PDA

View Full Version : gypsy right hand

hhold
10-28-2002, 07:54 PM
Hi boys and (I hope) girls,
I've been listening to some gypsy music lately as Django Reinhardt, Bereli Lagrene but also excellent band Bratsch. If I manage to figure out the chords ( more and less) I have terrible difficulties with the right hand strumming particularly that guitar effect ( rolls I think they're called) those Gypsies guitarist do .:confused:
do any of you have some practice tips before i throw my accoustic guitar out of the window out frustration.
Thanks,
hhold
P.S. bravo for the site particularly for the sofege theory section: very instructing...;)

Gombakgitar
12-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Hello friend, I'm a beginner with Django and this type of style. I in fact don't own any Django CDs or tapes. I would however very much like to know more and engage myself with all things Django.

Have you any suggestions on how I should start ?

TheCurse
12-24-2004, 12:55 AM
Im not familiar with the exact piece your referring to but he was probably doing what is called a rasquiado (sp). its a spansish style technique where you continuosly strum the strings with your hand sort of 'rolling' back and forth and each finger doing the strumming in sequence.
ill do my best to explain how it goes mechanically but i have a feeling its gonna be hard to put into words.

sit with your guitar in playing position.
hold your strumming hand ( no picks used in this ) directly in front of your guitar over the soundhole, a half inch above the strings about, and make a loose but firm fist.
now one at a time, fire your fingers open from that fist, starting with your pinky. each finger striking (strumming) the strings as it fires open from your fist. leave the finger extended after it flys out, so after you do this with four fingers you end up with your four fingers extended but your thumb still folded down into your hand.
ok, also, when you flicked out your last (index) finger, you need to sort of turn your hand down (palm down) in the same motion, so your thumb will be in position to strum UP the strings. As you flick out your thumb and strum up the strings, you close your fist in the same motion, sort of reseting your hand for the movement again.
you practice this technique with a metronome, one finger per beat, to get it smooth.

well, if you can make any sense of that then hooray fer me :)

cheers

noiz anomaly
12-24-2004, 03:15 AM
I've got TONS of books on Reinhardt and gypsy music....they DO use a pick.
It's called the Gypsy Pump. To get enough power they float their hand and hold it out further from the body. But from my experience you don't have to do that. Usually it is done with mostly down strums abd a lot of muting.

satch_master
12-24-2004, 09:02 AM
its good to c u guys take interest in music that is well over 60-70 years old lol. nah but seriously yeah django was an awesome player for his time and the stuff that he was doing back in the 30's and 40's would make alot of shredders cry today. yeah i know its irrelivant but i felt like talking...

noiz anomaly
12-24-2004, 10:31 AM
awesome player for his time?!? he was an awesome player in ANY time

TheCurse
12-24-2004, 06:58 PM
well im glad you straightened us out noiz :p
ill move my post over to 'flamenco right hand' ;)