PDA

View Full Version : Change from major to minor

Unhorizon
02-17-2004, 02:28 AM
Lets say I'm writing a song(chords and key isn't really important right now), and at some point in the song, I want to change from a minor key to a major key, lets say a pitch axis sort of thing(ex.- B minor changes to B major, likes in Satch's "Always with me, Always with you"), what would be a good way to go about it. Naturally, I would want it to sound natural, kind of like a mood swing. Its kind of like a character in a story who is upset(minor), and then he gets good news(major), and he becomes happy. How would I translate that into musical notes, so that it flows together?

I hope that made sense

phantom
02-17-2004, 10:14 AM
hi unhorizon,
there are many ways to modulate here. my personal favorite would be going straight from major to minor. without warning, and highlighting the thirds in the melody going up or down a halfstep. would be called a modal interchange. definately a powerfull change of mood you'll get that way.
another more smooth method would be changing to minor/major after the diatonic dominant 7th chord. Imaj - V7 - Imin.
going from major to minor even more smoother should work with a modulation using a minor subdominant chord with a minor sixth instead of a fifth. (sixte ajoutée)
Imaj - IVmin6 - V - Imin or
Imaj - IVmin6 - Vb9 - Imin or
Imaj - IVmin6 - II - V - Imin

let me know how it sounds and works out for you
;)
sven

Unhorizon
02-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the tip man, by the way, whos that in your avatar?

phantom
02-18-2004, 07:46 AM
me :)

szulc
02-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Repeat the last idea of the major section up a minor third.