PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite JSB motive

szulc
09-16-2002, 03:27 AM
This is a fragment of my favorite JSB solo ( Presto from Violin Patitia 1).

EricV
09-17-2002, 12:44 PM
James, very nice.
What do you think of this one:

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/suite.jpg

( from "Cello Suite #6" )

szulc
09-17-2002, 10:39 PM
I noticed a similarity between the VP1 measure 22 and the CS6 measure 81.
Here is CS 6 Measure 81.
Here is the real Kicker My previous example was measures 18-21 of the VP1. ( Which is my second favorite JSB motive AND WAS THE NEXT THING I was to post, and still is!)

szulc
09-17-2002, 10:41 PM
Here is the 22nd and 23rd measure.

Notice the similarity? The first 18 notes are identical except a minor 3rd apart.

EricV
09-17-2002, 10:51 PM
Wow, that really IS interesting.
( Might this be a Bacj- "lick" ? :) )

You know, I remember going through the CD-collection of a friend of mine one day ( when I was like 15 or so ), and he had one day called "Toccatas & Fugues"... feat. several of Bach´s toccata´s and fugues ( D´uh ) played on a church organ.
I just took this home and listened to it, and I really was blown away... I mean, I of course knew the damous "Toccata in D-Minor" ( plus all the not-really-successful electric guitar-versions of it ), but I was just completely amazed by the beauty of these compositions, combined with the powerful sound of that organ.

I since then read several bios of Bach, and I really am amazed over and over again by the work of this man, all his compositions and the amazing stuff he came up with.

Thanks for pointing out that similarity...
Eric

szulc
09-17-2002, 11:09 PM
I believe that JSB was a mathematician and artist!
Read the book Bach Godel Esher the eternal golden braid.
I truly believe that it is the underlying mathematical order in his works that make us all drawn to it, and what makes it possible to get through the dissonances. Bach is my IDOL, I will always strive to compose music with ORDER and beauty. Imagine this guy in today's world of Delays and Synths (not to mention MIDI and Sequencers).
Imagine the fugue forms that he would be creating, with several multi-second delays and pitch transposers!
If Bach were alive today he would play jazz and we would not remember Charlie Parker or Coltrane!

Look at all the famous musicians who pay this man homage by thanking him on their liner notes an man who was born 317 years ago! He died before my country even existed!

EricV
09-18-2002, 10:16 PM
I do sometimes think about what would be if those musicians ( not only classical musicians like Bach, but also rather modern ones such as Jimi Hendrix ) would be around these days, in the days of digital recording, pro audio, the harmonizer etc.

Someone just said "Well, if Jimi still would be around, he´d most likely be a bluesman, playing "The WInd Cries Mary" in a small club down the street"

But I happen to think that if those guys would be around these days, they´d still create innovative, ground-breaking music, using todays gear to it´s full potential.

One thing I especially like about JS Bach... he was a church organist, too, playing the organ throughout worships. And usually, before the choir would start to sing, the organist was expected to play some short kinda intro, just to set the key and tempo. Just some short thing, nothing spectacular.
Well Bach was a virtuoso on the organ, and he played some stuff like the things he later used in his toccata´s and fugues, really beautiful and also technically challenging stuff.
Some of the people really were intimidated ann angry because of that, but he didn´t care.

Did you ever see that movie by and with YoYoMa, where he performs those final cello suites of Bach ? Where there are ballet dancers dancing to that music ? It´s a great little movie, I just recently watched it on TV.
And I also saw Yo on the Morning SHow, and when he was asked what kind of stuff he plays at home, just to relax and play something really beautiful, he replied by playing the first few bars of the "Preludium in C Major", from the "Well-Tempered Clavier" ( another rather popular piece )

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/well.jpg

Nuff said
Eric

szulc
09-21-2002, 12:21 PM
BWT: The Bach Partita is BWV 1002 ? (If I'm Correct)

BWV 1001 - Presto

Do you happen to know the BWV on Cello Suite #6

BWV 1012 - Prelude

szulc
08-08-2003, 01:36 AM
Cool Bach Ideas

Andrew
08-08-2003, 07:43 AM
Ericv, have you been reading some Paul Gilbert magazine articles, by any chance?

EricV
08-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Yup, certainly. Back in the day, I collected those and learned a lot from them.
I guess I know why you are asking... yes, that excerpt of the Preludium is very similar or even identical to PG´s arrangement of it. I guess it´s because I learned it that way back then...
Warm regards
Eric

Andrew
08-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Yeah, i tabbed that one out into powertab from the magazine. Its a very cool piece to play on guitar, and its really easy to play on piano too.

Bongo Boy
08-15-2003, 05:57 AM
Where is Haydn relative to Bach and barouque in your opinion? Obviously I'm a musical moron--I have no clue as to the centuries these guys played in--but I remember buying and playing a lot of Bach--and then falling in love with Haydn shortly thereafter. Totally different music as I recall--but yet, is Haydn part of the barouque, or did he come later enough to fall into 'classical'.

Yes, I'm embarassed to ask this--but I don't know where else to go to ask it.

The Bash
08-15-2003, 06:37 AM
J. S. Bach (1685-1750)
D. Scarlatti (1685-1757)
G F Handel (1685-1759)
J Haydn (1732-1809)
W. A. Mozart (1756-1791)
L. Beethoven (1770-1827)

Hayden generally falls under the Classical Period.
A lot of people consider Bach's death the end of the Baroque Period Musically. Not necessarly his death but around that time frame. The lines are kinna fuzzy as the periods kinna melt toghter.
But Bach and Haydn make kinna neat bookends.