PDA

View Full Version : its getting me down why am i crap

luke_hull
03-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Hey guys erm I was wondering if any one had any advise for me as I have been playing guitar for about 6 months and get lessons and so do my friends, they havenít been playing as long but there learning all this theory and are getting much better than me. Also when we jam they rip good solos and mine are crap manly because I cart think what to do or because Iím hitting dead notes or been really clumsy and the more I mess up the more I think there laughing at me and it really gets me down. I just think like quitting so any advise would be appreciated thanks :confused:

VitoBrata
03-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Hey Luke,

Personnaly id recomend learnig the pentatonic scale in all five postions as this will provide a solid basis for you to begin soloing with. If your teacher has not already introduced you tro this scale then i would definatley ask him about it becuase it is in my opinion, THE most important scale in Rock guitar(which i assume is your preffered style). Try learning 2 patterns per week, and attempt to improvise using these patterns. There are thousands of well known licks availiable that are based around this scale ad learning a few more licks will only beneift you when it comes to SOLO time. In terms of technique and hitting dead notes, well try and takes things slow and focus on being as accurate as possible. If you practice hammer-ons,pull-offs,slides and bending, then you will feel much more confident when navigating the fretboard...

Hope this helps and remember, If your willing to put in the time, rewards will come quicker than you can imagine.:)

flathead
03-14-2004, 03:18 PM
First off RELAX. You should be playing guitar because its fun. Its not a competition of who can learn the most theory or who can play the fastest licks. I've been playing on and off for about 12 years or so and I'm not very good either. I've often had the same feeling as you do right now. So I can relate to how you feel. Just go at your own pace. Maybe you're trying to learn EVERYTHING all at once. Vitobratta (great guitar player by the way:) ) said learn 2 pentatonic patterns a week. Nothing wrong with that but I would say, heck just learn 1 for now, but really LEARN it. Go slow and really learn it. Even if it takes you a week to learn it. Start slow and learn where all the 'key' notes are in this one pattern. You don't have to be able to play it at Yngwie speed. And only when you TRULY feel comfortable playing this pattern then learn another pattern. Like I said before maybe you trying to learn too much too quickly. So you're kinda just halfass learning bits and pieces of stuff that may be too advanced for you right now. Start with the basics and don't build on the basics until you're comfortable.
Don't worry about if you think your friends are better than you. Alot of it depends on how much you practice and there will ALWAYS be someone who you think is better than you. But its NOT a competition. Relax.

And how are your friends better than you in what way? There has been much discussion here about who is the best guitar player. Other people can probably put it more eloquently than me but its impossible to say who is the best. Music is a subjective thing. Best at what? Best sweep picker? Best legato player? Best rythym player? Best improviser? Best song writer? Best alternate picker? I mean I think I could alternate pick a scale faster and sweep pick faster than B.B. King (at least I pretty sure I could:) . So do I think I'm a 'better' player than him because I can do something he can't. HELL NO.
so relax you're not in a competition.

Guila
03-14-2004, 04:57 PM
great words flathead i agree entirely with you. you couldn't put it in better perspective

wild_child
03-14-2004, 07:53 PM
i think it can be healthy to be competitive with your friends when it comes to guitar playing - i know i have always been determined to be 'the best' amoung my friends, and its been a good source of motivation to get good at all kinds of stuff.

when i started playing i was progressing slowly and taking things at a pretty relaxed pace - maybe practacing for about half an hour everyday moving up to a couple of hours after two years or so. but then a load of my friends got guitars for christmas a year ago and since then have been progressing alot faster than i ever did - this motivated me to really concentrate on playing alot more, without this new mentality, i'm sure i wouldnt have passed grade 6 last year.

however you seem to be taking a 'half empty' perspective of 'why arent i as 'good' as them? i'm gonna quit!' when you could be taking the 'half full' perspective of 'look how good theyre getting, i'm gonna practice more!'

Guila
03-14-2004, 08:26 PM
luke, you call yourself crap cuz you never saw me playin :D i really suck but i dont give a **** because i can play some songs i always wanted to. whenever you feel like crap get one song that you can play that you really really dig close your eyes and imagine you're in a concert with girls flashing their tits to you. that must bring you up

KlausP
03-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Relax...6 months of playing the guitar is really NOTHING. Don't put yourself under pressure too much. Good things take their time to ripe.
I've been playing for many years but some things I learned only recently (the great education on this web site helped a lot!) and I'm happy with it.

flathead
03-16-2004, 02:29 PM
imagine you're in a concert with girls flashing their tits to you. that must bring you up

lol when all is said and done it all comes back to one thing, girls

Bongo Boy
03-17-2004, 03:07 AM
1. Relax.
2. Go slower.
3. Pay attention to details.
4. Go slower.
5. Practice.
6. Go slower.
7. If you you make a mistake, stop, then
8. Go slower.
9. Practice.
0. Proceed to Step 1.

Rant Mode ON.

I've been playing for over 2 years and still can't play jack, BUT, I can play it WAY better than I could 2 years ago. Without question in my mind my greatest triumph is that after two years, I'm still playing the guitar and have no intention of stopping. That is, for me at least, 98% of the game.

As Andy Warhol (or George Patton) once said, "Eighty percent of success is showing up." :)

...and as many popular state lotteries say, "You can't win if you don't play."

Get frustrated, disappointed or angry with yourself or compare yourself to others too much and you may find you hang it up. Decide NOT to do those things--you're in control.

Get a recording device--one of those Korg, Boss or Tascam recorders. Record the best of your practice sessions and file those recordings away, then listen to work you did a week ago. If you followed ANY of the steps above, you will see improvement, and that's ALL you should be looking for.

Rant Mode OFF.

Bongo Boy
03-17-2004, 03:20 AM
John Scofield, after 30 years guitar, "I think I'm just beginning to understand this instrument."

Les Paul, after 65 years of guitar, "If you're just starting out, my advice is that you'd better be determined enough to sacrifice a million hours practicing." and "...don't even attempt it unless you're going to enjoy it."

Decide to enjoy the journey or don't make the trip, because the destination will have changed by the time you get there.

Chim_Chim
03-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Competition can be good but in my opinion not necessarily for a beginner.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

And I really liked Bongo Boy's posts.

Zatz
03-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Never call yourself crap. You might consider using a word 'beginner'? I mean it. I know this kind of depressive state of mind when you take your guitar, pick a wrong note and say - 'I told you my playing sucks'.

I remember somebody's signature here on forums. It said something like 'Wrong note? No - just b9 in the bass'. I love it.
Relax, man.

Warm regards and good luck to a future great player Luke_hull,
Zatz

phantom
03-23-2004, 10:38 AM
And I really liked Bongo Boy's posts.

me toooo!!!

bongo boy is definately the one to listen to you when you lost track in the dayly guitar insanity. he'll reminds you on your humanity.

let's go and have a beer bongo. :D

Bongo Boy
03-24-2004, 02:06 AM
let's go and have a beer bongo. :DYou don't have to ask Bongo twice when it's beer you'd be talkin' about. Thanks.

In the same theme, I just read Steve Vai from this month's Guitar World:

"I'm not naturally gifted; I had to work very hard to develop my chops and techniques."

So there you have it...a guitarist's guitarist comin' at you in shorts and quarts. I'm not convinced Vai is such a humble man, but I also don't think he bull****s, either. So...after you've indulged yourself for a few moments and done the 'poor, poor pitiful me' thing (I think we ALL do), then it's time to get up against the wall:

"Shut up an play yer guitar."

luke_hull
03-24-2004, 08:41 PM
thanks a lot for all your uplifting statment chears

oRg
03-26-2004, 05:57 AM
You just gotta have patience with yourself. Don't discourage yourself becuz your not keeping up with your friends. I try not to compare myself to friends but rather strive to be great like Zakk Wylde, Fredrik Thordendal, Alan Holdsworth, Steve Vai, Eric Vandenberg, Thorsten Koehne, and Rick Garcia. They are all great guitarists and know worlds more than me. It doesn't mean I'm gonna drop guitar and say screw it I suck. You gotta understand there will ALWAYS be someone better then you, not to sound discouraging, but there will. You should worry about YOUR playing and not your friends. Each person takes a different path when it comes to learning guitar. You should be comfortable with your playing and not worry about everyone else. I've been playing for about 12 years as well and I guarantee you there's some people out there that have been playing for half the time and are better than me. That can sweep and alternate pick faster than me. What you need to do is play for yourself and no one else. YOu need to be satisfied with your playing and not care how far someone else is coming. One thing I have to say though is I'm really glad to see alot of guitarists on here actually say they suck though. Where I come from not many people say it anymore, they the the "I'm God of Guitar" kinda attitude and it's rather cool to meet some really humble people on here.

Chim_Chim
03-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Speaking of Vandenberg,what ever happened to their singer?
He was pretty damn good.

I used to love that song "This Burning Heart Of Mine" or whatever it was called.And of course Adrian Vandenberg also jammed.

EricV
03-26-2004, 11:23 PM
I guess Adrian focussed on being the guitarist for Whitesnake once he joined the band. The success with the band "Vandenberg" was before that.

In the early 90s, he released an album with the band Manic Eden ( I think he sung himself... I have that album somewhere ), it was pretty cool.
Then there were some Whitesnake reunions... I dunno what he is up to today.
Eric

Carvinite
03-26-2004, 11:30 PM
so...any relation?

EricV
03-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Nope =)
Eric

Carvinite
03-26-2004, 11:35 PM
:D.....lol...just checking

Sakkaku
03-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Luke - after 6 months of playing I was better than all my friends, because none of them played guitar! :) Now I take advice from people whom I deem my friends here at Ibreathe who are way beyond me in terms of skill. However, my advice is let yourself be INSPIRED by people who are more competent with their playing, not intimidated. That's a huge drawback right there, letting yourself be intimidated. Let yourself be inspired and stick with it... the end results will be worth it.

Rant: The world needs more guitarists. Too long have the airwaves been polluted with nothing but mindless garbage that some record executive have placed their stamp of pop-approval on. Shred is not dead. It is hibernating!

Luke - Don't give up for any reason. Even if I had only one hand, I would find a way to play the guitar... I'd somehow use my feet, or my teeth, or maybe even attach some kind of device to my body, to never lose the feeling of how good a guitar is.

I've been playing guitar seriously for just over a year, and I have a lot to learn. But what I do know, is that it requires hard work, perseverance, discipline, determination but also, most importantly ENJOYMENT. If you can't enjoy yourself, you've lost the essence of playing the guitar. Put the time in with your practice, and you will improve.

Rock on!

luke_hull
03-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Sakkaku

thanks for your advise and just out of curisosaty can you shread coz i find evan as a laugh when i try my left hand goes out of contoroll that reminds me does and one have any co odination tips chears

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bb kings tone +joe satrianis mean chrome boy guitar +steve vai speed and brain +robert johnson soul selling +stevie ray vaughn blues forms = 1 kick *** guitar player

Sakkaku
03-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Luke - I can play at a 'mid-speed' cleanly, and accurately. To me, that's important, because you have to be able to have both hands co-ordinated the same... it's a pointless exercise to have a really good picking technique, but a really poor fretting technique. The two must go together... so if it's your left hand that is the problem (and you are NOT alone) work through some exercises at the pace that you can play cleanly, and build up your speed.

The thing to note is that we all progress differently. I progress steadily, but fairly slowly, because I have limited time to practice.

I can't shred at the speed I would like to - but I'm working on it everyday. My advice is for you to do the same.

Long journeys begin with small steps.

Dommy
03-30-2004, 10:05 PM
The last thing you should be doing is gettting in a competetion with your friends. Use their playing as an inspiration. Personally, I don't really care what people care about my playing, because I have heard enough positive comments, and I love making my own music and exploring my instrument.

wild_child
03-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Even if I had only one hand, I would find a way to play the guitar... I'd somehow use my feet, or my teeth, or maybe even attach some kind of device to my body, to never lose the feeling of how good a guitar is.

LMAO!

i think losing a hand is the worst thing i could possibly imagine happening to me :eek:

sorry, thats waaay off topic, lol

Sakkaku
03-31-2004, 09:55 AM
You're not wrong Wild_Child - it would be bad, but my point is I love the guitar so much I wouldn't give up even if I was physically handicapped in some way. Hopefully everyone understands that kind of passionate vigor! ;)

oRg
04-01-2004, 05:19 AM
I know what your talking about. I know this guitarist named Don who plays for a rather popular local band. he has only 1 1/2 arms. He lost half of his arm in an automobile accident. Now I kid you not this guy can play Eugene's Trickbag by Steve Vai and Serrana by Jason Becker like there's no tomorrow. IMO I think those kinds of guitarists are the best in the world. It shows a hell of alot of perseverance and love for the guitar to keep playing after something like that.

Sakkaku
04-01-2004, 06:14 AM
Yes it does.

Top shelf :)

razocaine_07
04-02-2004, 12:03 AM
just shows what can be done with hard work and love for the guitar

Sakkaku
04-02-2004, 06:02 AM
It sure does!