PDA

View Full Version : Help with Eric's 3NPS article, kinda newbish :(

Wicked_Dreams
05-27-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm currently reading this:

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/86

Now, I understand the whole thing is based on the key of F, and that by moving the root notes (And the others, accordingly), I can play a scale in any key I want, neato.

However, and for some reason, I can't seem to "connect" these patterns together in my head, so I'l always stuck with one at a time.

Also, the author points out that these patterns are different from major scale patters, how is that? If counting from root to root, it's always TTSTTTS.

EricV
05-28-2004, 01:03 AM
I pointed out that they are different from major scale patterns, because the "classical" major patterns that most people learn at first have 3 notes on some strings, and 2 on others... you can see those "classical" ones here, if you scroll down:
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/90

The 3NPS patterns are slightly different. They are based on the major scale, but they have 3 notes on each string. Thatīs the difference.

Could you define why you canīt connect those patterns ? Itīs tough to understand what the problem is. Is it just hard to memorize them, or see how they are put besides each other, covering the fretboard ?

One good way of learnign these patterns is memorizing one of them, then using that one to improvise, move it along the fretboard according to the key youīre in, and then, after you thoroughly learned and used it, move on to the next, adjacent pattern... slowly building up until you eventually have memorized and explored all of them. That way, you should be able to "see" those patterns on the fretboard regardless of what key youīre in.
It takes a while, and itīs even a bad idea to rush it... so take your time and slowly keep adding one pattern to the next.
Hope I was able to answer your questions
Eric

phantom
05-28-2004, 07:39 AM
hey wicked....

as i understand your problem is that combining the patterns makes you trouble.
here is a little exercise for you. i call it "string packages". see ptab for examples.

Play the i.e.
F major scale 3nps on the E and A string . first pattern. then
F major scale 3nps on the E and A string . second pattern. then
F major scale 3nps on the E and A string . third pattern.. and so on

like that you always have six notes (3 on E string, 3 an A string) of the same scale. everytime you shift position you start from the next scale degree and so you combine the patterns horizontally.

now - same as above, but on the A and D string. all up the neck (and down).
then D and G string, then G and B string then B and E string.

that gives you 5 "string packages" and really helps learnig the patterns not only "per position" but how they connect as well.

hope that helped,

sven

phantom
05-28-2004, 07:50 AM
here is a loooong lick.
it is combining all the patterns across the neck with a positionshift on each string. shifting in this case is usually done with the pinky sliding up to the new position.
i you play the whole thing down again (i didn't tab it out) the postionshifts are done with the first finger sliding down to the next position.

sven

Wicked_Dreams
05-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Mucho thanks to both of you, I'm pretty tired now, will check this first thing in the morning.