PDA

View Full Version : help: left handed or right

foofighter7447
11-10-2002, 02:07 AM
when i began playing guitar, (its been 2 years now), i listened to my teacher and played right handed, even though i am left-handed. he is also left-handed, but learned right handed. i'm wondering - did i make a mistake? should ur strong hand be the one you strum with, and fret with the weak, or does it not really matter? was he giving me good advice, cuz he is a good teacher...thanks a lot! :)

-ben

Bizarro
11-10-2002, 03:56 AM
Interesting question!

Steve Morse is probably the best known left handed guitar player that plays a right handed guitar. He seems to be doing ok;)

I had a roommate in college that was in the same boat. He had great legato technique but his picking was a little rough. I'm not sure if that can be attributed to his practice regimen or his left handedness.

I was ambidextrous as a youngster and I haven't had any real problems either. In general, my left hand is very coordinated and my right hand (picking) needs some help. This is very noticeable if I don't practice for several days.:( It takes awhile to get my picking back up to speed but I can always hammer on/pull off like there's no tomorrow.

In my opinion, I would rather have an advantage with the fretting hand. I'd like to hear other opinions on this subject!

metaljustice83
11-10-2002, 04:51 AM
I would most definatly want my left hand to be stronger, cause if you can't fret the notes your up the creek without a paddle, you could play all hammerons and pulloffs, but if you couldn't fret it wouldn't matter how good your picking hand is. Im a righty playing righty and im glad i did it this way eventhough it does seem to make more sense to do it the other way.(right handed playing a lefty guitar.) IMO though.

N.P= Joe satriani Strange and beautiful Music

EricV
11-13-2002, 10:00 PM
Other left hand players who play a right hand-guitar ( despite Steve Morse ):
Gary Moore, Joe Perry, Michael Angelo ( can play both ways ), Tracii Guns...
Do what feels best to YOU. Check out my article "Shred Talk", a conversation with Thorsten Koehne. He is a mind-boggling player, and he ( as a left hander ) plays a right hand guitar turned around, with the low E-string closest to the floor ( basically, as if you turn around a right hand guitar without changing the strings ). He did that cuz it felt right to him, and believe me, heīs a great player...
Click HERE (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/play/article/54) to check out "Shred Talk"...
Eric

Thorsten
11-13-2002, 11:01 PM
Youīre absolutely right, Eric! Thanks for the compliment, buddy...
Doesnīt matter if you play right or lefthanded, with the strings upside down or with a toothbrush ( I once saw somebody do tappings with his nose)...as long as it feels good for you just go for it!

EricV
11-14-2002, 01:03 PM
Hey Thorsten...
welcome to the board ! :)
Nose-tapping... that was Zaza, wasnīt it ?
Eric

Thorsten
11-14-2002, 03:29 PM
Exatly...but he plays good with his fingers too! :)

EricV
11-14-2002, 03:33 PM
I guess I should soon write about all those cool but forgotten techniques such as "nose tapping" and "three picks in a hand"... :)

I never asked you... did you ever try to play any other way, like i.e. with a regular left hand-guitar ?
Eric

NP: Thorsten Koehne- World Tonight

Thorsten
11-14-2002, 04:06 PM
Playing a normal stringed up lefthanded guitar to me is like starting to play again. I know some basic cords and thatīs it...if I play my righthanded stuff on a normal lefthanded guitar it sounds like free jazz and everybody goes "Wow...cool note choice!";)

By the way...ever thought about doing an article on playing with your teeth? I know Gilbert can do it very good but I never knew how to really do it!

EricV
11-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Yo...

I would but first I wanna learn how to play "Frenzy" with my teeth. I am up to about... hmmm.... about 8 bpm...

Yeah, Paul did some funny stuff that way... I liked how him and Bruce played the solobreak of "Detroit Rock City" in harmony with their teeth... that was funny...

But Gilbert also faked it sometimes ( I guess you know that anyway ) by screaming into the pickups... It looked as if heīs playing with his teeth, then he started screaming pretty fast lines which you couldnīt play with your teeth... fooled a bunch of people...

Reeves Gabrels once suggested to play guitar with a hairbrush... he said you could get some insane strumming-sounds that way... Ron Thal took it one step further... he used something else to play a solo. But I canīt tell you what in this forum cuz I guess it would be rated PG or even X afterwards... "Must be 21 to enter", ya know ? :)
Eric

Thorsten
11-16-2002, 06:08 AM
Yeah, Ron Thal has a very good vibrator...UPS, I mean vibrato, too!;)