PDA

View Full Version : opinions please, wanna share lesson ideas

ROGUE_T
09-08-2004, 09:15 AM
HI EVERYONE!!!, how u all doing. I have been working on some lessons and practice ideas. Well am just trying to get peoples opinions on whether ( When a I figure ot powertab) I should put em in a forum. Don't want people to think I'm taking the piss. Just wanna help out if I can.

Zatz
09-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Just go ahead! ;)

rmuscat
09-08-2004, 12:52 PM
post up man we all enjoy new stuff over here. Taking the piss is when you put too much credit to yourself (lol e.g. exotic scales in C Major)

if someone doesn't like what you post he is free not to look anyway

keep them coming ... :)

Bluzspider
09-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Hey,

I agree with the thoughts of " just do your thing." I have been into the blues for quite some time, but I am always trying out different things. Whether they are jazz lessons or hard rock, or whatever else is out there, I love to give everything a rip. So post your work and I'm sure I will not be the only one checking things out.:cool:

sugarbee
09-23-2004, 02:12 AM
Hey, yeah, post em up, we'll check em out for sure, (even if some of us are a bit behind when it comes to all that theory and stuff:o) But we already know yer cool, so it's all good!;)

Bongo Boy
09-23-2004, 02:15 AM
Don't want people to think I'm taking the pissNow normally I'd expect Zatz to be the first to ask about this little phrase, but it looks like I'm the one who's now at the disadvantage. I assume from context this means something like 'being a braggart' or 'showing off'. I've seen it a few times here at the site, and find it...well, intriguing. Some help from the Brits in the crowd?

In any case...welcome! If you do take the time to post up powertabs, etc., it also is helpful to make the tab part of a broader discussion--what you had in mind, what you did, etc. I think folks appreciate 'cool licks', but we also appreciate anything you can say about how they came about. Get it?

Zatz
09-23-2004, 08:12 AM
Now normally I'd expect Zatz to be the first to ask about this little phrase

Bongo Boy,

Now I'll be the second one to ask ;)

As a non native english speaker who's been desperately trying to learn this very foreign language I would think that phrase should mean 'be offended' or 'to have not enough guts' but the context suggests it more likely stands for Bongo's guess.

Curious to know the actual meaning. I hope the fellow admins and mods will forgive me using iBreathe resources for learning english ;)

Zatz.

ashc
09-23-2004, 09:27 AM
"Taking the piss" has a few meanings:

1) Teasing someone because of some misfortune or condition e.g. "Four Eyes" for someone with spectacles.
2) Leaning too much on someones good nature e.g. "the second time he asked to borrow a fiver (5) I thought that was taking the piss"
3) Patronising or time wasting.
4) An obvious untruth.

Piss by the way is vernacular for urine. "Pissing about" is generally not doing any useful. Pissed is used in the same way as in the US although it's a little ruder over here. None of these are used in polite conversation.

Now, the best English phrase I ever heard is a related West Midlands one:

"get your bum out of the window" - meaning, your having a laugh (i.e. don't try and take the piss)

Should we have an etymology forum?

CaptainCarma
09-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Should we have an etymology forum?

- Serious? Yes.

btw. thanks for your detailed explanation.

phantom
09-23-2004, 10:59 AM
can we start with what is "etymology"?

fake spanish mode on
el phantom esta stupido. :confused:
/fake spanish mode off

ashc
09-23-2004, 11:26 AM
The history of words and language. The bit in the dictionary where it goes on about where the word came from etc. In English dictionaries this seems to be more emphasised because the language is not a language but lots of bits of other languages learned by the grunting ancient britons from their more sophisticated invading european neighbours to create one confusing impossible to learn properly, no rules, language

phantom
09-23-2004, 11:28 AM
In English dictionaries this seems to be more emphasised because the language is not a language but lots of bits of other languages learned by the grunting ancient britons from their more sophisticated invading european invaders to create one confusing impossible to learn properly, no rules, language

..at least their humor is lovely and unique :D ;)

ashc
09-24-2004, 08:42 AM
We got off thread, but I forgot a very important distinction.

Pissed Off (UK) = Pissed (US)
Pissed (UK) = Drunk...

And, to the original poster, normally things here stay on thread. All lesson ideas and exercises and stuff are welcomed here (powertab as usual format).

Zatz
09-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Ashc,

thanks for the insight. The original poster will be shocked to see such kind of a feedback :D