PDA

View Full Version : Cheers from Sweden!

Exdeath
07-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Hello, just recently found this site and it looks really good.
Looks like alot of material to go through and a lot of knowledge to take in.

Now, Iīm very fresh at music theory and I mean like, really really fresh.
I know my Notes (Duration, time signatures, clefs and stuff) and I know the "common" chords, I also know the notes all over the guitar neck and guitar is aso my main instrument.

Now as for scales, I know the regular minor formula (W W H W W W H)... ehh... thatīs the minor, right? :o
I also know the chromatic scale (duh!) and the first box of the pentatonic scale. I understand that modes are nothing but the Major scale with different starting notes.

So whatīs my ambition?

Well I want to get into music theory because I feel that it can help me evolve as a musician and also help me out in the writing process.
Now Iīve tried like a billion times to get into theory but I can never sit down and actually study it. Probably has to do with the fact that Iīve only studied it on the internet and that ainīt a very good thing for me a I get tired of pretty fast, and canīt sit here regularly.
So Iīve come to the conclusion that I need books. Because I canīt get a teacher (there arenīt any around here) and I like books, they make me learn in my own pace.

So anyway, alot of rambling here, give some advice if you have any and welcome me damnit! :D

Zatz
07-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Exdeath,

Welcome to IBreathe! You have come to the right place!

Now as for scales, I know the regular minor formula (W W H W W W H)... ehh... thatīs the minor, right? :o
Seems like major.
For ex. C major scale goes like: C W D W E H F W G W A W B H C

Still you have picked the right point to start learning theory from. Check out the article about intervals written by Gunharth Randolf (search through the articles by this name).

See you on the forums!
Warm regards,
Zatz.

rmuscat
07-08-2004, 09:34 PM
welcome to ibreath exdeath ... you'll find a lot of good articles to read over here and a lot of food for thought ... enough to keep you off buying books for a while at least ... there's a lot to read and learn ...

welcome mate ...

PS scandinavian countries make some AWESOME metal! .... i'm thinking of Nightwish at the moment although if i'm not mistaken they are not swedish ...

anyway ... welcome mate see around in the forums. feel free to ask ... but FIRST try looking up to see if any past discussion related any of you queries :)

see ya

Bongo Boy
07-09-2004, 02:02 AM
A hearty welcome! The site has a lot of material to get you started. My own article may be of some help (it's currently the most recently published), and I recommend Guni's Intervals: the Key to Harmonic Understanding. After that, it's all about the Chord Scales series Guni did (again, here at this site).

Yes, that's the intervallic structure for the major scale, not the minor. No problemo, let's move on!!

Please review our Forum Rules, and take a look at how we've organized the site--then post questions and ideas accordingly, yes? :) Very glad to have you here! Dammit!!

oRg
07-09-2004, 02:46 AM
PS scandinavian countries make some AWESOME metal! ....
You are SOOO right. A whole list of bands come to mind when I think of sweden. For example Meshuggah, In Flames, and Soilwork to name a few. Sweden is also home to one of free-style jazz's greatest drummer, Morgen Agren. If I'm not mistaken Dimmu Borgir is from Norway which is in the area of sweden.

Koala
07-09-2004, 03:29 AM
Well...all has been said.... WELCOME!

sugarbee
07-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Yup... 'tis a great place, hope to see ya round!

Exdeath
07-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Thanks for being nice to newbs as myself, a big plus!

Anyway, Iīll start digging into that article about interval right about.... NOW!!! :D
See you around and hopefully I can really extend my theory knowledge :)

CaptainCarma
07-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Hi to sweden and welcome to iBreathe,

the articles over here, should keep you busy for a lifetime.

...hmm, a lot of fascinating things come from sweden. not only good music...IKEA, Theresa Alshammar...

Exdeath
07-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Yeah and donīt forget our truly gorgeous princess Madelaine :D

http://www.princess-madeleine.com/site/madeleine/gallery/2002/crownbirth/images/pic01.jpg

CaptainCarma
07-09-2004, 11:05 AM
saved as desktop-pic of the month :-)

Lightning_Lead
07-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Hey, welcome Exdeath.
I'm from Norway (the neighbouring country for those who don't know).
It's cool that there's so much hype about scandinavian music ;)
You'll definetaly learn a lot from the articles here, see ya around.

forgottenking2
07-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Welcome to IBM I hope you enjoy your stay.