PDA

View Full Version : Rolling technique in sweeping

JpEvhAf
12-25-2002, 03:20 AM
I read the articles by Eric (I believe Eric wrote them) on sweep picking, but i'm still a bit confused about this rolling technique for sweeping notes on the same fret. does anyone have a different explanation or maybe a visual of this. Thanks.

szulc
12-25-2002, 03:49 AM
Sweeping notes on the same fret is the most difficult thing to do with sweeping. It doesn't seem like it should be, but it is.
This is really learning to vary the pressure from string to string, so the string you are presently picking is the one that sounds and the others are actually muted by the release of pressure. The effect is as though you are bending your finger backwards curved away from the fretboard (Thus the term 'rolling'). Just practice picking across one fret sweeping up and down. As you move to the next string release the pressure on the previous string. This seems like 'rolling' the finger across the fretboard, you really need to do this whether or not you are sweeping or alternating picking. It is a muting technique specific to same finger, same fret, multiple string ideas.
Similar muting techniques should be part of your playing style to mute adjacent strings when fretting. This is very important when playing with lots of gain and at high volumes. Various parts of the right hand can also be used for this but only used when the left hand can not do it alone.

JpEvhAf
12-25-2002, 09:26 PM
OK. Thanks. I think I understand it now.

Francis
12-26-2002, 11:00 PM
Here is What John PETRUCCI says about sweeping and the rolling technique
http://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/artists/1996/9609.petrucci.html