PDA

View Full Version : My first gig :(

LuisSavesTheDay
06-20-2004, 08:36 PM
I had my first gig last saturday. It was soooooooooo badddddddddddddddd.
We were just supposed to play 3 songss since we were notified one day before the show, and we had formed a band in just a few hours. In pracice it was great. We were playin everything perfect, and it sond good. Then when we went to preform, things started messing up. Transitionts were way off, people were plain wrong parts, and tempo was either to fast or to slow. We played sandman, fuel, and one of hour one songs. Just incase you dont know, the songs weplayed were REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY easy. What the hell happened!? I need a boost in confidence. After we were done with fuel, it was just quiet. No applause or anything. I wanna say it was because of the late notice that we played bad, but the songs were really easy. Any suggestions?

Malcolm
06-20-2004, 10:29 PM
All I can say is hang in, practice some more, and I bet the next time will be better.

We play nursing homes, and sometime when we finish there is no reaction --- However, most of the time one or two of the nurses will clap and then go wake everybody up ...... hang in.

metaljustice83
06-21-2004, 01:44 AM
you can only get better by doing it again. It will come around w/ experience. And you got up there and played theres a lot to be said for that.

GuitarDreamer20
06-21-2004, 02:41 AM
Hey dude,

Just hang in there! :) Let me ask you something, were you ever great at something the first time you did it? I mean really AWESOME...I doubt it. It was your FIRST gig. Don't be so hard on yourself, and tell your bandmates the same. It's tough up there! You're putting yourself in front of everyone and essentially saying, "this is an expression of me"...that's tough b/c you don't know how people are going to react. The thing you have to realize is that no matter what, there is ALWAYS going to be people who don't like what you are doing, and just the same, there will ALWAYS be people that DO. It's just life. Stop trying to impress everybody and just have fun and be YOU. Don't worry about screwing up. It happens. If you didn't make a mistake, how would you ever learn? Also, I have to ask you one more question...how would you ever know what's GOOD if you didn't have the BAD? You wouldn't have anything to compare. What it all boils down to man is just more practice and experience giging. You'll see...each time it will get a little easier, and a little easier. That's all I can tell ya! Stick with it man! You CAN do it!:)

Mike

LuisSavesTheDay
06-21-2004, 03:37 AM
thnx guys :). Its just stinks the way we played everything perfect during practice, and then we messed up when we were preforming. The crowd was SO DEAD BEAT, that we had to improvise and make stuff up on stage. If it werent for my friends leader skills, we wouldve been up **** creek.

Koala
06-21-2004, 03:46 AM
Hey Luis, nothing to worry about. Not to scare any of the guys in here, but thats usually the way the first gig goes, its sort of like your first date so dont take it personal. Sometimes the gear can go wrong, stagefright might hit, or somebody plays something wrong and throws off the whole band, or someone doesnt show up, or you break a string right in the middle of your solo,or someone gets pissed by someone else doing something wrong so he looses concentration, etc etc etc So theres nothing to worry about, i mean, take it seriously and learn from the experience but just laugh the bad feeling off and blame the drummer if anyone asks...:D jk. youll be alright.

sugarbee
06-21-2004, 05:09 AM
And don't forget that it's not always just the first gig, there are bound to be things that you can't control and they'll pop up unexpectedly no matter how prepared you are. There could be a belligerant drunk sitting in the front row, there could be a problem with the lights, a crappy sound system, the list goes on and on. The only thing you can do is be as prepared as you can be, and with such little notice it sounds like you guys did your best. If the crowd can't be respectful of your efforts don't take it personally. Just keep going. As has been said before, it was your first gig. Be proud of what you did accomplish and just take it as an experience to build on. And Kudos to you for taking it on with such short notice, that can be intimidating, so be proud of it, even if it was imperfect, so what? You still did it.

theguitarist
06-21-2004, 05:17 AM
Well offcourse practice is the key to success,but you should not be afraid of getting on to the stage.Even if you fail actually you succeded because you've had and experience.The best sword is the one which is beaten the most.So have hardrock practice and go to the stage.My guitar teacher always keep pushing me to take part in every compation.first i used to let it go but now i know it's important.So theres no need to regret.

Exdeath
07-11-2004, 09:47 PM
For me and my band it was the other way around, almost.

At practise it sounded so-so. We had had 2 weeks to practice for this gig so we quickly found a singer and rehearsed five songs. Then when the gig came it was absolutely magical!!!! Everyone was dead-on and it was perfect!

Now for our second gig 3 weeks later, our last 5 + 3 more songs.
For this one we hadnīt prectised more than one additional time since the last gig (bad move). So everything went straight to hell. It was an outdoor gig anbd it started raining like hell, it almost felt like it rained straight upwards from below, and well... I canīt really say anything that everything that could went wrong.

So yeah, just hang in there try to take it with a smile and Iīm sure that it wasnīt quite as bad as you experienced it, it usaly isnīt ;)

Eccojedi
07-13-2004, 04:05 AM
Just finished my first gig, and we blew everyone away, especially since every other band had been a crap-metal band.

A bit over two weeks ago, Erin (singer/songwriter/co-producer) got a call from the events manager at my college asking our band to play a 45 minute set outside the radio station for a party that was being simulcasted. Erin and I had never actually -done- anything live at this point, and we had no band to work with. we tried for about a week, and eventually got the best drummer on campus to come aboard. However, we were still out most of the equipment and most of the band until very late in the game. We practiced a lot of songs keyboard - vocals, but only until about tuesday was Dan (the drummer) able to work with us. We didn't actually have a band formed until Thursday using a professional bassist from Toledo and a guitarist we recorded with earlier in the term, and practiced a few hours every day to learn songs until the gig on Saturday night. Everything went really well except for a few out of tune spots on the guitar (and the incident where we all forgot how the song went...)

Invisible100
07-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice. And then practice some more.

And a bit more.

Get my point? :)

You are not going to be great first time. Suck it up and get practicing again, so that you will be better next time. And look at it this way - at least you had the balls to get up onstage and do it. A lot of people would never even have to courage to do that.

:)

RockSuperstar
07-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Another thing i find is that my band usually has a stinker of a gig every so often. Its good though, it stops us from thinking we're above making mistakes!

That said, we're well rehearsed so even a gig that we think is a shocker often goes down fine with the audience. You sorta learn ways to pull a gig out of a bad situation!

Invisible100
07-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Another thing i find is that my band usually has a stinker of a gig every so often. Its good though, it stops us from thinking we're above making mistakes!

That said, we're well rehearsed so even a gig that we think is a shocker often goes down fine with the audience. You sorta learn ways to pull a gig out of a bad situation!

This is exactly right! You have to remember that most punters (probably 99% of them) will have NO musical experience or background, other than listening to music, so a good number of flubs and cock-ups on the band's part will be completely missed. :)

The only time that this becomes a major issue is if you play VERY well-known tracks (like Metallica to a rock crowd!!) and play them badly - a crowd will simply NOT forgive you for playing a good song badly. Which is why when it comes to covers, I would advise that you go for stuff that people might know a bit, rather than really, really well (i.e. pick an "album track", NOT a single - (e.g.) if you want to do a Metallica track, don't do "Enter sandman" or "Nothing else matters", do "Blackened" or "The thing that should not be" - still cool tracks but a bit less well-known).

You have to remember that rock crowds will have mostly all been to a zillion gigs where a zillion covers bands played a set of virtually the same songs (and in most cases murdered them in the process!). If I have to hear one more cover band butchering "Sweet child o' mine", I might well be forced to kill the guitarist in that band! If you are going to play covers, just make sure that you play them well!

:)