PDA

View Full Version : Site slowing down?

DanF
04-09-2004, 04:02 AM
I was going to call this something cute like "The need for speed (not picking)" but I was worried no one would read it so I figured I'd call it what it is.

Am I the only one that has noticed the site is significantly slower than it used to be? I like to pop in and read the threads but it's getting to be a pain sitting here waiting for things to load etc. I'm not on a slow machine or connection either (that's probably part of my impatience problem right there.

Any thought's Guni? Weblogs show any bottlenecks? I have noticed it seems like traffic is picking up a lot (good and bad)

-Dan

EricV
04-09-2004, 09:59 AM
I have noticed that the site often slows down at a certain time of the day, like i.e. around between 8 and 10 PM EST... during other times of the day, I havenīt noticed a slow-down yet, though
Guni ?

Eric

LarryJ
04-09-2004, 01:18 PM
I'm on cable and I haven't noticed a thing.

What connections are you two using?

Bongo Boy
04-09-2004, 03:32 PM
I have a 300KB/s connection and yes, this site in particular has been very slow lately. At times, such as last night, I just don't bother. One recurring symptom is failure to paint all the icons on the forums main page--the icons on the left of the forums list that indicates new messages, and the icon in the last msg posted box at the right-hand side. I have to hit Refresh 2 to 3 times to get them to paint properly. I just attribute this to web technology in general. :)

Cuno
04-09-2004, 03:54 PM
I've also noticed this at times, but more so when there was an amazon.com ad - that ad usually loaded very slow. The only ads now are google, and they seem to be fast. I'm gonna try to link directly into a non-ad page the next time to see if that helps.

Clive
04-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Hmmm.

I'm on a standard 512k ADSL connection at home in South Africa (where we're pretty limited for international bandwidth) and I haven't noticed any times of the day being faster than any others.

The front page loads in between 4-5 secs for me.

Although traffic is increasing, the server itself is still pretty under-utilized. The server was also upgraded at the beginning of the year to twice the spec of last year.

The fact that the performance is fine for some of us and not others points towards particular networks feeling the pinch... I know nothing about this stuff tho ;-) ... Guni ?

Clive

Guila
04-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Mine is slower than usual sometimes..

hol0point
04-09-2004, 05:50 PM
I also noticed the slowdown. I starting seeing it once the switch to the new message board format was rolled over. Though I like this format better its seems to be slower for me.

sugarbee
04-09-2004, 06:44 PM
yeah it's been slow for me too, I haven't even been able to read the stuff a couple of times, get too tired of waiting for it to load! May be this weird Taiwanese connection, it seems to go a bit wonky sometimes, but just in case..yeah, s'been slow.

DanF
04-09-2004, 11:39 PM
I'm on a 2 MB/s connection with a 2 Ghz processor and 512 MB of DDR400 ram, I don't think it's on my end ;)

Sakkaku
04-09-2004, 11:53 PM
I'm on a 128k connection, and it's not slow for me. I have a 2.6 GHZ, and 1 GIG of DDR400 ram, and it's not slow here either ;)

2MB/s connections are too damn expensive in NZ.

Guni
04-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Well, I honestly can't see any problems with the server - system stats are all fine and we have enough resources to handle 1000 user online at once :-)

I'm on cable and lately I have noticed a decrease in performance in general. Sometimes I can't get to some sites at all - ok, this might be a local problem but maybe there's some overall problem with the internet (if this is possible at all). I will try to dig up some info and contact our server hosting company ...

Guni

Koala
04-13-2004, 01:50 AM
I'm on a 2 MB/s connection with a 2 Ghz processor and 512 MB of DDR400 ram, I don't think it's on my end ;)
Dan, you pervert :D!

Cuno
04-26-2004, 06:41 AM
Right now it is like running in cold syrup

Guni
04-26-2004, 06:52 AM
I noticed that as well ... am on it ...

Guni
04-26-2004, 06:56 AM
better now?

EricV
04-26-2004, 06:59 AM
For me it is, yeah. Around the time Cuno posted, the site was a bit slow for me as well, even though not as slow as it gets sometimes at night ( emailed you about it ).
Cool !
Eric

Guni
04-26-2004, 07:05 AM
I think I have found the problem and sorted it - issue should be solved.

Eric, your mail was very helpful - I moved some server tasks to a later time, that's why we experienced the slowdown just now. This way I was able to isolate the problem.

Thanks guys - lemme know if you ever experience a slow down again.

DanF
04-27-2004, 03:13 AM
It does seem snappier. Thanks Guni

-Dan

Cuno
04-27-2004, 06:44 AM
Yep, it's faster now. I have experienced slowdowns for some days, i guess it was during the morning jobs then. Thanks Guni!