PDA

View Full Version : Pentatonic Neutral

ashc
01-07-2005, 01:53 PM
I was looking at this page for some scale stuff.

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html

I noticied "pentatonic neutral" scale. It's defined there as 1,2,4,5,b7. I guess the idea here is by avoiding the 3rd you have some kind of no bad notes almost anything in A (except on the major 7) kind of scale... so great on a dominant blues maybe, but no 3rd to bend between sounds a bit bland in that case?

In practice this means A pentatonic neutral is the same notes as Em pentatonic. I already knew that you can always safely (if not successfully) use the IV and V rooted pentatonics (pent substitution) so this is part of that idea i.e. Am, Dm, Em pents can be used over Am...

So, is this "neutral" idea unique to this website or has anyone seen it before?

UKRuss
01-07-2005, 02:04 PM
..and Bminor pent.

check the reply to the post I did below this thread on MattBlacks Modes...again.

Where I pointed him in the direction of Chirs J's great improv. bible guide.

Actually wouldn't mind your views on what I suggested for his progression based on what I've learnt from Chris's stuff.

Not heard of the "neutral" one before though, interesting stuff.

ashc
01-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Oh yes, Bmin pent is good too.. of course you can just use the diatonic minor scale. :D

must read ChrisJ's article and that thread. Not sure I'm qualified to comment though....

UKRuss
01-07-2005, 03:09 PM
..and Dorian and Phrygian!!

So many options, so little time.

mattblack850
01-07-2005, 04:35 PM
..and Dorian and Phrygian!!

So many options, so little time.
You're just showing off now!!!!:D :D :D :p

UKRuss
01-07-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm starting to get the hang of it...applying them is a different matter entirely..

But it's given me a whole load of new stuff to practice and at least attempt to integrate.

Craig Bassett
01-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Hey UKRuss!

That's a great sounding pentatonic. As well as what you've mentioned, it's got a couple of other names...

1. The Suspended Pentatonic.
2. The Egyptian Pentatonic.

One place I tend to use it a lot is over Dom7sus4, Dom9sus4, Dom13sus4 chords etc.(In a jazz blues style).

The actual notes of the pentatonic are the same as a Dom9sus4 chord...so I guess that's why it works so well over it!

All the best,

Craig.

UKRuss
01-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Actually I think it was Ash that first brought it up...

But yes, I see why it works over the sus 4 chords, no 3rd giving it that neutral feel. No 3rd in the scale.

Quiote a lot of tension in there but that's jazz I guess

Could it work over the sus2 style chords , I guess it will.

That might sound a bit more resolved. My rock ears are aching for resolution!

Sir Speedy
01-09-2005, 02:32 AM
Hmmm... Mixolydian works on Dominant Sus chords almost exclusively, ( E9sus 4 , A.k.a D/E)

The pentatonic is going to have a major kind of sound to it , i'd say.:cool:
________
Classy***** live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Classy*****)

ashc
01-12-2005, 11:56 AM
After Craigs comment, I tried this scale over the famous phantom Esus4 / Bbsus4 track in practice using Bmin (E neutral) and Fm (Bb neutral) pentatonics and it was OK. Sven had already suggested Dmaj pent for the Esus4, i.e. rel major of Bmin pent, so this all fits together quite nicely...