PDA

View Full Version : Hullo from a keyboard beginner

Frank
03-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Hullo, Everyone,
I am, believe it or not, teaching myself Keyboard/Piano. :eek:
So what am i doing here ?
Well...learning how to play an instrument is a long, slow process that requires some commitment and dedication; while also learning about Music Theory etc.
Doesn't matter if it's a Keyboard or Guitar, there are plenty of areas of common ground.
This forum provides that and more (I have been dropping in since last June)
There are some very helpful and clever people on this forum who are able to assist people learning at all levels.
Quite often, some of the explanations provide a whole new way of looking at issues that trouble people like myself, in the early/intermediate stages of learning Theory etc.
There are often some really great, detailed answers. It would be unfair to single out examples, there are too many.
And, of course, the Articles are really superb !
So, even though i am not playing guitar, (maybe one day) i still find plenty here of interest! :)
Also, i like the look and functionality of the recent make-overs. Further evidence of the dedication and interest this forum generates,
Good job, Everone,
Frank

p.s. i am sure this post is way too long ....sorry !

DanF
03-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Good to see you Frank, there are probably a few guitarists here like myself who dabble on keys also. What genres of music do you favor when you play? (If you've been lurking since June you probably know what I play :P)

-Dan

Koala
03-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Hey Frank welcome to IBM, yep Danīs right im also a keyman (Just got a motif es 8) so im working like crazy on there. Hopefully someday well have some stuff on keyboards and piano and bass, but in the meanwhile any questions that arise letds pot em on here and give each other a hand!

Frank
03-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Dan, Koala,
i like just about all kinds of music, but can't play any of them very well.
I suppose i need to concentrate in one area, but i can't decide which direction to take it in at this moment in time. :confused:

My knowledge of music theory is better than my playing; which makes me believe i think i know what i am doing (Self-delusion is a wonderful thing !)
I'll sit it out on the sidelines for a while, read the posts and work through a few articles,
Thanks again,
Frank

metaljustice83
03-22-2004, 03:37 AM
do I smell some articles comin out of this!!! I think itd be cool to have more various intrument articles. It opens up new doors.

DanF
03-23-2004, 03:17 AM
It's interesting but as much as I love jazz I dislike a lot of "piano jazz" I like classical music on the piano. The only jazz piano guy that I really dig is (I'm going to get shot for not saying Bill Evans) Keith Jarret. At least what I've heard of his playing is more palatable to me than a lot of other stuff.

As far as piano tips the only one I have is to always use the Hanon fingerings for scales :P That's from Mark Levine. (You can pick up Hanon Virtuoso Pianist in 60 exercises for ~$6 at your local music shop, I hope you can read standard notation though ;) I'd hate to see piano tab!

-Dan

forgottenking2
03-23-2004, 06:58 PM
I play keyboards too... I used to be pretty good at it, now I basically suck, but I am getting back to it.. maybe after six months or so I'll have some of it back...

Frank
03-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Thank You to all who replied (apart from those who later withdrew),

I have, however, decided to withdraw myself and will no longer be accepting replies, Thanks again, everyone,

Frank