice (after listening a second time I realized that you actually hit the note characteristic for Dorian several times). To me it seemed like even if you got your technique in shape, you seem to carry a feeling in your playing.

A few seconds ago the Funksolo song started. It helps emphasizing the impression, really. I like the faster parts. What's your technique for faster runs? You focus most on legato style or strict alternate picking? How do you tend to move up the neck (or do you play in more vertival shapes)?

Los Boleros
06-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Can you, honestly, say that if it was up to you, you'd rather improvise using the Dorian mode instead of the Aeolian mode?

After listening to your strictly Dorian recording I wouldn't see any reasons why you should avoid using the Dorian mode, but now I am just wondering what you prefer.I like using both. In fact, i preffer to use both to give me more to chose from. Over the i chord, you really have a choice and can use either Dorian or Aeolian mode. Over the IV7 chord, Dorian makes more sense.

UKRuss
06-20-2005, 11:12 AM
I like using both. In fact, i preffer to use both to give me more to chose from. Over the i chord, you really have a choice and can use either Dorian or Aeolian mode. Over the IV7 chord, Dorian makes more sense.

Agreed, horses for courses really. I don't know if I have a preference rather simply use the scale that fits the bill at the time.

Aeolian all day long is a touch boring IMO always pays to spice it with some HM and the like.

On the other hand the strictlies were of course to purely demonstrate a mode so we stayed "strict" in the application.

Ben
06-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi there, this is my first strikly post. I have been playing about 3 years although only the last year or so seriously since taking A level music. I mainly play blues but trying my hand at jazz at the minute in the school's jazz band.
As for this piece I think there are a few good ideas. It wasn't meant to be jazzy but kinda ended up that way. I am pretty pleased but annoyed with myself as there are a few dodgey mistakes such as not quite reaching where i wanted to bend to and not muting strings properly at the beginning. I was going to re-record but that defeats the object of improvising it lol. Sorry for babbling along....any help would be appreciated.

Apple-Joe
06-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi there, this is my first strikly post. I have been playing about 3 years although only the last year or so seriously since taking A level music. I mainly play blues but trying my hand at jazz at the minute in the school's jazz band.
As for this piece I think there are a few good ideas. It wasn't meant to be jazzy but kinda ended up that way. I am pretty pleased but annoyed with myself as there are a few dodgey mistakes such as not quite reaching where i wanted to bend to and not muting strings properly at the beginning. I was going to re-record but that defeats the object of improvising it lol. Sorry for babbling along....any help would be appreciated.

I spent a few hours practicing the Dorian mode today, using the backing track found in this thread. I also used a clean sounding tone, so I was a little surprised when I heard your attempt at the Dorian take. Your style sounded quite a bit like mine, but your playing had more direction and it sounded like you knew what you were doing. In addition, you seemed to focus on rhythm - not only the note choice - and I like that. Rhythm is important.

Finally, I want to add that I liked the very beginning. It grabbed the attention somehow. I am not sure what you did, but could it be that you played a few special notes? Notes derived from DORIAN, but notes that might have been "outside notes", when compared to the Dm chord?

Ben
06-25-2005, 07:07 PM
I spent a few hours practicing the Dorian mode today, using the backing track found in this thread. I also used a clean sounding tone, so I was a little surprised when I heard your attempt at the Dorian take. Your style sounded quite a bit like mine, but your playing had more direction and it sounded like you knew what you were doing. In addition, you seemed to focus on rhythm - not only the note choice - and I like that. Rhythm is important.

Finally, I want to add that I liked the very beginning. It grabbed the attention somehow. I am not sure what you did, but could it be that you played a few special notes? Notes derived from DORIAN, but notes that might have been "outside notes", when compared to the Dm chord?

Thanks for the nice words :) . I think the start is actually in the dorian mode. I may have added a major 3rd here and there ie an f# instead of the f (which is what is expected over a dm7 chord vamp.) I also used a few chromatic notes in the middle, I know its meant to be stricktly dorian but when my playing seemed to be a little jazzy the chromatic notes felt kinda natural. Actually thinking back to the beginning I may have left the emphasis on different notes which may give the impression of a different mode because after all they all come from the same place. Have you posted yet coz i don't think i've heard it yet, would b interested to hear it. :)

Apple-Joe
06-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the nice words :) . I think the start is actually in the dorian mode. I may have added a major 3rd here and there ie an f# instead of the f (which is what is expected over a dm7 chord vamp.) I also used a few chromatic notes in the middle, I know its meant to be stricktly dorian but when my playing seemed to be a little jazzy the chromatic notes felt kinda natural. Actually thinking back to the beginning I may have left the emphasis on different notes which may give the impression of a different mode because after all they all come from the same place. Have you posted yet coz i don't think i've heard it yet, would b interested to hear it. :)

No, I didn't post it as I was not satisfied with my work. I tried MANY times, and I really wanted to post one of them, but I ended up thinking that there's no point in rushing it. I will practice a bit more and post it when I'm even more confident on the Dorian mode. I know a lot about the Pentatonic scale, and if you add two notes to the Pentatonic scale, you get the Dorian mode, so it shouldn't take too long to learn.

Ben, could you try one of the other modes? I'd like to hear.

Ben
06-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Yeh I don't mind, i'll try and have a bash at the lydian backing track or something at some point this week. The main trouble I have with the modes is making them sound distinctive from one another as they are all the same scale (obviously when in the correct keys) ie making a D dorian progression sound different from say a G mixolydian vamp as they both contain the same notes as the c major scale. To be honest it just comes from lack of experience. As i've said i have only really started taking the guitar seriously this past year as I have taken A level music. I know what the scales are just not as yet how to use them to get that distinctive sound each mode has.

I'll try and do it this week but i've got loads of work to do as always lol. Got to do a performance of a song next week and provide a thorough break down of it which will take a while to do but i've chosen surfing with the alien as I can try and mumble on about the modes used lol.

Do you have any uploads about so I can check out your playing?

Apple-Joe
06-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Yeh I don't mind, i'll try and have a bash at the lydian backing track or something at some point this week. The main trouble I have with the modes is making them sound distinctive from one another as they are all the same scale (obviously when in the correct keys) ie making a D dorian progression sound different from say a G mixolydian vamp as they both contain the same notes as the c major scale. To be honest it just comes from lack of experience. As i've said i have only really started taking the guitar seriously this past year as I have taken A level music. I know what the scales are just not as yet how to use them to get that distinctive sound each mode has.

I'll try and do it this week but i've got loads of work to do as always lol. Got to do a performance of a song next week and provide a thorough break down of it which will take a while to do but i've chosen surfing with the alien as I can try and mumble on about the modes used lol.

Do you have any uploads about so I can check out your playing?

No, I haven't got any uploads at this point.

About making each mode sound distinctive, I troubled quite a bit myself a while ago. However, now I know the key. What you got to have in mind when dealing with modes, is the BACKING track as well as the characteristic note for the mode.

When creating a ie. a D Dorian atmosphere, you should play let's say two chords where the first emphasize the tonal center (Dm) and the second helps underline the tonality of the mode. Now, as you want to underline the D Dorian tonality, you could play G after the Dm, as the natural 6th of Dm (B) is included in that chord.

Now we got Dm - G

For the melody it is now important to play the B note as well, but it sounds better over the G chord, as the note is not to be found in the Dm chord.

Also, emphasize the D note, of course, as it is the root. And finally the minor 3rd, as the Dorian mode got a minor tonality.

Just an example. Maybe you knew all this already, but then I can think of this writing as practice for my own sake.

Ben
06-26-2005, 01:11 PM
I know what you mean. I guess I may have been unclear as what I meant was I find it hard to create the atmosphere of a mode the first time I use it as I am unsure what the atmosphere should sound like if that makes sense. It is getting that feel across which takes a bit of practice. The dorian mode is ok though as I tend to use that reasonably often. Good to think about though as it gives you a chance to try and fully understand what's going on in a progressoin.

Apple-Joe
06-26-2005, 03:35 PM
I know what you mean. I guess I may have been unclear as what I meant was I find it hard to create the atmosphere of a mode the first time I use it as I am unsure what the atmosphere should sound like if that makes sense. It is getting that feel across which takes a bit of practice. The dorian mode is ok though as I tend to use that reasonably often. Good to think about though as it gives you a chance to try and fully understand what's going on in a progressoin.

Well, that's true. After listening to quite a few songs where each mode is represented, I have familiarized myself with the atmosphere of the modes now. I might not be an expert on the Locrian mode, but I have experimented a bit. That's just the way it is, you can't know how it will sound before you have listened to a couple of songs for demonstration.

EDIT: By the way, as I practiced the Dorian mode a bit yesterday, I will do another attempt at the Strictly Dorian very soon. I hope I progress a little bit first, and then come up with something I consider OK. I also have plans for a Mixolydian strictly. However, Dorian first, and if I get to record an allright version, I will be satisfied, as I troubled a lot a week ago. I couldn't get the natural 6th to fit the setting. Anyway, I think I am on the right track now. Let's wait and see. In the meatime, Ben, you could record a LYDIAN take, as you mention, and maybe have a go at the Mixolydian too?

Ben
06-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Yeah I don't mind, have to bear with me though due to lack of time but I'll try and do one or two this week.

Apple-Joe
06-28-2005, 08:29 PM
OK, I finally did it. To be honest, I'm not happy with it, but I uploaded it anyway.

A few comments first:

At the moment I got only four strings available on the guitar - the four highest strings - so I am a bit limited. In addition; if I play on any string, below the 10th fret, I get a very buzzy sound, or no sound at all (it's time to bring my guitar back to the guitar store...). Because of this I also have hard times tuning my guitar perfectly, which you might hear in the recording.

On the theoretical side, I am still new to the Dorian mode, but I'm learning. I had to sacrifice a little rhythm, in order to focus on the "dorian notes". However, it WAS an improvisation - it was recorded on the fly, after a few attempts. I didn't plan anything really, except one lick.

As if this is not enough, the sound quality isn't the best, the volume isn't the best. I've got plans for further recording of the strictly series, so at least, you can compare the rest of my attempts to this dorian recording.

Allright, enough excuses, here's the link, have a listen (and tell me the hard truth...):

http://apple-joe.tripod.com/nono.mp3

Los Boleros
06-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Allright, enough excuses, here's the link, have a listen (and tell me the hard truthExcuses not needed. Your tone is awsome! I really mean that. Your phrasing is Raw but it yields alot of attitude. It is obviouse to me that you already posses alot of what can't be taught. Now the actual recording, well I had to turn it way up to hear it and then all of a sudden my AOL kicked in wit
You've Got Mail!
Ouch. :p

Apple-Joe
06-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Excuses not needed. Your tone is awsome! I really mean that. Your phrasing is Raw but it yields alot of attitude. It is obviouse to me that you already posses alot of what can't be taught. Now the actual recording, well I had to turn it way up to hear it and then all of a sudden my AOL kicked in wit
You've Got Mail!
Ouch. :p

He he, bad luck for a moment, then. I'm not going to enable sounds for mail noticement.

Thank you for the response. That was not as bad as I feared. I liked that you mentioned attitude. However, I can do even better, but my guitar is only 20% in shape (which is a shame as I'm in 110% shape myself at the moment), and I have not much experience with the Dorian mode.

I am going to have a go at the other strictly's too, but maybe I will try to record a better Dorian recording first. One with better sound and more focused playing.

Los Boleros
06-28-2005, 09:40 PM
any help would be appreciated.Sounds good. You have that real scat sound that is often associated with dorian. I did notice though that yousometimes use the Major third hammer on over the minor chord. This must be a habbit. You know what I'm talking about, don't you. all in all it was a nice solo.;)

Ben
06-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I did notice though that yousometimes use the Major third hammer on over the minor chord. This must be a habbit. You know what I'm talking about, don't you.
Yep, is a habbit, don't think it sounds particularly out of place, just have to make sure its not held on too long or emphasised too much over a minor chord as you say. Thanks for the help :)

Apple-Joe
06-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Los Boleros, I forgot to ask what I planned to ask; Did you hear the Dorian atmosphere somewhere in my recording?

sixstrings121
06-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Joe, could you repost your song somewhere else? The tripod link is dead.

Apple-Joe
06-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Joe, could you repost your song somewhere else? The tripod link is dead.

Are you sure it's dead? It seems to work here, but it might be that the tripod people have removed it, and that it loads by temporary internet files for me. I don't know, let's see if someone else says the link is dead.

sixstrings121
06-28-2005, 11:08 PM
It says this when I click the link

" This file is hosted by Tripod, a LycosŪNetwork Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy. "

Los Boleros
06-29-2005, 05:52 AM
Los Boleros, I forgot to ask what I planned to ask; Did you hear the Dorian atmosphere somewhere in my recording?Yes I did. In my opinion, you don't have to go out of your way to get a Dorian sound. The one note that makes the Dorian sound is the 6. If you decide to use it all the time or decide to use it vary sparsely is all OK. Even if you just use it once. I have more respect for your solo because it dosent sound like a Dorian exercise. It just says "listen to this, and oh yea, it's Dorian".:D

Apple-Joe
06-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Yes I did. In my opinion, you don't have to go out of your way to get a Dorian sound. The one note that makes the Dorian sound is the 6. If you decide to use it all the time or decide to use it vary sparsely is all OK. Even if you just use it once. I have more respect for your solo because it dosent sound like a Dorian exercise. It just says "listen to this, and oh yea, it's Dorian".:D

OK. Well, I focused quite a lot on making it sound Dorian, but at some places I got carried away and played for the fun too.

The natural 6th does not sound particularly good over the i chord, I just have to say it. You've got to focus and hit the note over the suitting chords.

EDIT: Sixstrings - VERY strange. I just deleted the temporary internet files and everything which could imply "loading from offline sources". Then I tested my tripod link again, and it worked. The page loads, the built-in quick-time player icon appears, and the track plays.

EDIT II: I recorded another one today, this time the sound quality is a little better I think, and I used a clean tone:

http://apple-joe.tripod.com/dorianclean.mp3

Then I won't record any more Dorian's - I'd rather have a try at the other strictly's.

Los Boleros
06-29-2005, 02:01 PM
The natural 6th does not sound particularly good over the i chord, .Actually, the sound if the minor 6 works well but it's an aquireded sound. It takes a little while to get used to it. After you do, its hard not to want to hear it.:)

EDIT II: I recorded another one today, this time the sound quality is a little better I think, and I used a clean toneMuch better recording quality. While this one also had that attitude that seems to be your signature, I liked the first take better. It seemed alittle more natural. The second take sounded like the phrasing was alittle rushed. Never the less, I do like your vibe.;)

Apple-Joe
06-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Actually, the sound if the minor 6 works well but it's an aquireded sound. It takes a little while to get used to it. After you do, its hard not to want to hear it.:)
Much better recording quality. While this one also had that attitude that seems to be your signature, I liked the first take better. It seemed alittle more natural. The second take sounded like the phrasing was alittle rushed. Never the less, I do like your vibe.;)

Hm, you might have a point, but one could also say the first take was more unfocused. Also, the tone is different with overdrive, in a way which gives you the opportunity of 'resting' while letting the notes ring out more.

About being rushed, I think you are right. Also in this one, I sacrificed a little bit of the rhythm in order to emphasize the Dorian atmosphere even more. In my defense, this was also improvised and I had one main riff in mind, the rest was a result of a "go with the flow" attitude - which may provide varying results considering I'm new to the Dorian mode (but I am experienced with the Pentatonic, however, which helps a bit).

I don't know which strictly to try next, but maybe I will lay out a plan for more parts of the track, while improvising a little less.

Anyway, the strictly series are a great fun and have a motivating effect.

UKRuss
06-30-2005, 06:48 PM
I liked your take a lot Ben, you got some chops there and it really gave me the Dorian flow! Nice stuff.

Apple Joe, I liked yours too but I thought I was struggling a bit to grasp the Dorian sound. It tended to revolve around the pentatonic type riffs and licks, which were very nice and perfectly valid. Like you say yourself your trying to nail down that Dorian sound and it's starting to come through, but hey ni the mean ime I'll hear some more pent licks no problem!:D

Apple-Joe
06-30-2005, 07:50 PM
I liked your take a lot Ben, you got some chops there and it really gave me the Dorian flow! Nice stuff.

Apple Joe, I liked yours too but I thought I was struggling a bit to grasp the Dorian sound. It tended to revolve around the pentatonic type riffs and licks, which were very nice and perfectly valid. Like you say yourself your trying to nail down that Dorian sound and it's starting to come through, but hey ni the mean ime I'll hear some more pent licks no problem!:D

Well, yes, you are right. I try to emphasize the Dorian atmosphere, but it may be that my fingers go wild from time to time. Because of that, it might sound a little forced, but I do all I can to underline the Dorian mood.

When improvising using the Dorian mode, I still have to sacrifice the flow for the presence of the Dorian notes (natural 6th, minor 3rd and root, most importantly).

Ben
06-30-2005, 08:21 PM

Thanks very much. I think my playing is certainly starting to get where I want it to go which is nice and this forum is a great way to see other people's interpretation of the same chord progressions. I look forward to having a go a few more of these strickly threads soon!

Poparad
07-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Here's my quick take on it.

I did some traid pair ideas (F and G), some quintal arpeggios and planing, and some pentatonic things.

mattblack850
07-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Hey Poparad, I really liked that, it's got a relly nice vibe running through it!!
A big ask though, any chance of a ptb for it??

Factor
07-03-2005, 11:53 AM
That is really nice Poparad! Glad to hear your playing. Have you got some more clips on the net?

Love that opening motif :)

Planing, is that what you do at the break around 00:49? I haven't heard about that before. Cool though :)

I think you might have run a bit out of ideas towards the end, but you made a strong ending from 01:15. I really liked that part. You also had a raunchy muddy quality to your tone when playing in the lower register - how did you make that happen? :)

schematics
07-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Hi guys

Here's my "smooth jazz" version of it - no distortion :D :D.

Poparad
07-03-2005, 04:18 PM
That is really nice Poparad! Glad to hear your playing. Have you got some more clips on the net?

Now that I have some time on my hands, I'm going to go through all these Strictly threads. I do have a Soundclick page, but the newest clip is about a year and a half old.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/jeremeypoparadmusic.htm

Planing, is that what you do at the break around 00:49? I haven't heard about that before. Cool though :)

Yep. I'm playing diatonic fifths on the top two strings and sliding up the neck.

I think you might have run a bit out of ideas towards the end, but you made a strong ending from 01:15. I really liked that part. You also had a raunchy muddy quality to your tone when playing in the lower register - how did you make that happen? :)

Yeah, I had a hard time making a take I liked with this one. As for the tone, that's just me and my poor recording skills. :)

Two of the guys I play in a band with are audio engineers, so everytime I make quick demos of song ideas on my computer, it makes them cringe with all the clipping and scant mixing.

Poparad
07-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey Poparad, I really liked that, it's got a relly nice vibe running through it!!
A big ask though, any chance of a ptb for it??

Here's a couple licks transcribed. The third one isn't rhythmically what I played, but it's the idea I had in mind.

Maarten
07-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi guys

Here's my "smooth jazz" version of it - no distortion :D :D.

That was great! I mean, really! Very nice Benson-like vibe. What guitar did you play that on?
Do you have any other recordings we can listen to, maybe something a bit more straight ahead jazz?

satch_master
07-04-2005, 09:50 AM
wow, nice jazzy takes guys. Definatly no my style of playing but i really enjoyed it.

Bizarro
07-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Ben, cool ideas! I really enjoyed your take. Neat double stops and phrasing.

Poparad, very smooth! Nice jazz licks and tone.

UKRuss
07-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Poparad and schematics,

That was a genuine treat, fantastic style from you both.

Some really easy ideas there poparad but you make them work so well, just smooth and creamy rolling notes. just a pleasure to listen to.

Schematics. utter class. that was truly sublime, very very tasty playing.

like Maarten and others i could listen to a lot of that, MORE PLEASE!

You've made my evening guys, I wish i could play like that and now i know you can record and upload I demand a jazz "strictly"!!!:D

schematics
07-05-2005, 12:42 AM
@ UKRuss, Marteen

Thanks!

Marteen, the guitar is an Ibanez SZ 1220, Mahagony with Maple top, so you get sort of a Gibson LP/PRS sound.

UKRuss, that backing track was a bitch to play :D. That G7 gave me a hard time in terms of "dorian feel". Usually, "real dorian" to me is more sort of something like
Dm7 Dm7 Em7
/ / / / Ķ / / / / Ķ

Good practice vehicle anyway. Thanks you made me find out that I'm out of practice with this kind of stuff. With this modal stuff, it ain't easy to play something intelligent anyway (not speaking of the usual licks).
Don't have any records, but if I'll come up with some new ideas for your backing track I'll post it.

UKRuss
07-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Great! Lot's of other stricklies to have a bash at:D

schematics
07-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Here's another clip - tried a few other ideas while keeping a funky mood, but also going a bit "outside".

Hope you guys like it.

Cheers

mattblack850
07-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Don't think there's anything here un-Dorian!
Just messing about with the Wah settings, they could be a bit better, but hey, I'm still getting used to this new stuff!!

There will be more to come!!!!

Oh, sorry about the very abrupt ending!!!;)

Mateo150
07-24-2005, 06:27 PM
hey schematics, could you give the chords and fingerings for the first 30 seconds of your first take? I liked that one more than the second take. The chords and fingerings shouldn't take ya that long.

Did you add a flanger Matt? I don't like the auto wah and flanger, too steady, a bit mechanical, but the playing sounds good, the last section and the slow bends sound good.

mattblack850
07-24-2005, 07:18 PM
No flanger, that's the just the auto-wah in-built in the program, I could have set it up a bit better though!;)

UKRuss
07-24-2005, 08:15 PM
I like that take better than the first myself Schematics, love the outside runs and resolution, great timing.

Neil, i think i liked it, but the wah was doing my head in specially through the bins, sounded like some nice stuff goin on though.

mattblack850
07-24-2005, 11:23 PM
I like that take better than the first myself Schematics, love the outside runs and resolution, great timing.

Neil, i think i liked it, but the wah was doing my head in specially through the bins, sounded like some nice stuff goin on though.

Yeah, I know!!!! That Wah sounded OK in mono, but for some reason it goes across the channels in stereo!! It didn't sound so bad in the original take!!
I'll post another take when I get back from a week of 'Hippie Bashing'!!!

mattblack850
08-05-2005, 02:57 PM
OK I'm back from bashing a select few hippies!!!!

here's another one, not the best one, but the best of a bad bunch!!

UKRuss
08-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Black Magic Neil!

Very Santanesque at around 1.03, brings a smile to my Friday afternoon face!

Apple-Joe
08-05-2005, 03:13 PM
OK I'm back from bashing a select few hippies!!!!

here's another one, not the best one, but the best of a bad bunch!!

Nice, smooth tone. I like the function of the wah - it doesn't sound overdone.

This recording made me want to play the Dorian mode again. Maybe I will try to play your solo (no no, chill down, I'm not going to record it or take any form for credits...). I'll play it for the sake of my own education.

Madaxeman
09-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Here is my go at it. Show me no mercy, I can only get better!:D

UKRuss
09-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Heyyyyyyy, I like that!:D

No comments really, I liked a lot. some nice ideas. If I was pushed I would say the timing is a little out but we all have that problem:D

Nice one Madaxe, good to hear your stuff!

Apple-Joe
09-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Here is my go at it. Show me no mercy, I can only get better!:D

I liked it. You succeeded in bringing on the Dorian flavour. I almost got in the mood for playing the Dorian strictly again myself when listening to the recording. As I listened to your take, I imagined myself playing over the track. I'd also enjoy it, however, I'm afraid I wouldn't define the Dorian atmosphere as well and controlled. I'd probably go crazy using the same old pentatonic bends and habits. The tone was also quite smooth. Try recording a few of the other strictlies, too.

Madaxeman
09-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks guys! I will definately be adding stuff to the strictlies. Dorian is the first Mode I've tackled since hitting the books. I guess it's time to move to Phrygian.
UKRuss, what did you use to lay down the backing track?

Madaxeman
09-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Russ, after spending time away from it, I really can hear/feel myself being off time. Something I need to work on.
Thanks again for the track.

UKRuss
09-22-2005, 09:33 AM
I use a Boss BR864 digi 8 track it has an onboard drum machine, I just used the preset loops and fills. Bass and Guitar overdubbed.

The timing is particularly difficult on the Dorian one because of the stops and starts, we all had that problem. Timing in general is just time in front of the Gnome. You can really notice the difference between the amatuer players on the site and the pros, timing is one of the key differences ( apart from the chops, licks and speed of course:rolleyes: )

Check out EricV, Thorsten, Phantom, SeattleRuss, Schematics etc. for how it should be done

Madaxeman
09-23-2005, 12:49 AM
I listened to SattleRuss before putting my track down. I sure can tell the difference!
Boss stuff seems to be good all around, I'm using a GS-10 w/bundled Cakewalk software. Just need to upgrade my PC, because it's 8 years old and has nothing geared towards music (soundcard is horrible). I am surprised my track came out as clean as it did!
Thanks Again Russ.

Thorsten
09-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey thanks U.K.Russ! I just discovered this thread here (...am I blind? ;) ) and couldnīt help but participate. I found the backing track was really good so it was really fun playing!

Iīm afraid thereīs not much "dorian" playing in this and I just played what came to mind. Hope Iīm not breaking the law here...(huh,huh, he,he breakinī the law, breakinīthe law... ;) )

Cheers
TK

mattblack850
09-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Yoinks!!!! 'T' does the lot..... from metal to 70's Soul Funk Brother and back again!!!:D :D :D

Awesome Thorsten!!!!

Apple-Joe
09-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Hey thanks U.K.Russ! I just discovered this thread here (...am I blind? ;) ) and couldnīt help but participate. I found the backing track was really good so it was really fun playing!

Iīm afraid thereīs not much "dorian" playing in this and I just played what came to mind. Hope Iīm not breaking the law here...(huh,huh, he,he breakinī the law, breakinīthe law... ;) )

Cheers
TK

Words are redudant. Everyone who has listened to the track knows what I mean. This is among the most complete tracks I have heard, and I have listened to many strictlies. I do not - and probably never will - understand what's going on in the middle of the song. Incredible technique, sound and overall atmosphere. However, it's either the first or last part of the song that I prefer. The definite favourite part I think is where the wah-wah sets in.

UKRuss
09-23-2005, 11:32 PM
TK, I think my favourite bit is the, now let me get this right..."Muted wah tremolo picking" section at 1.09 into the harmonised section.

Pure class.

Now you see when I was talking about timing Madaxe? That's some of what I'm talking about.

Timing plus phrasing plus class plus fun plus correct attitude, plus technique plus a lil bit of this and a lil bit of that. (the "je ne sais crois" element)

Right!? Yeah, I'm right. Theres no argiung with the TK's take. It underlines, IMHO, what guitar playing is all about, Fun married with everyone knowing the work that went into being that good. Irreplaceable.

TK, I only say: Thank you. Because in that couple of minutes you have inspired me to put together the baddest and the best stricklies we have yet seen!

Heads up everyone! In the next couple of weeks I will deliver strickly fun on a plate! You can take it to the bank.

Lets get this party STARTED:D

TK, one day you and I will jam, even if I have to pay, we will jam!:D

edit: Oh yes of course I forgot to metion it is a strickly fail!

Hey! Don't cuss me! I have to get my jollies somewhere...;)

Mateo150
09-24-2005, 03:25 AM
TK, inspirational, any tips for that nice outside sounding section between 0:21 and 0:26? What was the mental process that led to those note choices, narrow it down if you don't mind, was it trying to think in large intervals, arp passage, noodling, errr whatever?

Madaxeman
09-24-2005, 06:26 AM
UKRuss,
Definately got it now! These threads are gold! I need to let go. I think my playing is too reserved, like I'm just on the outside and not in the song.
I am going to lay down another take and get my grooove on! Hopefully it will sound like I put my soul into it this time!
Speaking of that vibe, when I listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn, I feel he (like no other) let his soul come out of those strings. I have heard other great players do the same songs, but he still was just on some other level to me.
Anyway, that just popped in my head.
Bottom line, great track TK.

Black-Mantra
09-24-2005, 07:34 AM
That backing track sounds like a video game theme from Rayman lol. Madaxeman, I like I like! You have a very jazzy sound going on there, plus it sounds lively and flamboyant. It doesnt suck at all!

Madaxeman
09-24-2005, 08:25 AM
Thanks BM!

Thorsten
09-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey thanks everybody!

Russ, we will jam one day, thatīs for sure! You wonīt have to pay for nothing! (except maybe a beer or two ;) )

What a great response, glad you feel inspired!

When recording this I just tried to think of something that would sound interesting. So instead of just noodeling over the whole track, which I tried first and which started to sound boring very quick, I came up with these different little sections.

First up I layed down this funk bass track to have a good foundation. Then the cool, heavy sounding "open hi-hat" drum track inspired me to the metal rythm guitar part in the middle. Next up was to think of something for the leads.
You donīt blow all your chops right away so I thought to start out more relaxed, with a clean, jazzy feel guitar. I basically used some pentatonic licks, thrown in with some chromatics and found a rythmic, more funk like accentuation of the notes sounded better over the backing track then some legato lines. The "outside" sounding licks towards the end just came naturally as I was trying to think of something that would give it a little climax. Iīm not an expert on jazz guitar but itīs always good to have a little arsenal of weird, "outside" licks just in case ;) . So this is one of them I used here (check ptb).

Well, next was the "heavy guitar" part. I quickly improvised a solo over that one using again basically pentatonic licks and a Dmin sweep arpeggio towards the end.

The "funk soul brother" wha-part was really fun! What can I say...just grap your olīcry baby and get in the groove :cool: ! You donīt play lots of notes just listen to the drum and bass and play some rythmic accentuations. You have to find some cool chords that would fit though(check ptb).
The chromatic picking run at the end was again just something to give it a little shredding climax (check ptb).

Next was to build up the tension some more so I came up with the twin harmony guitar part and thatīs something you always have to put in more work. Basically I just thought of a fitting first melody that I wouldnīt have trouble harmonizing. I used some major and minor thirds for the melody as well as fourth and fifth for the sweep arpeggio at the end (check ptb).

Finally, of course I had to include a fast alternate picking run for the ultimate shredding climax ;) . That oneīs the only one that has a dorian tonality moving from dorian to phrygian to ionian, back to dorian and up to mixolydian. Iīm just running through all the modes ending on that final 24th fret high E exit note.

Well, thatīs about it, it was fun and Iīm really looking forward to some more great stricly threads. Canīt wait what you come up with next, Russ!

Cheers
TK

UKRuss
09-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Great PTBS TK, Thanks! Love the arp harmony ideas.

tucker97325
09-24-2005, 06:43 PM
:eek: WOW!!!:eek:

What else can I say?

:eek: WOW!!!:eek: