PDA

View Full Version : the best

js1000_lisboa
06-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Hei there, ibreathemusic members.
I just can't wait for starting with lessons by eric v. and all the others.
I'm from Portugal, a country not very famous musically speaking. But, despite that, I'm willing to become the best guitarist over here.
So I would be very pleased if somebody out there gave me a hand in technique level, mental level, etc. Please contact me at js1000_lisboa@yahoo.com to send to me licks, scales, whatever.

wild_child
06-23-2004, 10:07 PM
hi there,
glad to have you on board here at ibreathe :) though i gotta say, England are the ones going through to the semi-finals at euro 2004 tomorrow :D
COME ON THE ENGLAND!

Stranger
06-23-2004, 11:04 PM
Hiya and welcome to IBM...
being the best is good... but nobody's perfect, glad to meet you, Im Nobody :cool: :D

bah cant believe that Russia gave up that easy :) Latvia did pretty well tho, considering that I personally know many guys from that team ( good to have brother in law who played pro-football) :D

EricV
06-23-2004, 11:05 PM
Hi there,

and welcome at ibreathe ( also, thanks for the feedback-email you sent ). Hope youŽll find answers to all your questions here at ibreathe.
Regarding your request for material, I am sure that a lot of people here do have some stuff for you, but I guess some more specific requests would be good... I dunno whether someone will just send you a huge zip with all kinds of exercises.
So if youŽre more specific, I am sure people will be able to provide whatever it is youŽre looking for.
Eric

NP: Dixie Dregs - Long Slow Distance ( track )

Koala
06-24-2004, 02:51 AM
Hey Js, we also like to keep stuff on the forums, so why dont you search around and see what you can find. Theres loads of things you can use. If you have any questions or need anyhelp just post on here and weŽll be more than glad to help you.

js1000_lisboa
06-24-2004, 09:58 AM
I wanna thank all the people for their warm welcome.
You guys don't imagine the time I spent in quest for a good site regarding guitars and techniques.
In answer to eric v's reply (asking me to expose my doubts) I must say that I have many dificulties in sweeping:rolleyes:
I already red eric's "A closer look to sweep picking" but the dificulties remain.
I would appreciate some power tab exercises or some zipped files.

Carvinite
06-24-2004, 03:47 PM
Tell us what the dificulties are and we may be able to help you get them out of the way.....

js1000_lisboa
06-25-2004, 12:01 PM
My main doubt is in sweep picking. Should I pick the downstroke, like I do playing a chord in the classical guitar (all at once), or should I do it one string at a time?:rolleyes:

phantom
06-25-2004, 12:19 PM
it's one string at a time.
sweeping should be practised extremely slow to get the finger movement and string dampening clean. no way to strum it like a chord. even if you play lightning fast sweeps, they are still played differently compared to hitting a chord.
did you read the sweeping articles?
maybe its a good idea to find someone in your area who is able to sweep so that he can show it to you.
i think it's hard to learn sweeping over the internet.

Carvinite
06-25-2004, 12:56 PM
^^He's right man......

It's hard as hell to learn sweepin over the net!!!! HARD...It took me near 3 month's to figure out what it was (thanks ericV)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally figured out what it was and how to do it though.......Just read the articles and FOLLOW them and do the picking exersices...and you should be fine...and we will help you if yupr in a rough spot....

Sweeping is string by string (nothing like a chord) just take it extremely SLOW!

js1000_lisboa
06-25-2004, 01:05 PM
I already took some lessons of sweeping by a friend of mine.
But he just told the basics, so I'm trying to improve my very weak technique. This "chord" doubt was my only weakness, when it comes to sweeping. I'm studying hard as hell eric vanderberg's lessons which have been helping me a lot. Thanks eric, and thanks all of you who have found time and patience to help me through this damn technique. THANK YOU!!!!!:)

Oceano
06-25-2004, 03:21 PM
...but you have a very long road ahead of you judging by the stuff I have heard from Goncalo Pereira and Luis Moreno (both from Portugal).

Anyway, enjoy the ride as it is not so much the destination, but the ride that is worth it all :)

js1000_lisboa
06-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Everyone, look:
I've printed the "a closer look to sweep picking" article, and I discovered what was I doing wrong. So I've emended myself and have improved drastically in sweeping. I'm way better. But now I've got a problem. I've memorized all those exercises in the article and I've mastered those. So I need (PLEASE) some more sweeping licks. Anyone who has some (I don't care which, if they're big or small) please send all of them to me through zipped doc files, acrobat reader format, ptb files, I don't care just send them to me.
While I'm at it, I wanna thank ERIC for his articles (specially this one). They can really help a guy in desper ;)

Leviathon
06-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Everyone, look:
I've printed the "a closer look to sweep picking" article, and I discovered what was I doing wrong. So I've emended myself and have improved drastically in sweeping. I'm way better. But now I've got a problem. I've memorized all those exercises in the article and I've mastered those. So I need (PLEASE) some more sweeping licks. Anyone who has some (I don't care which, if they're big or small) please send all of them to me through zipped doc files, acrobat reader format, ptb files, I don't care just send them to me.
While I'm at it, I wanna thank ERIC for his articles (specially this one). They can really help a guy in desper ;)

Here's a quick Idea...

Download, Power Tab and then write your own sweeping licks to practice... Just a thought... Sweep picking is using Arpeggios mainly, write out your own...

Carvinite
06-28-2004, 04:40 PM
so you think you can sweep pick??

Ive got somthin for ya ;)

This should keep you busy for a few years ;)

js1000_lisboa
06-28-2004, 04:58 PM
you really caught me with that one!;)
But don't you worry: I've now entered summer holidays, so i'll have time to practise. You gave some sweeps I was expecting: big and difficult. But I think I'm up to the challenge:D (yeah, right)
But, with all this, you gave me exactly what I wanted: cool licks.

Carvinite
06-28-2004, 06:32 PM
yea man...You need to check out more jason becker stuff...incase you dont know his story

read this

http://64.162.150.71/Jason'sWords.htm

Check out some more of his stuff at

www.jasonbecker.com

He is an amazing person!

js1000_lisboa
06-28-2004, 06:46 PM
thanks for that man

I think it's cool to know our guitar hero's bio before we know his music.
In my first years as a guitarist I would only listen bands: Metallica, Megadeth, In flames, Slayer, Grip Inc., etc
But now I'm starting to get more into virtuosos music such as Satch, Vai, Yngwie, BECKER, you name 'em.
Speaking of which: could you indicate me some of his (becker) best songs? I'm not much into Jason Becker, but I'd like to be. If you know some cool songs of other guys to, please say which

Carvinite
06-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Anything at all by becker is good.....buy Perpetual Burn and Perspective...those are his 2 studio album's.....It's so sad what happend to him .......But check out the song Rain ,Perpetual Burn, and Air...those songs should be a good start...but...dont just download them...it will help him out and his music is so much better when it's all together....

js1000_lisboa
06-29-2004, 10:52 AM
hei ppl look

I've just downloaded power tab. Great program. Way better than guitar pro.
But in order to produce my own licks and songs I'll need help (AGAIN) from you guys: Does domebody have a detailed manual about the program? I'd really appreciate this one, 'cause the program seems to require some knowledge of music and standard notation (two things I'm not very good at) and so, I think I'll need some help from a manual. I tried the internet but I didn't find what I was looking to. Can somebody help me?:rolleyes:

Andrea79
07-03-2004, 02:39 PM
@js1000_lisboa:
Hello there.
I don't really think there's such a detailed guide for ptb :( ... so, you'll have to play around with your new toy for a while, but it doesn't take that long to get familiar with it. The only big lack of the program is the fact that you can't enter notes directly, but you have to enter the tab and it generates the music notation. No big deal, though.

@carvinite
Serrana ptb, wicked! Ahaha, I can play the last 2 bars :D