03-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Type away!

Guni

Guni
03-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Test: uploading 2 files

forgottenking2
03-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Wow!!! I Haven't been on IBM for a few days and now it's all changed!!!! Amazing, it looks great! I'll check it out more and tell you what I think but my first impression: Awesome, great job.

Regards,

Jorge

KFCshred
03-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Everythings done?

That was quick.

Koala
03-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Oh man, im still shaking from the impression, it looks great but im still stumbling around trying to find the stuff. I love it, as usual great job and great choices guys!

Guni
03-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys!!
but im still stumbling around trying to find the stuff. Well, yeah me too.:D

Koala
03-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Hey guys, ive looked around, and it all looks very comfortable, softer , i dunno looks great. A question though, maybe i missed it but is there gonna be a mark all forums read link?

Guni
03-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Hey guys, ive looked around, and it all looks very comfortable, softer , i dunno looks great. A question though, maybe i missed it but is there gonna be a mark all forums read link?Hi Koala - you can find this under Quick links.

There will be some changes in the menu bar soon - like 'threads with no replies' ...

Guni
03-16-2004, 02:59 PM
... or on forum homepage further down there's a text link

chris
03-16-2004, 03:02 PM
[/COLOR]Whewwwhoooo... this is cool. :cool:

Koala
03-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Gotcha Guni, thanks!

mjo
03-16-2004, 03:17 PM
WOW !!
This place is gettin' way to nice, for me :)
Great job !! lotsa' neat stuff to play with.

:Mike

Koala
03-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I AM JUST TESTINGthe newforum software
this is a test
jack
ace
many
rotation
hammer
pull
vibratto
wah

list function´s nice
hghg

------------------------5/7----6----7

------4/5
WHATS PHP?

Carvinite
03-16-2004, 04:18 PM
These forums rule!!!!...I love it!!! :D

Guni
03-16-2004, 04:20 PM
CODE: would be nice to call it TAB ...
PHP: doesn't apply to us - should be removed if no use

And it would be great if anyone could come up with a plugin for notation ...:p

Koala
03-16-2004, 04:27 PM
SO codes ascii tab?

wild_child
03-16-2004, 04:28 PM
liking
the
new

layout

and

features :D

Guni
03-16-2004, 04:40 PM
SO codes ascii tab? It's just to show a coloured version of the code - makes reading a lot easier.

variable name is blue - value is read
like:

$var_test = 'some value';

Don't think this is useful to us.

Guni
03-16-2004, 04:41 PM
image attachment

Carvinite
03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
I wouldnt want to be the guy who took that picture!!!

Bongo Boy
03-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Lot's of interesting info at this site regarind MusicXML and so on, but I find no solution yet:

http://www.brainstormsandraves.com/archives/2002/06/23/musicxml_music_notation_interchange_for_the_intern et/

DanF
03-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Very very cool Guni, I love it.

I dunno about PHP highlighting not being valuable, I was able to help szulc fix some of his PHP and used the highlighting to illustrate :)

Awesome job as usual ;)

-Dan

Shaman_Santana
03-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Wow, top stuff. Great work Guni.

I'd also like to add that i like how when some1 has replied to a thread the email says what they have typed. Thats a cool little feature.

Guni
03-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Wow, top stuff. Great work Guni.

I'd also like to add that i like how when some1 has replied to a thread the email says what they have typed. Thats a cool little feature.Wow! hehe - I didn't notice this one up to now :rolleyes:. I wonder how many more surprises this app has in stock for us. Very nice feature.

metaljustice83
03-16-2004, 06:37 PM
very very cool guni!

Koala
03-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Triple image attach test

Koala
03-16-2004, 06:44 PM
If i get this straight images only display automatically if uploaded one at a time

Guni
03-16-2004, 07:37 PM
If i get this straight images only display automatically if uploaded one at a timeexactly - that's it.

There's another function which we will test: attached images show up as thumbnails.

Cuno
03-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Uhuru i up the mountain?yep, that is the way it is the way that it is that way

This works great, even on safari :) Nice lookin!

Spekko
03-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Oh. My. God. What did you do to the forums?!

...Teehee, just kidding. They look great! It looks very crisp and clean and organized. I really like it.

Awesome job. :) Like, really, super job. It looks really nice. You guys never cease to amaze me, with all your crazy coding and weird symbols and words and stuff.

Great job, Guni. :)

Guni
03-16-2004, 10:21 PM
This works great, even on safari :)Cool - thanks for the Mac user feedback - I was a bit concerned .... Great

Clive
03-16-2004, 10:58 PM
'Quick Reply' Feature

We've just switched on another feature called 'Quick Reply'.

You'll notice an extra little button http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/images/buttons/quickreply.gif to the right of 'reply' in every post... If you click this, it'll activate the 'quick reply' box at the bottom of the page so you won't have to wait for another page to load in order to post your response.

If you'd like more control over your post (ie. change fonts/colours/attach images etc) then rather use the normal way of replying.

C

Guni
03-16-2004, 11:10 PM
One question I'd like to ask you all is whether you think the 'reply' button (bottom right hand corner to every post) should be renamed to 'quote', as it does have the same function as what was previously called 'quote' on the old forum?

Any strong feelings about this? Makes sense or not? Anyone care? ....

Cheers,

Guni

PS: I dig quick reply :D

Carvinite
03-17-2004, 12:18 AM
this is cool

Bongo Boy
03-17-2004, 01:23 AM
Kramer_man is a man of few words, yet he has managed to say it all, I think,

Hey, has anyone tried to edit their avatar? I can find no way to change a custom avatar to another custom one.

Bongo Boy
03-17-2004, 01:59 AM
One question I'd like to ask you all is whether you think the 'reply' button (bottom right hand corner to every post) should be renamed to 'quote',Oh yes..."Quote Reply" might be even better, but "Quote" at the very least. That seems to be a fairly standard interface.

"Post Reply" is redundant. You can't reply if you don't post. In fact, this is even confusing to idiot literalists such as myself. It suggests "Post your reply" to me, which suggests I've already composed a reply and am now ready to post. Thank goodness weapons systems don't have controls like that. Hmmmm, or do they? :D

Finally, since I'm in Bitch Mode (just kidding) what's REALLY odd is that one reply button is on the right side of the screen (and in the gray area) while the other one is on the left side of the screen, outside the gray area. It strongly suggests a) the two controls are not related, and b) the context of the two controls is different. [Having a control in the gray area suggests a control group, to me. Two closely related controls should appear to have the same context.] Neither of which is the case.

Bongo Boy
03-17-2004, 02:07 AM
Did I mention how much I like this site and how grateful I am to be able to enjoy its benefits? :D :D :D

zeppenwolf
03-17-2004, 05:04 AM
Betcha this doesn't work..

|-------------------------|-5-----------------------|-------------------------|-------/5----8-----8-----|
|-------------------------|----8--p5----------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|
|-7B~---------------------|----------7--p5----7--5--|-------------------------|-------------------------|
|-------------------------|----------------7--------|-7--p5-------------------|-------------------------|
|-------------------------|-------------------------|-------8-----------------|-------------------------|
|-------------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|
! 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & |

Hmmm sorry folks, guess I was right. Unless you see the first four bars of Stairway to Heaven solo, this code thing doesn't work. It's here in my typing, but doesn't show up in the post. ?

Eden

Bongo Boy
03-17-2004, 06:06 AM
Shows up fine on my end, Z; all 4 bars are there...scroll bar works perfectly. I DO hope this feature doesn't encourage the use of ASCII tablature though. :)

Zatz
03-17-2004, 07:31 AM
Cool :cool: Great job! Lots of useful features and settings + nice look. I'm amazed! Constant improving!

I have one question. We had 'Today's birthdays' notification in the previous version on the forums main page. Now it seems to be only available in Calendar or didn't I just notice it? I think it was useful cos it has become a tradition to post congrats ;)

Zatz.

Cuno
03-17-2004, 07:36 AM
Oh yes..."Quote Reply" might be even better, but "Quote" at the very least. That seems to be a fairly standard interface.

Finally, since I'm in Bitch Mode (just kidding) what's REALLY odd is that one reply button is on the right side of the screen (and in the gray area) while the other one is on the left side of the screen, outside the gray area. It strongly suggests a) the two controls are not related, and b) the context of the two controls is different. [Having a control in the gray area suggests a control group, to me. Two closely related controls should appear to have the same context.] Neither of which is the case.

I agree with Bongo Boy on the first one, the 'reply' button should be called quote. But i think that the 'post reply' button is in the right place, since it is thread related (not post).

Bongo Boy
03-17-2004, 07:45 AM
But i think that the 'post reply' button is in the right place, since it is thread related (not post).Ah! I see your point--the context IS different.

Cuno
03-17-2004, 07:56 AM
I don't know if it's just my doing, but it seems that when i visit a thread i've already lookad at (such as this thread), i don't get forwarded to the last page anymore...with this thread i alway go to the second page (the third being the last at this moment). I've tried reloading the front page before clicking the thread, but it does not make any difference.

RAINBOW

The caret does not position itself after a tag, i have to manually move it to the end it after a tag insert (such as color). Minor thing, but it got a bit annoying when it made the rainbow text above :D

Guni
03-17-2004, 09:10 AM
OK, here it goes:

1) Custome Avatars are now enabled
2) We will change 'reply' to 'quote' (and leave 'post reply')
3) Today's birthday should be working now (just that there are no birthdays today :-)) Let's look at this tomorrow again
4) I'll look into 'not getting forwarded to the last post' - I noticed this as well

Thanks,
Guni

Guni
03-17-2004, 09:18 AM
And I enabled one more feature: On the homepage under 'What's going on' - 'Currently Active Users' is now accessible by everybody.

zeppenwolf
03-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Shows up fine on my end, Z; all 4 bars are there...scroll bar works perfectly.
Ok, I can see it in NetScrape(tm), but it's all goofed up… In Exploder(tm) there's nothing there. Ah well.

I DO hope this feature doesn't encourage the use of ASCII tablature though. :)
:confused:

Eden

Guni
03-17-2004, 09:59 AM
mmm - OS? browser versions?

Thanks

Guni

CaptainCarma
03-17-2004, 12:11 PM
what the hell...

was my first impression, ´cause I wasn´t expecting any further changes to the forums.
BUT, these changes seem to be pretty cool.

good job again, guys.

Cuno
03-17-2004, 12:52 PM
With the risk of forever after being looked on as a nerd :D - here's some info on the problem with the invisible tab.

MSIE 5 for Mac has problems with the overflow: auto; declaration. See http://sonofhans.net/mac_ie5_bug/. It works if you put the style in a div, and wrap that div in pre, instead of putting the style in the pre. I've attached a test-html and screendump. MSIE for Mac is no longer under development i think, Safari is the default browser these days.

This example may not work for you, since you probably nest a lot of tables(info in the link). Let me know if you want me to spin up the old MSIE and test something for you.

Koala
03-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Just trying the quick reply option, which I must say, absolutely rocks. The one thing I guess I would change is placing the post reply button beside quote on qr, keeping the three on the same line gives you all the options without having to search for the reply button. Hope this makes sense.

Koala
03-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Oh yeah, my girl saw the forums yesterday, she absolutely loves the changes!

Koala
03-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Ummm Guni, something came up. I was extremely happy to see i could read posts simply by mouseovering them when my new posts search returned, but then i was sad to see this doesnt work with all the posts. Its a great option as is qr to avoid waiting for a new page to load (this particularly helps people with 56k modems (although my 512 should be getting here today! :D ).

Guni
03-17-2004, 04:56 PM
I was extremely happy to see i could read posts simply by mouseovering them when my new posts search returned, but then i was sad to see this doesnt work with all the posts. I'm not 100% sure why this doesn't work for all of the posts - I assume I need to rebuild all of the database to work with this new feature. I'm looking for a solution just now.

zeppenwolf
03-17-2004, 05:37 PM
With the risk of forever after being looked on as a nerd :D - MSIE 5 for Mac has problems with the overflow: auto; declaration.
Bummer!

It works if you put the style in a div, and wrap that div in pre, instead of putting the style in the pre.
Uh... Is that something I can do in a post, a hack that'll make it work? Not sure what you mean zackly.

Eden

Cuno
03-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Bummer!

Uh... Is that something I can do in a post, a hack that'll make it work? Not sure what you mean zackly.

Eden
Sorry no, i should have made that post a private message to Guni or Clive. It must be done on the server side...

Like your quiz! But the right answer to Q1 is Fender Bassman :D

Bongo Boy
03-17-2004, 08:27 PM
I was extremely happy to see i could read posts simply by mouseovering them when my new posts search returnedThat is to me the single coolest, timesaving feature of the new interface. That is a GREAT feature. If you were dumb enough (like me) to go after those posts where the Subject is "Hi..." or "Question" or "Idea", now you don't have to--a simple mouse-over can quickly satisfy one's Homer Simpson-like curiousity. :)

zeppenwolf
03-17-2004, 08:34 PM
Sorry no, i should have made that post a private message to Guni or Clive. It must be done on the server side...
Oh, ya know... It really doesn't matter much. It seems to always be me who gets these interfacial glitches. I did download your attachment just fine, so that's progress over the last software... Yay.

Like your quiz! But the right answer to Q1 is Fender Bassman :D
If you mean the '59 Bassman LTD, I would gladly update my sig if I could afford it! If you mean a real '59, my whole neighborhood probably couldn't afford it!! Let's face it, what I got is not that far off, and for $360 The Price Is Right.

We need a Tweed color in the fonts menu...

Eden

DDTonFire
03-18-2004, 12:29 AM
I was extremely happy to see i could read posts simply by mouseovering them when my new posts search returned, but then i was sad to see this doesnt work with all the posts. (Posted by Koala)

Darn, you noticed first! I'm awed by the changes! They're grea-a-a-a-a-t!!!

What does the enhanced mode do? I'm too scared to click some of these buttons...

JeffN
03-18-2004, 01:19 AM
Woah, I love quick reply.

Wicked_Dreams
03-18-2004, 07:39 AM
Innovative without a doubt, but it's too messy, and trust me, when all sorts of pictures and tabs and different colours and font sizes will be thrown around, it's going to be VERY ugly.

There are just too many options and buttons, and the user has too much control, TABS, PHP Code, font size, all sorts of crazy colours.

While it could definetly be something amazing with a little tweaking here and there, as it stands, the older design was more functional, but since everyone else seems to like it, thumbs up, nice to see you guys always trying for something better. :D

phantom
03-18-2004, 09:15 AM
i can't attache powertab files anymore :confused: !

is it meant to be that way? :(

EricV
03-18-2004, 10:55 AM
i can't attache powertab files anymore :confused: !

is it meant to be that way? :(

I had the same problem last night... .ptb isn´t a valid file extension for attachements right now. I assume this will be fixed soon.
Eric

metaljustice83
03-18-2004, 03:58 PM
tryin out the quick reply

metaljustice83
03-18-2004, 04:02 PM
It works and its QUICK!

Cuno
03-18-2004, 07:14 PM
If you mean the '59 Bassman LTD, I would gladly update my sig if I could afford it! If you mean a real '59, my whole neighborhood probably couldn't afford it!!
Hmm...i don't know what Bassman i mean, i've only tried one, i don't have one of my own. But it had one of the best sounds i've ever heard, really brittle and warm tone. The best guitar sound (if i remember correctly) i've ever heard was from a Fender Vibro King. Never tried it myself - the price tag is light years from what i could afford :(

Andsometweak :D

Edit: i checked out some ads for used guitar amps, and the amp i mean is th '59 LTD (i guess). I also found out that the vibro king does not have a master volume...bummer. Maybe too vintage for me ;)

Bongo Boy
03-18-2004, 11:39 PM
1. It would be really cool if, in Private Messages, the control said "Reply" instead of "Quote", since not quoting is apparently not an option. I won't say how long I looked for a "Reply" button and finally gave up and just composed a new email. :(

2. There doesn't seem to be any way to get to the home page from within the forums--maybe include it in Quick Links?

Clive
03-19-2004, 12:20 AM
Innovative without a doubt, but it's too messy, and trust me, when all sorts of pictures and tabs and different colours and font sizes will be thrown around, it's going to be VERY ugly.

There are just too many options and buttons, and the user has too much control, TABS, PHP Code, font size, all sorts of crazy colours.

Hey Wicked_Dreams

I can see where you're coming from and there is the potential for things to be a bit more busy on the eyes.

Personally, I think despite the fact these options exist, the novelty will wear off pretty quickly. I think one of the best new features is the quick reply box, simply because it does save a click and people on dialup will notice a difference here.

The previous version of the software also had functionality for text colours, sizes and code/php insertion, but they were tucked away a bit more I guess.

At the moment we're just testing the waters. Let's see what happens. If things get out of hand, we'll trim the features. So, once again it will come down to the maturity of our posters. A system can only be as good as its users and so far so good :).

Thanks for the critical feedback- it's always more than welcomed!

Clive

Guni
03-19-2004, 12:27 AM
Sorry guys :rolleyes: powertab, mp3 and midi uploads should work again ...

Guni
03-19-2004, 12:51 AM
1. It would be really cool if, in Private Messages, the control said "Reply" instead of "Quote", since not quoting is apparently not an option. I won't say how long I looked for a "Reply" button and finally gave up and just composed a new email. :(quote in private messages does the same thing as quote in the forums - so it does have the same functionality. I actually can understand that there is no standard reply button - if you don't wnat the quote to appear in the new message it just can be deleted. Was there a 'reply' button in the old system? - I can hardly remember but I don't think so.

2. There doesn't seem to be any way to get to the home page from within the forums--maybe include it in Quick Links?
there are actually 2 homepage links - the iBreatheMusic logo + Articles do link to home. I thought we might get away without adding another 'HOME' somewhere :D

Cuno
03-19-2004, 07:43 AM
there are actually 2 homepage links - the iBreatheMusic logo + Articles do link to home. I thought we might get away without adding another 'HOME' somewhere :D

And the third - the footer

Chim_Chim
03-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Ooh,whiggy!

I just popped in here and everything is all weird.
I thought I was having an acid flashback but apparently
it's just a new forum,and maybe this cough syrup. :D

Chim ;)

Cuno
03-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Was there a 'reply' button in the old system? - I can hardly remember but I don't think so.
I don't remember either... but to me a normal reply includes the message you reply to - for reference. Just like a normal email client behaves, although the button normally says 'Reply' there.

EricV
03-19-2004, 11:20 AM
quote in private messages does the same thing as quote in the forums - so it does have the same functionality. I actually can understand that there is no standard reply button - if you don't wnat the quote to appear in the new message it just can be deleted. Was there a 'reply' button in the old system? - I can hardly remember but I don't think so.

I don´t remember whether there was a "reply" button. But one thing that bothered me was that when I DID quote a PM in my reply, I sometimes had a rpoblem because of the fact that you only can put in a rather limited amount of words... I dunno how many letters you can put into a PM, but one time, I quoted a PM, wrote an answer below it, tried to send and it said "Too many letters in this message".
IU also had a PM-conversation with a member once and we had to split up our messages if we wanted to type long ones. Yes, we could have switched to email, too...
Eric

Carvinite
03-20-2004, 01:50 AM
yeah eric the time I tried to PM you I had to cut my PM IN HALF...lol....I had so much stuff in there....lol......oh an this is off topic i know....but I read your greg howe article i really got some good licks outta that thanks man!!!

EricV
03-20-2004, 02:58 AM
yeah eric the time I tried to PM you I had to cut my PM IN HALF...lol....I had so much stuff in there....lol......oh an this is off topic i know....but I read your greg howe article i really got some good licks outta that thanks man!!!
Thanks, glad ya liked it !
I replied to yer most recent PM, too
Eric

Carvinite
03-20-2004, 03:24 AM
thanks......lol...I found another thing I don’t especially like (I am not trying to be like a jackass or anything) but I was just gonna Quick Reply to his message with just a "thanks" and it said "The message you entered was too short. Please lengthen your message 10 characters"....I mean I really really like the new boards...but you guys were asking what we liked and didn’t so I told you guys about it...I hope you guys don’t take it the wrong way or anything....Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan

Bizarro
03-20-2004, 06:05 AM
There is a lot of poking around I need to do. Cool features are everywhere! I really like the "clicking on someone's name and getting a drop-down menu of options" thing. I found it by accident but it's really useful.

Nice work!;)

Wicked_Dreams
03-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Oh yeah, I thought it was just the way things are designed, but quote boxes are cut off from the right, and so is the text sometimes.

Chim_Chim
03-22-2004, 06:24 AM
There's definately some cool features.
I keep finding new features all the time it's amazing.

If you scroll way down to the bottom of a topic it'll show
any similar threads to the one you're viewing that are available.

It's wicked slick!

Cuno
03-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Where did the option of editing my 'small signature' go? The one that appears under the username in posts (mine says senior citizen). I can't find it!

Zatz
03-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Cuno,

yes, I have the same problem with my small sig - it seems to have been discarded to default and now it just says 'Registered user'

Guni
03-24-2004, 03:04 PM
The 'Custom User Title' feature is back - you can find it under User CP > Edit Profile

Cuno
03-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanks Guni! :)

Zatz
03-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Guni,

thanks! :cool:

May I ask what is 'usergroup'? Is it already out there or maybe yet to be implemented?

Zatz

Carvinite
03-25-2004, 12:48 AM
Yes, i have seen these on other boards....what are these 'user groups'?

Cuno
03-30-2004, 10:20 AM
User groups are probably not enabled, i can't find settings for them anyway. My guess is that they are for doing stuff to a number of people at a time, like sending a private message to your top 10 buddies, and just write down the name of the group as recipient. BTW, where is that buddy list these days? No matter, i've never used it.

Attachements: i don't know if it's such a good idea to treat all attachements the same way. It is ok that i gotta be logged on to download a ptb or zip, but images ought to show always IMO. The attachement_id -treatment of images also makes my browser display them in the wrong size, both MSIE for Mac and Safari gets confused. Again, no biggie, just nagging :)