PDA

View Full Version : Eric's Etude

The Bash
09-06-2002, 07:42 AM
Here's a little ditty I put toghter combining
sum of the tech outlined in Eric's very cool picking lessons.
It's no great composition but the point's mainly ta use
the tools in a musical mannor.

The Bash
09-06-2002, 07:43 AM
Here's the almighty Midi

Guni
09-07-2002, 09:32 AM
Wow, this is way cool. hehe, well done Bash.

iBreatheMusic's monster lick of the month!!!

Can't wait what Eric has to say to this....

Laterz,

Guni

EricV
09-07-2002, 03:10 PM
Hi guys,

I was offline for like 2 days now, had a bandmeeting with PO regarding their studio-session early next year ( lots of stuff to plan, arrange and consider ).
Anyway...

WOW, this is cool. I feel very honored that you went through all this work, basing an etude on the stuff I wrote. I really like the way it sounds, and it is a cool thing to work on, too... practising it.
What comes to mind is, I was at the rehearsal room this morning, and we talked about working on a keyboard / guitar unisono-thingy... we were planning on doing a piece by Paganini ( we played the first few bars and it sounded really cool ), but hey... it would be cool if we would play this one, wouldnīt it ? :)

Again, thanks a bunch. Not only it it really cool to have my own little etude now, it also is really a neat exercise for everyone to check out after he / she read through the picking articles...
Thanks a lot
Eric

NP: Guess what :)

szulc
09-08-2002, 10:47 PM
Nice Cycle 4 stuff!

The Bash
09-09-2002, 12:11 AM
Cool glad you guys liked the ditty.
And wouldn't it be cool ta hear Eric actually play his own Etude :)

And James you actually should get the credit for enforcing the circle 4/5 thing. I was aware of its importance and had used it on sum level but your post really made me take things apart and really apply it on a concious level. It's really a great tool with a duel kinna thing happening either stay 4/5 within the given key or play with 4/5 and use it to modulate. Well that's a simple view but as a songwriting device I find that little trick very cool.

And we gotta give Guni's sightsinging credit for getting back ta doing it. As oddly enough I actually wrote the whole thing in my head without touching the guitar, just by singing out some options. Course Power tabs Midi helps as you can sit back and evaluate what your doing.

And of course to Eric for all the cool ideas and hopefully to get the licks and ex. put across in a musical mannor. I think that's a point that Eric really tries to make with his ex. that there ex. and important as such but, big but, there only ex. unless used in a musical mannor. I know thats often overlooked, people see a bunch of tech stuff and go what's this gotta do with real music, eveything or nothing depending on how ya use it.

Anyway thnxs guys for advancing my mind and fingers.

EricV
09-09-2002, 12:15 PM
Hey,

that was a great post, thanks again. I agree on what you said about Guni and James and their advice.
I think it is great that you wrote that thing without the guitar in hand. That is something everyone should try. I love doing that, cuz sometimes, I write something totally "un-guitar-like" that way.
Same goes for transcribing stuff that is not actually guitar-stuff. Yesterday evening, I sat down and tabbed out some parts from "A 1000 Miles" by Vanessa Carlton... some of those things translate well when you play it on the guitar, but things like that pedal-tone like intro ( which is repeated a few times throughout the song ) still is a bit different, and it was a lot of fun to try to play it on guitar.

Anyway, you are exactly right about my point regarding using exercises in actual music, and thanks for pointing that out again. A lot of people indeed complain that stuff like sequences and those picking exercises donīt have to do anything with music, but I disagree. And when you listen to guys like Paul Gilbert, Steve Morse amo. you might go "Wow, he must have practised a lot", but you donīt go "Wow, this sounds like boring exercises"...
So there is some stuff that sounds like boring exerise stuff WHEN YOU WORK ON IT, but sounds great when you play it in a musical context, in a song or solo.
And there is stuff like the chromatic runs, which I use as exrecises exclusively... they are meant to help me to improve my technique, synchronisation and picking. I donīt play them in songs.
( Although there are some guys who use fast chromatic licks to a great effect... listen to some of Morseīs songs, where he plays them and it doesnīt sound mechanical either )...

Thanks a lot
Eric

EricV
09-09-2002, 01:56 PM
I am listening to the etude right now, and I really do like the arpeggio part ( one note per string ) towards the end. Sounds really good.
What I really like is that you managed to include several different approaches / technices, such as one note per string, sequences etc.
So, working through this will help everyone to switch between those techniques, and itīs a great addition to the whole picking-topic, because it is important to mix up all the parts you focussed on.
Funny, I am currently working on a new article which deals with a different etude, also incorporating several different picking-techniques...
Thanks again
Eric