PDA

View Full Version : "C" instruments, the guitar & PowerTab

Bongo Boy
09-27-2002, 12:18 AM
My apologies but I know I still don't have this transposing thing straight. Let me ask this in a weird way, please.

The lowest note on the treble staff, the E, has a certain frequency. If I select the lowest E on string 4 of the guitar, PowerTab will write it as this same E.

1. Is the actual pitch of the E that's played this way an octave higher that the actual pitch of the E as written on the treble staff?

2. My fakebook is for "C instruments". When I use PowerTab to write the exact same music, should I select fingerings in PowerTab that result in notes that are in the same place on the staff as those in the fakebook? Or, should I select fingerings in PowerTab that place the notation one octave higher than that of my fakebook?

3. Is it typical that, for piano music, a middle C on the keyboard is notated with a no-kidding middle C (halfway between the treble and bass staffs)? Or, is piano music written an octave lower than played as well.

So far, all discussion of guitar as 'transposing instrument' has not cleared this up for me. Sorry--but I'm extremely confused.

szulc
09-27-2002, 04:27 AM
Guitar is written to be played an octave lower than actual pitch to avoid using too many ledger lines below the staff. Middle C on a piano is one octave higher than the C you play on a guitar written the same way ( Between the bass (f) and treble (G) clefs). Middle C according to guitar music is the 3rd fret of the A string, but that actual pitch of middle C is the first fret of the B string.

E2 82.407 (Low E String) (Written as E1 for guitar)
A2 110.000 (A String)
C3 130.813 Guitar (Music) MIDDLE C
D3 146.832 (D String)
E3 164.814 ( Actual Pitch of Piano Note that is in the same place on staff as Hi E String)
G3 195.998 (G String)
B3 246.942 (B String)
C4 261.626 Actual MIDDLE C as played by Piano using Piano Music
E4 329.628 (Hi E String)

The lowest note on the treble staff, the E, has a certain frequency. If I select the lowest E on string 4 of the guitar, PowerTab will write it as this same E.

This is E3 ( 1 E below Middle C)

Question 2. YES
Question 3a. YES 3b. NO

Bongo Boy
09-27-2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by szulc
Guitar is written an octave lower than actual pitch to avoid using too many ledger lines above the staff.

I'm thinking you meant that it's written an octave higher?

1. E at ~330Hz is the low E on the treble clef, yes?
2. Guitar string #1 is an E at 330Hz, and
3. Guitar music would use the E at the top of the staff to mean an E equivalent to the open 1st string.

This makes sense to me because the actual pitches of all the open guitar strings are well below A440, the lowest A on the treble clef. The table below is what I'm talking about--the far right column indicates the staff line of the corresponding pitch (t1 means first line of treble, b4 means 4th line of bass, etc).

szulc
09-27-2002, 11:34 AM
Guitar is written to be played an octave lower than actual pitch to avoid using too many ledger lines below the staff.

It was late!