PDA

View Full Version : Musical eras of your life. Now and then.

Los Boleros
10-29-2004, 10:14 PM
I think it would be interesting to hear about the changes in ones musical direction through the years. Are people still playing the same music after say ten or fifteen years?

Zatz
10-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Me moving from jazz/classic rock to pop music :D

Seriously what I have discovered over the years of playing is that you gotta get rid of the prejudices that prevent you from perceiving Music that is knocking on your mind's door and search hard to explore the new hidden worlds to build up your Taste.

Zatz.

sugarbee
10-30-2004, 01:22 AM
I think in a lot of ways I have changed, but there are also lots of ways I have stayed the same. There have been periods in my life where I have performed rock, pop, blues, jazz and one of my favorite times, traditional irish music. As a singer it's so helpful to have the chance to perform such different styles. I don't think there has ever been a time in my life where I stuck to one genre, I'm happy to be able to hop around with my influences. When I wanna belt and get creative, I jam with blues players, man, it's so fun to wail the blues, when I want to emote differently, I sit at my piano and wallow in a heavy ballad. And boys, I can rock out with the best of them when I want to!:cool: ;)
But in a way there are issues with that too, I have no idea where I would fit genre wise as a performer doing my own songs. I get comparisons and I know where a lot of my influences come from, but I am uncomfortable putting a lable on what style I am so I try to avoid it. BUt for me, you have to cover as much of the musical board as you can. There's so much great stuff out there. As much as we complain about bad stuff there's awesome stuff too. And as far as I am concerned, when you have a few fabulous friends, who needs acquaintences?

Los Boleros
10-30-2004, 03:38 AM
Ok here aI go:

At the age of nine my biggest influence was my Dad. When ever there was a party, There was much alcohol and the grownups all laughed and had a party all the time. When they were good and drung, they would start singing Spanish Boleros. I practiced the guitar so I could get in front of them and play the classic songs from their Youth.

At the age of fourteen My cousing came down from Chicago Illinois to stay with us. He was 17 and had an Electric guitar. His band played thin lizzy, Queen, Robin Trower and he could play it all well. I vowed to be as good as him someday. Got my Les Paul Copy and started with lessons. I was Convinced that the teachers were not great I dropped all my lessons and began reading. (The study of Counnterpoint by Joseph Fux and Practical study of Harmony by Tchaicoski)

I was 18 when Eddie Van Halen made the cover of Guitar Player Magazine for the first time. The songs were really chunky and koOol but I wandered what the hell was that instrument playing the solos. It was heavy Rock for the next 5 years. I remember Going Crazy over Igwie Malsteen and working on my fast appegios and rakes turm my wrists hurt. I was totaly facsinated by arpegios and melodies. Went to see Yngwie one day when I was 21 and after the second song I became bored. It seemed like just too much of the same thing. Or was I changing?

Got married at 23 and had my first kid at 25. I was losing interest in the whole hard rock thing as MTV was starting to introduce a more World sound. Played in an originals band and the format was one guitar, a multi keys drumms bass and a vocalist that could sing in high registers. It seemed to me that we practiced too much and didnt gig enough.

It was the 70's all over again and there was a big need for bands that played disco and funk. I was 24 and the band was the Riff Ratts. The band was freakin awsome with killer vocals the drummer and bass player from hell and My guitar playing was probably the weakest link but I was surrounded by talent. That got old after a while. I did it for about 12 years.

At the age of 35 I took up playing soccer on a regular basis and I met a guy from Equadore. He became my guitar student but after a short while I realized that he was a super singer. We listened to buena vista social club and we knew that this was our veine. Damm, I was back to my roots after all that. A few years ago I aquired my very first Tres Cubano and learned the instrument from scratch. Wasnt hard. This is my new instrument the Tres Cubano and my new Group Los Boleros is playing Tumbao Rhythms, Boleros, Pasios, Waltz all that folkloric stuff. I am in the studio now recording a track for a TV Commercial that will get airplay across the US. Now I finally make decent money with music and have alot of room for improv. I have finally found my self. or have I?

All in all there are somethings in my life that never changed. I have always searched for melodies that jump in and out of key without being obvious, I have devoted my life to the study of what makes melodies beautiful in real time. I have always strived to be the musician that played nothing but gold whether improvising or playing out something that I wrote.
I am now 41 years Young!

aaeolean
10-30-2004, 10:36 PM
OK, I don't want to make this too long but when I started out I was 15 (I'm 27 now) and all I wanted to play was Megadeth. That's right baby......if they didn't exist I probably would not have been motivated to play at all.

Mom said heavy metal was a phase that I was going through. Guess what mom? It's 12 years later and I have a gig tonight. We're a metal band called The Orchard and tonight we're headlining a big Halloween show.

Pretty much at the same time I started I picked up an acoustic guitar. I have always loved fingerpicking (hence the thumb-pick avatar). I remember when I was younger I had this overpowering urge to pick one or the other. Metal or fingerpicking. What a choice. It always bugged me 'cause I knew if I was to be good at either one I would have to dedicate more time to it.

I never did choose between the 2 and guess what? I've got my regular gig at a restaurant in town tonight. So after 12 years I still haven't decided what to do. Actually I guess I've decided to do both. It's going to be quite a night. I'll probably start my acoustic set with something in DADGAD......then a few hours later I'll be banging my head to power chords.

I think I've stayed pretty much the same as far as that goes but there has been a few changes in me. I've changed my picking technique quite a few times. I like SRV now, which is way better than when i didn't. I have a lot less hair now. I'm more open to different styles of music.

Well this has gone on too too long. Was I just rambling?? Oh well, Happy Halloween from Canada!!

BEN

oRg
10-31-2004, 02:12 AM
I wouldn't say my musical tastes have changed directions but more so have broadened. When I first picked up guitar the entire reason I picked it up was to learn how to play some Metallica. Even though I've kinda grown out of them, Metallica is the band that basically got me started on guitar. From there I basically listened to a local rock & roll radio station and learned whatever I heard on the radio. I learned stuff from Metallica, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Ozzy Osbourne, etc etc. I guess at that point in time I just wanted to be able to rock out.

Well as time went on my taste for heavy metal got skewed a little and I started liking bands like KoRN, Godsmack, Slipknot, etc etc. Though they definitely didn't compete with Metallica technically i just liked the music and still just wanted to rock out and become famous...lol. I knew nothing about music theory at all.

Later on I was introduced to a band called MuDvAyNe which implemented polyrhythms into their playing and I thought it was kind of cool. Then...here comes Meshuggah which TOTALLY revolutionized the way I think about music and heavy metal. I really liked the things the lead guitarist did and I figured I'd check out some of his influences. Well turns out he was heavily influenced by Allan Holdsworth. Well i started getting into a little bit of Jazz fusion. At the same time I also learned about Buckethead and this is when I came across the terms "Quadratonal Apreggios and min9th arpeggios". I learned his influence was Shawn Lane. Well one thing lead to another and through countless searches I came across Jason Becker, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Morse, George Lynch, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Michael Angelo, Francesco Fareri, Rusty Cooley, etc etc.

Well right now with the help of some friends here on IBM I've been able to learn about 12-tone music and serialism....basically chromatics with a mathematical pattern and very specific rules. Now I've been working on pretty much writing music for heavy metal using these ideas and concepts. I mainly use them to bring something new and fresh to heavy metal. Now my knowledge of music theory has expanded...though it's not as broad as some, I'm consistently working on understanding more and getting more technically profficient.
My musical nowadays consists of free-style improv jazz, dusion, metal, 50's-80's rock and blues, classical music, symphonic and orchestral music, chamber music, Buckethead (he's so diverse he needs his own genre...lol), and serialism which is classical music but more modern.

fortymile
10-31-2004, 03:02 AM
these threads are so fun. ya just get to talk about yourself. here then, briefly...

i was amusical growing up. liked certain songs on the radio but grew up without a musical identity. the thing that kept me away from identifying with anyone was that it all seemed so fake. my interest was on the level of the song, and thats it. i didnt like these people who were arguing that zztop killed madonna or that van halen was the only band you should listen to.

i was 18 before i went consciously looking for something to identify with. someone that summer gave me a tape with three grateful dead songs (the only three i really like by them to this day) and it started there. by fall, i commanded my friend to get me into something cool and he recommended danzig (the first album). that was my fall soundtrack. nirvana was out that year too and they immediately became my favorite band. i also listened to the chili peppers (uplift mofo) soundgarden (badmotorfinger) and nine inch nails that fall/winter. and i became totally hooked on indian ragas. sitar/tabla music is something i'd like to get into one day--like actually learn to play the sitar. explore those foreign scales.

spring came around and i came around to pearl jam's first album. that one stayed with me a whole year (i never followed them after that--they became a different band). i found ministry that spring too. that fall alice in chains put out dirt--still one of my all time favorites. and that winter stone temple pilots had thier first release. somewhere in here i found the pixies too. i liked the melody and intensity of all this stuff, and that was just what rock meant to me. i didnt care so much about proficiency, it was all in the songwriting and energy. i stayed pretty much in this general area thereafter but never moved into any post-grunge because it seemed incredibly hollow. its sometimes now hard to find things that turn me on in the right way, but i'm always looking and writing. the last real band to do it to me was probably 'at the drive in.'

so, though i seem to have prejudices with rock music now (i just *really* know what i'm looking for in rock) i have an open mind with film scores and orchestral and instrumental music, and i'm quite into that sort of thing. got some favorite composers.

anyway, of course you leave a lot of stuff out in a thread like this. i have an acoustic side and i really dug beck's last album. a good progressive album i got into this summer was the fire theft's release.

JohnJumper
10-31-2004, 03:27 AM
Over the years I have had a LOT of different musical interests and influences. As a child my dad used to listen to classical and folk (John Denver, Lovin' Spoonfuls and other similar stuff) so that is what I listened to. I remeber him having friends over for folk music type jam session and he would let me and my sister play pecussive type instruments with them.

In the fourth and fifth grade I was all into Kiss as were all my friends. I started playing piano around that time mainly clasical and ragtime. Athough I was into Kiss I still listened to clasical.

In the sixth grade and junior high I started playing trumpet and was in jazz band all the way into high school. Although I was playing in jazz band, my personal music tastes were more in funk and rap (early 80's rap not the hard stuff they have now). In high school I started listening to Genisis and more progressive rock stuff.

As I graduated from high school and went to college I really got into the Beatles along with more progressive rock (Yes and Marrillion). I started playing guitar early in my senior year in high school so this is the type of music I was playing. I learned a lot of Beatles and Elvis stuff...I also started listening and playing blues and spent many a Friday and Saturday night in all night free form jam sessions with a drummer friend and bass player.

In college I joined a couple of bands that mainly focused on progressive rock style with some Beatles stuff in there. We used to just have real long jam sessions - one tune would go fo 30 minutes. I then graduated and went into the military where I met a guy named Jim Wintermyer who introduced me to Steve Vai and Eric Johnson as well as taught me some classical guitar.

I moved to Colorado and got real heavy into jazz. during those years I studied both jazz and classical guitar with instructors. Then all of a sudden I became interested in Celtic (mainly Irish) music. I took whistle lessons for a few years and am now back studying guitar and trying to record some music.

Wow...Typing that all out makes me realize my musical experience is a jumbled mess of mish-mash...

Gunnan
10-31-2004, 10:18 PM
I have been playing guitar for about 3 years now, thats also about how long I have been in love with music.

I started out with bands like Sublime, Zep, Floyd, Hendrix ( gypsy/experience)

From there I went on to clapton, allman brothers, lynyrd skynyrd, SRV

from there I went to BB king and Albert king and the Grateful Dead

I still listen to all the guitarists mentioned on an almost daily basis, but in the half year or so I have realy started to appreciate miles davis, thelonious monk, and joe pass. Kind of Blue, For Django, and the songs of monks that I have downloaded are just so pleasing I cant describe it :)

Los Boleros
11-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Good stuff guys, Keep it flowing!

Los Boleros
03-03-2005, 06:05 AM
I am gonna bump this one up to the top since we got some newer members.

snufeldin
03-03-2005, 06:39 AM
15- Classic rock stuff, pretty vague, just messed around, main instrument was the trumpet
16- Shred, really liked steve vai and joe satriani
17- Started to like SRV, Joe Bonamassa, and other blues guys and Greg Howe because he mixed the shred with the bluesy stuff... also started to like Coldplay, Radiohead, and U2
18- I don't really know. My favorites: Coldplay, Radiohead, Spoon, Sigur Ros, singer songwriters, lots of funk, got more into jazz.
19- There is just so much now... I guess add a lot of acoustic finger picking/slap stuff... it's rough spreading your time out with not only tons of genres but also with other instruments (voice and piano).

EricV
03-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Seriously what I have discovered over the years of playing is that you gotta get rid of the prejudices that prevent you from perceiving Music that is knocking on your mind's door and search hard to explore the new hidden worlds to build up your Taste.
I aree to that completely. I grew up listening to the music my uncle ( who was more of a bigger brother to me, since he used to live with us ). He listened to artists / bands like AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Billy Idol, Foreigner, but also listened to pop ( Alphaville, Toto, Chicago etc. )
So when I was about 10, I was used to listen to some different styles of music. How I got into the guitar I explained elsewhere, but in a nutshell, these songs did it for me:
- "Jump" by VH ( the videoclip and the song )
- "Little Wing" by Jimi H. ( that obscure live version I described )
- "People Get Ready" by Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck
- "Always With You..." by Satch
- "Top Gun Anthem" by Steve Stevens
and some other tunes. I think Dave Gilmours soloing on the "Wall" album was some influence as well, since my uncle and some guy in the neighbourhood listened to it a lot ( that neighbour used to listen to it every night,and I sometimes woke up at night during the summer, opened the window of my room and heard it from his house )

At first, I was very much into rock-and metalbands. AC/DC, Maiden, Scorpions, Van Halen, Sabbath.
And for the first 2-3 years I stuck to that. Even after that, when puberty started to kick in, that was the music I was listening to most of the time. I think it fit my mood and attitude very well... you know, the agression and power.
For some reason, I was also listening to a lot of blues then, because I thought you had to as a guitarist. I enjoyed that music as well, and a lot of my time was spent trying to improvise over "Key To The Highway", "Before You Accuse Me", and others
My first "real" teacher was playing guitar in some cover band. A top 40 band actually. And I was looking up to him and admiring him. So when I went to the shows of his band, I didnt only see him play stuff like "Jump" or "Another Brick..." but also pop-tunes. And for some reason, I considered that cool, too.

The lessons with him took place in the rehearsal room oif his band. He picked me up at the railway station, and drove us there. And while we were driving, he always played some music from some tape in the car.
So we were driving down the road at light speed, listening to Toto, Prince etc.
To make a long story short, I learned that you can get out of the "only metal and rock is cool" type of rut ( I assume some of you know what I mean ), and taught me songs by Prince, Chicago and others. Mad3e me listen to them as well.
And that inspired me to step out of the boundaries and listen to whatever I liked.
FOr a while, I was into instrumental rock a lot, but youd always catch me listening to the "Purple Rain" album or "Fahrenheit" or whatever. Also started to explore the influences of some of my favorite players, like DP, Led Zeppelin and others
Then, I got into a Top40 band ( I was about 16 or 17 ) which also played some popular older songs, and there we played tunes like "The One And Only" by Chesney Hawkes ( anyone remember that one ?!? ), "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles, "Centerfold" by J.Geils, "The Morning Paper" by Prince amo.

At the GIT, I got in touch with even more music. Started to love funk, soul, r&b, and more.
And ever since, I have pretty much completely stopped setting boundaries to my listening behaviour. If I feel like it, I can spend an evening listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd, Miles Davis, Racer X, Tony Rice, Steve Morse, Sade, DT, Sigur Ros, Europe and others.
I also pick up iunfluences from all of those artists, in some way. I dissected a lot of songs over the years... whenever I liked one, I transcribed it and programmed a backing track for it. Like, a Sade-song one day, a Creed-song the next, and then a Europe-song or something by Metallica.
And I enjoy that a lot. Depending on my mood, I lsiten to whatever I feel like. I also like to try to get my students to "open up" and try some of that music. It sometimes take a while, but I have to smile when a student of mine, who has only been listening to punk for about 4 or 5 years suddenly asks me to teach him the theme of "Crushing Day" by Satriani, or the chords of "Emily" by Adam Green...
Way too long post, sorry
Eric

UKRuss
03-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Family music is such a powerful influence on us isn't it?

Trying to keep the post short (failed! LOL!) but I grew up with my Dad playing in a trad jazz band on the banjo. Listened to a lot of Big Bill Broonzy and the like. My Dad would also get the banjo out for family parties and singalongs and play standards like "green green grass of home" and some Formby banjo classics like "leaning on a lamppost" others I remember he used to play alot were "Hello Central, Give Me Doctor Jazz", "Darktown Strutters Ball", "I Wanna Girl" " I'm looking over a four leaf clover" some Max Bygraves classics etc. (apologies if the titles aren't quite right I was just a kid, but thats how I remember them)

But that belied his love of rock and roll which although he didn't play on the banjo he certainly listened to on the stereo.

Three bands that I remember moved me at aged 6 or 7 were these:

Deep Purple - Album Fireball
David Essex - Album Stardust
Creedence Clearwater Revival - various

By the time I was 8 or 9 I had moved into a serious Status Quo phase. I played "Whatever you Want" and "Rocking all Over the World" until the cassettes actually snapped.

From then on me and my sister went totally rock and metal crazy, Sabbath, Floyd, Zeppelin, AC/DC, UFO, MSG, Scorpions, Judas Priest, then later Ozzy, Van Halen, Kiss, ZZ Top ( How many times did we play Eliminator in our house?)

I went through a Rush phase, got into some UK Indie stuff, hippy stuff, Gong, The Cardiacs, went trhough a Jethro Tull phase (Aqualung, what an album)

I guess I stuck with that frame of reference until I was 19 really, rock was all and everything else was nothing.

By the time G n R were the biggest thing I was at Uni and rock died a sudden and tragic death.IMHO

I was lost in a world of mediocre guitar music, never had time for Grunge, never liked Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc. there were bright sparks of fun every now and then Chilli Peppers, Satriani etc. but generally...dirge.

Since then I have become more focused on expanding a little I suppose, I love the punkier US stuff, I love the Foo's, I have time for most things and can appreciate skill in everything.

I still don't do R&B, but then I suspect thats ok as it's not really my culture, doesnt mean I don't appreciate the skill though.

Now I listen to anything but don't mean I like it all, I guess I just realise I'll never recapture the passion for my music that was connected to my adolesence. :Like Eric said metal/Rock gave me an identity, that's who I was back then.

On the other hand, I put on AC/DC's "For Those About to Rock", headphones on, close my eyes, and I'm back with Angus and the guys, 1982, Hammersmith Odeon..yeeeeeaaaahhh!

Should add, Mod phase, Northern Soul, Merton Parkas, Purple Hearts, Who Revival, Small Faces..

Mid 20's Dub phase ( A little too much smoke...but dub is great for that:D )

Mateo150
03-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Reading all this is great, much nicer for me than reading archaic theory explanations, they make head hurt. What commercial are you recording Los B, so we can all keep our eyes open for it here in the States. What I'd like to read more about is your guy's personal experience with bands, gigs, etc. How you got into a band, High School pals, leaflet at school, an ad in the paper, and how you booked gigs, through a demo tape, word of mouth, people you knew, and so on. I've never been really good enough to play, starting to get better and can learn simpler songs reasonably quickly, so, I really wanna get a cover band going (what exactly is a top 40 band, a cover band playing the top 40 hits charts?), mostly GD genre since its easy fun, etc... oh yeah, I think live playing is where the music is at, so how much did you guys focus on recording vs. trying to find live environments to play in.

Ghost
03-04-2005, 12:50 AM
I grew up at a roller skating rink during the early-late 1980's, so Def Leppard, Van Halen, Michael Jackson, Top Gun Soundtrack, and Guns 'N' Roses were early influences on my life. My parents listened to The Beatles, Santana, The Temptations, etc. in that type of radio catagory which would be influences later on.

When I was in middle school and was moved to another skating rink my direction was going to rock/metal like Megadeth, Metallica, Scorpions, Primus, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC and Pink Floyd. That's thanks to my step-bro's for those influences. There's some grunge in the mix too, but it got old quick. Also transtition from air guitar to electric guitar period of my life. That was rough.

In high school (early-late 1990's) I got into harder music like Slayer (Divine Intervention was a shock to the system, not a good intro to Slayer for me), Sepultura, Pantera, Fear Factory, Entombed, and Lunachicks.

By the time I graduated from high school I was enjoying more music and influences such as Tori Amos, Scott Joplin's music, classical, punk, old school rap, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Sountracks (Blues Brothers), Joe Satrini, and it just keeps growing.

Now it's old favorites like Megadeth and Metallica, Led Zeppelin, and new discoverys or rediscoverys like Steve Vai, Zakk Wylde, Ray Charles, Carlos Santana, video game music (Silent Hill 3), teachers and i could go on and on.
Probably why I picked up the guitar again and enjoy it now.

VidKid
03-04-2005, 03:33 AM
I cut my teeth on Clapton, Page, and Beck. There was something about those British guitarist. Other early influence was Humble Pie with Frampton. Those dorian licks are classic and still teach them. Kim Simmons with Savoy Brown and Johnny Winter were also influential, especially slide. These guys were playing from the soul. The Nice (Keith Emerson) was also very influential (America, Rondo 69, She Belongs To Me) I played bass in an Emerson (The Nice-pre ELP) Traffic, Procal Harum, King Crimson cover band when I was 15, but we also did some James Gang stuff (Joe Walsh)

Michael Bloomfield (Super Session) made me buy my vintage Les Paul and Hendrix with the Strat. I learned all I could from these two guitarists and decided to major in music.

During college days Segovia (Ponce, Turina, Torroba, Albeniz, Villa Lobos, Bach, etc) John Williams, Joe Pass, Earl Klugh (big influence), Wes, Burrell. When I hear Wess Impressions and 4 on 6 that was it for me until I hear Bensons Body Talk album. If I could play like that, WOW. Jim Hall, Dimeola, Robin Ford, Joe Beck, Roy Buchannon, Miles, Coltrane, Diz, Parker, etc.

Rush, Kansas, Journey, Dixie Dregs and Van Halen in the 80s. I covered all the bands in the 80s like AC/DC, Foreigner, Styx, Nugent, Van Halen, and Ozzy (Zach), but I never really learned anything with cover bands.

Now, I listen to Vai, Satch, and Malmsteen and wish I could shred like that, but musically I mostly like Mike Stern, Metheny, Ronnie Earl, SRV, Scofield, Coltrane, Guy Van Duser, Kotkie, William Kensinger, Andrew York. Buckethead is really cutting edge for me now as a guitarist. To learn new concepts, I listen mostly to horn players.(Garrett,Brecker, Franceschini, Malach and Coltrane)

For theory material and fresh ideas it's the Russian, Slonimsky. :D

VidKid

Bizarro
03-04-2005, 06:08 AM
I was always a rock guy, from 2 years old on up... My guitar playing started with learning as much Van Halen, Ozzy, and other 80's stuff that I could figure out. I played in jr high and high school bands and did the whole Metallica/Megadeth/heavy rock/pop rock stuff. Paul Gilbert and RacerX came out in the late 80's and I got way into picking technique, and technical mastery in general. The whole time I also took classical and fingerstyle lessons to keep well rounded. :)

Then the 90's came along and *good* guitar playing went away! :( I went deep into jazz for sanctuary! Then after about 5 years of jazziness I decided to learn every SRV song. I'm still working on it! :) I took some time off to finish up college and get a good career. Now I'm back into classic rock and cover bands, and working on SRV!

I used to worry about playing well. Now I just play. :)

wiechfreak
03-04-2005, 08:17 PM
I used to like a lot of music i hate now. I started off liking bands like Korn, Limp Bizket, Alien ant farm etc. Then I got into classic rock and from age 13 until a few months ago thats all i listened to. Now classic rock is ok but i REALLY like a lot of different styles now such as John Mayer, Ween, Johnny Lang etc

Arpetude
03-07-2005, 10:55 AM
i have been playing guitar for over a year now.

i bought one last christmas because i bought a pair of hi-hat cymbals (for 220) and thought they were crap and traded it in for a guitar 'just for fun'.

i started to play MuDvaYne + Korn riffs cause i was into them on the drums (altho i prefer death metal drummin but i could not play that on guitar).

after a few months of learning 'slow nu-metal' i went on Kazza and downloaded yngwie malmsteen by typing in (guitar lesson) and i saw the REH instrucional by him. i thought he was amazing i was really (and still am ) blown away by his skill. so i bought the book and PRACTICED REALLY HARD. it seemed really impossible cause they were 'so many notes'. i used to think how am i even supposed to remember all those notes let alone play them at that speed:eek:.

after months of woodshedding i finally got some of it down (some were not up to tempo) then bought JP rock disclipline and was again blown away. woodshed + months w/metronome got me through most of it (still can't play the legato:( ).

i got alot of information of websites. and i dedicate about 80% of my spare time practicing guitar. i like to watch my yngwie dvds to keep me inspired.

i know this is a bit of a lame musical era as basically i started off not really caring then got into yngwie. i never really played guitar (down picking korn riffs + 3 open chords i would say, does not count) untill i heard yngwie then EVERYTHING changed. if i never heard yngwie/vai i would not be playing guitar at all (wouldn't even be on this forum/probably would have a social life.)

right now i am still into those guys i really don't think i'm gonna change that, for over a year all i have thought about is yngwie guitar playing and i can't imagine turning into a jazz guy in my mid 20s. i'm 18 BTW.

not much of an 'era'. sorry if this sucks.:(

Exdeath
03-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Havent really changed my musical taste that much over the years, but here goes:

At the age of 10-12 (born 1985 so this would be around 95) I was pretty much into hip hop and that kind of stuff, like every other kid at this time.
Then one day I heard Enter Sandman by Metallica and also Transylvania by Iron Maiden. All my friends had bigger brothers wich where metal heads so I owe them for introducing me to that wonderfull world.

I went on for a few years praising Metallica and Maiden (mainly Metallica though) as the number one bands in the world and also got as lucky as to see Metallica live one year later (96).

When I was around 14-15 my parents split, mom met another guy who gave me a Electric guitar ;). Now this was truly something I played alot, beating up that guitar, then after a year or so I stopped for some reason.

Now at this time I was getting a little bit tired of listening to only Metallica so slowly but surely I started to broaden the horizon. Soon came Pink Floyd waltzing in and also Rainbow, Some U2 and that horrible accordion music my step-father used to jam on *shrugs*.

I had to turn 16-17 before I could really dive in to the music world for real.
At this age I found Megadeth, Dream Theater, re-discovered Iron Maiden also I started to drift towards the so-called genre Power Metal. Avantasia and Edguy where really big for me right then.

To this day I just keep discovering new bands almost everyday that I enjoy. Im really sinking deep into the Proggressive Metal swamp and the "to buy" list is getting rather big for an unemployed chap like myself...

(I realize this post aint very well structured but Im so tired right now that I cant be bothered)

Mateo150
03-07-2005, 10:14 PM
I'll do a quick one:

1: till 14 - pop & hip hop (as Exdeath said, seems like all us 90's generation kids listened to this)

2: till 17 - punk

3: 17 - still listened to punk, started guitar, loved SRV - this led to listening to the blues field, with all the greats, strong southern rock preferance, also a brief stint listening to Satch, Vai, etc. BTW: I've never heard a Yngwie songe, ever.

4: 18 - through blues, listened to other instruments, this led to jazz/fusion type stuff. Mahavishnu, Miles D, "jam bands", and so on...

5: 19-21 - try to listen to everything, like the jam band flavor. Getting into bluegrass type stuff a lot more. Love Bela Fleck, and that banjo sound. Still don't like "neo-classical", but I do like classical.

P.S. - Whats a "top 40 band"?

EricV
03-08-2005, 12:35 AM
A top 40 band is basically a cover band focussing on recent songs that were rather popular, as in "songs from the current top 40"
Of course, not all songs can be done easily by such a band or work well live ( especially if you consider all the rap-songs and stuff like that. Not to belittle those at all, they usually dont work for most top 40 bands though ). So they also play songs that are not quite THAT popular, or classics ( we played songs like "Jump", "Rosanna", "Centerfold", "I Would Do Anything For Love" etc. )
Those kinda bands I see more often in Europe than I see them in the States. So when I was in Germany, I usually played in a Top40 band, and in the States, I enjoyed to play with rock-coverbands, or even Contemporary country bands. Lotsa fun
Eric

Los Boleros
03-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Then the 90's came along and *good* guitar playing went away! :( . :)Ain't that the truth!

JailHouseRock
03-09-2005, 07:40 AM
I started out by listening to Nirvana, Metallica and few other rock bands. I didn't come from a musical background family. So, I had to discover music and stuff by myself. I first learn guitar at the back of shoplots before and after school. I learn some simple melodies and few basic chords.I started to love to play guitar but I haven't buy any yet.

Nirvana really had a big impact on me. I formed by first band with 2 friends at boarding school who shared the same interest like me. I was 16 during that time and I play bass in the band. We play mostly grunge and few punk rock stuff. We jam a lot that my mom was worried that I would abandon my studies cuz the big examination is coming soon. Anyway, we did record a 'demo' playing cover songs from Nirvana, Green Day and our local grunge bands but the quality is quite bad. We jam for 2 years and had to disband cuz we've finish school and our home is quite far from each other.

When I was 18, I play guitar in a hardcore punk band. I was very much into this kind of rebellious stuff. We had 2 demos and we play our own songs. I also got a 3 piece punk rock band where I sing and play guitar. I wrote most of the songs and we record it. It was a great pleasure to know that people like my songs. :) Somehow, I feel ashamed to remember that time. It feels
like garbage to see your pictures with stud, leather jacket and all the stuff.:o

At 19, I went to university. Here, I met few friends and formed a band. This time, a grind death band. Gee.. I cannot imagine going from Grunge to Hardcore/Punk to Grind Death. It just basically a noisy non-melodic music with me on guitar, a drummer and a vocalist. We went on seriously and record a demo but it just happen to be like that. No further progress. I also started to like country, blues and folk music. It was introduced by my room mate. I like country music a lot especially the old one like Hank william.

Around 20 - 21 year old, my musical interest has changed and so do to my drummer. We decided to change our music styleand also the band's name.
At this time, play some kind of melodic epic metal with a female fronted vocalist. Last year, I bought my first everguitar. Starting from that day, I changed a lot. Before this I always hate it to see Malmsteen, Hendrix, Paul Gilbert, etc.. doing their solo. I thought they just want to show off. Oh, I was so closed minded during that time. Anyway, I started practicing guitar seriously from that day. Slowly, I could accept all this guitar guys like Vai, Gilbert, Randy Rhoads, bla.. bla.. I was a bit late cuz I started to appreciate this stuff at 22! Can't believe how much I wasted my time listening to
some noisy music. :(

To this day, I keep on discovering new bands and music. I still listen to some Country music, Bob Dylan, Blues, Ozzy Osbourne,
Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads, Nighwish, some neo-classical stuff and list goes on and on..

As for my band stuff, we played our first gig last Saturday. The crowd reaction was good and they seemed to enjoy it. After the gig, one guy who also perform on that day asked us to join an independent cd compilation planned by him. It's cool to know that people do like my band's stuff. I can't wait to record it. :D

-sorry for the long essay!

whopwooper
04-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Gee waht'sgoing on Here ......Asonishing what happens in 20 years. I started out with punk like the sex pistols/ Dammned/Black Flagg/ Dead Kennedys, always something really anarchistic and wild...Nina HAGenn was an amazing early Deutch Madd Demon chiK punket rockker and even opera singer. ...I always loved music from a tiny age .....

..I think the first sound that really hit me and gave me that...
Wierd prikly skinn feeling was the song by the Beatles/Flying as I had an astonishing urge to learn to fly...Which I did end up doing.....In the college days I kind of mellowed it down a bit and got in to Motorhead Hawkwind and was knocked down dead by Steve Hillage.....an astonishing kind of astral gutarist who just did'nt really catch on and certain things about his playing were prety cliqchee...but If you like good bass and Fusion begging try to listen to an album called studio open .....It really did do the trick about 15 years ago....but somehow not any more.

What to do....that was the title of this Thread....Now....It's a good question......The chaos theory and all.....Somehow the rock ethic is somehow thank god after the wanky 80s and turbulent sterile 90s again there right up on top......and here in Austria with the radio FM4 Indie music and chill out music Is right ON it fellas I can say.....

Somehow the Rock Mega ...Giants are neverthless out here unless they do something really
wierd and un-awaited.....Some how a sad thing because I love Instumental
music and find people are to cleaky nowadays and cynical......Unless it's mega Hip or groovy or In at all even with the talents of S-Vai ans many othery seem to be somhow a bit forgotton...

The future is wierd and I can say for me I love World music and have mega wierd tastes of who I'd like to in passing reccommend.....a listen.....(Manuel IMan) has invented a really freaky mix of Blues/spanish/Indian/Oriental....now and again a bit to clean but
he really will shock you on his album Legacy_track the Jewel......(The dole foundation) are another wierd anglo suburban Indian clever mix of Dole drumms and gutsy World musos who live have that astonishing primitve Kick *** power........Trio D electrico are another amazing new addition to my new faves...I think they are from Germany but if you like jazz they really do wierd stuff and great to Jamm to with Guitar or keyboard..

...Gee Leaders of this Forumm HEY I'm not plugging but music is about sharing your insider tips or not.....we alll long have been astounded by the Obvious
....Dig a bit deeper form the Classics and if your a mega talented guitarist don't get to caught up trying to emulate them all the time.....

Los Boleros
04-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Ok =Bob=

your turn,

Whats your story.:p

snufeldin
04-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Then the 90's came along and *good* guitar playing went away!

I disagree with you. Maybe "good" lead playing... although in popular music lead playing was pretty much nonexistant. I think for a good reason too, guitar solos are often unnecessary. I can't listen to classic rock too much because the solos go no where and I get bored real quick. I'd say this is accurate with most solos, although there are exceptions... Eddie Van Halen's solos for example.

Unless the solo takes the song somewhere, I only prefer them at live shows.

Los Boleros
04-07-2005, 04:43 PM
the 90's came along and *good* guitar playing went away!Yea but I can remember a time when people strived to be good lead guitar players. The mear fact that songs had guitar solos in them only raised the bar for us to keep up. In the 90's, the lead guitar player was somewhat replaced with a guy scratching records. Look at Linkin Park. Great music but no real guitar work, Other than rhythm. That same band in the 70s-80s would have commanded a serious lead guitarist. Yes there are solos that are too long and solos that go nowhere, I just turn the station, but then there are real gems!:cool:

snufeldin
04-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Yeah,

I don't know... I'm kind of glad striving to be a really good lead player isn't as important because there's a lot more important things to focus on.... like being able to blend well with and support other players. But come on, there is some incredible guitar work these days, it just isn't lead playing. As many lead guitarists here have commented, they find it hard to actually be a rhythm player.

Personally I don't think Linkin Park is good, but I see what you're saying. However, I think that guitar solos would take away from the music instead of add to it.

Alright, sorry to veer from the topic of this thread

=Bob=
04-07-2005, 08:20 PM
I hope I can keep this short, old fart you know... My first interest in music was when my mom taught me how to play the ukelele. Songs like "Ain't She Sweet" and "Five Foot Two". I was about 4 years old (that would be about 1957) and my mom would show me off to her friends. We had an old Hammond organ that I started to teach myself how to play by ear. At about 7, my parents got me a real piano and piano lessons. Took lessons up into high school. All the classical stuff, Brahms, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven sonatas, etc. I lost interest. I wanted to play the music I heard on the radio. I had always been transcribing by ear songs like "Louie, Louie" etc. Wrote my first compositions while I was in junior high school. Loved to sing, loved attention. My favorite bands while I was in high school were Jethro Tull, Led Zep, Who, Traffic, Blodwyn Pig, Quicksilver, Spirit, Mountain. But I played classical music mostly. Then I met a guy who played swing, he was the father of a friend. He showed me the blues scale. He played some pretty wild stuff. It was the info I needed. I would visit him often. So I learned songs like "Kitten on the Keys" and "Bumble Boogie".

Attended college as a music major. Met a woman who became my piano ensemble partner and later we married. We played Mozart, Gershwin, mostly the classics. Continued to play two-piano music, we played for the Los Angeles Press Club, Los Angeles Original Composition Workshop, home gigs, parties, recitals at school, recitals for our private teacher, etc. I was a member of various rock bands, played pubs, never got anywhere. Had a couple songs get onto the radio, but no big deal. Dropped out of college. Had a number 1 on Dr. Demento in Los Angeles when Skylab fell. Then we met Johnny Guarnieri, a great swing pianist, who was taught by Fats and Tatum during his time. He took us as students for a while and we played out for him.

Went back to college when I was 29. Dropped out after 2 years, just couldn't raise 2 children and go to school full time and hold down a job too (I've always been in tech fields). Then we suffered losing one of our children (our son) and I stopped playing or writing for about 10 years. Moved to Idaho to get away from the big city. Went to work at the University of Idaho, that's where I am now (been here 16 years).

My daughter developed this incredible voice and I was urged to start writing and playing again. Working at the university (computer programmer), I have friends in the music department, excellent theorists and composers who offered to mentor me privately. My family and I started singing trio and doing all Gospel music (of all things). We went around to churches, schools, retirement centers, hospices, and prisons. Conducted a music ministry for 10 years. Got on TV a couple of times, performed at some pretty big Gospel shows in the northwest. But no big deal. We did 3 part tight harmonies, similar to barbershop, but really more like Gospel/blues counterpoint, my daughter was usually lead. We were influenced by groups like The Cathedrals. Then my daughter started college (where I work) and we stopped doing the music ministry. That was about 4 years ago.

Then my daughter and I started gigging locally, just me on piano and her singing solo. She has a fantastic voice, very powerful, she can scat and do fills, her infuences are Bonnie Rait, EG Knight, Nina Simone. I play blues and country blues piano around here (Idaho). We still perform now and then, but she's pretty busy trying to finish up her degree in Theatre Arts and a minor in Foreign Languages (she wants to become bilingual in Spanish). Next semester she wants to start a music minor too.

Jazz is big here at the university. And so I'm planning on taking all the jazz theory courses they have starting next semester. Should have done that sooner... Sorry this is so long...
=Bob=