PDA

View Full Version : polyrhythms and displaced accidentals

snufeldin
12-17-2002, 04:23 AM
Another Greg Howe question,

On a website there was a image of a Greg Howe lesson and it was titled "Polyrhythyms and Displaced Accidentals." I kind of understand it, but need some clarification. The only way I can describe this is with a picture so here I go:
Normally to play a chromatic scale (not a complete one) I'd play it like this (with the emphasis on 4):

-4-3-2-1---------------------------------
-----------4-3-2-1------------------------
----------------------4-3-2-1-------------

However, I think following the displaced accidentals thing I'd do this in triplets:

1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3
-4-3-2-1---------------------------------
-----------4-3-2-1------------------------
----------------------4-3-2-1-------------

Hopefully that makes sense.
I was wondering if there are other ways to divide it up besides into triplets.

I've attached the lesson and he gives a cool example with arpeggios, which I think he does a lot in his songs. If you guys could clarify this or give more examples I'd really appreciate it.

snufeldin

szulc
12-17-2002, 05:04 AM
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149&highlight=displacement

It took me a while to load this and then I understood your question. The term is Accent displacement not Accidental Displacement. The above thread is one I started several months ago about this topic.

snufeldin
12-17-2002, 08:58 PM
thank you so much,
good stuff

Guni
12-17-2002, 09:18 PM
hi snufeldin,

I edited your image - still viewable but will load a lot quicker - hope that's fine with you.

Guni

snufeldin
12-17-2002, 09:25 PM
Guni,

No problem... oh and this is by far the best guitar site on the internet.

Szulc,
This is a very interesting topic... maybe you could make an entire lesson where you go very in depth, I'd at least like to see it.

Guni
12-17-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by snufeldin
Guni,

No problem... oh and this is by far the best guitar site on the internet.

Szulc,
This is a very interesting topic... maybe you could make an entire lesson where you go very in depth, I'd at least like to see it. Thanks man.

Ha, and szulc's dream finally coming true :D. How about it, James?

Thanks

Guni

szulc
12-17-2002, 10:40 PM
I put that one in my post winter shutdown cue.
I am prestently preparing for winter shutdown work at an automotive plant. That means I won't have any days (including weekends) off until early January.
I am in the busiest part of the year at the moment so my tme is limited. In January I'll have time to do this.

snufeldin
12-18-2002, 12:28 AM
I will be looking forward to it

szulc
12-18-2002, 12:38 AM
How about replying to the thread with the 'cool stuff ' in it with questions or comments to help me with the future article?

EricV
12-31-2003, 12:22 PM
Well, I found this older thread, and figured I shoudl post some TAB I once made up for a lesson... this one has some basic examples of accent displacement.
The rhythm git is playing a static E5 in straight 8th notes, with an accent on the 1 and 3.
The lead guitar is playing either sequenced runs or repeating patterns in groups of 5... so each segment of the sequence and each repeating pattern consists of 5 notes instead of 4 or 8.
But we´re not playing quintuplets, we´re playing straight 16ths. So the accent is being displaced, and that adds an interesting sound to it. Marty Friedman used to do this quite a bit, especially the first lick ( sequenced Em pentatonic ) is typical for some of his playing.
These are some basic ideas you can work on and go into more advanced stuff from there.
Eric

SeattleRuss
12-31-2003, 06:12 PM
Very cool Eric!
Rhythmic displacement is something that someone could work on forever I think. It's funny, recently, after transcribing a few of the licks that I'd been playing a long time, I noticed that I had been doing it unconciously and only noticed it upon analysis of what I had written down. I was like, "woah....I didn't know I could do that!"

Russ
http://www.russletson.com

szulc
01-01-2004, 12:04 AM
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/101