PDA

View Full Version : sweep picking exercise

jesus
08-30-2002, 09:54 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm far from master sweep picking and tapping techniques, since I'm more concentrated on jazz, blues and classical guitar. Anyway, trying to improve technique I've writen a simple exercise of
sweep picking with a few tap notes. It's a simple exercise in the key of A major, that uses three arpeggio shapes (Major, minor and diminishes) moving a little over the fret. Two first bars are
A major arpeggio tappin the octave, the M7 and M6.
Next two bars are F# minor arpeggio tappin the octave and m7, next bars follow the sequence D major, E major, F# minor, G# diminished and A major arpeggios. I think it's useful to practise sweep picking since it makes you change the arpeggios over the fret in a smooth way.

Hope you enjoy the exercise. See you

Jesus

pd. Next post contains the second part attached

jesus
08-30-2002, 09:55 AM
part two

EricV
08-30-2002, 12:51 PM
Jesus...

Cool, I like those. Actually, theyīre very similar to some of the exercises and licks I come up with ( check out my articles about sweeping and the stretch-pentatonic... there I use a lot of repeating arps with the left hand, while changing the tapped note on top, thereby creating some kind of a little melody on top )...
Also, the sweep-lick in the Zaza-PowWow was kinda that way too.... diatonically moving down or up the neck sweeping triads.

Eric

EricV
08-30-2002, 12:53 PM
Oh, one more thing, just some bit of advice on Powertab...

If you have something like that final measure, where there is a lot of room left at the end, move your cursor into that measure and press "j" ( as in "justify" ). The program will distribute the notes evenly in that measure, making sure there are no gaps.
Eric

EricV
08-30-2002, 01:05 PM
Are you familiar with Jason Beckerīs "Serrana" ?
Itīs one of the songs on the beautiful "Perspectives"-Album. Jason used to play it on the guitar, too, especially at workshops. It features some amazing arpeggio stuff... sweeping all over the place.
Go to his website, CLICK HERE (http://www.jasonbecker.com) and click on "Videos", then click on the link to the first video ( arpeggio-part of Serrana ), to see Jason perform a piece of that amazing... etude at an AIM-workshop.
At about 0:13, thereīs a really cool passage which I like a lot, goes something like this, which is another example of the concept Jesus used in his lick:

jesus
09-04-2002, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the Powertab advice Eric, Nice you like the exersice, and of course I'll check your articles, post and links

See you