PDA

View Full Version : i had a dream...

phantom
08-18-2004, 10:06 AM
many years ago i had this dream:

i was standing outside on a plain field with my guitar around the neck. i was making music but not by playing guitar but by moving mainly the hands and arms.
opening and closing hands affected the sound in brightness, moving arms and hands changed the pitch and volume. everything sounded in 3D - dolby surround you might say. very wide but also very detailed and focused.
there wasn't something like a beat or a theme melody, it was like huge chords changing and fading into each other.
that music changed also the colours in that dream. depending on where the chords came from in that "picture" there was a change of colour depending on the chord quality and pitch. the way the colours moved depended on the way those chords sounded and moved, if they were stable, consonant or dissonant.
it was an awesome and overwhelming dream and i had and sometimes (but rarely) still have similar ones... and no, it had nothing to do with drugs ;-).

since i had this dream i am trying to capture those moments of colourmovements when playing. it seemed to be like the final musical goal to achieve concerning imagination and conversion. sometimes you get those moments happen better sometimes worse or not at all. and sometimes, when you play you have those magical moments where you can exactly translate whats in your mind and vision - then everything else around you, all circumstances, diseases, money problems, fights and all that is gone and irrelevant - there is absolutely no fear.

did anybody have dreams like that as well?
does anyone know what i mean?

am i just a psycho looney?

rmuscat
08-18-2004, 10:24 AM
hey sven,
you reminded me of good old Jimi Hendrix (rip) ...

he had absolutely no knowledge of theory or anything but his friends recall that he talked a lot about colours in music. Both in the music itself (content) and both in making music composition. Seen a documentary some time ago by BBC that was awesome.

and we know what kind of music he made ;) so that all speaks for itself.

so this makes me think ... really deep .. i guess you are (and have been) on the right track pure musical expression :)

on the other hand i have to start thinking in terms of colours!!

as for the psycho question ... well i won't start a competition on that you never know the wierd things that happen in my mind

phantom
08-18-2004, 10:37 AM
on the other hand i have to start thinking in terms of colours!!

hm. i really wonder how that colour relation works. i mean, seeing and hearing are senses of equal importance.. aren't they? notes are supposed to be heard and colours to be seen, now how come that this is crossed? is it easier to discribe colours or sounds?
even colours are reffered to moods.. is the visual sense maybe the strongest that we have? how bout the blind? can they hear colours as well?
how about people like da vinci or michelangelo, did they "hear" their paintings?

does someone know?

Arise
08-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Well on a scientific approach some ppl are more "visual" some are more "aural" ie some remember things better in one way, some are in betwin.....So no, not exactly equal importance.
Anyway it dsnt mean cuz ure visual that ure less good at music, its just the way u approach it that will change. I guess someone very visual will tend to relate music to colors while maybe someone else wud rather catch the feelings of it without being able to describe em (i do) cuz those feelings havent been named, and are very weird (only basic stupid feelings have been named "love , happyness blahblah).

That's why poetry is great, it dsnt tell u the feelings, it creates them betwin you, so it can reach states that words cant reach it only "suggests" them with the sound, the rythm, the subconscious mind. I believe painting, music and just art are quite same. Ur color stuff might lie in some kind of harmony/modal stuff....where some kind of resolving states rememeber u of some colors and other tension states other colors...or maybe u color moods of chords....music creates feelings....painting too...so the feelings are prolly common ground.

Btw how can u remember ur dreams so well? :)

phantom
08-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Btw how can u remember ur dreams so well?

there are dreams that just stick in my head cause of the impression they made probably, or the importance i gave them. not many. maybe 5 that i remember like they were from last night.. even better. there is a dream from a time when i was about 5 years old and i still remember it.
sometimes if its a wierd but good dream i write it down as soon as i wake up.

i watched zappa playing football about 3 weeks ago. i wrote that down.

Slaindude
08-18-2004, 11:44 AM
The only dream about music that i remember is when i was playing guitar in a band at a show that Blind Guardian was headlining. Then they came to me and one of their guitarist didn't show up and i had to replace him. Funny.

Anyway i never had a dream that relate music to colors or anything similar.

phantom
08-18-2004, 12:16 PM
The only dream about music that i remember is when i was playing guitar in a band at a show that Blind Guardian was headlining. Then they came to me and one of their guitarist didn't show up and i had to replace him. Funny.

that' cool as well.
i had a lot of nightmares about playing on stage. beeing not heard at all, or not able to tune the guitar, or totally naked or couldn't make my way to the stage (spinal tap???).

Slaindude
08-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Well, your nightmares don't seem that bad cause i had them all but in real life. I remember my first shows, i was so anxious and stress, i had a hard time tuning the guitar. I also remember a pityful show in very small place, i did not have my amp and i borrow one from a previous band. And i never knew why but his damn amp could not do the job. I think i boosted the mid to the max and even there i could not hear myself as well as no one in the audience. I think his amp was to weak (the volume was at max.) cause even when HE was playing, i had a hard time hearing him. I think it was a randall half-stack don't remember the type though. But i never had a problem about being naked or making my way through the stage ! Or i maybe i was just too drunk to remember it ! But seriously i always do shows sober, beer comes after.

But to go back to the original topic, i once dream that someone broke into my house and broke my Gibson. I was so on the nerves that when i woke up i went to see if my little baby was okay :D

phantom
08-18-2004, 02:45 PM
But seriously i always do shows sober, beer comes after.

yeah. as soon as i have one sip of beer i loose everything - my ears and my motivation to do something else but having another sip, can, glas, pitcher etc.

not even practice is fun beeing drunk. on the other side,... i once recorded funny and unplayable things after two bottles of red wine. i listened to it in the morning and had no clue how to reproduce it. :D

concerning things blowing up on stage or not working at all: i can just advise everybody - check your equipment and make sure everything works and sounds good.
in the end the people will say "the guitarist sucked" and not , "due to unexpectable temperatur changes the strings of his guitar got out of tune". :D

but it seems like everybody has to make those experiences ;-)

Slaindude
08-18-2004, 03:17 PM
True. Anyway too much alcohol modify the way i hear the music and sometimes i feel i play something really good, tape it and then i listen to it the next day and its so bad! :rolleyes: ahahah

phantom
08-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Anyway too much alcohol modify the way i hear the music and sometimes i feel i play something really good, tape it and then i listen to it the next day and its so bad! ahahah

*lol* :D . yeah... thats what happens most of the times.. that 's why i was astonished that the recording was actually good!
... have fun everyone, i'm gone for today ;-)

time2kill
06-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Sorry for bringing up such an old post, but I found this thread to be so interesting I couldn't resist.

The dream he describes is something called SYNESTHESIA.

Some familiar names with this 'gift':

Stevie Wonder
Billy Joel
Duke Ellington
Eddie Van Halen
Leonard Bernstein.

There is much more info about this on wikipedia if anyone is interested.