PDA

View Full Version : Oriental sounding songs

ProgBG
02-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey guys, I'm a big Prog- Metal Fan and like to know how to write these cool oriental eastern sounding things in songs like Egypt, Fallen, or Evolution of Symphony X or some things from Adagio or Outworld. I know they use quite a bit the harmonic minor scale in soloing, but what chords could I use as accompaniment? Thanks for help

KAYA BG

satch_master
02-14-2005, 08:28 PM
i think satch has got a song "oriental" melody" try that. marty friedman uses his oriental feel in his soloing.what chords? basically anythingid suppose. if ur gonna use harmonic minor then use minor chords.

Exdeath
02-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Either try the oriental scale (1), or the Phrygian Major (2) scale (both shown in A), they can get the work done if used properly.

E||----------------------------4-5--|----------------------------4-5--||
B||------------------------5-6------|------------------------5-6------||
G||--------------------6-7----------|------------------4-5-7----------||
D||--------------6-7-8--------------|--------------6-7----------------||
A||------4-5-7-8--------------------|--------5-7-8--------------------||
E||--5-6----------------------------|--5-7-8--------------------------||

Oriental Scale Formula: - 1 - - - 1 - - 1
Phrygian Major Formula: - 1 - - 1 - - 1 - 1

Los Boleros
02-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Alot of oriental melodies derive from pentatonic. For the authentic sound you would need to tune slightly different.

Los Boleros
02-14-2005, 10:48 PM
The most popular use of the harmonic minor is over the V7 chord (The dominant chord) of a Minor scale. So if you want to use A Harmonic minor, the chord would be E7. You could also use the Harmonic minor over the Am chord but with the G# used as a leading tone to the A. Harmonic minor can be used in Secondary Dominant chords as well.

satch_master
02-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Either try the oriental scale (1), or the Phrygian Major (2) scale (both shown in A), they can get the work done if used properly.

E||----------------------------4-5--|----------------------------4-5--||
B||------------------------5-6------|------------------------5-6------||
G||--------------------6-7----------|------------------4-5-7----------||
D||--------------6-7-8--------------|--------------6-7----------------||
A||------4-5-7-8--------------------|--------5-7-8--------------------||
E||--5-6----------------------------|--5-7-8--------------------------||

Oriental Scale Formula: - 1 - - - 1 - - 1
Phrygian Major Formula: - 1 - - 1 - - 1 - 1
that is cool stuff, the the oriental one is new to me but i will incorporate it into my playing. the second one the "phrgian major scale" just looks and sounds like a harm minor to me. or is it? is it just a mode of the harm minor.

satch_master
02-15-2005, 01:33 AM
The most popular use of the harmonic minor is over the V7 chord (The dominant chord) of a Minor scale. So if you want to use A Harmonic minor, the chord would be E7. You could also use the Harmonic minor over the Am chord but with the G# used as a leading tone to the A. Harmonic minor can be used in Secondary Dominant chords as well. yeah i was always wondering why an E sounds good over a A harm min scale. now you explained it your jargon. so a 5 th is good to use as a 7th chord over the root. ill remeber that. god my theory sucks.

Los Boleros
02-15-2005, 01:50 AM
yeah i was always wondering why an E sounds good over a A harm min scale. now you explained it your jargon. so a 5 th is good to use as a 7th chord over the root. ill remeber that. god my theory sucks.Yes, the 5 of Am scale is Diatonically Em7. You would normally use Em7 in the middle of a progression where you are not looking for a Cadence. At the end of a part, the Cadence of the Dominant chord gives it finality. that's where E7 and the A Harmonic minor scale rule.

Factor
02-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Hey guys, I'm a big Prog- Metal Fan and like to know how to write these cool oriental eastern sounding things in songs like Egypt, Fallen, or Evolution of Symphony X or some things from Adagio or Outworld. I know they use quite a bit the harmonic minor scale in soloing, but what chords could I use as accompaniment? Thanks for help

KAYA BG
While I don't know those songs, I think it will help to listen to some real authentic oriental/asian music. At first though, you can check out the soundtracks to those kung-fu movies ("Hero" comes to mind, along with "Sleeping tiger ...")

You could even ask you local librarian (if you have a music departement there) for some chinese or japanese folk music.

wild_child
02-17-2005, 01:34 PM
the second one the "phrgian major scale" just looks and sounds like a harm minor to me. or is it? is it just a mode of the harm minor.

That's correct. It's mode V of harmonic minor. I believe in an eastern context, it's known as Hitzaz or something like that.

ProgBG
02-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi
Thanks for all your replies. The oriental scale is new to me but if you lower the seventh grad you have the HM5 scale. I heard about that secondary dominant thing. Got to ask my guitar teacher 'bout that. I'll check these Kung Fu movies out. You're right Factor to listen to this music should help. Thanks again

KAYA BG

oRg
03-22-2005, 09:30 PM
I had the same problem when learning some Nile songs. For those of you who don't know Nile is an egyptian-theme, progressive death metal band. Very talented guys and Karl Sanders makes some incredible music, not only with Niel but his solo record it truly the closest thing I've heard to "westernized" Egyptian music.

One thing he does do alot is he tends to use the Harmonic Minor and the Phrygian Dominant alot. Not to mention you can get some very arabic sounding licks with the diminished scale. I'll upload some when I get a chance to record them but right now I'm way to busy and all my recording stuff is over at a friends house.