PDA

View Full Version : Quick Standard Notation question

JeffN
04-02-2004, 05:40 AM
Hey, I remember reading that when reading music, you should play everything an octave higher than it is written. Is this the case for music written for normal instruments, or music written specifically for guitar? Thanks.

Bongo Boy
04-02-2004, 06:59 AM
It's not really that you play it an octave higher than written, it's that guitar music is written an octave higher than actually played. If you get a fake book, for example, the music isn't specifically written for guitar. So, if you want to play the music as written, you have play it as though it were a guitar score written an octave higher. Music that is intended specifically for guitar (such as PowerTab, for example) is written an octave higher than the actual notes played by the indicated TAB. I have no idea if this is done for any other instrument.

JeffN
04-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Oh, I see. Thanks a lot. I actually did get a real book :) I was wondering because soem of the chrods sounded much more clearer and better if I played them an octave higher than written.

RandyEllefson
04-05-2004, 12:43 PM
It's not generally done for other instruments. The reason (I think) for doing it with guitar is that an unsual number of notes would fall between the two staffs (bass and treble) for rhythm parts, making it unneccesarily confusing to read.

AUTIOK
04-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Its good for chord melodies and keeping the melody out from the middle of your own chords, keeping the melody on top.

spookywooky
04-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Oh, I see. Thanks a lot. I actually did get a real book :) I was wondering because soem of the chrods sounded much more clearer and better if I played them an octave higher than written.
One thing to remember about playing chords from a fake book is that they can be played anywhere on the neck. Seriously, just choose whichever one you think sounds best or works best in whatever context you're playing it (for instance, you'd probably use different [higher, inversions] voicings if you were playing with a bass player).

- Jack