PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Alert!

AngryBot
10-20-2002, 02:57 AM
Hi there everyone, im sure you get lots of guy like me, but i purchased my first guitsr today and to be perfectly frank i don't have the first clue what to do, i know the basic chords and that is it, i just wanna know how to get myself started, should i get lessons? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Guni
10-20-2002, 05:04 PM
Hi AngryBot and welcome to iBreathe!!!

Well, to be honest there are quite a few beginners on the board but I think that 1 day is a new record :D

First of all I suggest that you have a browse through the beginners forum. There are quite some threads that might be interesting to you.

Second: Lemme ask why you bought the guitar. I mean you must have some kind of goal in your mind.... This will help us to get you going ....

As a first step I suggest that you pick a song that you know well. Goal is to play the chords while singing the lyrics. Start with a tune that doesn't have too many chords in it, say 3 to 4. Have a look around in a local music store and grab a copy of a folk book (or by your favourite band ..) All those books include diagrams of the chords used.

Goon tunes to start out with include chords like: C Am G Dm Em D etc ...

samples: Stand by Me, House of the rising Sun (quite a few chords in there), or if you wanna play some blues you could go for 'Before you accuse me'.

Hope that gives you some first ideas. Just ask if there's anything in specific you'd like to know.

Guni

AngryBot
10-20-2002, 05:17 PM
the guitar i bought is an acoustic epiphone AJ10, but to be honest im mainly interested in the electric side of things, but heard that it's good to learn on acoustic first because it strengthens your fingers. but im gonna take up your advice and start learning simple songs, maybe something simple by the red hot chillipeppers.

Zatz
10-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Hi AngryBot,

As you've bought acoustic and seem to like RHCP you could try to play "My Friends" or "Breaking The Girl" to feel the original acoustic sound but in my opinion peppers are not that easy to start playing with. Some tracks may seem really simple but you might get puzzled with bass line and rythm part. Anyways good luck. You are definitely right about your intention to learn guitar playing your fave band - that's the right way to go to feel love for instrument!

Zatz.