PDA

View Full Version : William Leavitts Method for guitar

MikewillShred
09-21-2002, 08:36 PM
I have been studying William Leavitts "A Modern Method for Guitar" volumes 1,2,3. In the piece "Duet in G" pg. 32 bar 15 of the first guitar part I have ran in to problem. The F# line has a sharp accidental on it. I am under the assumption that he means that this is an F double sharp(G). In the same bar on beat 3 there is a natural sign on the F# line. Does this mean to bring the F double sharp back to an F# or to bring to the actual F natural. I am pretty sure that the natural sign would mean to play F natural but this is an awkward instance. Im sure many of you have this book so if you dont care, just flip to the page real quick and youll see. Thanks a lot.

george_menhorn
09-22-2002, 03:17 AM
Notice the F# is in parenthesis. He is just writing it as a reminder that the note should be F#. Not Fx. The natural brings the F# back to an F.

--
George

MikewillShred
09-22-2002, 07:28 PM
Yes, I noticed that it was in parenthesis but there are two things that lead me to believe that he means to play an F x. First, in bar ten he has the fingerings written in for same note and the finger says fret(G). Also, I do not understand why he would put a reminder that far into the song because in there are many F#'s written before this without any reminder. Very puzzling.

Guni
09-22-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by MikewillShred
First, in bar ten he has the fingerings written in for same note and the finger says fret(G). He's using the 3rd finger for the F#. The 3 doesn't mean the 3rd fret.

Also, I do not understand why he would put a reminder that far into the song because in there are many F#'s written before this without any reminder. Very puzzling. Adding a (#) like this is pretty common if the sharp was changed to a natural sign before (the f in bar 14).

And in bar 10: as he doesn't show the key signature on every staff he's also giving you the same reminder.

Laterz,

Guni