PDA

View Full Version : Midnight by Joe Satriani

Firespirit1982
09-10-2002, 11:15 PM
First of all, since I'm a newbie here, let me just say hi to all. :)

Been playing guitar for a while now, though never seriously until quite recently. Now, I've been trying to learn different techniques and styles that in the past I had never even bothered trying.

I've been trying to learn Midnight by Joe Satriani. Now, the tempo, tapping patterns, etc in this song aren't a problem. It's a general thing I've been having trouble with when tapping. I'm creating this nasty sound whenever there's a large distance between my fretting hand and the tapping hand. For example, in Midnight, I'm tapping from open onto the twelfth fret, and its then that I get this terrible sound. How do I eliminate this to get it to sound like the record?

Is this what's referred to as a tap harmonic (I honestly don't know) ? And if so why does it sound so off (wouldn't it just be the octave between the open and the twelfth fret - or am I totally confused)? Is it my cheap guitar? (Ha, and I know what you're all thinking, bad workman, tools, always blames, :p )

Any help much appreciated,
Peter

Knightsaber
09-11-2002, 12:09 AM
hey i learned that song awhile ago, maybe this helps.

try tying a bandana or rag over the first fret, just tight enough to mute the strings. those overtones will kill you.

as for tap harmonics, i don't have all the info, but it's a harmonic formed by tapping twelve frets above a fretted note.

Hope it helps,

Daniel

szulc
09-11-2002, 12:14 AM
Satraini uses a bandana or sock for this live. I saw him in Detroit in 1988 when this first came out. The surfin with the alien tour, it was great and so was Stu Hamm.

EricV
09-11-2002, 10:27 AM
Jennifer Batten has a special string damper. It is tightened to the headstock, and once you need it, you just push it down and it mutes the strings.
That might help too.
Eric

Firespirit1982
09-12-2002, 01:55 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but I get the idea. Thanks a lot guys :)