PDA

View Full Version : Question for Los Boleros

aaeolean
11-14-2004, 06:19 AM
Hey, it's me...

Just thought I'd ask this question in here seing as how there might be some insightful discussion to follow.

Los Boleros, I was just on your site and was very interested in your music that the band plays. Ok....I've always loved lating music and although I don't own much I've always had fun "jamming" it with other musicians.

Here's what I know (or think I know), I was just wondering if you could add some more insight for me/us.

1. One of the most common preogressions is: vi, V, IV, III(maj)
2. I usually use harmonic minor to improvise over this progression
- Progression Em, D, C, B........ I would play E harmonic minor
- I try to throw some dim arps. I usually think Cdim7

As you can see, I don't really have much of an arsenal here. I'm not looking to shred or anything, just come up with some cool lines, and........ok......maybe a bit of shredding.

Ahhh, that's about it.

BEN

Los Boleros
11-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Hey, it's me...

Just thought I'd ask this question in here seing as how there might be some insightful discussion to follow.

Los Boleros, I was just on your site and was very interested in your music that the band plays. Ok....I've always loved lating music and although I don't own much I've always had fun "jamming" it with other musicians.

Here's what I know (or think I know), I was just wondering if you could add some more insight for me/us.

1. One of the most common preogressions is: vi, V, IV, III(maj)
2. I usually use harmonic minor to improvise over this progression
- Progression Em, D, C, B........ I would play E harmonic minor
- I try to throw some dim arps. I usually think Cdim7

As you can see, I don't really have much of an arsenal here. I'm not looking to shred or anything, just come up with some cool lines, and........ok......maybe a bit of shredding.

Ahhh, that's about it.

BEN1. Alot of Latin evolves around the Cadence of the I and the V.(actually I see this an all music style) Sometimes there is a non diatonic chord thrown into the mix, but if you look at it from a different angle, You can sometimes think of it as the same cadence in a different key. Example: In the key if E minor, sometimes the E becomes a E7 before going to A minor. In that case I just think of it as A harmonic minor and the E7 is now the V and the A minor the I.

2. Yes Those are the most common uses of the harmonic minor and Diminished but there are others. You could use the Edim7 over the E minor or over the C.

Here's a little line that includes E diminished and E harmonic minor over the C,B (half cadence) of that progression.

I----0-2-3-5-6-5-3---2-3-2--------2-----
I-------------------5-------5-4-5--------
I-------------------------------------4---
I-----------------------------------------
I-----------------------------------------
I----------------------------------------