PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up my playing. (This is the most frustrating thing ive had to do!)

LuisSavesTheDay
08-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Some of my playing is not as "SHred" as it SHOULD sound. Some notes bleed into others, and it doesnt sound as staccato and good. I was cleanin up my playin and this is the pattern/ excercise im using.

-20-p-17-----17-22-p-17-----17---------------------
----------20--------------20------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------

I can play it SUPER fast just like you guys could, but it doesnt sound as clean as i want it to be. On the high E, when i pull from he 20 to the 17, my index finer stays on the fret when i hit the 20 on the B string. It has a weird interval sound, and it bugs me. I was wodnering if i should be lidting my index finger after i pull of to prevent it. I was trying to release my index finger for the exercise, but it slows my playing down by 300%. What should i do!?

wiechfreak
08-25-2004, 01:01 AM
well u could keep playing sloppy and join a grunge band? but seriously i dont know what to tell ya I can't even play ac/dc solos let alone shred

LuisSavesTheDay
08-25-2004, 01:46 AM
i dunno. I just HATE when i learn something wrong, and get REALLLLLLY good at it, and then i figure its not proper, and it doesnt sound PERFECT. Any tips would help a lot.

Danster
08-25-2004, 01:57 AM
i dunno. I just HATE when i learn something wrong, and get REALLLLLLY good at it, and then i figure its not proper, and it doesnt sound PERFECT. Any tips would help a lot.What seems to me to be the proper the is to play s-l-o-w-l-y, and if you're making mistakes, you're playing too fast. Better to play perfectly, and slowly, and slowly go faster. If you learn to play fast, but sloppy, then you're training your muscles to play sloppy. BTW, I'm preaching to myself here too.

Bizarro
08-25-2004, 02:22 PM
You should be muting the high E string with the fleshy part of the finger that hits the "20" on the B string. This will get rid of the noise with some practice. Make sure you just dampen the high E string and don't push down hard enough to fret a note.

:)

Alan(Lost)
08-25-2004, 11:55 PM
I'd lift off slightly on the E 17th fret, enough so that it comes off the fret but remains in the same position. This way you're not letting the note ring on, and there isn't a lot of movement involved so you can do it really fast (even economy fast....yes, that* fast!!). But slide your riff there down to the 12th fret so your starting on the 15th fret. Even if you lift off the 12th fret, you'll get a strong harmonic, so more is required to mute it. I use my picking hand somehow to mute it. Just be careful of playing certain things in different places on the fretboard; it's not all the same. Harmonics are stronger in some places on the strings than others.

GuitarLausing
08-26-2004, 08:53 PM
raise your action a little bit.. helped me

LuisSavesTheDay
08-28-2004, 01:37 AM
some one PLEASE tell me how theyre picking this. Im getting SOOOOO frustrated, i jsut threw my pickat the wall as hard as i can because i cant pik this POS right. My left hand is so much more advanced then my right and its iving me a migrane head ache!!!!! DAMNIT!:mad:

Thorsten
08-28-2004, 07:39 AM
Hi Luis,

hereīs three different ways you could approach that lick:

First one is the traditional way using ho/poīs and some easy picking. Thatīs I guess the way the lick is ment to be and it has a more legato sound to it.
Just keep your first finger constantly on the 17th fret as if you would bar it and only move your third and fourth finger. Palm mute all the strings youīre not playing. Since the lick is way up high be sure to pick hard to get a good sound out of the strings and keep your picking the same (like I indicated).

The second way is probably how I would play it. Just on a single string, using wider stretches and mostly alternate picking it. If you keep the picking the same (like I indicated) and with a little practice you can get it very fast and stakkato sounding. Again be sure to pick hard and palm mute all the strings youīre not playing!

Of course thereīs always the third possibility to simply tap it on a single string. Thatīs how you would probably get it the fastest and itīs the easiest way to play it but itīs a little bit like cheating isnīt it...? ;)

Anyway, Iīm sure thereīs many more ways you could play it so donīt get stuck on just one approach and try everything. Be creative!

Cheers
TK

Lowthorpe
08-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Something I've been wondering about recently; Thorsten, you say to palm mute the strings you don't play, in thise case, E, A, D and G, but I find it difficult to palm mute those strings whilst lettings the top 2 strings play clearly, the rest of my hand seems to rest over no matter how much I contort my hand...any advice?

Merci beaucoup,
Nick

Thorsten
08-28-2004, 12:28 PM
First up, you should try to pick from the wrist and use a kind of floating hand technique so your palm rests kinda loosely over the bridge and you just slightly press it down if you want to mute strings.

I think in your case you mean that your palm doesnīt cover all of the strings specialy when youīre playing on the high e-string so the low e-string isnīt comletely muted.
You could try resting your hand/palm not directly over the bridge but a little more upwards, towards the bridge pick up. Picking the strings there will give you an even better sound for some licks cause the strings are a bit looser and you can dig more into it and it takes less effort to pick hard. Also you will be able to cover the strings better to mute them.
So rest you palm over the bridge pick up and pick the strings somewhere over the neck up. Hope you understood what I mean...

Iīm also using the thumb of my picking hand to mute on the high b and e strings. So Iīm just using the very tip of the pick to hit the strings, that way the flesh of my thumb is close enough to the strings to additionaly mute them when Iīm not playing them.
A bit hard to explain but again I hope you understood what I mean... :)

Basically you could say every part of your hand your not using for picking or freting try to use for muting the strings.
Also, just some general thought, try not to be too picky about noises. You canīt eliminate all of them and theyīre just part of the sound of an electric guitar. Itīs still a human thing and thatīs what makes it cool. I guess Hendrix and Page didnīt worry too much about noises but they were cool... ;)

Cheers
TK