PDA

View Full Version : Got my tickets to see Cachao in SF

Los Boleros
10-29-2004, 10:24 PM
This is not really a thread but I thought I would put this out there because the legendary Upright Bassist from Cuba, Cachao (http://music.channel.aol.com/artist/main.adp?artistid=3232) is getting real old and this could be a last chance the great master.

Saturday Night, Oct 30th , Gift center, San Francisco

CaChao!
Rudy

LuisSavesTheDay
10-31-2004, 03:14 PM
embarassed to say this, but never heard of the guy. Have fun, and tell us all about it!

Koala
10-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Los Boleros I bet itīs gonna be a great show, I actually had a chance to meet up with Cachao one morning for breakfast while he was here with BVSC, heīs a great guy and a fantastic musician.

hope ya have fun!

Los Boleros
11-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Oh My God! What an incredible show. It started with the band coming out and getting their instruments ready and then they announced Cachao. He came out with a stroller to help him walk and his assistant clearing the path for him. He is 86 years old now. once he got to his bass, he seemed to have no problems at all standing on his own. The shear virtuosity was amazing! He held that bass like it was just a toy for him. The whole time he played with his Bow in his hand. He did alot of playing with just one hand whether it was the right or the left and he also used his bow to hit the strings. He led the band with his free hand.
Talk about Dynamics! He would bring down the orchestra to a whisper and venture through interesting instrumental passaged but then he would kick it up and lay down the beat. You know what kind. Tumbao. The place went Crazy. I was in the very front and I was squished in by the passionate dancers. The Trombone was super all though I did not get his name. Nelson Gonzalez played the Tres Cubano. Interestingly he ran his guitar through a Marshal head. (I'mm gonna try that). I encourage anybody that plays the bass and is into Classical Grooves and the origins of dance music, to get a CD of Cachao. Especially Master Sessions I. This is a must have for your collection for sure.