PDA

View Full Version : Out of Key Chords

Bongo Boy
08-30-2002, 11:39 PM
I've just begun to look at leadsheets with my thimbleful of newfound knowledge. The Autumn Leaves exercise is still hanging for need of a little more info--but I started looking at Misty too.

Both tunes have, I believe, one single chord not in the key of the song. Autumn Leaves in Gmaj throws in a C#m7b5, and Misty (in Eb) has a nice little Db9. The thing about the Db9 is: the melody note at this point is Bb.

Other than "because it sounds nice" what's happening, and how should I approach understanding what these alien chords are doing here?

The Bash
08-30-2002, 11:47 PM
Hey Bong where do they fall in the progession
can ya write out a few chords before and after

The Bash
08-30-2002, 11:53 PM
The arrangement of Autum leaves I got
has a Cdim7 subing for (B7) the V of the Eminor chord that follows.
But I don't know enough about Jazz to help much without the context of where the chord falls.

Bongo Boy
08-31-2002, 12:05 AM
...yeah the whole thing is laid out in Practice & Performance forum, under "Concept: Playing a Song". I don't know how to cross-post. For Misty however, it's as follows:

It's: | Bb7b9 | Eb-Abm7-Db9 | Eb6-Adim7 | Bbm7 |.

My goodness, why on earth did I choose jazz to start out with?

The Bash
08-31-2002, 12:58 AM
Hey Bongo
I'm assuming the C#m7 b5 is a tri-tone sub for G7 (V) of the Cm7
there, that least makes more sense

The Bash
08-31-2002, 01:04 AM
Actually there just 4ths Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-
In Misty
least that's how I see em now I'm awake :)

The Bash
08-31-2002, 01:09 AM
I wanna stress I may be Wrong :)
there's tones of subs I don't fully understand.
the Abm7 to Db9 sounds like Santanta to me :)

Bongo Boy
08-31-2002, 03:56 AM
...okay, thanks. Here's what I'm going to do--I need to re-study Guni's Chord Scales volumes, then write up all the chord progressions in terms of scale degrees (e.g., II7 - V7 - I7 etc), not worrying about the 'odd' chords for now. After I think I understand what's going on with the 'in key' chords--should this ever happen--then I'll embark on chord substitutions. THat's a topic I know nothing about.

It feels like I have to learn 1st year theory just to pick apart a single, dumb little 32-bar ditty. :(

Just curious--where 'bouts in Illinois? I went to SIU Edwardsville for a while--long, long ago. Lived near Mascoutah, Freeburg (?) and some other place I can't remember.

The Bash
08-31-2002, 08:13 PM
Hey Bongo, I went back and changed my guesses
Sorry, I missed sum obvious things there
trying to dreg up 15 year old information :)
anyway not postive but better than my last guess
BTW about 60miles SE of Springfield.