PDA

View Full Version : Hey James...

EricV
11-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Hey James,
I listened to some of your songs on your MP3-page. I did so before a while ago but I really was quite busy back then and couldnīt really pay attention.
Very nice ! I like "Vacuum". Very nice background, and the lead guitar displays some really nice phrasing !
Same goes for "White Dwarf". Cool melodies in that one !
I like that.
By the way, which tune is it that youīre quoting in the "theme" of "Legend". I know itīs popular, but I really canīt think of the title right now...

Everyone, check it out !
Eric

szulc
11-07-2002, 11:45 PM
The 'Vacuum' thing is tough because it is 4 4 3 4, 4 4 3 5 beats per measure. The rhythm part is really meant to be played on acoustic guitar. I have this thing for Em add 9.

The 'Legend' is a rip off of 'Leyenda' (spanish for legend) and parts of 'Maleguanua'. I tried hard, but I am no Parkening.

'White Dwarf' is a kind of Ritchie Blackmore tribute.

'Neutronstar' is my favorite.
Both of these last two use the same original MIDI track but then I tweaked the keyboard and drums to be different.

These both were created and recorded in a two or three hour span one Sunday morning, August 2001. I just woke up and said "I am going to write something today" and in fifteen minutes I had the basic idea for Neutronstar and White Dwarf. Once I had the basic sequence down, I just recorded 1 take of totally improvised guitar. That is what you hear. The drums and bass were tweaked after the guitar was laid down. I hope lots of emotion comes through, beacuse my techinique and vibratto is weak!

EricV
11-08-2002, 12:12 AM
James,

I think the soloing is really cool. I wouldnt consider your technique weak, and I can definitely hear the emotion.

I can relate to the Emadd9-thingy, I like that chord too ( same goes for other m add 9 and maj add9 chords, and i.e. Em11 ).

The backing of Vacuum reminds me of the tune "Talking Hands" ( not related to my upcoming album, I picked the title for that after I heard the Watson-album ) by Jeff Watson / Steve Morse ( to be found on the Lone Ranger-record )... because of the voicings and the odd meter.

I think itīs very cool that you were spontaneous about it. My song "Deja Vu" was created that way. I had this little chord-progression and one day, I sat down, wrote the song and recorded it, too.
Anyway, I like those tunes, and I think the playing is really good, too.
Eric

EricV
11-08-2002, 12:14 AM
And about your vibrato... I donīt think that is weak, either. I hear at least two different kinds of it, one rather fast, kinda like Steve Morse, and another, rather relaxed one.
And that is neat, because there are too many players who overuse vibrato or only do one kind of vibrato
Eric

szulc
11-08-2002, 12:33 AM
Watson has a Great vibratto and some monster picking chops!
I really like Yngwie's, George Lynch's and Blues Saraceno's vibratto. I work on it a little every day, but it seems to be difficult to get their kind of strength to it. I learned to play before the wide vibratto thing was 'en vogue'. I learned my vibratto mostly from listening to Jeff Beck, Robin Trower and Ritchie Blackmore.
In those days the wide thing wasn't really around yet. As I said previously this is the first thing to go when I play live, before when all my guitars were hard tails, my vibratto was much stronger, the wang bar has made me lazy....

Thanks once again...