PDA

View Full Version : Strictly Dorian?

Pages : 1 [2]

Apple-Joe
09-24-2005, 09:51 PM
I know exactly what you mean, tucker. It's hard to find words/descriptions that justify the playing. One must listen.

UKRuss
09-25-2005, 06:35 AM
...and learn!

heh heh, I've already started incorporating he full bends at the end of licks like the ptab for the harmonised arp.

Cool effect!

hairballxavier
10-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Great tune TK.

Sounds alot like Ernie Isley.

Great dynamics, I love the twists those outside licks put in there.

satch_master
10-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Tryed to incorporate some rhythm bass aswell. Nothing special, bit of fun.
like my metal singer impersonation at the start LOL. :D
The last part is a rhythmic variation. The bass plays the dominant 7th chord and adds some funky passing tones :D
I had to record with a mic this time, technical difficulties :( but you can still hear the bass.It's actually harder to solo on bass cause there are less strings and also because you need a STRONG left hand to be able to bend notes and play fast runs and legato. Don't believe me then try it. Guitar has alot thinner strings and the necks are super fast so it makes it easier to solo on. As you have prob noticed i have been studying bass more lately because i am a way better bassist and have a true love for the instrument. Don't worry, i dn't just pick up the bass, i have been playing for like 4 years steadily, i'm not that fickle LOL.
Time for me to learn some more advanced chords for bass that i can chuck into my licks to spice up my songs.

satch_master
10-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Holy Crap!
Thorsten, words canno't describe how awesome and musically genius that sounded.
You have a way of shredding that is light speed and really fast but it never sounds like you are wanking or just going up and down the scales mindlessly. You just got same natural talent that it really hard to achieve. Technique wise you are brilliant and same musically. Most guys have the flashy technique but no musical value.
99% of musicians fall into the "noodlers" category, its a bad habit that i do aswell, brought on by lack of experience, just hitting notes on the scale and hope it sounds good.

The funk slap bass is really good, fits great and the jazzy solos are wierd and cool.
Then at 29 seconds. YOU BLOODY RIPPED MY HEAD OFF! Sounds like Paul Gilbert on steroids! extremely fast AP runs and penta crazy and finishes with a crazy sweep lick. WOW.
Then the funk wah guitar utilisation, very savvy usage.NICE.
The harmonized guitar part at around 1:13 sounds like a mix of Warren De Martini at the start and then almost Cacophony sounding.
Then another run which was like light speed up and down the neck and great vibrato.

Phew, that is alot to take in but it is awe inspiring. Man your such an incredible guitarist and gifted musician. Anything you shred over turns to gold! :) You could easily be on the level of satch, malmsteen and all the other well known guitar virtuisos.

In only a minute and half you say so much than what i could say in a whole hour of noodling over the same backing. GENIUS PLAYING.
When is your album coming out?, i definatly gotta get a copy.

Buebo
10-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Ahhh god, just too cool TK!

Thorsten
10-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone! Wow, what else can I say but THANK YOU!!! You guys are great!

Satch I sent you a PM! Again thanks, too much of an honour man!

THANK YOU!!!

furiousnewf
11-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Yippie, my turn

furiousnewf
11-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Damn it... I just listened to Thorsten's....

and I think a little poo came out.... Damn it, locking myself in a shed for a couple of years!

UKRuss
11-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Don't worry mate, we're all in that boat.

I like your ideas, some nice technique going down there. My only critiscism was that the wah was too in line with the rhythm aspect of the backing track i.e in and out on the up and down beat, rather than it being totally expressive.

But minor wranglings really, the playing I loved!

Nice job!

MatthiasB
11-04-2005, 09:50 PM
@Thorsten
You are sooo awesome Thorsten...what a musical statement. I mean the way you smoothly combine your great and versatilel skills which very inspiring. It's very intersting and motivating to play to the backing track and than listening to your track noticing how bad oneself still is :D.
It would be soo cool to see you performing in the near future.
Good luck with your cd releasing. I hope I can get hold of it soon!

@furiousnewf
I like your recording!! It includs a lot of nice ideas. Only the sound is much improvable! Anyway nice work!

@my recording
As usual my track is absolutly spontanious and improvised! The routine is missing a bit at the moment because school work is very time-consuming at the moment!
I hope you like it anyway and I would appreciate a comment!!

All the best!
Matthias

furiousnewf
11-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Cool

Sounds good. Yeah I agree, I need to approve my sound. How can I do that. How do I properly mic, what mics are good... How do you eliminate hiss....

MattW
11-05-2005, 02:06 PM
A few simple ways to improve your sound through a microphone:

1) Generally place the mic a couple of inches away from the speaker pointing towards the edge of the cone, playing around with various positions to find a more specific sound that you want (some people even place the mic behind the amp).

2) Record at the highest possible volume where no digital distortion occurs to reduce the ratio of unwanted to wanted sound.

3) Listen to the backing track through headphones when you record, this stops you getting the sound of the backing track in the background of your lead take. This helps with mixing and should marginally improve sound as the backing track would have reduced in quality if it was recorded for a second time and played back. (Could I say back any more times!?);)

:cool:

furiousnewf
11-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks...

Do you guys usually just plug a mic directly into the sound card on your computer? Or do you use any piece of gear?

Any thoughts on a half decent cheap mic?

Thorsten
11-06-2005, 07:32 AM
furiousnewf- Thanks, man! Liked your version very much, too! Sounded great, cool licks and overall good tone and vibrato! For recording at home I´d use one of these guitar modeling things that are around these days. They´re not too expensive and I think you can get great results with one of these straight into the soundcart. If recording with a mic I agree with everything MattW said but remember to really crank your amp to make it sound good... :cool: If you got questions on gear just send me a PM...

MatthiasB- Thanks for the compliments, man! Really appreciate it! I really liked your take too! Don´t worry bout the technical part of playing. That´ll come with time and practice. But I can hear you have feel and a good vibrato in your playing and that´s most important! Sounded great!
I hope too be playing live a lot as soon as the album´s released. Just keep checking back on my web-site or write me a PM...Actually where in NRW are you from?

Cheers
TK

furiousnewf
11-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Hey Thorsten, thanks for the kind words. Your comments, tips and feedbaack are very encouraging. We all appreciate it very much. I guess it would be like Paul Gilbert messaging you and giving you the same advice that you give us. Except Paul would be like, "Holy **** Thorsten, how the hell did you do that ;)"

I don't think anyone here would ever get bored of you posting more. I expect quite the opposite is true, that we all look forward to your comments, opinions, and especially your postings of examples (powertab and mp3). You're setting the bar high for us, so we all have a goal.

Just want to say thanks man, I'm sure thats from all of us here.

PS You gonna be touring in Canada?

EricV
11-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Thorsten, awesome take, as usual =)

Matthias, liked yours a lot. Makes me proud to hear your playing these days. Lesson today was fun, see ya in about 2 weeks ( great playing on the ballad this afternoon as well ! )
Eric

MatthiasB
11-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks a lot for taking the time to listen to my take and to write a comment. You really motivate me to continue working hard on my playing!!

@Thorsten
I live in Marienfeld near Gütersloh and I am one of Eric´s student. I was very sad that the concert at the Elfenbein did not take place. I am sure i will a chance to see you perform :).

@Eric
Yeah the last lesson was very helpfull. It really motivated me to work on my muting technique. Especially the idea of the one akkord improvisation was very interesting!

UKRuss
11-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Great vibrato Matthias and some great tone and licks coming through in your playing now!

Keep 'em coming:D

dmsstudios
11-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Russ,

Awesome track - great solos!! Very smooth. This kind of music explores the concept of complexity & simplicity coexisting. Very nice!

I can tell that you had fun recording this one.

Dan

UKRuss
11-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Yeeeaaaahhh! This one was great fun!

Apple-Joe
11-30-2005, 12:08 PM
As we're on the subject of Dorian; this is the favourite of Santana, isn't it? Well, what is his most common backing rhythm? Is it also ii - V7 (as in Dm-G7 in the key of C)?

dennis
03-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Wow, excellent backing track.

Heres my take.
Timing is off at certain places, i gotta work on my timing. (LOL, i gotta work on so much stuff :rolleyes:)
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD (http://medicalmarijuanacard.info)

Ehvam
03-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey Dennis, cool go. What i liked the most was the fact that you go more for feel than for chops. Really good. I dug it alot.

dennis
03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey Dennis, cool go. What i liked the most was the fact that you go more for feel than for chops. Really good. I dug it alot.

Lol, I really dont have much of a choice (no chops :rolleyes: )
________
LadyHotBody live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/LadyHotBody)

Apple-Joe
03-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow, excellent backing track.

Heres my take.
Timing is off at certain places, i gotta work on my timing. (LOL, i gotta work on so much stuff :rolleyes:)

Gonna check it tonight. Dorian is always interesting. One of the most interesting modes.

EDIT: Listening. I thought I heard a slightly sour bend or two in the beginning, but it was subtle. Then I like the experimental parts which appear further into the song. I also hear a certain potential regarding bends. They're not always too distinct, but they are there, and they're something.

paTz0r
05-12-2006, 04:20 AM
Well, I have been wanting to get into these strictly threads since november and now that my semester of college is over, I think I finally may get a chance to do so.

Heres my first take on dorian. I have never been good at improving with modes, but I figure this is the best way to learn. So, any feedback is highly appreciated :p

http://www.missouri.edu/~pecyq2/Band%20Stuff/My%20tracks/Pats%20Dorian.mp3

P.S. sorry about not uploading to the iBM server, it was taking forever so I just used my storage.

hairballxavier
05-12-2006, 07:36 PM
You link doesn't work.

UKRuss
05-12-2006, 07:48 PM
I had the link working ok, but it is a bit jumpy.

Nice sound though with the autowah, perhaps not enough variation from the pattern/position you chose? Also, returning often to the one note where you knew resolution was guaranteed.

But overall it was funkadorian fun!

steve0192
05-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey I just realised I never did Dorian one!

Time to break out the guitar and see if I can still play.

Steve

Apple-Joe
05-12-2006, 11:58 PM
steve, I'm quite sure you did. Or maybe not the Strictly Dorian one? I'm quite confident I heard a track of yours with a Dorian sound which impressed me.

EDIT: Listening to Pats Dorian. I like the sound and how the playing flows. Around 1 minute, some great lower-pitches sequence. The entire track sounds on fire. Do more. Record more.

steve0192
05-13-2006, 11:24 AM
You know you're right! Back on page 11.

I must be going mad! I blame the lack of sleep introduced by my new baby, which incidentally is why I havent been getting involved as much this year.

Steve

Kinoble
06-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Heys Guys this is my attempt. Very rushed and shorter than the others but thought id give it a go. Great thread btw Russ. Any Comments would be cool.

Cheers,
ben :cool:

joeyd929
06-09-2006, 12:49 AM
Heys Guys this is my attempt. Very rushed and shorter than the others but thought id give it a go. Great thread btw Russ. Any Comments would be cool.

Cheers,
ben :cool:

Nice! Great phrasing and technique. How long have you been playing?
This is good stuff... Do you record on a home studio.

joeyd929
06-09-2006, 01:03 AM
I sort of was thinking in modes for this attachment but I just winged it, all a first take, no rehearsal..

joeyd929
06-09-2006, 01:04 AM
I sort of was thinking in modes for this attachment but I just winged it, all a first take, no rehearsal.. It is just a little expiremental thing I did with a clean strat. Comments, input, opinions. It is NOT a song, just a jam to expirement with some solo ideas.

Kinoble
06-09-2006, 07:41 AM
hey joey.

Thanks for the comments! Very rough take, but the sound quality is ok-recorded through cubase se. I didnt eq anything though. Ive had a guitar since i was twelve, started playing seriously around 14/15, and im 18 now, so bout 4 years properly. I neglected theory until about a year ago though, but am getting their slowly!

Loved your playing, you put melody first, with a nice clean bold tone. Your playing sounded nice and confident which is always good to hear! How long you bin playing?

Thanks
Ben :cool:

UKRuss
06-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Ben Kinoble?..Should we just call you Obi-wan?;)

Seriously though, very fluid playing Ben. No comments required from me! Tasty improv, nice technique. How about stretching some of those intervals and have some extended arps in there or some sweeps to widen the melodic range?

Joey, great tone and some nice ideas. For me though, perhaps mix it up a bit more rhythmically and when you are playing the slow passages get the timing spot on. Otherwise it can sound in places like you are playing your solo in the same key but not for the same song, if you see what I mean?

Nice improv though and that's the name of the game with these strictlies, just go for it and try to get the sound down.

Kinoble
06-09-2006, 07:55 AM
hey russ. Great thread, really original!

Lol, my names Ben Howell, Kinoble is just a starnge nickname!

Thanks for the kind comments, very rushed but a great backing track! what did you record it on? Im practicing sweep picking now, hopefully that will help with the interval ranges!

Many thanks

Ben (Obi) Kinoble :D

UKRuss
06-09-2006, 07:58 AM
I tend to use digiboxes rather than PC recording, this was an 8 track digi recorder but I've just upgraded to 16 tracks.

Glad your enjoying the strictlies, There's plenty to work through!:D

joeyd929
06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
hey joey.

Thanks for the comments! Very rough take, but the sound quality is ok-recorded through cubase se. I didnt eq anything though. Ive had a guitar since i was twelve, started playing seriously around 14/15, and im 18 now, so bout 4 years properly. I neglected theory until about a year ago though, but am getting their slowly!

Loved your playing, you put melody first, with a nice clean bold tone. Your playing sounded nice and confident which is always good to hear! How long you bin playing?

Thanks
Ben :cool:

Thanks for the comments also, my recording is definitely a rough take. I laid down the rhythm, drums, and keys and threw in a solo with a Strat. I have been playing since 1977, so about 29 years. Over that time there was probably a total of 3 years that I did not play, for various reasons. I have some other short stuff, let me know if you would like to hear any of it. Not songs really, just little ideas for practice.

Buebo
06-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Just listened to Thorstens take again, sweet lord I forgot how hard it rocked!
Do yourself a favour and listen to it again (or if you haven't yet at all!!).

paTz0r
10-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Revisiting this one with some fun new recording gear :)

http://www.missouri.edu/~pecyq2/Band%20Stuff/My%20tracks/Doriana.mp3

UKRuss
10-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Nice quality sound on that one Patz. Guitar sounding a bit too solid state ( but I have that problem too).

Some nice phrasing in the early section, then i heard a slight loss of way maybe? Followed by a return to the comfort zone of the pent licks;)

I like it overall.

This backing has proved very popular, maybe I'll do a Dorian 2 soon eh?

paTz0r
10-07-2006, 04:44 PM
ya, dorian is always a fun one. The recording is from my guitarport, so i guess its sort of solid state anyway :P. Ya, I think the main thing it lacked was a lot of 'direction'

I think a new dorian track would be appreciated by everyone!

Anarchist
11-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Here is my take, I am not good as you guys only playing for 2 years so be easy on me. :)

http://www.esnips.com/doc/ce692de6-9ac8-4663-8bb2-45aa729b7f6e/Santo-Carlo.mp3

joeyd929
11-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi. Where is the original Dorian jam without any solos? Would like to try recording something over this but I can't find the jam track...

furiousnewf
11-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Yeah, a dorian part 2 would be cool. Anyway, I had another go, cuz its fun.

Cheers

mattblack850
11-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Joey, go to the very beginning of the thread and you should find the backing track on Russ' original post!!

joeyd929
11-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanx. I'm just an idiot, I found it...

joeyd929
11-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Just a personal comment....one of the dorian posts is titled D dorian widdly...

I know this is not a contest, but whoever "widdly" is, gets my vote for the best solo over this jam....Hats off...

UKRuss
11-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Here is my take, I am not good as you guys only playing for 2 years so be easy on me. :)

http://www.esnips.com/doc/ce692de6-9ac8-4663-8bb2-45aa729b7f6e/Santo-Carlo.mp3

esnips wants me to install additional plug ins...i don;t like the sound of that so i can't hear it. Can you compress and post as<1.5mb mp3?

UKRuss
11-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Yeah, a dorian part 2 would be cool. Anyway, I had another go, cuz its fun.

Cheers

Ooofff, that's nice! I like the pinches very well executed and nice vibrato to go along with it. tidy play. I'll have to trawl back to find your OP but I think I'd be right in saying...someone's been practicing eh?:D

UKRuss
11-26-2006, 09:14 PM

I know this is not a contest, but whoever "widdly" is, gets my vote for the best solo over this jam....Hats off...

That's Ben Kinoble's I think?

But I think I still have to go with TK's awesome rock out which still makes me laugh with joy when i hear it.

One things for sure, there is some great playing on this strictly all round.

furiousnewf
11-26-2006, 09:16 PM
No, not that much... Not as much as I like... But this site does inspire me. I only get to get on here about once a month.

I wish I had time to play more, but you guys know how it is, work, the house, the missus... They seem to take priority!

Anyway, just got a new GNX3000 and it helps alot with the home recording, and with winter approaching I'm hoping to be here alot more!!!

UKRuss
11-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Good news! Nothing sees the winter through than I bit of shiny new gear!

Lookin forward to some more takes.

I've also finished my study/exams for this year so bar work, house, kids, wife etc. I plan to make good on my deal to deliver some new strictlies for us to work on.

Anarchist
11-26-2006, 09:30 PM
esnips wants me to install additional plug ins...i don;t like the sound of that so i can't hear it. Can you compress and post as<1.5mb mp3?

whats additional plugin? maybe flash, it didnt ask me anything when I played it.

UKRuss
11-26-2006, 09:36 PM
I dunno, I'm just loathe to let a website install stuff. Its prolly cos I'm a mac user.

Anarchist
11-26-2006, 09:41 PM
no problem Sir,here you go! comments willbe greatly appreciated.

UKRuss
11-26-2006, 09:51 PM
I like it! Some nice licks in there. Perhaps in places overstepping your current clean speed limit and if i was being extremely critical I would say you have one string, perhaps the g string, that is sliiiiiightly out of tune.

It would be great to hear some key resolutions with some wide vibrato too.

other than that it's all in there isn't it, just needs a final polish and some technique practice, but hands up anyone who doesnt need that!

cheers!

Anarchist
11-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Damn I should have checked my tuning before recording it :) Thanx a lot for your opinion man, I am just learning and practicing and learning and cycle goes on :)

kjellen
01-07-2007, 05:53 PM
I rediscovered this forum after a long time off of it, and cursed my stupidity for not hanging around the last year. To start "getting the feel of things" again, I thought I should just wildly improvise over a strictly track, quick and easy, and then post it to get going again. It ended up sounding like something of the least interesting piece of organized noise I've heard in a while, but who am I to think I'm good?

joeyd929
01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
This really is not meant to be an equipment question, but I was wondering what most of you all use to record on....Stand alone multitrack units?, Cubase, Cakewalk?, My friend just got an imac and it has a built in multitrack recorder.

Please send me a private Email on the topic if you want to keep equipment off of the site, I am just wondering what you all use.

UKRuss
01-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Ooooo, very nice kjellen! some great licks in there. consider them stolen for my own uses!:D

And...Welcome back! long time no see!

But as you know IBM is like the hotel california on the net. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

kjellen
01-07-2007, 08:24 PM
:D Thanks, Russ! That's what they're there for. I'll probably try to stay checked in a bit more regularly this year, but who knows. Will never leave though, that beast is unkillable... ;)

kjellen
01-09-2007, 05:55 PM
You asked for some licks in tab format, and I jotted down a few, if there are any more in specific, just ask, but I took the ideas I myself tend to find interesting about the dorian mode.

The first two come from shapes that are the same fingerings on several strings, the 10-12 on all strings and the 9-10 on the 3rd and 4th string, I think these types of licks are interesting because they play on intervals not present in straight minor (or aeolian, to use the "correct" name).

Also I like to arpeggiate shapes containing the major 6th, like the Cmaj7 and the Bm7b5 I included on the tab. Just ask if there are any specifics, but these are the ones I am most satisfied with myself.

Kinoble
01-09-2007, 06:47 PM

Lol, cheers joey, thanks a lot.

I dont dont agree with you hehe, there are some fantastic takes, ofcourse thorstens is great and kjellen's is really nice too, so hats of to them. ;) But thanks anyhows!

I would love a dorian no.2, just like the one in frank gambales 'modes are no more mystery...'

Cheers,

Ben

UKRuss
01-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Lay it down! Over to you Obiwan!

Kjellen...I am a mac user now...no ptabs for me...Any chance of a pdf?:D

kjellen
01-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Here is a jpg, at least. How do you convert a ptb-file to pdf?

UKRuss
01-09-2007, 10:09 PM
No idea...thanks though! That'll keep me going!:D

Kinoble
01-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Hey Russ.

My bloomin midi keyboard is broken, but i will record a track dorian no.2 if you like, in the couple of weeks or so, busy with compositions at uni, sorry! Feel free to make one sooner if thats too long! :)

Cheers,

Ben

Holger Persch
01-10-2007, 06:53 AM
How do you convert a ptb-file to pdf?
You can use the freeware tool PDFCreator (for Windows) for this purpose. It installs as a printer and you can use it to create PDF files by simply printing the PTB files.

Holger

kjellen
01-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks! Will do it on the 251-ptb i put up, then. :)

Here it is: :D

EDIT: D'oh, this should be in the 251-thread... :/ Will post it there as well...

meritonemusic
06-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Hi guys,

Here's a playlist of free Dorian Mode practice backing tracks (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC8054A50AEE791DF) for ya'll!

and some Dorian guitar licks (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVVk2nQ5iO8_Y447zuo5aPkdIwe3hCbw-) for the guitarists as well :)

Here's an example ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7tqGB2aX-g&list=PLVVk2nQ5iO8_Y447zuo5aPkdIwe3hCbw-&feature=share

Hope that helps...

mixlikes
12-16-2017, 07:56 AM
Beautiful tone amazing use of chord as well heart touching beats.

essaymojo
06-13-2019, 09:12 AM
thanks for this