PDA

View Full Version : Hi All

steve0192
06-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd better introduce myself, so here goes.

I'm 38 now, I started playing the guitar at 5, so I find it hard
to remember when I didnt play.

I've been classically trained and took lessons from 5 to when
I finally left university ~ all in a classical style.

I'd always loved rock and blues. I got my first electric at 12
then realised that this was a very different instrument to the
classical guitar.

I exclusively used a pick for the first few years of playing the electric
but missed the tools and techniques that my classical training brought
to the floor. I found that I just didnt have the speed and accuracy that
came for free when I played finger style.

By 16 I'd fused my classical and rock style to a degree that I nolonger
used a pick at all, and that is how I've played ever since.

I went through a real shredding phase when Yngwie etc started to
appear, but it's not a style that I've carried through. However
once you done the work in aquiring those types of techniques,
they dont ever really leave you, and it's nice to be able to drop
those kind or runs into my playing ~ especially when most peoples
idea of finger style electric guitar starts and ends with Mark
Knopfler.

I'll look forward to talking to you all. and contributing to the
forums.

Regards

Steve

Zatz
06-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Steve!

Welcome to IbreatheMusic!

You've had a good deal of training and you seem to have to share a lot. See you on the forums!

Looking forward to meeting you around!

Warm regards,
Zatz.

mjo
06-23-2004, 07:39 PM
Hi Steve, welcome !

I'm, also looking forward to your participation in the forums

-best
:Mike

Black_the_Sky
06-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Welcome Steve.. I envy your starting at 5. I started 3 years ago at 31 after my wife bought me a guitar as a surprise anniversary gift.

After all those years of wishing for one and my wife buying me one it dawned on me, "Damn, I could have just gone out and bought one myself... what was stopping me?.. Duh!" heh.

Anyway, glad to have you aboard :)

Koala
06-24-2004, 03:03 AM
Hey steve welcome to ibreathe! Im sure youll make a great addition to the community!

Bongo Boy
06-24-2004, 03:33 AM
Welcome aboard. I hope you can find the time and wherewithal to post a few things you've done--it would really be inspiring even if maybe you think it's not much.

I'm not what I'd call an 'aware' musician. I haven't a clue, actually. For the first time in my life, only last week, I saw Lindsey Buckinham (or whatever) from Fleetwood do his finger-thing and I was blown away. May not mean squat to you, but to see that style used to produce THAT sound really impressed me. Anything at all you care to share what you've learned will be much appreciated by many of us, I'm sure.

I've probably just embarassed myself thru a flagrant display of ignorance, but hey, that's what Bongo is all about.

steve0192
06-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks to you all for the welcome and I hope I can contribute
to some of the discussions.

When I first discovered this site I was amazed at the wealth
of information in the articles and the friendlieness of the forums.
I hope to be able to give a little back for all I have already
been able to take away with me.

sugarbee
06-25-2004, 05:47 AM
hey and welcome,
These forums really are a great place to be and the articles are incredible also. We have a really good mix of people. Hope you like it here! Don't be timid, jump in wherever you feel the urge! It's easier than you might think (I was pretty snail like at first, but it wore off!)Hopefully we'll see you around!

Oh, and Bongo Boy, If you are ignorant then I'll join you, I think Lindsey Buckingham is a fantastic player as well, I don't know much about it either, but if it's good to you then it's good! I feel pretty inferior compared to soo many of the musicains in here, but we're all still here right? It's our diversities that make this site so great and so welcoming. Everybody makes their own contribution! And you have some terrific posts in here, i have enjoyed them, so cut yerself some slack, eh? :D :cool:

Bongo Boy
06-25-2004, 05:59 AM
Thanks Sugarbee! But heh, I really use 'ignorant' in a pretty literal sense. I mean, even though it may sound self-deprecating, I only mean in it a literal "does not know" sense. So, ignorance is a situation I want to change, but not a situation I consider a personal slam. We're ALL ignorant about something, right?

Oh man, that guy brought a tear to my eye the other night--he and Stevie were really dialing in to some personal history there, too, and that didn't hurt. He may not be the most dynamic dude on stage (i.e., theatrics), but he knocked down some serious music. Whoooo.

Sort of reminded me of Lou Reed on David Letterman like 10 years ago. Lou finished his set, had not moved his body more than one foot during the entire show--the audience was aghast, and Letterman said, "There ya go. None of that jumpin' around crap...just some great kick-butt music." (Or something like that)

So back to the topic (uh gee, do I digress?), I make no excuse, nor do I feel too badly about being 'ignorant'. If I weren't, there wouldn't be much reason to go on, eh?