PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, I'm new!

sugarbee
03-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Hello there,
I'm new to this place, and pretty new to forums in general, so bear with me!;)
I'm a 27 year old singer/songwriter from Canada, but at present I am disguised as an english teacher working in Taiwan! I've been missing a community of musicians so, here I am! I've been performing solo ever since I was little and have been writing music since I was about 14. I'm anxious to talk with other songwriters about just about anything. A few years ago I recorded a collection of 12 original songs and since then have been working on various projects, someday I hope to be able to do what I love full time, but for now, teaching english is paying my bills! Once I return to Canada this summer I'm planning to give it my best shot and would be interested to hear any advice from some of you more experienced musicians out there! Looking forward to getting to know this site and talk with lots of people!

Have a good one!

Koala
03-21-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey Sugarbee, welcome to the IBM forums, i think youve come to the right place. Umm I guess id reommend you start off by reading Eric Vs. article on Making it, theres probablly a lot of stuff you know in there, but its worth the shot. And well, well be more than glad to talk music with ya!

Welcome,

metaljustice83
03-22-2004, 03:35 AM
welcome maybe we can get the updates on music in taiwan :) You'll enjoy it here

sugarbee
03-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Well, honestly I don't have much to say about the music in Taiwan, the push is really on sugary, bubble gum pop and boy bands here, which really isn't my thing. I have heard a few rock-ish songs but they don't get much exposure, the market here is saturated with sticky sweet pop ballads and dance music. In some ways I think the music industry here, like a lot of other things is a little bit behind,(mid 90ish sounds sometimes) but I really don't know enough about it to be saying much at all, so I will end there! I have heard some very interesting traditional music however, but the strangest thing to me is the way you can karaoke along with the t.v, they basically broadcast karaoke type shows on several channels where you watch a local sing as the words light up on the bottom of the screen! It's wild!

D-Day
03-22-2004, 03:23 PM
That's different. :p Well, I'm rather new myself, but welcome anyway. :)

oRg
03-22-2004, 05:09 PM
I guess I'll introduce myself as well seeming how everyone else is. I'm fairly new to these forums as well. I'm a 20-year old guitarist from Michigan, USA. I'm a full-time college student pursuing a double major of Music (classical, jazz, modern, and ethnical) and Computer Engineering. I plan on continuing my education well after graduation and hopefully get my PhD in both majors. I'm a big computer nerd and I love both guitars and my computer. I plan on someday starting a collection of guitars (common and rare), with either or one of my careers paying it off. Experience-wise on guitar I've been playing for about 12 years and I'm self-taught (it's not necessarily a good thing). I'm taking musical classes in college mainly focusing on jazz and classical music. I love to incorporate different styles of music together to form a fluid and beautiful composition. I also play drums, bass, keyboards, and sing in a one man band. I don't plan on releasing anything nor do I plan on giving anyone my songs. I play for cathartic reasons and for my own personal/spiritual enlightenment. I can seem pessimistic at times but it's just that I have an odd sense of humor and usually I'm joking around, which I tend to do alot.

Natmusiclover
04-14-2004, 02:22 PM
hi i write songs as well!!! thats why im trying to learn chords on guitar!!what type of songs do you write? i write boring really bad pop ballad songs!!

Nat
music rox my sox!!!

sugarbee
04-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Hey Nat,

What kind of songs do I write? Well, that's a hard one. If I had to stylize my writing I'd say pop-acoustic-rock, or something like that, At least when I write on guitar. I've had my style compared to Sarah Mclachlan, Tori Amos (when I write on piano) Jewel, and a few others. But I have also tried my hand at stuff that has blusey or jazzy influences. I pretty much just start with an idea and it becomes what it becomes. ButI have written my share of pop-ish ballads, most of them in the beginning, but they're a good way to start, and hey, there are a lot of darn good pop ballads out there! So don't sell yourself short. If you want to hear a sample I have a tune on the show and tell forum. The thread is entitled "Please help me retitle this!!!" (I sometimes have a terrible time with titles.!:confused: ) And any ideas are very welcome. I've gotten quite a few replies, some really good ones but I am still thinking about them all. Hard to decide.
Anyway, hope you enjoy it here, I have found this place to be a great place, lots to learn and lot's of really knowlegable folks. (I'm self taught, so my technical know how is pretty limited) but the articles are awesome and there are some very interesting topics!

Keep playing and writing!
Amy

Black_the_Sky
04-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Welcome Sugarbee!

theguitarist
04-20-2004, 02:44 PM
howdy pardners,
i've recently become a member.I'm 14 years old and from India.I've just picked up guitar as my new instrument(the first one actually).It's cool :cool: to play guitar.I'm impressed how rock stars play thier guitar it's hard to play like that.But some day i will.For the time being i'm havin some trouble finding an apropriate guitar teacher and i've a doubt about my age.In a few months i'll turn 15 so will starting at this age give some trouble and normally in how much time you can say yourself a "Guitarist".

MSH1601
04-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Shouldn't be long if you listen to lots of recomendations and practic your finger pads off.

wild_child
04-20-2004, 04:36 PM
In a few months i'll turn 15 so will starting at this age give some trouble and normally in how much time you can say yourself a "Guitarist".

Zakk Wylde started at 15, nuff said. :cool:

sugarbee
04-21-2004, 05:04 AM
Hey, I started playing guitar at 17! Not that I'm the greatest guitarist, but I'm at a good level for what I do now. I guess it depends on your goals. I'd say start off by learning enough chords to play some tunes you already know and practice the s*** out of them, and go from there. It may be hard going at first but it won't take too long if you want to improve and practice religiously. Good luck and welcome to the site! You'll like it here!

Wannabe
04-21-2004, 06:57 AM
Hi all,

Brett Garsed started playing when he was 12, playing Led Zep. Deep Purple etc BY EAR, that I think is phenominal! I'm 19 and have just started learning how to play and most of the time enjoying it! Although I shouldn't watch Brett play coz he makes it look to easy :) lol. Nah just kidd'n I just play for fun, to see how I can improve and try not to take it to seriously :)

Ange

Black_the_Sky
04-22-2004, 01:04 PM
There's a local Illinois band that plays by me called Twisting Roses. Their lead guitarist/singer is 12! and she is already sponsored by Dean Guitars and has opened for tons of well known artists.

http://www.twistingroses.com/

Wannabe
04-23-2004, 03:07 AM
There's a local Illinois band that plays by me called Twisting Roses. Their lead guitarist/singer is 12! and she is already sponsored by Dean Guitars and has opened for tons of well known artists.

http://www.twistingroses.com/

Far out!!!!! :eek:

Bongo Boy
04-23-2004, 03:10 AM
This phenom happens every now and then. It really rankles my butt. How in the world does ANYONE simply get up one day and suddenly "get it" as far as the fretboard goes? How is that humanly possible? I have to think there is a way to "get it" that does not involve any thinking at all--at least not thinking as I know it. I can hum and whistle new tunes all day--there's no way in the world I can transfer those ideas to the fretboard--not after 2 years of dikking with the damned thing. How is this possible?

Wannabe
04-23-2004, 03:36 AM
This phenom happens every now and then. It really rankles my butt. How in the world does ANYONE simply get up one day and suddenly "get it" as far as the fretboard goes? How is that humanly possible? I have to think there is a way to "get it" that does not involve any thinking at all--at least not thinking as I know it. I can hum and whistle new tunes all day--there's no way in the world I can transfer those ideas to the fretboard--not after 2 years of dikking with the damned thing. How is this possible?

I honestly don't know, I'm no where near 'getting it' and it sometimes I can't even begin to think how they do it! But I just keep on trying to learn the fret board as well as I can, I'm currently teaching myself on my sisters guitar(saving up to get my own) and I'm just finding patterns on the fret board that 'sound right' and trying to remember them then joining patterns together so that they traverse the length of the neck. I really have no idea what I'm playing as far as scales etc. go but I'm finding that it is really helping me to remember where all the notes are. Anyway back on subject, I've been to one clinic with Brett Garsed, who I believe to be one of the 'phenomenon' :) , and from what he has said it seems like just a lot of hard work and dedication and a genuine love for the instrument. I think he was just born to do it :) he said he had three lessons when he started out and his instructor just taught him three songs, no scales etc so he decided to keep teaching himself. It just might be me but to learn three songs in three lessons! I just don't think there's any explanation lol It might not be as hard as it seems to me but I've never had lessons so :rolleyes: Well that's just my take on it :)
So after all my rambling on (reminds me of a song :p ) I don't think I'm any closer to understanding but hopefully it'll happen one day :)

Ange