PDA

View Full Version : Meet Daz...

Darron
12-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Hello to you all, I'm Daz.

I'm 30 and have had a guitar for about 3yrs now - although to be honest I've only really been trying to learn for about a year. I've had some lessons, but all I really got from that was a bunch of disjointed theory (good guitarist, but poor teacher). I know its going to be longer and harder but I'm going to have a crack at teaching myself.

For the curious, I have quite varied music tastes - I'm more of a fan of good songs than artists themselves but if I had to quote a few guitar influences I would have to say Randy Rhodes, Zak Wylde, Mike Oldfield, Toni Iommi, Slash and Joe Satriani (yeah I know, the usual suspects). As far as musical styles go, my iPod's got Metallica, Sabbath, Magadeth, Maiden at one end and Jonny Cash, Rufus Wainright, Mansun (that's the English band, NOT Marlyn Manson), Chemical Brothers and The Doors at the other. With Audioslave, Velvet Revolver, Guns and Roses, The Sisters of Mercy and Red hot Chilli Peppers filling out some of the middle. But by far my 'most listened to' has to be Black Sabbath and some of Ozzy's solo stuff.

As for my gear, I have:

* A Squire 'stagemaster' and an Encore Gibson SG 'Gothic' (the SG is my favourate because the fretboard feels more comfortable, even if I do have trouble with balancing it on it's strap!)

* A Marshal vs15r 'Valvestate'

* A Zoom 505 effects pedal and a Boss GT-3 (the latter I inherited from a friend and I haven't got a clue what it does or how it works!)

* I've also got GarageBand on this iBook, I hope at some point in the future to experiment with that and do some home recording.

Why do I want to play Guitar? ultimately, I guess I want to perform. Not as a career (hell, I'm 30 and only just starting - I missed that boat!), more for my own enjoyment. Possibly in a pub/tribute band or something, I think that's a realistic expectation.

Well, I think that's probably more information than you were really interested in so I'll say goodbye for now and I look forward to plundering this site and it's forum (and your good selves) for all the help and insight I can get (I know for sure, I'm gonna need it!).

Cheers

Daz

rmuscat
12-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Daz welcome to ibreathe!

Nice stuff on your ipod!

Teachers can be a real problem, just last saturday i had to tell my teacher some hard stuff about his lessons and playing.

I know i'm an as**ole. But i was honest and diplomatic.

I kinda put it straight that if he doesn't intend to make his lessons challenging and fix his playing (he's out of practice) i would have to find someone else.

Anyway i wish you all the luck with you guitar playing, hope to see ya on the boards and share some knowledge.

Koala
12-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Welcome Daz, you didnīt miss the boat. Theres no age for this stuff. welcome to the boards!

Terrafirma
03-25-2005, 08:40 PM
man, its never too late, i mean, look at guys from staind, the look 45!!! and they're superstars!

=Bob=
03-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Welcome! I'm new too, so not much else to say. Stay with it!
=Bob=

Arpetude
03-25-2005, 10:51 PM
welcome:)

as long as you have the passion for the music . you WILL achieve anything.

Factor
03-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Hi and welcome!

I love Mike Oldfield as well, but I've never really considered him from a guitarists perspective. I dig the orchestral albums like Ommadawn and Tubular Bells.

What's your favourite?