PDA

View Full Version : Need help reading rhythms/ syncopation

mikey_ec
01-13-2005, 10:01 AM
First off, I’m really happy to have found this great site. My over all playing has really improved a lot just by reading all the interesting topics here in the forums and the many articles to be had. I think I’ve finally reached a point where I would really like to take off and get to know more my instrument.

My main area of concern is my sight-reading skills which really suck to death. :( I can read basic pitches and rhythms but when it comes to dotted notes and ties I’m having problems. Is there any practice method or way I can practice my sight reading skills especially reading rhythms? I’m on my own, I don’t have a teacher and rely mostly on the net for great free resource (Ibreathemusic.com thanks!) :D So please please help guys!

I’ve downloaded the Art of Improvisation already from this site (Told ya this is a great site) great reading and lots of ideas I picked up but since you have to have basic understanding of reading music, I felt NOW is the RIGHT time to brush up on my sight-reading skills. Downloaded also the sight reading jazz/ rhythm exercises module hoping this might help.

phantom
01-13-2005, 10:10 AM
hey there,

yeah, great place isn't it! i just wish i would be lying on the beach while surfing ibreathe.. ;).

for sightreading easy to intermediate stuff you can try "the real book" and pick out tunes with less sharps and flats. you'll get a whole bunch of that there i guess. rhytmreading wise there it won't be too hard as well, plus, you'll learn cool melodies and not just practice exercises!

i hope that helps a bit.

mikey_ec
01-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Hi Phantom! sorry but uhh...not quite sure what you mean by "the real book" :confused: is this uhh...one of those free downloads on the net u talkin about?? :p pardon my ignorance.

phantom
01-13-2005, 12:43 PM
take a look here (http://www.shermusic.com/newrbv1.htm)

;)

spookywooky
04-05-2005, 02:02 PM
reading rythms is hard when the divisions start getting smaller/more complex. i have a few suggestions:

a) find a drummer and get him to show you a few things with regards to what you find difficult
b) slow it right down and just count it out till you get a feal for how it sounds
c) have a shot at it, then punch it into powertab and see how close you were.

(the only problem with c is that powertab can something make rythms just slightly.. 'funny')

urm.. hope that helps somewhat :)

Mateo150
04-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I worked out of this book "Rhythmic Training" by Robert Starer... Its really cheap. Like 6 bucks. no notes, just rhythms... Usually on 2 staves.... and I would drum these out with my left/right hands. It helped me read the ties and so on..

P.S. - for the piano players, this was part of my left/right hand coordination development my teacher outlined for me.