PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has a recording of Clapton's unplugged "old love" solo?

solberg
11-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Hi all.
I was wondering if anybody has your own recording of Eric Clapton's awesome solo in "old love" the unplugged version?
I would love to hear how close others could come to this amazing solo.

Thanks,
Daniel

EricV
11-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Hi Daniel,

welcome to ibreathe. I donīt have a recording of it, but itīs a really cool solo. Back when the unplugged album came out, I picked it up. I really liked that version "Old Love" ( also like the one on "24 Nights"... ) and I learned it and played it quite a bit. Itīs really great.
Brings back a lotta memories to think about that tune / solo
Warm regards
Eric

Guni
11-05-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by EricV
Brings back a lotta memories to think about that tune / soloSame here. I don't have a recording but isn't it funny how a specific album can bring back memories and the feel of that time!!! I think the unplugged came out in 92 or 93, just when I started my studies at Berklee. And this CD made it all the way through those 4 Berklee-years. Somehow it was kind of an anchor for me to stay focused and relaxed, while getting bombarded with music by Berklee.

Anyway, many thanks to Eric C for this masterpiece.

Guni

solberg
11-05-2002, 02:37 PM
Hi Eric.

Oh man, the "old love" version on 24 nights is so awesome.
I must say that this is the best version of "old love" I've ever heard. So amazing - it gives me the chill every time I hear it

Too bad, you don't have a recording of either the unplugged or electric solo of "old love".

is it possible you could make one?
Would really love to hear if anybody else can come close to this solo

What do you say?

Best,
Daniel

EricV
11-05-2002, 03:24 PM
Hi Daniel.

I canīt promise anything. As you might have seen, I donīt post a lot of soundfiles in the forum or articles neither. That is because my recording setup here at home is pretty messed up, hardly working at all ( the new hardware wasnīt really an improvement... rather the opposite ), especially when it comes to recording voice or acoustic guitar.
And when we get to the studio, our time there is consumed by recording songs for "Talking Hands".
But Iīll keep this in mind, and once I can get it to work, Iīll work on it. But I can tell you in advance, I never thought that I came close to Claptonīs tone or phrasing on that version. It sounds like a rather simple solo, but he didnīt get the popularity and reputation for nothing :)

Thanks
Eric

EricV
11-05-2002, 03:29 PM
Guni...
for me, it brings back memories to spring / summer 93. That is when I finally purchased the CD ( "Layla" and "Tears In Heaven" were on MTV several times a day back then, so of course I knew those )
That summer, I was in "blues-mode", listening to pretty much nothing else but blues... the "Layla"-record ( I used to jam on "Key To The Highway" for HOURS ), John Lee Hooker, BB King, Buddy Guy, even got my hands on some Robert Johnson recordings... I was listening to those records and jamming on them all day long.
And I listened to "Old Love" very often. Both the unplugged- and "24 Nights"-version ( that 2CD live album also features awesome versions of "Wonderful Tonight", "Bell Bottom Blues", "Pretending"... )... it was a really cool time.
So when Daniel mentioned that song ( I donīt think I listened to it a lot ever since that summer ) I had some memory flash here :rolleyes:

Eric